Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Will Humanity Starve To Death? (Read 5014 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Re: Will Humanity Starve To Death?
Reply #30 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 6:36pm

No I don't consider that it should be a 'personal choice of the individual, when they are considering their own quality of life'

I feel that humans are much more important than lower life forms, like 'animals'.....

_/_/_/

and he in lies the biggest issue, humans are a species of animal.

by seeing yourself as superior, you disconnect with the natural world and then proceed to destroy it. Destroying your own life support.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #31 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:10pm

____ wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 6:36pm:
No I don't consider that it should be a 'personal choice of the individual, when they are considering their own quality of life'

I feel that humans are much more important than lower life forms, like 'animals'.....

_/_/_/

and he in lies the biggest issue, humans are a species of animal.

by seeing yourself as superior, you disconnect with the natural world and then proceed to destroy it. Destroying your own life support.

No, it maybe a form of egotism....but I, and mostt humans, believe that the survival of the human species is of paramount importance..

What sort of human Philosophy believes that humans are LESS important than,say, rabbits, or pigeons or sheep???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #32 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 7:46am

Who said less !!! your exaggeration boarders on outright lying Gizmo.

My philosophy is that I am a conscious energy that uses physical bodies to experience physical worlds. So this conscious energy within this body typing, is the same energy within all other human ... and all other life forms, past present and future. My philosophy is to be as self centered as can be for all of me. So I believe all life should be given the best opportunity to experience a full existence.  

So we both are being selfish, I just have a bigger vision of who I am.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 10:38am

Quote:
(haven't worked out the boxes yet)

Use this: ...

Quote:

You seem to have missed the point there gizmo.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #34 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 11:39am

freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 10:38am:
Quote:

Use this: http://www.ozpolitic.com/yabbfiles/Buttons/English/quote.png

Quote:

Oh, and what is the point then??

Advocating suicide of a percentage of the human race, simply to avoid 'endangering' the environment and reducing reliance on animal and fish food sources.... Does that sound reasonable to you??

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #35 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 12:27pm

What needs to be done, as efficiently as possible, is to transition from fossil fuels to sustainable energy.  

As far as world population is concerned, I agree that education is the key.

Regardless of what we do, I think it's inevitable that a considerable chunk of the world's population will die before the end of the century.

The key to success is remaining economically viable so that we can actually do some of these things. We need to use our technology to plan an ordered return to a sustainable world.

It should all be about reducing the harm as much as possible.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 2:19pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 11:39am:
Quote:

Quote:

Advocating suicide of a percentage of the human race, simply to avoid 'endangering' the environment and reducing reliance on animal and fish food sources.... Does that sound reasonable to you??

There are plenty of ways to control population without killing or encouraging suicide. China has achieved something drastic. It is happening in most western countries without any effort at all. In fact our government is handing out huge sums of money to encourage the birth rate. Cutting that handout would achieve a real reduction and would hardly be draconian. Many of the other methods - eg education, women's rights, wealth, are good ideas in their own right.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #37 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 2:45pm

freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 2:19pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 11:39am:
Quote:

Quote:

There are plenty of ways to control population without killing or encouraging suicide. China has achieved something drastic. It is happening in most western countries without any effort at all. In fact our government is handing out huge sums of money to encourage the birth rate. Cutting that handout would achieve a real reduction and would hardly be draconian. Many of the other methods - eg education, women's rights, wealth, are good ideas in their own right.

Well I can think of 4 population control methods of the top of my head.

Of course all have drawbacks...

There's the ZPG method, like China is using....the drawback is, you end up with an aging population, and no one to take the jobs as people retire/die.....which is, incidentally the reason that the Gov is paying people HERE to have children..And of course, it would only work on a global basis if you had a global government...(New World Order, anyone?)

Then there's low effect contraceptives in food, reduces the birth rate..but there again, you run the risk of losing scientific and/or technological skills...because there's no guarantee that the people with high IQ would be among the group immune to the contraception

The 3rd method is hope for a 'death cult'....in which 1/2 or 3/4 of the population become altruistic enough to commit suicide to save the race.....Given that the survival instinct is one of the strongest human drives.....that's not too likely (although it might work out with the 'cult' members bumping of people THEY see as useless)

And lastly...a lottery draw of the whole human population, to decide  who gets 'sacrificed' to racial survival....

Of course you could use the 'Logan's Run' method.......and everyone dies at age 30...and is 'reborn'???

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:15pm

Or, you could just use a condom.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #39 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:17pm

freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:15pm:
Or, you could just use a condom.

Compulsory condoms comes under the 'contraceptive' idea, or even the 'ZPG' idea......

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:34pm

I meant voluntarily. People are more than capable of controlling the population without such draconian measures. Not sure why you keep ignoring this simple fact.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #41 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:44pm

freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:34pm:
I meant voluntarily. People are more than capable of controlling the population without such draconian measures. Not sure why you keep ignoring this simple fact.

Sure, people are capable of controlling the population....

Now all you NEED to do is to convince them to do so....THAT is going to be the problem....

Let's face it....how hard is it to convince the average person to stop drinking at age 20-25 in order to 'save' that person from liver problems at at age 50????

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #42 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:52pm

Seriously....it's hard enough to convince the 'average' person not to drive home from the pub drunk.....and drink driving is a personal and immediate danger..(as in, you have more chance of dying, NEXT friday, if you drive drunk....) How do you expect to get the average 20-35 yr old to realise that unprotected sex, next Saturday, will, or might,  cause the end of Humanity, in 50 yrs time????

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 5:59pm

Quote:
Now all you NEED to do is to convince them to do so....THAT is going to be the problem....

They don't need any convincing. They are already doing it in many countries - another fact you are ignoring.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #44 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 6:06pm

freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 5:59pm:
Quote:

They don't need any convincing. They are already doing it in many countries - another fact you are ignoring.

Which countries...and what percentage of the population???

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print