Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Short term thinking won't work. (Read 4319 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Short term thinking won't work.
May 15th, 2010 at 8:39pm

It seems that many fisheries management plans are developed on the information gathered over the last 50 years.

Now we have people saying that to get a better idea of what "normal" would be, that the scientists need to go back further, and a recent UK study seems to back up that school of thought.

Now most people would consider trawling as an incredibly destructive and stupid way to farm our seas, and if there is a counter argument which would contradict that, I have not heard it.

The saving grace for australian fisheries may have been our isolation, and relatively small population, so for that at least we can be grateful.

Anyway, back to the subject of our comparison between catch sizes of modern fisheries to those of over 100 years ago, a recent study found that they landed four times more fish into the UK in the 1880's than they do today, and they also concluded modern trawlers have to cover 17 times the ground, to make the same catch as their predecessors, which means something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

So if anyone is against marine parks in aussie waters, then perhaps they should look more closely at what has happened in the Northern Hemisphere, and decide if it is better to act now, or just hope it all works itself out.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100504113117.htm

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Short term thinking won't work.
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2010 at 8:53pm

The dramatic reduction in productivity is very interesting. It may be down to damage to the ocean floor from trawlers, as well as overfishing in general. Also Europe also has a lot more problems with multiple jurisdictions over the same patch of water. I'll have a read tomorrow.

The opposition to marine parks you see around here usually takes the form of recreational fishermen opposing the inclusion of recreational fishing in some or all marine parks. They usually all support the idea of tighter restrictions on commercial fishermen. Unless of course they are a commercial fisherman.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2010 at 9:55pm

mozzaok wrote on May 15th, 2010 at 8:39pm:
It So if anyone is against marine parks in aussie waters, then perhaps they should look more closely at what has happened in the Northern Hemisphere, and decide if it is better to act now, or just hope it all works itself out.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100504113117.htm

Your making a few big leaps of faith Mozzak. Ie you point to fisheries problems in the Northern hemisphere with it's large populations  and multi jurastictions in the case of Europe, imply they these problems will inevitably happen here and that marine parks are the only way to fix/ prevent them. Actually the countries that have done the best in making their fisheries sustainable (Australia included) didn't use marine parks as the main management method. Australia with the 3rd largest EEZ in the world imports 70% of it's seafood. NSW imports 91%! If you try to keep up the same puny yield with a network a marine parks in place you may well have to step up ecologically damaging practices like trawling in the open areas to make up for the grounds lost to reserves. Ie yould could end up causing the problem you are trying to prevent!   

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2010 at 10:23pm

Looks like there are some greeny links to this report. Ie Simon Brockington, Head of Conservation at the Marine Conservation Society is an author of the study. Also the paper was a joint effort between MCS and the University of York.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2010 at 11:04am

It probably does have "greenie" links to it, which would cause many to question the objectivity of those involved, but the data at least gives us reason to pause, and wonder how many, and what influences, led to such a massive decline.

Now I won't pretend to know the rights and wrongs of the marine parks idea, and as someone who is possibly the world's worst fisherman, I have no great personal interest in it.
As an old surfer, who only fished because his mates did, to fill in time when the wind was not blowing offshore, my personal experience is limited, but I have lived in a few towns that supported commercial fisheries, and had several mates involved in that industry, my personal view is that recreational fishermen do very little harm.
Commercial fisheries on the other hand, could never be trusted to self regulate, because their only interest is self interest, and their perspective is always, 'short term'.

Illegal poaching is also a problem, especially from asian and middle eastern people who bring their greedy destructive attitude toward all resources, and think nothing of taking any fish, of any size, at any time, if they can make five cents off it.

So we have to address commercial fishing, both the legal, and illegal versions, because it is the commercial fisheries doing the damage at sea, as it is the commercial activities on land that are polluting our waters.

Self regulation, as we saw from the financial sector, and everywhere it is ever used, simply means no regulation, and that is something we cannot allow.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2010 at 11:16am

mozzaok wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 11:04am:
It
Self regulation, as we saw from the financial sector, and everywhere it is ever used, simply means no regulation, and that is something we cannot allow.

