perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Re: For the Record
Reply #1590 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 12:53pm

Why Another 50% Correction Is Possible

All of sudden… volatility.

Well, that is what it seems like anyway after several years of a steady grind higher in the markets. However, despite the pickup in volatility, the breaks of previous bullish trends, and a reversal in Central Bank policy, it is still widely believed that bear markets have become a relic of the past.

Now, I am not talking about a 20% correction type bear market. I am talking about a devastating, blood-letting, retirement crushing, "I am never investing again," type decline of 40%, 50%, or more.

Demographics
One of the bigger concerns for the market going forward is the simple function of demographics. Famed demographer, Harry Dent, discussed the impact of the trends within the economy as the mass wave of "baby boomers" becomes net-distributors from the financial markets (most importantly, draining underfunded pension funds) in the future. To wit:

"At heart, I'm a cycle guy. Demographics just happens to be the most important cycle in this modern era since the middle class only formed recently - it's only been since World War 2 that the everyday person mattered so much; because now they have $50,000-$60,000 in income and can buy homes over 30 years and borrow a lot of money. This was not the case before the Great Depression and World War 2.

And based on demographics, we predicted that the U.S. Baby Boom wouldn't peak until 2007, and then our economy will weaken - as both did in 2008. We've lived off of QE ever since."

The issue with the demographics is that they have only gotten markedly worse. Furthermore, the strain on pension funds has only mounted as required returns to sustain their viability have failed to appear. As I discussed previously:

"An April 2016 Moody's analysis pegged the total 75-year unfunded liability for all state and local pension plans at $3.5 trillion. That's the amount not covered by current fund assets, future expected contributions, and investment returns at assumed rates ranging from 3.7% to 4.1%. Another calculation from the American Enterprise Institute comes up with $5.2 trillion, presuming that long-term bond yields average 2.6%.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4227407-another-50-percent-correction-possible?...
=====================================
With Demographics, Energy & Climate Change, WE HAVE A UNIQUE SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES, which will determine final outcomes, NOT POLITICIANS, NOT CENTRAL BANKERS & NOT OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #1591 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 1:26pm

I wouldn't trust anything Economical coming out of North America.

If Economics was a Black Man - then I would trust and follow the Asian Economy which is run by an Academic.
While the North American one is run by a 'Labourer' who is only interested in the size of his dick.

But the position of Prime Minister in Australia is to always 'serve' the USA.
Just like the position of Governor-General is to always 'serve' the UK.
...that really doesn't leave Australia with too much of an option now - does it?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1592 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:52pm

Jasin wrote on Dec 15th, 2018 at 1:26pm:

If Economics was a Black Man - then I would trust and follow the Asian Economy which is run by an Academic.
While the North American one is run by a 'Labourer' who is only interested in the size of his dick.

...that really doesn't leave Australia with too much of an option now - does it?

Whilst I agree, I wouldn't restrict it to North America, THERE ARE QUITE A FEW WITH VESTED SHORT TERM INTERESTS, who are trying to change outcomes, MAINLY SO IT BENEFITS THEM.

But, the major influencing factors will rule out, in the end!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #1593 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 11:55pm

perceptions_now wrote on Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:52pm:
Jasin wrote on Dec 15th, 2018 at 1:26pm:

Whilst I agree, I wouldn't restrict it to North America, THERE ARE QUITE A FEW WITH VESTED SHORT TERM INTERESTS, who are trying to change outcomes, MAINLY SO IT BENEFITS THEM.

But, the major influencing factors will rule out, in the end!

Well my vested interest here in Australia is to take this country into the 'future', rather than relying on the past.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1594 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 12:09pm

Plunge Protection Team About To Strike Again

Summary
The plunge protection team [PPT] is real.

The plunge protection team has been called together.

We could soon see the stock market rise again thanks to the PPT.

The Plunge Protection Team [PPT] is formally called the Working Group on Financial Markets [WGFM]. Created by President Reagan’s Executive Order 12631 in 1988 in response to the October 1987 stock market crash, the WGFM includes the President, the Secretary of the Treasury, the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, the Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4230043-plunge-protection-team-strike?ifp=0
====================================
Has the PPT arrived?
The Dow overnight was UP 1086 points (4.98%)!
What Changed to the Positive? - NOTHING!

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #1595 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 10:07am

The_Barnacle wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 9:31pm:
perceptions_now wrote on May 15th, 2016 at 3:06pm:
I expect 2016 & 2017 to be crunch years!

I will now make a prediction of my own. on the 1/1/2018 when I remind you that your prediction was wrong, you will explain that events have delayed the collapse and you now confidently predict it will happen in 2018 & 2019.

