Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Re: For the Record
Reply #1440 - May 15th, 2016 at 3:06pm

The_Barnacle wrote on May 15th, 2016 at 11:37am:
perceptions_now wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:36pm:
oh dear wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:06pm:
Sold my shares yesterday, time will tell if I have made the right or wrong decision  Grin

We were a little ahead of you, then.

I did some research, in late 2006 and I concluded that there would shortly be a Global Downturn, so we sold all of our shares, in the early part of 2007.

That meant, we missed out on the last bit of the Global Shares Peaking, around October 2007.
But, it also meant, we missed out on the 50% Decline that followed.

And, if I am correct, it will also mean, we will miss out on the continuing Decline, which I suspect may see the OZ ALL Ords finally show a number starting with a 2.

It also meant that you missed out on 9 years of dividends.

So what did you do with your money after you sold your shares? Term Deposits are currently about 2% and that is before tax. If you hid your money under the mattress then it would have lost 22% of it's value due to inflation.

Trying to predict a global depression is a futile exercise. This thread started 6 years ago and still hasn't got it right. On another forum a member had been predicting an imminent global collapse since the turn of the millennium.

If we ever do have a global depression then it will likely come from somewhere no body expected (although no doubt there will be a few "experts" who retrospectively predicted it)

Oh, I'm sure we did miss out on a few things!

But, with the OZ All Ords still some 20% Down on its October 2007 Peak & Global Markets about to seriously Decline again, by 50% plus, I am ok with our decision to get out of shares!

That said, you are partially right, in that trying to predict dramatic Economic moves, from a timing perspective, is certainly "quite difficult"!

But, whilst the timing is very difficult, the ultimate direction is pretty much set in concrete, given the Global basics, involving -
1) Demographics
2) Energy - Supply, Demand & Pricing
3) Climate Change
4) Debt - at ever Rising levels, particularly post the 2007-2008 Crash

That said, I expect 2016 & 2017 to be crunch years!

Anyone wanting to catch up with likely future directions, I strongly suggest that they should look at issues 1,2 & 4, in particular & they should start with Japan, Europe & the USA.

Here, in OZ, we have also been influenced by China, in a major/positive way,until relatively recently. But that has now started to Decline and we are now bound to go into Decline, no matter what "any of our politicians" may say about "Jobs &/or Growth"!

Good luck, with whatever strategy, you elect to follow!!! 

PS - I actually started talking about these issues in early 2007, on the Yahoo boards. I said a Downturn was coming, which was/is correct  and in fact, we are still in that Downturn.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1441 - May 16th, 2016 at 12:49pm

The Cost Of An Aging World

Summary
They go a long way towards explaining if asset prices are facing a long-term structural headwind or tailwind.

The great thing about the data is that you can get precise, high quality numbers 20, or even 50 years in advance.

Regular readers are well aware of my fascination with demographics as a market driver.

They go a long way towards explaining if asset prices are facing a long-term structural headwind or tailwind.

The great thing about the data is that you can get precise, high quality numbers 20, or even 50 years in advance. No matter how hard governments may try, you can't change the number of people born 20 years ago.

Ignore them at your peril. Those who failed to anticipate the coming retirement of the baby boomer generation in 2006 all found themselves horribly long and wrong in the market crash that followed shortly.

Currently, only Japan (26.4%), Italy (21.7%) and Germany are so burdened with that number of old age pensioners. France (18.7%), Switzerland (18.2%), and the UK (18.1%) are about to join the club.