There not self regulated Mozzaok. Commercial fisheries are regulated by Government fisheries scientists and managers. Our commercial take is very small by world standards (about 1/20th world average). The fishery has been wound back too ie the Commonwealth Fleet halved from 1200 to 600 boats. In the 1990's there were 7,000 commercial fishermen in NSW waters - now there are about 1000 and the catch has been halved. Imposing a wide ranging network of marine parks in this situation is unecessary and may cause more problems than it solves.

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2010 at 8:27pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2010 at 11:25am

mozzaok wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 11:04am:
It probably does have "greenie" links to it, which would cause many to question the objectivity of those involved, but the data at least gives us reason to pause, and wonder how many, and what influences, led to such a massive decline.

The report uses catches only as a guide to abundance and this should be treated with care. If not restricted and now rebuilt fisheries could be shown to be in a state of collapse too because the catches are down. This was the problem with the Boris Worm - 'no fish by 2050 report'. The study you posted tries to account for effort and efficiency of fishing methods but I wonder how accurate this is. They don't seem to have cross checked with other methods to test the accuaracy of their methodology. In fact they make a big deal out of their findings being far gloomier than any others.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2010 at 12:17pm

Yeah, fair points you raise PJ, and if they were the lone voices saying this sort of stuff, then I would take less notice of what they say, but most "ocean" experts, reckon we have pretty well firked it, and some are gloomy enough to think that we have done that to the point where we cannot bring it back.
Of course I hope they are wrong, but fishing alone is not the only, or even main, pressure on our seas, with rising temperatures, acidity, organic pollution, etc. it is pretty much copping it from all angles, so while parks may not be the whole answer, they do at least try to limit one pressure at least, in the area.
That may not be the fairest way to address the problems, and I think our best approach is to highlight other areas we could control, so as to show our concern for trying to protect the seas, and then lobby for responsible access to certain areas.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2010 at 1:45pm

mozzaok wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 12:17pm:
Yeah, fair points you raise PJ, and if they were the lone voices saying this sort of stuff, then I would take less notice of what they say, but most "ocean" experts, reckon we have pretty well firked it, and some are gloomy enough to think that we have done that to the point where we cannot bring it back..

No fish species has ever been wiped out by fishing and they have amazing ability to recovery in numbers when fishing is wound back - often it only takes five years and less often ten. As to 'most ocean experts' I think it is more the case of one report widely quoted in the media, ie the Pew recipient Boris Worm's report which claimed all the World's fisheries will be wiped out by 2050. As I mentioned earlier his methodology was highly suspect, using as he did catches as a guide to abundance. Prof Ray Hilborn, peer review scientist with the University of Washington, described it as "The most absurd claim ever to appear in a journal regarding fisheries. This will be completely accepted by the ecological community - they have no scepticism."

He also pointed out that the countries that have done well in making their fisheries sustainable (Iceland, Australia, USA and NZ), did not use marine parks as the main management method.

mozzaok wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 12:17pm:
Of course I hope they are wrong, but fishing alone is not the only, or even main, pressure on our seas, with rising temperatures, acidity, organic pollution, etc. it is pretty much copping it from all angles, so while parks may not be the whole answer, they do at least try to limit one pressure at least, in the area.
That may not be the fairest way to address the problems, and I think our best approach is to highlight other areas we could control, so as to show our concern for trying to protect the seas, and then lobby for responsible access to certain areas.

As to other problems such as pollution you have to tackle them head on. Merely banning fishing is not appropriate or effective. As to global warming/ ocean acidification it is not clear as to whether these will actually be a net negative for fisheries. There are in fact signs that a lot of species would benefit, ie productivity will rise. Ie it will be more of a case of winners and some losers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2010 at 7:49pm

Quote:
Now I won't pretend to know the rights and wrongs of the marine parks idea, and as someone who is possibly the world's worst fisherman, I have no great personal interest in it.

Mozz, what do you think of my idea of targetting shore based fishermen with the benefits of marine parks? Some examples:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/fish/marine-park-examples.html

Quote:
Commercial fisheries on the other hand, could never be trusted to self regulate, because their only interest is self interest, and their perspective is always, 'short term'.