Lets see if my prediction comes true........

One year on and still no sign of the collapse.
It hasn't been a great year for the stock markets and Trumps trade war might signal a recession but there is still no sign of the great economic collapse that has been forecast for at least the past two decades

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #1596 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 3:22am

No sign? What r u blind?

The figures are skewed like never before. All those believers in perpetually rising house prices have copped a clobber without even an interest rate rise.

Property price collapse even to a small extent will bring this country to it's knees, like I've said for ages.

Now watch what happens.
Your super is going to bail-out funds, like they always had planned for you.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1597 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 10:29am

Well, well, well, another session on the US market,
with MORE INTERVENTION!?

WE ARE NOW, WELL INTO IT & THAT WILL BECOME APPARENT,
EVEN TO THOSE WHO PREFER TO LOOK THE OTHER WAY,
including those in Politics, Economics & other areas!

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1598 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 3:50pm

perceptions_now wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 10:29am:
Well, well, well, another session on the US market,
with MORE INTERVENTION!?

WE ARE NOW, WELL INTO IT & THAT WILL BECOME APPARENT,
EVEN TO THOSE WHO PREFER TO LOOK THE OTHER WAY,
including those in Politics, Economics & other areas!

Btw, the last DOW session (overnight), was "interesting"?!

In the earlier Futures session, the US market was Down around 400 points & the DOW was Down around 400 points at the start of the overnight session!

BUT, after increasing in early trading, it then took another Dip, before after rising around 140 Points in the last hour or so, to finished up about 19 points???

MORE PPT?!

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1599 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 11:48am

Demographics Point To A Bear Market For The Next 5 Years

Summary
The market volatility we've seen is indicative of an inflection point between a bull and a bear market.

This bear market will last at least 5 years as Baby Boomers divest and Millennials lack financial resources to invest.

We'll see an unusual conjunction between growth and value in stocks.

Guarding against inflation will be more important than keeping the market afloat.

"Demographics explain everything", to paraphrase University of Toronto professor David Foot in his book, Boom, Bust & Echo.

The Facts
Let's start by laying out the facts vital to this hypothesis.

Baby boomers born from 1946-1964 are currently 54 to 72 years old (as of the end of 2018).

Generation Xers aged 38 to 53 were born between 1965-1980.

Millennials born between 1981-1996 are aged 22-37 currently.

The Projections
According to Pew Research, Millennials will surpass Baby Boomers as the largest cohort in 2019.

However, Baby Boomers will continue to be the dominant generation from a political perspective for at least the next five years - they still own most of the assets, hold the top jobs and positions of political power. They've also experienced advocates for getting what they want.

As they move into retirement, more than a strong stock market (which was very important to them as they accumulated and grew their assets), they will want low inflation. There is nothing more frightful to a person on a fixed income than rising prices.

They'll also want a strong dollar, as it'll enhance their retirement years, not the least of which is through the ability to travel. But the threat of loss is the greater motivator, so low inflation will be their greatest concern.

The central banks in both countries will begin to shift their decision criteria from a strong stock market and even a strong economy to low inflation. Perhaps all three can co-exist peacefully as we've experienced recently, but if it comes down to a choice, fighting inflation will win.

Which, of course, means that there's an increased probability of rising interest rates and an end to loose monetary policies.

However, even without rising interest rates, the stock market will soften. Boomers will begin to make net reductions in their financial asset purchases and indeed will begin to sell them.

They will transition their portfolio from growth assets into income and safety - bonds and dividends. Although a falling stock market can be painful, it's not entirely without benefit. Lower stock prices mean better dividend yields for retirees. Higher interest rates also mean better bond yields.

Financial asset purchases for Millennials will also slow down as they enter into the housing market and begin raising families.

The only people making net financial assets purchases will be Generation X. Growth stocks, an asset they would normally favor in this period of their life cycle will be unpopular and hence cheap. There'll be an unusual merger of value and growth during this time, and evidence of this is already emerging in the falling prices for M-FANNG type stocks.

Baby Boomers will also downsize. They'll sell their larger homes and buy smaller ones and condos. Of course, this is the same size that first time home buying Millennials will want too. I'm forecasting firm prices in smaller homes, but softer prices in larger ones. A situation that will favor Generation X.

In approximately 5 to 10 years, the political power of Boomers will be noticeably waning and Millennials will begin their ascent. This will also be coupled with increased ability to invest.

What will Millennials want? Bigger homes, easier credit, and rising stock prices. The start of a new credit cycle and bull market.

====================================
There are actually a FEW MAJORS influencing Factors -
1) Demographics
2) Energy
3) Climate Change
AND, what arises from these in terms of Demand (or lack of) & Debt!

