Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
public transport subsidies (Read 4185 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
public transport subsidies
Jun 22nd, 2010 at 6:38pm

How much should public transport be subsidised? Should we ditch rail and focus on busses?

Taxpayers' share of rail fares increases, while CityTrain passengers continue to decline

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/taxpayers-subsidise-every-rail-trip-while-citytrain-passengers-continue-to-decline/story-e6freon6-1225880113638

EACH time a passenger travels on southeast Queensland's beleaguered rail network it costs taxpayers almost $10, despite major hikes in fares.

Six months after big fare rises were introduced, new data casts doubt on State Government plans to reduce the subsidy on the public transport network.

Figures released to The Courier-Mail show the Government will pay about $542 million to subsidise the southeast's CityTrain network this financial year, compared with $501 million last year.

It means that for every passenger trip taken on CityTrain, the State Government pays $9.51, up from $8.25 last year. With an average fare per journey of $2.36, it takes the total true cost of travel to $11.87 a trip.

Patronage of the rail network has dropped from 60.7 million trips in 2008-09 to an expected 57 million this financial year.

TransLink attributed the fall in passengers to a change in the way the number of trips was officially measured.

Journeys on the regional Traveltrain network, which carries significantly fewer people, cost taxpayers an average of $329 per trip, according to Budget papers.

By comparison the subsidy for the southeast's bus network is $2.18 per trip, up from $2.07 last year.

On January 1, the Government introduced up to 40 per cent increases on paper tickets and up to 20 per cent rises in the cost of go card fares, with plans for annual increases of 15 per cent a year from 2011 until 2014.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said on announcing the fare increases, that they would reduce the per-trip subsidy paid out by the Government.

"For every dollar that a passenger spends on a fare, taxpayers spend three in subsidy and that ratio needs to decrease rather than increase in the next five years," she said in October last year.

But the data shows the fare increases have had little impact so far on the State Government's per-trip contribution, with the bus and rail subsidy on the public transport network rising to 74 per cent of the total cost, compared to a Government target of 70 per cent in five years.

"A reduction can be achieved over time and on such a large network – not just in the space of six months," Ms Nolan said yesterday.

She attributed the increase in the subsidy for rail to new rolling stock, extension of services to Varsity Lake and other new services.

"At present we're putting a great deal of energy into providing more services and more seats across the network," Ms Nolan said.

"I don't think anyone is complaining that we're providing more services.

"The alternative is either saving money by cutting services or greatly increasing fares."

Robert Dow, spokesman for commuter advocacy group Rail Back on Track, said the Government should focus on increasing the frequency of train services rather than imposing higher fares to bring the subsidy down.

"We have a massive asset in the rail network but because of poor frequency it is under-utilised," he said. "If you actually increase the train frequency, it becomes a preferred means of transport, you increase the fare box revenue and the subsidy goes down."

Opposition transport spokeswoman Fiona Simpson said the Government should not write a "blank cheque" to cover the cost of Queensland's public transport.

"There has to be transparency in the costing and there currently isn't that," she said.

"There shouldn't be a blank cheque for unlimited subsidy.

"People have to see where that money is being spent and how it can be done better – there is no transparency in the figures that are published by Government."

Taxpayers fork out for rural rail services

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/taxpayers-fork-out-for-rural-rail-services/story-e6freoof-1225882454682

TAXPAYERS are being forced to cover a massive blowout in the cost of regional rail services with the subsidy for a single passenger on some services more than a business-class flight to Vanuatu.

Four years after the State Government laid down a "use it or lose it" ultimatum for regional passenger services, new figures released to The Courier-Mail show the cost of the services will reach $145 million this year as patronage falls.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan yesterday raised questions over the viability of the train services.

Three of the eight Traveltrain services cost more than $1500 per person, including the Westlander, which runs between Brisbane and Charleville, and the Gulflander, which runs from Normanton to Croydon.

The subsidy on the most costly service – the Inlander train between Townsville and Mount Isa – will skyrocket more than 40 per cent this year to $2034 a passenger.

Under the subsidies, more than $1 million a week is shelled out to take 2500 passengers between Brisbane and Cairns on the Tilt Train and Sunlander.