I am not sure of your logic there. It may be true for an unregulated commercial fishery, where the main motive is to get to the fish before your competitors. However, once you enter into a licencing regime, people have to buy into the industry, as well as commit to it. Thus they have an interest in it's long term future. The greater financial investment and personal interest in the fishery would also tend to motivate them to approach management issues from an informed and rational perspective.

Quote:
Illegal poaching is also a problem, especially from asian and middle eastern people who bring their greedy destructive attitude toward all resources, and think nothing of taking any fish, of any size, at any time, if they can make five cents off it.

I suspect you may be confusing purely cultural differences with greed and disrespect for the law.

PJ:

Quote:
There not self regulated Mozzaok. Commercial fisheries are regulated by Government fisheries scientists and managers. Our commercial take is very small by world standards (about 1/20th).

1/20th of what?

Quote:
The fishery has been wound back too ie the Commonwealth Fleet halved from 1200 to 600 boats.

I suspect this would have more to do with more economic allocation of resources rather than managing the catch. You don't need a big fleet to catch the fish.

Quote:
No fish species has ever been wiped out by fishing and they have amazing ability to recovery in numbers when fishing is wound back

Many have been sent to 'commercial extinction', and the recovery of some of these is amazing only for it's unexpected slowness or absence. Extinction is kind of a low bar to set as a measure of the success of fisheries management.

Quote:
As to 'most ocean experts' I think it is more the case of one report widely quoted in the media, ie the Pew recipient Boris Worm's

Are you serious PJ? There is a constant stream of reports about this issue.

Quote:
Prof Ray Hilborn, peer review scientist

Can you explain what you mean by the term 'peer review scientist'?

Quote:
He also pointed out that the countries that have done well in making their fisheries sustainable (Iceland, Australia, USA and NZ), did not use marine parks as the main management method.

Did he also point out the the countries that failed also did not use marine parks as the main method - in fact no countries did, because it has only been adopted fairly recently? Did he also explain that it tends to be the more historically successful countries that are now using marine parks mroe widely?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2010 at 8:41pm

PJ:

Quote:
There not self regulated Mozzaok. Commercial fisheries are regulated by Government fisheries scientists and managers. Our commercial take is very small by world standards (about 1/20th).

1/20th of what?

1/20th of the World average fishing pressure.

Quote:
The fishery has been wound back too ie the Commonwealth Fleet halved from 1200 to 600 boats.

I suspect this would have more to do with more economic allocation of resources rather than managing the catch. You don't need a big fleet to catch the fish.

It has reduced the catch, like the reduction in NSW fishermen has. Of course this is not directly proportional to the reduction in boats and fishermen.

Quote:
No fish species has ever been wiped out by fishing and they have amazing ability to recovery in numbers when fishing is wound back

Many have been sent to 'commercial extinction', and the recovery of some of these is amazing only for it's unexpected slowness or absence. Extinction is kind of a low bar to set as a measure of the success of fisheries management.

The point is that the worst case is not usually that bad. PS how many is 'some' for unexpected slowness or absence?

Quote:
As to 'most ocean experts' I think it is more the case of one report widely quoted in the media, ie the Pew recipient Boris Worm's

Are you serious PJ? There is a constant stream of reports about this issue.

Yes and a lot of reports are from the same source, ie Boris Worm.

Quote:
Prof Ray Hilborn, peer review scientist

Can you explain what you mean by the term 'peer review scientist'?

One who reviews the work of other scientists. I could pull up his bio up but you will tell it's all fake because he has put something on the net, no doubt.

Quote:

Did he also point out the the countries that failed also did not use marine parks as the main method - in fact no countries did, because it has only been adopted fairly recently?

Big deal. Any management is better than none or weak management, even marine parks. Another point is that if they don't have the will to implement effective fisheries management are they going to have the will to implement massive marine parks?

