Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Gillard: Atheist (Read 6570 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Gillard: Atheist
Reply #15 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 7:24am

Religiosity in Australian politics will soon enough be crushed by a deeper Australian instinct... A mistrust of the overtly religious.

Wasn't concern about overt religious affiliation the first sign of public dyspepsia over the appointment of Hollingworth as Governor-General?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 8:01am

It's a weird psyche that we have in this country.
Gillard can get away with so many things because she's a woman.
Not that that's a bad thing, I think it's very refreshing and long overdue.

There's no secret that the ALP has traditionally looked to other people for support rather than forcing people to look to the skies for a belief in some sort of magnificent messiah.
I think a lot of ALP leaders reluctantly attended church to put on a face. I really doubt that you can be a good politician whilst believing in the mumbo jumbo of some other dude's archaic political idealism that got itself an elephant stamp and somehow became a "religion".

It's a bit disappointing that we need some skewed version of equality to be able to have somebody up there that has a veto to call it as she/he sees it. But in the higher name of truth, I'm all for it.

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2010 at 8:07am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 9:58am

She is non-religious. She doesn't have a faith, and describes herself as a non-practising Baptist.

She's also in a defacto relationship. If it was the US, they would crucify her. Now while I'd love to see her elected just to rub it in the faces of the US fundamentalists, I wouldn't vote for her just because of that.

However, her personal life and beliefs is no big deal for us Aussies.  

I think the way the ALP behaved towards Rudd was disgraceful. It was a cold-blooded maneouvre intended to improve their electoral position.

It's a toss-up whether I'd give my preferences to Gillard or Abbot. Gillard was part of one of the most inept and spineless governments I have dealt with. The had the anti-Midas touch. Everything they touched turned to crud, and Gillard was behind most of it.

She has also re-appointed Peter Garret as Minister for Environment Protection, Heritage and the Arts. Can't they find a more appropriate portfolio for him, like special envoy to Southern Afghanistan?

I sometimes wish I didn't have to allocate preferences, because I'd prefer not to this year.  The Caped Crusader may yet end up with my vote, except for the Senate.  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 10:44am

Do you think she might scrap the 'Tax-Free Threshold' for Religions now, in the name of equality for everyone else?

I kinda think, especially when it comes to such HillSongs and Scientologies, that people just attend in the name of 'money-making', rather than learning how to read & write, let alone helping keep the world from becoming illiterate.
I couldn't get married in a Church: it was a case that my Father taught me that Elvis was King and not Jesus and that they hardly ever promoted 'reading/writing' as a gift, instead they sang terrible Christian songs that made my sensitive Elf ears screw up like sucking on a lemon and for once agreeing with my Father ...that Elvis was indeed King.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Gianna

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 2:31pm

I thought it was a stupid question asked of her (by Jon Faine originally).
Once again it's the media who sets the agenda. Their puerile ,vacuous questioning of politicians is a large part of the reason we end up with second-rate politicians.
Similar to the Catholic bashing that has ensued from some quarters  since Abbott became leader.

IP Logged

phantomlady

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 3:13pm

I couldn't care less if she doesn't believe in a god. That's got nothing to do with why I wouldn't vote for her if she was the last pollie on the planet.

And if she is non religious then she should scrap the no tax for religions, but I bet she's not game to do that! 

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 5:47pm

Why are people demanding removal of tax exemption for religions?

IP Logged

Suffragette

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 1:49am

Indeed, what difference does it make what she believes - our system is a secular one. Perhaps the problem isn't with those who don't care, but rather with those who care too much??

IP Logged

northy

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 5:12am

Suffragette wrote on Jul 1st, 2010 at 1:49am:
Indeed, what difference does it make what she believes - our system is a secular one. Perhaps the problem isn't with those who don't care, but rather with those who care too much??

Exactly!

The media in their desire to create a story, have beat it up out of proportion to no-one's surprise.
The media and many of the left have made a big issue of Abbot's religious beliefs although I can't remember anything or any policy statement that he has come out with that is overtly driven by his catholisism.

The media may well continue to try to manufacture something but if either side of politics make an issue of it, it will bite them on the backside, as it should.  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:15am

Good on her for being honest enough to say she was an atheist.

How many people go to church anyway?
I don't know anyone who does.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:33am

I'm a christian but can't find the right church so don't go.

It makes no differerence to me if she is a christian or not,
I vote on their promises and how likely they will be to follow through on them.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #26 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:55am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:33am:
I'm a christian but can't find the right church so don't go.

Sprint - there is a lot of choice out there:

You can go for the "prosperity message " from Hillsong -
right through to the
" be poor & have lots of  poor children "
from the Catholic Church .

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #27 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 2:02am

I feel sorry for Gillard though.
She's gonna find some pretty tough issues soon regarding 'foriegn affairs'.
Will she be tough enough to stand up against the likes of Obama ("how much money can Australia give us in the name of 'friendship'") from the USA, China and its SuperNova economy (too late! Its gonna explode!) and other nations.

...oh thats right, they just got rid of possibly our best/toughest International Polititian since Malcolm Fraser  Roll Eyes

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 8:54am

bobby - i like one within cycling distance of home Smiley
the salvation army was ok, the music was dreary and the topic was money (or a lack thereof).

really, you gotta have upbeat music.
you gotta have a positive message.

but the people there were good.

Where is the "prosperity message, with lots of lovemaking, no kids and peaceful times in the garden or at a BBQ with friends" church ????

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 9:00am

Interesting point regarding shopping for one's religion... Indicates it all may be less about truth and more about feeling good.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print