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1600 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:28pm

Only 356 more sleeps before the start of "Roaring Twenties" Mk11 ... the wise will win, the novices will lose

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #1601 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 3:30pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
Only 356 more sleeps before the start of "Roaring Twenties" Mk11 ... the wise will win, the novices will lose

You are starting to sound like Jasin.

Given that the notation of the year is nothing more than a human construct. Why would it have any effect on markets? Especially some superstition about a 100 year anniversary?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1602 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:15pm

Economic Breakdown Starts In East Asia Due To Collapsed Births And Childbearing Populations

Summary
The growth in demand that creates the foundation under the economies of East Asia (consisting of China, Japan, South/North Korea, Taiwan, and Mongolia) is falling away.

From 2000 through 2016, this region (spearheaded by China) represented 48% of the global growth in total energy consumption.

So, when I tell you these countries are economically entering long-term domestic declines (or perhaps outright collapses), the impacts will reverberate everywhere.

The growth in demand that creates the foundation under the economies of East Asia (consisting of China, Japan, South/North Korea, Taiwan, and Mongolia) is falling away. These nations (combined) equal slightly more than 20% of the global population and consume 27% of total global energy.

Why domestic economic decline or collapse? This is simply following a massive population decline, which has already taken place (past tense). The chart below details the 44% fall in births since the double peaks seen in East Asia in '67 and '89.

Taiwan
Annual Births: 58% decline or -250 thousand births annually from 1980 peak
Childbearing population: -37% or -3.5 million by 2035 from 1995 peak

Japan
Annual births: 62% decline or -1.5 million births annually from 1950 peak
Childbearing population: -40% or -18 million by 2035 from 1974 peak

South Korea
Annual births: 69% decline or -730k births annually from 1960 peak
Childbearing population: -31% or -8.3 million by 2035 from 1995 peak

China
Annual births: 45% decline (as of 2018) or -13.7 million births annually from 1989 peak
Childbearing population: -31% or -177 million by 2035 from 2005 peak

Childbearing vs. Elderly Populations
East Asia's working age population (15-59yr/olds) vs. 60+yr/old population, chart below. Surging elderly against falling working age population.
The 2020 through 2030 decade will be a demographic hell. 60+ year olds will increase by 122 million against a decline in the working age population of nearly 80 million. This will break all the bad promises made in the good times and bring an economic/financial firestorm.

Conclusion
Unfortunately, I don't have any solutions to resolve what is about to take place. I could show similar demographic issues among East Asia's primary export markets: in Europe (a population that consumes 14% of global energy), Eurasia (consuming 8%) or N. America (consuming 21% of global energy). But growth in these regions is in the past tense, and it was only East Asia (China) that was able to delay the ultimate economic fall via the greatest debt gambit in history. Unfortunately, it was always doomed to fail and an indefinite period of outright global decline is now underway. Interest rate cuts, deficit spending, and central bank buying of assets will not fix or ameliorate the declining demand nor allow adequate growth to sustain the current system. It's time to stop pretending we can grow our way out of the debt hole/asset bubble we are in amid a long-term decline which is just getting started.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4233018-economic-breakdown-starts-east-asia-due...
=====================================
There are charts included in the article, unfortunately they are not transferable!

As previously stated, there are actually a FEW MAJORS influencing Factors -
1) Demographics
2) Energy
3) Climate Change
AND, what arises from these in terms of Demand (or lack of) & Debt!
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2019 at 5:01pm by perceptions_now »  

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #1603 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 12:12am

It seems to be that the national debts are not really meaning much.

As far as I can see, the fiat system has collapsed already.

They have so many people in debt worldwide through the housing (basic necessity) scam. Mortgage payers supposedly need to respect the demands of bankers, however, the bankers don't seem to need to apply that same respect.
What gives?

Coincidently, all western nations imposed new taxes on foreign property investment and China placed restrictions on allowing money out of their country.....All at the same time! Isn't that an amazing coincidence?

Now they have the flies in the trap.
No interest rates for retirees or those who thought that they were in a postion to retire.

The only avenue for some income is the "volatile" share market that keeps getting unnaturally pumped up by QE, corruption, plunge protection, or whatever else you want to call it.

Then what happens when the rest of the flies are in the trap?
The stock market dives, dividends go to shite and everybody is an acquiescent slave, that's what happens.i

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #1604 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 3:58pm

Those are pretty substantial population declines in Asia.
Are they wising up to 'quality' over 'quantity' for once?
Maybe only the rich are allowed to breed over there now and the poor are like lemmings over the cliff once they are pass their use-by date?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 ... 117
Send Topic Print