Did he also explain that it tends to be the more historically successful countries that are now using marine parks mroe widely? [/quote]

Yes but in this case they are a political phenomenon. The whole point of his article is that there is no need to rush into marine parks when other methods are successful.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2010 at 4:50pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2010 at 7:46pm

Quote:
It has reduced the catch, like the reduction in NSW fishermen has. Of course this is not directly proportional to the reduction in boats and fishermen.

Did this happen in the absence of a reduction in the TAC?

Quote:
The point is that the worst case is not usually that bad.

Isn't the worst case by definition the worst case, hence it is that bad?

Quote:
One who reviews the work of other scientists.

Aren't all career academic scientists of that type?

Quote:
I could pull up his bio up but you will tell it's all fake because he has put something on the net, no doubt.

You should have a look at it PJ. The contrast with certain other bios will be Starck. I am sure he provides ample info to enable people to check his achievements. And probably a lot less fluff too.

Quote:
Big deal.

You are the one who brought it up PJ. It is a totally moot point. You should think about what you are saying before posting it. That other countries have had both success and abject failure of fisheries management without marine parks is neither a positive or negative for marine parks, but merely a reflection of their short history.

Quote:
Yes but in this case they are a political phenomenon.

When has the management of communal resources ever been an apolitical phenomenon?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2010 at 8:12pm

[] Quote:

Did this happen in the absence of a reduction in the TAC?

In the case of NSW yes. Ie it was more the form of an input reduction, that is reducing the ability of fisherment to catch fish.

Quote:
The point is that the worst case is not usually that bad.

Isn't the worst case by definition the worst case, hence it is that bad?

If it's reversible then it's not that bad.

Quote:
One who reviews the work of other scientists.

Aren't all career academic scientists of that type?

Not all of them are Professors as he is.

Quote:
I could pull up his bio up but you will tell it's all fake because he has put something on the net, no doubt.

You should have a look at it PJ. The contrast with certain other bios will be Starck. I am sure he provides ample info to enable people to check his achievements. And probably a lot less fluff too.

I don't think he has his own website - the form of the bio could vary quite a bit depending on where it is posted/ who wrote it.

Quote:
Big deal.

You are the one who brought it up PJ. It is a totally moot point. You should think about what you are saying before posting it. That other countries have had both success and abject failure of fisheries management without marine parks is neither a positive or negative for marine parks, but merely a reflection of their short history.

Duh. Marine parks are being promoted as the only or ideal way to fix overfishing problems so my field evidence is a valid point.

Quote:
Yes but in this case they are a political phenomenon.

When has the management of communal resources ever been an apolitical phenomenon? [/quote]

Traditional methods in the countries mentioned have been far more apolitcal than marine parks in the same countries. Ie the former was mainly left to professional fisheries scientists and managers in consultation with stakeholders. And not an iron triangles of marine park bureaucrats, green activists and politicians.  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2010 at 8:51pm

Quote:
In the case of NSW yes. Ie it was more the form of an input reduction, that is reducing the ability of fisherment to catch fish.

Can you give me some more info on this? Ie, when was it?

Quote:

You don't have to be a professor to do a peer review. Even I have been asked to do one.

Quote:
I don't think he has his own website

All academics I know of have a staff page on the website of the institution they work for. It has a short bio, outlining their areas of interest, and a list of publications. It pretty much goes without saying.

Quote:
Traditional methods in the countries mentioned have been far more apolitcal than marine parks in the same countries.

When they brought in regulation on the 'commercial' sector, bag and size limits etc, it was just as controversial and just as political. And the same accusations were made. Of course, now people are used to them, and even confuse the principles involved with ethics.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2010 at 10:46pm

Well seeing that both FD and PJ are passionate about our oceans, and both seem keen on protecting them, you will probably find these TED talks interesting.
http://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_jackson.html

