Mutiny on the Bounty (Read 6310 times)
It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: Mutiny on the Bounty
Reply #45 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:41am

Well I must say.
I'm not at all surprised that my 'opinion' has finally made it to the front page of the Daily Telegraph today.
I didn't think I was alone on my view upon the disgraceful act of Australian Politics.

I predict a growth in votes for Independents, and a continued growth with each election.
No I don't vote for Liberal or Labor, nor do I vote for Independents.
I won't be voting at all, instead I will be FORCED to pay the $500.
Angry

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #46 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 12:54am

Well actually, I caved in and voted for the SEX Party ...I couldn't resist
Grin

I must say, Australian Politics is becoming steadily, dare I say - Soapy.
I can't wait for the balance of power to shift from the Federal to the Independents (who are in turn ruled by us, the common people) and from States to Provincials.
The Federal is our weakest political expression and anything touching the International front, more or less serves the International whim.
The Prime Minister will always serve the USA's will and the Governor-General will always serve the UK. Kev 07' is running straight to the United Nations ....none of which served this Nation and its people. The fact that South Australia had to rally the other States against the Federal on behalf of our 'Water Crises' (no it hasn't gone away), kinda sums up the lack of focus upon the domestic arena.
No wonder Families made in Australia are just buggered up, for want of being sold overseas like everything else that is considered "Aussie as".

Well I can't wait until we sell the Flag, the PM and anything else that is taking us "Forward" upon some other nation's behalf.
Tongue

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #47 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:52am

Nope. I ain't gonna vote AGAIN !

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #48 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:56am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jun 26th, 2010 at 10:35pm:
We are forced to vote for fear of cancelled licence and $500 fine, but apparently it doesn't really matter, as the Polititians themselves vote what person runs Australia as Prime Minister. Its all too common now. I think this act is WRONG, if not ILLEGAL. Where do we draw the line? Before we know it, Labor only serves half a term, before the Liberals move in. I'm sick of being forced to mandatorily vote and all for nothing. So what if Rudd sucks (they all do?), he was the Public choice (no I didn't vote for him) and he should suffer the full term along with the party who put him there for the original contention. This is bordering upon 'mental abuse'.
Anyone else open for this discussion? This 'Mutiny on the Bounty' style of Politics has got to stop (the rot)!

Ummm the cancelled licence and $500 fine is only if you don't pay the first fine....it's the maximum penalty..

When I asked the AEC a week before the election (because my mother isn't able to get to the polling booth)...they told it was a $20.00 fine......which goes up to $75.00 if you ignore the first fine..

I imagine if you ignore the second one it'll go up more , then more etc...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #49 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 3:17pm

Well if one couldn't be bothered to pay the $20 ...why bother with the $500 either?
I was just cutting to the chase.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #50 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 3:36pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 3:17pm:
Well if one couldn't be bothered to pay the $20 ...why bother with the $500 either?
I was just cutting to the chase.

Yeah that's kinda the point isn't it....

Much easier to just pay the $20 and not worry about the $500....after all, what's $20.00 these days??? the cost of a packet of smokes...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #51 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 3:46pm

No, I mean the principle or point of the matter pertaining to the fine, any fine.
If I wasn't going to pay the fine because I don't think its right to be FORCED to vote a 2nd time under duress or that fine ...why would I bother with any following fine, wether it be more or less?
Chances are, I would have my Solicitor fine the Government instead.

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

A fool is certain: an
ignorant fool, absolutely
so

Reply #52 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 11:26am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:41am:
I won't be voting at all, instead I will be FORCED to pay the $500.

Voting is both a privilege and a duty of citizenship. Mandatory voting addresses problems that aren't obvious in secure, peaceful Australia. In the US, for example, generations of African-Americans were disenfranchised by rednecks who lynched any who dared attempt to register to vote. Had voting been compulsory, questions would have been asked. As it was, the rednecks got away with murder.

In voluntary systems, voting tends to skew toward the radical - the mainstream think they have better things to do. Mandatory voting at least gets (almost) everyone to the polls, leading to a more representative result.