Ms Nolan said the costs were concerning. She also said if communities felt money could be better spent elsewhere, then they should consult with the Government.

"I'm concerned about the high rate of subsidy for Traveltrain," she said. "These services are a historical part of Queensland Rail, but such a high subsidy for such small numbers does raise questions of viability."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Re: public transport subsidies
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 6:48pm

Dude...feel lucky you live in QLD...In NSW, the public transport (buses ,trains and ferries) have to compete on a level 'playing field' with the private industry......Which means higher fares, lower maintinence and crappy vehicles.....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 6:49pm

ALL public transport should be subsidised....

Public transport is, or should be, a SERVICE based industry...not a PROFIT based one....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 6:51pm

How much should it be subsidised? Is $2000 per fare reasonable?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:00pm

The old system (in NSW) used to be a thing called Consolidated Revenue...

There was NO 'profit' based system.....which meant that the equipment was better and the number of 'trips, runs and buses' (which I know more about than the trains..because I'm an ex bus driver, but the idea is the same) is not based on whether the trip is profitable or not....it's based purely on 'Do people catch it?'....

The public transport system worked fine for 60 years on the idea that people want to use it...not on 'does it pay enough to cover the costs'.....

If 5 people catch a bus, or train at 5am to go to work.....then that bus or train serves a purpose....it supplies a service to the public.....and THAT is the real basic purpose to 'Public Transport'...not to make money, that's the reason to HAVE Government supplied Transport....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:03pm

So we should completely ignore the cost?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:11pm

The Inlander runs twice a week in each direction, I believe. Wouldn't it be sensible to offer the service once a week, therefore reducing the cost and number of vacant seats?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:16pm

The cost may be down to track maintenance. That is a lot of track for such little traffic. Also, once you cut back services, people use it even less, because it is less convenient.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:22pm

I wonder how much money they'd lose from tourism if the service stopped. I guess people would just drive or catch the bus if they really wanted to. Greyhound run a daily service from Townsvillle to Mt Isa.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:28pm

freediver wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:03pm:

Pretty much yes....

The whole point to a Government funded service is that it provides basic services, subsidised by tax money, to the members of the public that couldn't otherwise afford those services...

Public schools provide education for the children of families that can't afford the cost of 'Private School' education.....Public Hospitals provide medical care for people who can't afford Private medical care..

And Public Transport provides cheap, affordable transport for people who can't afford personal or private transport...

That's the whole point......the Government provides money, usually from tax revenue, to defray the costs and supply cheaper, affordable transport to the 'poorer' section of society who can't afford more expensive, privately run transport networks.....

Public transport is a subsidised system..it was never intended to make a profit....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 6:39pm

You are honestly suggesting that it is a good idea for the government to ignore the cost of the services they provide? How about public transport to Vanuatu? I want the taxpayers to cover my next holiday.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:07pm

freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2010 at 6:39pm:
You are honestly suggesting that it is a good idea for the government to ignore the cost of the services they provide? How about public transport to Vanuatu? I want the taxpayers to cover my next holiday.

Oh come on Freediver...
You KNOW I'm only referring to services provided within our State,....Or country

Let's not be silly....

Does the Government provide direct Medical services in Fiji?? No of course they don't...except as loans to another government...that's just being silly...

However, social/Government services WITHIN Australia are adifferent matter.

Our Government is expected to provide 'social' medicine, welfare and education......why is 'social' transport that big a difference???

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:13pm

Quote:
You KNOW I'm only referring to services provided within our State,....Or country

Fine. Lord Howe Island will have to do. Or how about a free trip to Fraser at least? It's not like it would not be used. Why should people have to pay full price to get their enourmous 4WD's onto that beach when the government could foot the bill for us?

Quote:
Let's not be silly....

So you were joking about ignoring the cost?

Quote:
why is 'social' transport that big a difference???

Because we consider it immoral to let let people die from preventable or treatable illness because they are poor, or to deny children a basic education because their parents are poor, or to let the poor starve in the street. However, I see no moral dillemma in denying poor people a free or discount holiday payed for by taxpayers. The justification for public transport is economic, not moral.

Or to put it more simply, cost does matter.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:15pm

freediver wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:03pm:

NO of course we shouldn't 'ignore' the cost..