This one from ecologist Jeremy Jackson is pretty gloomy, but has some particularly interesting images of "tourist fisherman" catch photos, from the same area in the 1950's, where huge fish were almost always caught, to the tiny, by comparison, sizes of the fish caught today.
He also speaks of the massive Cod catches from the past, which virtually destroyed the whole Cod fishery.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sylvia_earle_s_ted_prize_wish_to_protect_our_oceans.htm...
Secondly, another TED talk, this one from Sylvia Earle, with an impassioned plea for the world to recognise the importance of ocean bio-diversity, and to create marine parks, of the magnitude of between 10% to 30% of the ocean, to try and give the ocean a chance to heal itself, as the fraction of 1% currently protected, will not be nearly enough to do the job.
Sure these are a bit airy fairy to most people, but if you really listen to what they have to say, they do not make outlandish claims for political goals, they just care deeply about humanity, and recognise that humans cannot survive, without healthy oceans.
Sylvia Earle used the analogy of an astronaut getting to know, understand, and appreciate his life support systems, as being his most critical task, and suggests we must do the same, by recognising the importance of a healthy ocean for a healthy planet, or as she says, "No Blue=No Green".

Quote:
Mozz, what do you think of my idea of targetting shore based fishermen with the benefits of marine parks? Some examples:

I like that idea, I think that land based fishermen are not the bad guys in this scenario, and they actually provide a great many financial benefits for many communities, as well as being a wholesome, active recreation that has many benefits for the individuals involved.
As Sylvia Earle pointed out, 90% of the world's populations of 'Large Fish', have been wiped out over the last 50 to 100 years, and we know that it is not land based recreational fisherman that have caused that decline.

Quote:
. However, once you enter into a licencing regime, people have to buy into the industry, as well as commit to it. Thus they have an interest in it's long term future. The greater financial investment and personal interest in the fishery would also tend to motivate them to approach management issues from an informed and rational perspective.

I wish it were that simple FD, but I fear that you give more credit to people than they deserve. The fishery that I am most familiar with, was one where all the commercial fishermen were licensed, and had to commit to size restrictions, and seasons, but the simple fact is that it is their living, and if they can make more, by taking more, they will.
Tomorrow is somebody else's problem.
I watched catch sizes decline, average fish sizes drop, and greater effort go in to catch more of what was left, all by people who payed very big money for their licenses.
In fact, if anything the buying of licenses just seemed to provide them with a belief that the ocean owed them, and they were gonna do whatever they could to collect on that debt.

There was huge concern when the Marine Parks issue was first raised, and the opposition from the local fishermen was both strident, and unanimous.
They managed to get the boundaries reduced, to exclude most of their traditional fishing area, apart from a small section near the twelve apostles. Two spots popular with surf fisherman were also excluded in the park, to allow continued recreational fishing from the beaches with the easiest access.

The spread of the Abalone Virus along the coast here, has seen abalone fishermen calling for a total ban of any recreational activities along this coast, once more highlighting that the local fishermen have only one interest, and that is self interest.

Time and time again, commercial fisheries show no interest in any conservation plans, except to oppose them, until it becomes a matter of self interest.
Of course that leaves the average joe with the choice of supporting some pin headed bureaucrats, that may mean well, but who usually do not know their arse from a hole in the ground, or supporting local fishermen whose whole history shows nothing but a repeated pattern of neglect and greed.

It would be nice to see a third option, do you guys have any suggestions?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - May 19th, 2010 at 6:07am

Quote:
There was huge concern when the Marine Parks issue was first raised, and the opposition from the local fishermen was both strident, and unanimous.

The anti marine park lobby goes to great lengths to create the impression of unanimity among fishermen, but it is not there. It's just that marine parks are going in fairly rapidly, so those who support them feel no need to speak up, and those who oppose them do.

What is the feeling towards the marine parks in your area now? How long have they been in?

Quote:
Time and time again, commercial fisheries show no interest in any conservation plans, except to oppose them, until it becomes a matter of self interest.
Of course that leaves the average joe with the choice of supporting some pin headed bureaucrats, that may mean well, but who usually do not know their arse from a hole in the ground, or supporting local fishermen whose whole history shows nothing but a repeated pattern of neglect and greed.

Commercial fishermen have very little political clout. The number of people in the industry is slowly going down.