The implication is that the global demographic dividend the world has enjoyed over the last 40 years is about to turn into a tax, a big one.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3974920-cost-aging-world?ifp=0
===================================
1) In fact, I would suggest the Demographic influence is actually likely to extend beyond the 50 year mark, perhaps going out as long as 70-80 years!
2) Governments &/or CB's MAY well be able to influence "some" Demographic outcomes, But that would depend on the nature & size of the Demographics.
In the current example, of the Baby Boomer generation, Governments & CB's are VERY UNLIKELY TO SUCCEED IN SUBSTANTIALLY CHANGING OUTCOMES, certainly they can not change things back to how they were!
In addition to Demographic issues, there are also the following factors, which are also in play -
1) Energy - Supply, Demand & Pricing
2) Climate Change
3) Debt - Already Large & Growing rapidly

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1442 - May 21st, 2016 at 9:32pm

The Data Is Getting Worse

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3976015-data-getting-worse?ifp=0
====================================
An Increasingly Deteriorating Outlook

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3976010-increasingly-deteriorating-outlook?ifp=0
Echoes Of 1999: The Tech Bubble And The 'Asian Flu'

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3975970-echoes-1999-tech-bubble-asian-flu?ifp=0
This Market Is Tapped Out And Due For A Big Drop

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3976235-market-tapped-due-big-drop?ifp=0
All on the same day!
Have fun reading!

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1443 - May 22nd, 2016 at 2:16pm

Mother Of All Head And Shoulder Patterns And China Just Completed The Right Shoulder

The global economy and finance are all about growth (increasing flow) and not about equilibrium (stock). The ultimate driver of growing economies and finance has been millenniums of population growth. A growing quantity of people has meant more buyers, more consumers, more demand. So, if the growth or flow of demand is waning... that should matter... a lot.
Like entering an ice age after 10,000 years of warm. The expected response to something like that would be all out. Not a surprise that 4 decades of interest rate cuts have been used to incent a decelerating base of consumer growth to debts untold. It's all in an attempt to maintain centrally determined rates of growth far above what rising population, jobs, wages and savings can sustain.

Quantity of Growth
Take a gander at the chart below, annual global population growth from 1950 to present and the OECD population growth estimations through 2050. You might notice a... HEAD AND SHOULDERS pattern!!! 1988 was the head of annual global population growth... 1973 was the left shoulder and 2012 was the right shoulder.
(see article for charts)

Conclusion
China was, in essence, the right shoulder to the greatest head and shoulder pattern in the history of mankind. Central banks and federal governments will do everything in their power to maintain the present system. They will attempt anything and likely everything to maintain what ultimately cannot be maintained. Unfortunately, no one knows how much is too much and the economic, financial and societal ramifications. Invest accordingly?!?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3976555-mother-head-shoulder-patterns-china-just...
I would suggest, as I have, that Demographics, Energy & Climate Change, will bring about some massive changes!

http://pro.wallstreetdaily.com/TAO_ROGERS_EXT/LTAOS575/?h=true

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1444 - May 24th, 2016 at 11:27pm

RBA governor Glenn Stevens warns property not 'easy road' to riches

Residential property investment would never be a fail-safe get-rich scheme, Australia's central bank chief warned on Tuesday, saying prices would fall just as they had risen.
Reserve Bank of Australia governor Glenn Stevens said despite the success of some investors over the years, "the assumption that there's an easy road to riches through leveraged holdings of real estate . . .  is not a great strategy".

"I suppose as an economist, I would say that if supply and demand are equilibrating without massive changes in pricing, that sounds like a market working quite well," he said.
"Whether in two years' time that's how the market will look, I don't know, but we certainly were not building enough [houses] at one point.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/rba-governor-glenn-sevens-warns-prope...
Well, now the RBA can rest easy, knowing they have given themselves a possible future, "I told you so"!

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1445 - May 25th, 2016 at 12:50pm

Reserve Bank governor Glenn Stevens says election winner faces 'years' of budget repair

The outgoing central bank governor, Glenn Stevens, has declared whomever wins the federal election on 2 July will inherit substantial heavy lifting on budget repair, as the campaign descended into a day of partisan finger-pointing about budget “black holes”.

In comments anticipated to be his final public intervention before leaving the Reserve Bank of Australia, Stevens said the bank concurred with updated forecasts produced by Treasury last week about the state of the nation’s books but he said the official outlook amounted to everything is OK as long as nothing goes wrong.

“The budgetary situation will be OK if nothing else goes wrong,” Stevens told his audience in Sydney. “You can’t really assume in life that nothing will go wrong over an an extended period.