In voting, we take responsibility for our government. Whether we like it or not, it is our government. The choice is obnoxious, but it's our responsibility. Refusing to vote is the coward's way - and a bit of a bludge.

Refusing to vote will lead to a fine. Refusing to pay the fine will lead to prosecution. Conviction will lead to a court order to pay the fine, plus another penalty - usually a bigger fine. Disobeying the court order constitutes contempt of court. Contempt of court may lead to a custodial sentence (imprisonment).

Stupid.

My only real issue with the current system is its reliance on people registering themselves. Registration should be automatic at the appropriate age, with details pulled from available records. Not difficult, these days, and probably more reliable than self-reporting.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #53 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 11:53am

Every dog has its day and the Political Industry just had its (at Federal level at least). Why I should be forced a second time for the same thing is beyond me. (especially at Tax Payer's expense that is just pumped into the Media Industry for Personality points)
Because the Public returned a result that two power-hungry control-freak Parties (ALP/Coalition) didn't like or feel comfortable with the fact that things are a bit harder for them to get what 'they' want, rather than what 'we - the People' want.
USA Polititians have to be self sufficient and earn their way into existence to be voted in via a non-mandatory system. USA Citizens are 'free' to choose wether to vote or not. So USA Political potentials have to go around and 'earn' their votes.
I'm not against the Australian 'Mandatory Vote'.
What I am against is that the ball is placed in 'We - the People's' court, but no matter our choice ...the Australian Political Industry is tending to do its 'own thing' anyway (as if it was like the USA system), like swapping leaders or making Independents choose ALP or Coalition ...or make us vote again (and again, if they don't get what they want, and again if they don't get what they want, and again if they don't get what they want).
I hope by next Election, more Indpendents will be empowered, because they seem a better bet to the empowerment of 'We - the People'.
I voted the Sex Party - because I believe that this Country should have a healthy Population growth without relying heavily upon Immigration (no, I'm not Anti-Immigration - for gene pool reasons for starters). So I voted for the 'Aussie Girl'. So long has this Country been reliant upon nearly full-time immigration (No - I don't approve of 'Illegal' Immigration and false 'Refugee' statuses).
But I hope other Parties were voted for too, because 'variety' is what this nation needs (One Astronaut called Australia "The Great Boring Land Mass" ...in subtle jest as he flew over the Continent) and with a lot of 'views' being represented rather than just two (2) (possibly the whim of just UK & USA??) - we will reap a better future and not just "Going Forward" as Gillard would say ...back into the UK & USA way of life.

PS: I'm married to a Security Guard. I don't think imprisonment is a problem to me ...hence why I have a lot of 'time' on my hands in front of a Computer. Wink

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #54 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 1:56pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 11:53am:
... Why I should be forced a second time for the same thing is beyond me.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there. If you didn't vote in the last election, that's where your problem will originate. The only one apparently trying to force a second vote is Abbott. With luck, he'll fail.

... I'm not against the Australian 'Mandatory Vote'...

So why not vote?

...the Australian Political Industry is tending to do its 'own thing' anyway (as if it was like the USA system), like swapping leaders or making Independents choose ALP or Coalition ...

Looks like your issues are with representative Democracy, which is fundamental to Australia's constitution. Your only option is emigration to a country with a different form of government.

... I voted the Sex Party - because I believe that this Country should have a healthy Population growth without relying heavily upon Immigration (no, I'm not Anti-Immigration - for gene pool reasons for starters). So I voted for the 'Aussie Girl'. So long has this Country been reliant upon nearly full-time immigration (No - I don't approve of 'Illegal' Immigration and false 'Refugee' statuses).
But I hope other Parties were voted for too, because 'variety' is what this nation needs (One Astronaut called Australia "The Great Boring Land Mass" ...in subtle jest as he flew over the Continent) and with a lot of 'views' being represented rather than just two (2) (possibly the whim of just UK & USA??) - we will reap a better future and not just "Going Forward" as Gillard would say ...back into the UK & USA way of life.