Politicians seem to make good use of public feedback periods. One of the changes I was promoting a few years ago on the basis of convenience for fishermen got made. The problem with fishing is the level of secrecy involved. Everyone has their own favourite spots and no-one actually knows how many fish are caught from where.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #16 - May 19th, 2010 at 7:49am

The original Marine Park areas that were proposed along the south west coast of victoria, ended up a lot smaller than people expected, and once the systems were actually up and running, most people had no great problem with them.
The point of interest in that area has been the spread of the abalone virus, which has been a stark lesson for local fishermen on how fragile the whole system can be.
Nobody knows where the virus got started, but the feeling that poachers may have brought it to the area has not endeared them to the locals, and the fact that so many go armed now is more a case of tem recognising the threat they face if discovered by locals, whilst committing their crimes.
The tales about the efficacy of sea lice for the disappearance of human remains has been a local legend as long as I can remember, and more than one or two reputed crooks have supposed to have been disappeared in the area over the years.
So, if I were a poacher I would steer well clear of that coast.

The thing that should have got through to all fisheries and wildlife departments is the need for controls to sanitise equipment when it is taken from area to area, and education programs to inform the public, as well as facilities to carry out cleaning, should be provided at all popular fishing spots.
It should even be promoted to the broader community, and the likes of surfers who should be taught to clean their boards and wetsuits before going from area to area.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2010 at 9:48am

] Quote:

The anti marine park lobby goes to great lengths to create the impression of unanimity among fishermen, but it is not there. It's just that marine parks are going in fairly rapidly, so those who support them feel no need to speak up, and those who oppose them do.

What is the 'anti-marine park lobby FD? I have never come across that monolthic entity. Its just your attempt at labelling the oppostion.

What is the feeling towards the marine parks in your area now? How long have they been in?

Quote:

Another attempt at labelling here, ie 'pin headed bureaucrats' and fishermen with a 'greed and neglect ' attitude. No mention of the proffessional fisheries scientist who manage our fisheries or the fact that the fishing effort has been would back substantial by the same scientists and managers.

Commercial fishermen have very little political clout. The number of people in the industry is slowly going down.

Politicians seem to make good use of public feedback periods. One of the changes I was promoting a few years ago on the basis of convenience for fishermen got made. The problem with fishing is the level of secrecy involved. Everyone has their own favourite spots and no-one actually knows how many fish are caught from where.

Rubbish, the feedback (with a few exceptions) has been a sham. The level of green zones has been predetermined (usually 20% in NSW). Sometimes additional area is added in the face of oppostion (eg Byron Bay) or spots are closed to fishing merely because they are popular fishing spots (GBR).  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:05am

] Quote:

Can you give me some more info on this? Ie, when was it?

The mid 1990's. Recreational fishing was given a more of a say at the same time. The commercial harvest is nowabout half what is was before the changes. NSW imports 91% of it's seafood these days. 

Quote:

You don't have to be a professor to do a peer review. Even I have been asked to do one.

Well put it this way - he is at the top of the academic tree.

Quote:
I don't think he has his own website

All academics I know of have a staff page on the website of the institution they work for. It has a short bio, outlining their areas of interest, and a list of publications. It pretty much goes without saying.

Yes perhaps (but you haven't provided it), but I'm sure that there are plenty of other bio's out outside his university that don't list his every paper.

Quote:
Traditional methods in the countries mentioned have been far more apolitcal than marine parks in the same countries.

When they brought in regulation on the 'commercial' sector, bag and size limits etc, it was just as controversial and just as political.

Yes you have said that before but not backed it up. I doubt if you could even provide anecdotal evidence as when these limits were brought in you weren't even born or where in nappies. Also you haven't even got the terminology right. Bag limits apply to amateurs, not commercial fishermen. The former have generally supported and even promoted tigher bag limits and size limits since they were first introduced. 

And the same accusations were made. Of course, now people are used to them, and even confuse the principles involved with ethics. [/quote]

Just a continuation of the original support.

PS: People of your faith in the magical properties of marine parks view them from an ethics point of view.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - May 19th, 2010 at 11:41am

[]Well seeing that both FD and PJ are passionate about our oceans, and both seem keen on protecting them, you will probably find these TED talks interesting.
http://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_jackson.html

This one from ecologist Jeremy Jackson is pretty gloomy, but has some particularly interesting images of "tourist fisherman" catch photos, from the same area in the 1950's, where huge fish were almost always caught, to the tiny, by comparison, sizes of the fish caught today.