But Public transport does STILL have a cost......it's just not as much as it would be as if it was ALL private..

With out the 'Government' subsidised system as a 'benchmark', the private system of transport would have no 'control'...so the passengers would be paying fare at WHATEVER amount the private companies decided was appropriate...
Which could, and probably would, lead to a system of fares were it'd cost $8 or $10 dollars to ride a bus from Chatswood to Wynyard...

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:17pm

Quote:
so the passengers would be paying fare at WHATEVER amount the private companies decided was appropriate...

Are you familiar with the concept of competition in economics?

Quote:
Which could, and probably would, lead to a system of fares were it'd cost $8 or $10 dollars to ride a bus from Chatswood to Wynyard...

But it does cost that much. It is not the cost that is in question, but who pays for it.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #15 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:18pm

freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:13pm:
Quote:

Fine. Lord Howe Island will have to do. Or how about a free trip to Fraser at least? It's not like it would not be used. Why should people have to pay full price to get their enourmous 4WD's onto that beach when the government could foot the bill for us?

Quote:
Let's not be silly....

So you were joking about ignoring the cost?

Quote:
why is 'social' transport that big a difference???

Because we consider it immoral to let let people die from preventable or treatable illness because they are poor, or to deny children a basic education because their parents are poor, or to let the poor starve in the street. However, I see no moral dillemma in denying poor people a free or discount holiday payed for by taxpayers. The justification for public transport is economic, not moral.

Or to put it more simply, cost does matter.

Oh come on...which STATE controls international travel???

How does NSW Transport have ANYTHING to do with travel to Lord Howe Island????

Sydney to Melbourne...OK that's believable...But Sydney to Lord Howe or Christmas Island or Pitcarin???

You're just being overly picky and silly....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:19pm

Quote:
Sydney to Melbourne...OK that's believable...But Sydney to Lord Howe or Christmas Island or Pitcarin???

So you would be happy with the government giving me a free holiday in Melbourne? Once the weather warms up of course.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #17 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:25pm

freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:19pm:
Quote:

So you would be happy with the government giving me a free holiday in Melbourne? Once the weather warms up of course.

No,but I'd be happy with the Government giving you a 'subsidised' trip to Melbourne......I'd even be happy with the NSW Government paying 1/3rd of your fare to Melbourne...

However...I'd be even happier with the Government paying 2/3rds of your costs for YOU to travel within NSW on the bus system, on a day to day basis....while you're going to work or school, on a monday to friday basis.....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #18 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:27pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:25pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2010 at 7:19pm:
Quote:

If you pay state taxes within NSW, I don't have a problem with you receiving a subsidy on your government travel, within NSW....

No,but I'd be happy with the Government giving you a 'subsidised' trip to Melbourne......I'd even be happy with the NSW Government paying 1/3rd of your fare to Melbourne...

However...I'd be even happier with the Government paying 2/3rds of your costs for YOU to travel within NSW on the bus system, on a day to day basis....while you're going to work or school, on a monday to friday basis.....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 8:24pm

Quote:
I'd even be happy with the NSW Government paying 1/3rd of your fare to Melbourne.

Can you explain why? Are cheap airfares some kind of fundamental human right? Where does the 1/3 number come from?

What else should the government subsidise? Bread? Water? Beer? Toothbrushes?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #20 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 9:49pm

freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2010 at 8:24pm:
Quote:
I'd even be happy with the NSW Government paying 1/3rd of your fare to Melbourne.

Can you explain why? Are cheap airfares some kind of fundamental human right? Where does the 1/3 number come from?

What else should the government subsidise? Bread? Water? Beer? Toothbrushes?

LOL no, of course not....although the cost of water is, in fact already subisised....just as Electricity USED to be, before the Government privatised Country Energy and AGL...

You do understand that ANY 'socialised' or Government owned/controlled service or company is subsidised???

Public Hospitals, Public Schools, Public Roads etc???

Why should PUBLIC Transport be different???

We, the tax payers, own the public hospitals, so our tax dollars are used to provide cheap, and (supposedly) quality health care at a reduced(subsidised) cost, for the 'poorer' members of society.

We, the tax payers, own the public schools, so our tax dollars are used to provide quality education at a reduced rate, to the families that cannot afford $2000 per term for a 'private' school...