So you did vote. Your first post indicated otherwise. The Sex Party also featured high on my ticket: Labor last, Coalition second-last.

I'd like to see political parties banned, but there'd still be a need for an organisation to rally support among members of parliament for whoever is going to lead a government. Any such organisation would inevitably be party-like.

PS: I'm married to a Security Guard. I don't think imprisonment is a problem to me ...

Because you have a lot of time to spare? Because you don't believe it can happen?

What happens in such cases is: convicted is ordered to pay fine and serve time. If, after serving time, they still haven't paid then another order is issued: pay a larger fine and serve more time. This can go on indefinitely. For small fines, community service orders usually replace imprisonment, but the size of the fine increases with each cycle.

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #55 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:40pm

If you get fined and ignore it, it goes up but it that's where it stays.

You only end up with a cancelled license if you reside in a state where fines other than traffic fines are passed onto that state's revenue collection dept (eg NSW).

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

#
Gold Member

so

Reply #56 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 7:48am

Life_goes_on wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:40pm:
If you get fined and ignore it, it goes up but it that's where it stays.

You only end up with a cancelled license if you reside in a state where fines other than traffic fines are passed onto that state's revenue collection dept (eg NSW).

So AEC doesn't pursue the issue? Interesting!

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #57 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 12:14pm

I think the 'in-thing' nowadays is just to burn down the local Council, etc.
Maybe this is why those Hobbits live under Bag-End (Capitol Hill) in the Shire (ACT) - a lot safer.

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #58 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 2:29pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jun 26th, 2010 at 11:07pm:
Political Leader who was strong upon an International Front and a United Nations, rather than United States one at that.

The milky bar kid was well known internationally for his tantrums and holier then though approach to everything.  He had little respect amongst international leaders and citizens alike and it's a damn shame the Australian Public had to suffer that moron for as long as we did.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #59 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 2:54pm

So he placed importance upon the Public and not his fellow Ministers, especially when they stuffed up (sometimes on purpose). If I asked on a plane for Fish and you served me Chicken, reckon I would be kinda pissed too, eh? At least his tirrades weren't based upon 'alcohol' like Hawke's were - pissing our tax dollars against the wall.
Then he was always abroad upon this nation's behalf (just like Faser was strong upon the International scene, Hawke being strong only Domestically) and left the Housework for his Deputy ...but she read too many Germaine Greer books and wanted more POWER, rather than be stuck at home to make sure the kids in this country grow up better for a better future.
So he loved us, but was never here.
And now we are stuck with someone who couldn't do the her own job properly in the first place.

Loved us, but was never here.

One thing Rudd was unique in, was that if he met a ordinary joe-blow in the public, he would listen to that person with respect - like no other PM ever did. He didn't try to be 'one of the boys' or con us with ' just a typical Aussie cliche', he knew he was a PM and that he was different, but he never forgot that he was just as human as the rest of us. The fact that he slapped Joe-Blow on the back and then went behind closed doors and bitch-slapped his fellow ministers around for not doing their jobs properly or for not trying hard enough for WE - THE PEOPLE ...kinda sums up why he was shafted.

Rudd is gaining the same popularity once again.
I remember when I lived with one of the three original Anti-Aparthied Dissidents from South Africa (the other two were shot before they got to safety here) and he always reminded me with a spanner in his hand (while he fixed his bike) "That Kevin Rudd will be your next Prime Minister" and this was in 2003 - when he was just a backbencher.

A lot of employers hire people with a positive, approachable and up-beat personality over someone who is qualified these days.
Why?
Because you can train that person how to do the job that you want them too, but you can't (unless you run a Pyschological Practice or something) teach a person how not to be an arsehole or pleb or bludger ...unless you hire a Psychologist, etc. Even sacking them, they still don't learn.

Rudd was ok by me, I hope he does ok by the World now via the United Nations. The fact that the little blonde Aryan-looking Mr Peabody doesn't follow the Anglo-Saxon Empire path of the USA/UK/etc
like Howard did for Bush, just goes to show who he really is.

And no I didn't vote Rudd in.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print