Fewer larger fish (within limits) has nothing to do with the long term sustanability of a fishery. As larger fish are caught smaller fish benifit through less competion for food and less predation. In fact maximum sustainable yield is reached when the breeding stock is fished down to 30-40% of the unfished population.

He also speaks of the massive Cod catches from the past, which virtually destroyed the whole Cod fishery.

Is that murray cod? More likely the cause of their decline is degradation of their environment, not fishing. Also note that commercial fishing for them is now banned.  

http://www.ted.com/talks/sylvia_earle_s_ted_prize_wish_to_protect_our_oceans.htm...
Secondly, another TED talk, this one from Sylvia Earle, with an impassioned plea for the world to recognise the importance of ocean bio-diversity, and to create marine parks, of the magnitude of between 10% to 30% of the ocean, to try and give the ocean a chance to heal itself, as the fraction of 1% currently protected, will not be nearly enough to do the job.

There are other ways of protecting it besides locking it up.  

Sure these are a bit airy fairy to most people, but if you really listen to what they have to say, they do not make outlandish claims for political goals, they just care deeply about humanity, and recognise that humans cannot survive, without healthy oceans.
Sylvia Earle used the analogy of an astronaut getting to know, understand, and appreciate his life support systems, as being his most critical task, and suggests we must do the same, by recognising the importance of a healthy ocean for a healthy planet, or as she says, "No Blue=No Green".

Quote:

I like that idea, I think that land based fishermen are not the bad guys in this scenario, and they actually provide a great many financial benefits for many communities, as well as being a wholesome, active recreation that has many benefits for the individuals involved.

So why target recreation boat fishermen? They have to abide by the same bag and size limits. What about all the jobs in the boating industry?

As Sylvia Earle pointed out, 90% of the world's populations of 'Large Fish', have been wiped out over the last 50 to 100 years, and we know that it is not land based recreational fisherman that have caused that decline.

The 90% figure is another Boris Worm effort and has been disputed by fisheries scientists.

[
I wish it were that simple FD, but I fear that you give more credit to people than they deserve. The fishery that I am most familiar with, was one where all the commercial fishermen were licensed, and had to commit to size restrictions, and seasons, but the simple fact is that it is their living, and if they can make more, by taking more, they will.
Tomorrow is somebody else's problem.
I watched catch sizes decline, average fish sizes drop, and greater effort go in to catch more of what was left, all by people who payed very big money for their licenses.
In fact, if anything the buying of licenses just seemed to provide them with a belief that the ocean owed them, and they were gonna do whatever they could to collect on that debt.

They managed to get the boundaries reduced, to exclude most of their traditional fishing area, apart from a small section near the twelve apostles. Two spots popular with surf fisherman were also excluded in the park, to allow continued recreational fishing from the beaches with the easiest access.

For now. Wait for the next review where there will inevitably be moves to expand the green zones.

The spread of the Abalone Virus along the coast here, has seen abalone fishermen calling for a total ban of any recreational activities along this coast, once more highlighting that the local fishermen have only one interest, and that is self interest.

It would be nice to see a third option, do you guys have any suggestions? [/quote]

The status quo (ie without marine parks) is not too bad. Ie with the least fished waters in the World and a lot of stocks on the way due to reductions in the fishing effort.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - May 19th, 2010 at 6:18pm

Quote:
The thing that should have got through to all fisheries and wildlife departments is the need for controls to sanitise equipment when it is taken from area to area, and education

What sort of distances are you talking about?

PJ:

Quote:
What is the 'anti-marine park lobby FD? I have never come across that monolthic entity.

I didn't describe it as a monolithic entity.

Quote:
Its just your attempt at labelling the oppostion.

Do you think I am being unfair by labelling them as being opposed to marine parks?

Quote:
Rubbish, the feedback (with a few exceptions) has been a sham. The level of green zones has been predetermined (usually 20% in NSW).

That doesn't mean the feedback is a sham. There is a lot more to it than the % coverage.