And we , the tax payers, own the public transport system, so our tax dollars  are used to subsidise a mass transport system at a reduced cost, so that it DOESN'T cost $10 to travel from Chatswood to Wynyard, by bus, on a service where there's 1 bus per hour......

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 3:36pm

I'm opposed to transport subsidies. Even though I don't drive a car and rarely use my bicycle for the purpose of reaching a certain destination, and so my main mode of transport is train and bus, I think it's unethical that the government uses everyone's tax moneys to pay for something not everyone uses and by definition is not a public good.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 8:58pm

Quote:

All goods and services should be left to the private sector unless there is a good reason not to. I already explained why those other services are different.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #23 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 3:20pm

freediver wrote on Jun 24th, 2010 at 8:58pm:
Quote:

All goods and services should be left to the private sector unless there is a good reason not to. I already explained why those other services are different.

Hmmm I think we're talking about different areas of public transport.

The OP is about CityRail, which is the local commuter service.....the 'holiday' or long distance rail travel in QLD is Traveltrain.

If it's like NSW, then the local is StateRail and the long distance is CountryLink....From looking at the Countrylink site, I don't think it is all that subsidised.....Wagga to Sydney is $62 one way...

So I'm not sure the long distance is as heavily subsidised as the commuter service......

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 12:27pm

The one with a per passenger subsidy more than a business class flight to Vanuatu is a regional service. The total may be less than commuter travel, just because there are less passengers.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 2:24pm

"Journeys on the regional Traveltrain network, which carries significantly fewer people, cost taxpayers an average of $329 per trip, according to Budget papers.

By comparison the subsidy for the southeast's bus network is $2.18 per trip, up from $2.07 last year.

On January 1, the Government introduced up to 40 per cent increases on paper tickets and up to 20 per cent rises in the cost of go card fares, with plans for annual increases of 15 per cent a year from 2011 until 2014.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said on announcing the fare increases, that they would reduce the per-trip subsidy paid out by the Government.

"For every dollar that a passenger spends on a fare, taxpayers spend three in subsidy and that ratio needs to decrease rather than increase in the next five years," she said in October last year."

You mean this bit?

So for a whole train on a Traveltrain run, the complete subsidy is $329.

Ok so if there are 100 passengers, it works out to $3.29 per passenger...

That's not that extreme an amount is it?

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 3:07pm

I thought it was per passenger.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #27 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 4:00pm

freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2010 at 3:07pm:
I thought it was per passenger.

Well as I understand it....it says 'passenger trip'....to an ex bus driver(like me) a 'trip' is the actual act of driving the bus from point to point...

I'm imagining a rail passenger trip mean a journey (by the train itself) which carries passengers as opposed to a rail freight trip....which carries cargo instead of people....

I'm only basing that on the NSW costings, I freely admit QLD might be different.., but I can't see it being THAT much more.....

Here in NSW, a one way rail journey from Wagga Wagga to Sydney, economy full fare, is $62......a one way plane trip, Wagga Wagga to Sydney, again economy full fare, is $109 dollars...

Now obviously the Airline isn't subsidised....so the 'subsidy' per passenger on the rail trip must be less than $47 .....
Otherwise, it would mean that a train, carrying 300 passengers costs more for a run from Wagga to Sydney than a brand new jet aircraft carrying 40 passengers...

And despite the belief of that Politican who said commercial pilots were only glorifed bus drivers, I'm pretty sure the costs to fly a plane from Wagga to Sydney are a whole lot more than cost of running a passenger train the same distance.....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 8:00pm

Quote:
And despite the belief of that Politican who said commercial pilots were only glorifed bus drivers, I'm pretty sure the costs to fly a plane from Wagga to Sydney are a whole lot more than cost of running a passenger train the same distance.....

Planes don't need tracks.

Have you ever wondered why air travel is so much more common than train travel for any serious distance?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #29 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 4:35pm

freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2010 at 8:00pm:
Quote:

Planes don't need tracks.

Have you ever wondered why air travel is so much more common than train travel for any serious distance?

Mostly because of TIME I think....

6 hours to Sydney by train and 90 minutes to Sydney by plane....