“I suspect there are quite some years of hard repair work ahead for whomever is the government over the period ahead.”

Stevens also noted conditions would be more favourable if economic growth was stronger. “Growth is proceeding, it would be good if it was a bit stronger, but it’s not too bad.”

Stevens also defended the RBA’s system of inflation targeting, rejecting calls from some economists for a rethink of the system.

He said inflation targeting was “not a rigid thing that demands kneejerk reactions”, it was a system with sufficient flexibility to deliver what was required.

Stevens noted many approaches had been tried but the current system had worked and “you wouldn’t want to be without it”.

He also addressed the housing market, warning the bank was keeping a close watch on the leverage in the system.

The outgoing governor was also asked about China’s economic transformation. He noted Beijing was “trying to manage a profound epochal transition” and there was no textbook for how to do that, because no country had ever attempted the transformation that China was attempting on the scale it was attempting.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/24/reserve-bank-governor-glen...
So, WE don't need to re-think OUR system, BUT the TEXTBOOK WON'T WORK for CHINA, so THEY MAY NEED TO RE-THINK???
WHAT A LOAD OF OLD COBBLERS!

The fact is WE (Globally) are now in NEW TERRITORY & have been for quite some time, BUT Politicians (ALL of them), Central Bankers (All of Them) & TPTB have largely BURIED THEIR HEADS IN THE SAND & HOPED that "SOMETHING" would come along, to solve these NEW PROBLEMS, for them, SO THAT THEY COULD CONTINUE WITH THE STATUS QUO, WHICH BENEFITS THEM!
That hasn't & won't happen and it is now a matter of Timing, for when the Proverbial hits the fan!!!

THEY will then plead IGNORANCE, which as usual, IS NOT THE WHOLE STORY!
THEY KNEW, BUT DID NOTHING, BECAUSE IT MEANT THEY GOT THEIR BENEFITS, FOR JUST A LITTLE LONGER!!!

AND, we allowed them to do it!
It's well past time, when WE need to SHOW THEM THE WAY, BY KICKING OUT EVERY INCUMBENT, UNTIL THEY FINALLY GET THE MESSAGE!

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1446 - May 28th, 2016 at 2:01pm

Add It Up... And It Doesn't Add Up

The growth of population has been the primary driver of global demand growth and growth in consumption. Rising wages have been largely offset by rising prices (inflation), so the primary basis of growth in demand is good old growth in population... and the deceleration in population growth should be very worrying for those expecting the next decade or two to look anything like the past seven decades.

The chart below gathers the combined annual growth of the 15-64 year old population of the OECD, China, Brazil, and Russia against the Federal Reserve-set Fed Funds Rate (%), global debt, and global GDP. To be honest, it's a very good fit showing very bad things to come, based on the current modus operandi.

(have a good LOOK at the Chart, which I can't seem to put on here, it says much!)

The annual adult population growth peaked in 1988, but the FFR had already begun its southward turn in advance of decelerating population growth. Of course, debt (the substitute of the decelerating population growth) was already responding, although global GDP didn't respond nearly as well.

Continuing deceleration of population growth offset by rate cuts incenting ever-greater debt loads (with continually underperforming GDP) was the central bank's only play.

And now, as population growth and decelerating demand really begin to wane, the playbook is basically exhausted save for one play... simply print money with which to buy assets and "permanently retire" those assets.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3977633-add-add?ifp=0
1) Everything has limits!
2) We are now approaching the limits of the CB Debt driver, which is the last recourse of TPTB & I expect sometime later this year or in 2017, we will see what happens as the GFC2 gets underway, fullsteam!

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1447 - May 29th, 2016 at 12:18pm

Major banks' profit growth to slow: Fitch

Australia's major banks face soft profit growth amid growing macroeconomic risks linked to low interest rates and government tax policy, according to Fitch.

The credit rating agency believes low interest rates and government tax policies have likely contributed to risks that include rising household debt and diminishing housing affordability related to strong house price growth.