The tracks are already there.....so they're sort of like roads.....

But I still think pilots get paid a lot more for a trip than train drivers...

A commercial pilot makes up to $101, 130 per year and a train driver makes about $56,700....

The running costs for a flight over the Wagga-Sydney run would be at least twice that a train would cost over the same trip..

Just on fuel and insurance......

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #30 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:06pm

Quote:

90 minutes? Are you sure about that? What about security, early check in, the taxi to and from the CBD?

Quote:

Both roads and tracks need maintenance.

Quote:
The running costs for a flight over the Wagga-Sydney run would be at least twice that a train would cost over the same trip..

Are you making the facts up as you go along, or do you actually know what it costs?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #31 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:27pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:06pm:
Quote:

90 minutes? Are you sure about that? What about security, early check in, the taxi to and from the CBD?

Quote:

Both roads and tracks need maintenance.

Quote:

Are you making the facts up as you go along, or do you actually know what it costs?

No I meant JUST 'flight time'.....security, check in etc isn't much more than 30-60 minutes......or wasn't, the last time I flew to Sydney....of course the 'security' back then was.."Are you a suicide bomber..Y/N???

Still, I'm sure the security/check-in is much the same for a train as it is for a plane......

No, I'm 'not' 100% sure on the costs.....but the pilots get paid almost twice what train drivers do...and the aviation fuel is a lot more than diesel, and I'm pretty sure the insurance is a whole lot more for a plane than it is for a train...After all if a wheel falls of a train,  you 'might' have a death...but most likely a few injuries......however if a wing falls of a plane, you have 40-50 deaths...you must admit, that would mean the insurance premiums are MUCH higher for a plane......

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:29pm

Quote:
No, I'm 'not' 100% sure on the costs

Is this your way of saying you have no idea what the costs are?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #33 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:47pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:29pm:
Quote:
No, I'm 'not' 100% sure on the costs

Is this your way of saying you have no idea what the costs are?

No, it's my way of saying I haven't checked the 'actual' costs...but am applying logic instead of real numbers...

I can find the actual numbers if you like.....but commercial pilots get $101k a year (and a plane needs a pilot, a co-pilot and an engineer) a train driver gets $56k a a year and a train needs 1 driver....SO 1 train driver at $1090 per week as a against 3 people ( pilot, co-pilot and engineer) at an average of $1956 EACH per week....if all 3 three get the same pay rate....that's $5800 per week.....Pilots/aircrew can only do 1 trip per 24 hours....so train drivers and pilots get to do about the same number of runs per week.....4-5 trips in a 7 day period....Train drivers cost $1090 per week, pilot/co-pilot/engineer cost $5000+ per week...

Still works out( on logic) as a lot more for a flight than for a train yes???

I'll look for the real costings if you want.....but I seriously doubt  that a train trip will show up as cheaper than either a turbo=prop or jet plane trip....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:54pm

Quote:
but am applying logic instead of real numbers...

I see. Who needs the facts when you can use logic instead?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #35 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:06pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 5:54pm:
Quote:
but am applying logic instead of real numbers...

I see. Who needs the facts when you can use logic instead?

Yeah Logic provides a good approximation of 'facts'....

If 'logic' indicates that air travel costs 150% of the cost of rail travel.....do you 'really' need the $ and cents numbers??

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #36 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:09pm

For example...
If a 'commerical pilots' licence requires a 12 month training course to get the qualification.....and a 'train-drivers' licence requires a 2 week training course to qualifiy...

Which do YOU think will get the higher wage????

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #37 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:25pm

Quote:
If 'logic' indicates that air travel costs 150% of the cost of rail travel.....do you 'really' need the $ and cents numbers??

Yeah. Because your logic could just be wrong.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:26pm

What percentage of the fares do you think go to the pilot/driver?

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #39 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:28pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:26pm:

In a usual 'business'..about 15-25%....i

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #40 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:30pm

aikmann4 wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:25pm:
Quote:

Yeah. Because your logic could just be wrong.

And do you 'really' think that idea that the over-heads, on an 'airline' would be less than a rail system????

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 7:10pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:28pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 6:26pm:

In a usual 'business'..about 15-25%....

Is that your logic at work again, or is there some link to reality there?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print