It highlighted continued challenges for Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, National Australia Bank and ANZ from the downturn in the resources sector, which has already led to an increase in bad loans in WA and Queensland.

'Fitch expects soft profit growth in 2016, mainly reflecting asset competition, low interest rates, moderate credit growth and rising impairment charges,' Fitch said in a statement on Friday.

'Some portfolios, such as resources, are likely to continue experiencing asset-quality pressure due to weak commodity prices, which Fitch does not expect to improve in the short-term,' Fitch said.

Fitch said a hard landing for the Chinese economy could hit the big Australian banks, but that such a scenario is not its base case.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/business/company/2016/05/28/major-banks--prof...
In my opinion, the Credit Ratings companies are more part of the Problem, than part of the solution.

That said, there are a number of Global & Local issues, including those raised in this article, which means that the next 70 years, will be nothing like the last 70 years!
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2016 at 1:40pm by perceptions_now »  

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1448 - May 29th, 2016 at 1:41pm

perceptions_now wrote on May 29th, 2016 at 12:18pm:
Major banks' profit growth to slow: Fitch

Australia's major banks face soft profit growth amid growing macroeconomic risks linked to low interest rates and government tax policy, according to Fitch.

The credit rating agency believes low interest rates and government tax policies have likely contributed to risks that include rising household debt and diminishing housing affordability related to strong house price growth.

It highlighted continued challenges for Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, National Australia Bank and ANZ from the downturn in the resources sector, which has already led to an increase in bad loans in WA and Queensland.

'Fitch expects soft profit growth in 2016, mainly reflecting asset competition, low interest rates, moderate credit growth and rising impairment charges,' Fitch said in a statement on Friday.

'Some portfolios, such as resources, are likely to continue experiencing asset-quality pressure due to weak commodity prices, which Fitch does not expect to improve in the short-term,' Fitch said.

Fitch said a hard landing for the Chinese economy could hit the big Australian banks, but that such a scenario is not its base case.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/business/company/2016/05/28/major-banks--prof...
In my opinion, the Credit Ratings companies are more part of the Problem, than part of the solution.

That said, there are a number of Global & Local issues, including those raised in this article, which means that the next 70 years, will be nothing like the last 70 years!

Sorry, I had to go out, before finishing that last post, so I have just now finished it.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #1449 - May 31st, 2016 at 9:31pm

perceptions_now wrote on May 15th, 2016 at 3:06pm:
PS - I actually started talking about these issues in early 2007, on the Yahoo boards. I said a Downturn was coming, which was/is correct  and in fact, we are still in that Downturn.

Are you sure about that? Or were you unsuccessfully predicting an economic collapse in 2007 which you have retrospectively changed to a "downturn".

I expect 2016 & 2017 to be crunch years!

I will now make a prediction of my own. on the 1/1/2018 when I remind you that your prediction was wrong, you will explain that events have delayed the collapse and you now confidently predict it will happen in 2018 & 2019.

Lets see if my prediction comes true........

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1450 - May 31st, 2016 at 10:01pm

The_Barnacle wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 9:31pm:

Are you sure about that? Or were you unsuccessfully predicting an economic collapse in 2007 which you have retrospectively changed to a "downturn".

I expect 2016 & 2017 to be crunch years!

I will now make a prediction of my own. on the 1/1/2018 when I remind you that your prediction was wrong, you will explain that events have delayed the collapse and you now confidently predict it will happen in 2018 & 2019.

Lets see if my prediction comes true........

Yes! That whole statement is correct!
Whether it is called a Downturn or a collapse, is more a matter of timing, which is more about what stage of this process we are in a any given moment & just how much of a delay the CB's, Governments & TPTB have put up, BUT THAT IS PURELY A DELAY NOT A FIX!

As I said, how much of a delay the CB's, Governments & TPTB have put up, BUT THAT IS PURELY A DELAY NOT A FIX, just look at Japan!
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2016 at 10:40am by perceptions_now »  

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1451 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 1:20pm

EIA World Crude Oil Production

The EIA has apparently stopped publishing its International Energy Statistics. Instead they are now publishing an abbreviated version on their Total Energy web page titled: Tabel 11.1b World Crude Oil Production. Here they publish crude + condensate production numbers for Persian Gulf Nations, Selected Non-OPEC Countries, Total Non-OPEC and World. The "Selected Non-OPEC Producers" are Canada, China, Egypt, Mexico, Norway, Russia, United Kingdom and the United States. They have just released their latest data through February 2016.

All the data below is in thousand barrels per day and through February 2016 unless otherwise noted.

They have world C+C peaking, so far, in November 2015 at 80,630,000 bpd. February production was 79,653,000 bpd or 977,000 bpd below the peak.

They have Non-OPEC peaking in March 2015 at 46,504,000 bpd and down by 925,000 bpd in February to 45,579,000 bpd.

They do not publish the OPEC C+C numbers but it is easy enough just to subtract the Non-OPEC data from the World data and get the data. OPEC C+C failed to breach its 2012 peak but did reach 34,562,000 bpd in July 2015, but by February 2016 it was down 488,000 bpd to 34,074,000 bpd.

China has peaked. The only question left to be answered is how fast will she decline?

Mexico managed to stem their decline for a few months but their production has begun to decline again.

Russia has been a real shocker. No one, inside or outside Russia, expected them to increase production by over 200,000 bpd over the last few months.

The USA is, of course a big part of what is happening to world oil production, and will continue to play a big part. I think US production will continue to decline for another year or so. After that? I think production will flatten out then increase slightly. But the boom times very expensive shale oil brought are over.

Iran is the main reason the price induced decline has not become obvious.

In conclusion: In spite of the recent increase in Russian production as well as the slight increase from the North Sea, in spite of the dramatic production increase from Iran due to the lifting of sanctions, world crude oil production is in decline.

But… the decline has only just begun. The price collapse caused the plateau in world oil production that began about March 2015. However, the decline did not actually begin until January 2016. The dramatic rise in production from Iran has kept the decline from becoming obvious to everyone. However, when the May production numbers come in, I think it will then become obvious to everyone.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3978668-eia-world-crude-oil-production?ifp=0
It all about Demand & Supply!
Demand has already started to come off the boil & Supply is in the process of doing the same!

There will no doubt, be UPS & DOWNS, in both Supply & Demand, But the Longer Term Trend, will finally show a DOWNTURN IN BOTH DEMAND FOR & THE SUPPLY OF, OIL and that will have ramifications, which will intermix with the other MAJOR ECONOMIC INFLUENCERS, including DEMOGRAPHICS, CLIMATE CHANGE & DEBT!!!

Oh & Btw, I wouldn't think it is co-incidental that the EIA has decided to stop publishing since 2014, in the previous format! 
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2016 at 1:26pm by perceptions_now »  

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1452 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 12:29pm

It is just possible that "the system" is not quite the "lone wolf" situation, which is most often portrayed?

It may be a "bit more" pervasive, than commonly thought!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #1453 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 3:11pm

Perceptions - Maybe companies have finally reduced their oil production as the prices have been so low they are losing serious cash.

We have had an oil glut for over 5 years.
Oil producing coys have nowhere to store excess supplies.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #1454 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 6:25pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 3:11pm:
Perceptions - Maybe companies have finally reduced their oil production as the prices have been so low they are losing serious cash.

We have had an oil glut for over 5 years.
Oil producing coys have nowhere to store excess supplies.

As I said Sprinty, this is MORE ABOUT the Basics of Demand & Supply!

There will no doubt, be UPS & DOWNS, in both Supply & Demand, But the Longer Term Trend, will finally show a DOWNTURN IN BOTH DEMAND FOR & THE SUPPLY OF, OIL and that will have ramifications, which will intermix with the other MAJOR ECONOMIC INFLUENCERS, including DEMOGRAPHICS, CLIMATE CHANGE & DEBT!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 ... 117
Send Topic Print