Quote:
or spots are closed to fishing merely because they are popular fishing spots (GBR). 

You should start a new thread on that topic. I have never seen any evidence for this.

Quote:
Yes perhaps (but you haven't provided it), but I'm sure that there are plenty of other bio's out outside his university that don't list his every paper.

How sure are you? Try to find one that is written by him where he wasn't restricted in what he could include.

Quote:
People of your faith in the magical properties of marine parks view them from an ethics point of view.

Do you include me in that?

Quote:
In fact maximum sustainable yield is reached when the breeding stock is fished down to 30-40% of the unfished population.

Can you give more info on this please? I would expect it to very greatly with species and to also depend on how broad (ascros species and up and down the food chain).

Quote:
So why target recreation boat fishermen?

I don't think it distinguishes recreational and commercial fishermen.

Quote:
The status quo (ie without marine parks) is not too bad.

Shouldn't it be about what is better?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2010 at 5:09pm

PJ:

Quote:
What is the 'anti-marine park lobby FD? I have never come across that monolthic entity.

I didn't describe it as a monolithic entity.

Quote:
Its just your attempt at labelling the oppostion.

Do you think I am being unfair by labelling them as being opposed to marine parks?

You denigrate the opposition by labelling them as a lobby group rather than something grassroots. Similarly you talk about them acting on some sort of single planned strategy.  

Quote:
Rubbish, the feedback (with a few exceptions) has been a sham. The level of green zones has been predetermined (usually 20% in NSW).

That doesn't mean the feedback is a sham. There is a lot more to it than the % coverage.

It means the % coverage is predetermined. And yes there is a lot more - it gets worse.

Quote:
or spots are closed to fishing merely because they are popular fishing spots (GBR).  

You should start a new thread on that topic. I have never seen any evidence for this.

You have seen it here on this forum. At your insistance I put up quite a lot of evidence for it. You just denied it with your usual nit-picking.  

Quote:

How sure are you? Try to find one that is written by him where he wasn't restricted in what he could include.

I may not have been written by him and I'm sure there are plenty that don't list all his papers.

Quote:
People of your faith in the magical properties of marine parks view them from an ethics point of view.

Do you include me in that?

I think you have a blind faith in them. Either that or you have taken a politcal position on them and won't back down. Your lack of consideration of conflicting evidence and denigration of opponents are examples of this.

Quote:
In fact maximum sustainable yield is reached when the breeding stock is fished down to 30-40% of the unfished population.

Can you give more info on this please? I would expect it to very greatly with species and to also depend on how broad (ascros species and up and down the food chain).

I have put this up before. Wiki has a good explanation.

Quote:
So why target recreation boat fishermen?

I don't think it distinguishes recreational and commercial fishermen.

Quote:
The status quo (ie without marine parks) is not too bad.

Shouldn't it be about what is better?

I think you (and others with like minds) want change for the sake of change.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - May 20th, 2010 at 6:49pm

Quote:
You denigrate the opposition by labelling them as a lobby group rather than something grassroots.

So you want me to call them the anti marine park grass root?

Quote:
You have seen it here on this forum.

I have seen anecdotal evidence, which in this instance is pretty much worthless.

Quote:
I think you have a blind faith in them.

Your claim was that they view them from an ethics point of view. Do you include me in that?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2010 at 7:44pm

] Quote:
You denigrate the opposition by labelling them as a lobby group rather than something grassroots.

So you want me to call them the anti marine park grass root?

The phrase has certain connetations, largely negative. No doubt thats why you made it up.   

Quote:
You have seen it here on this forum.

I have seen anecdotal evidence, which in this instance is pretty much worthless.

Oh really. Yesterday you couldn't even remember that I had put any evidence up. You say it's anecdotal, but your the one who didn't think circumstantial evidence is worth anything. I don't think you have much credibility on what constutes the worth of evidence. 

Quote:
I think you have a blind faith in them.

Your claim was that they view them from an ethics point of view. Do you include me in that? [/quote]

A lot of people don't like the idea of fishing - thats why they are very keen on marine parks, that's one version of ethical thinking. You have said more than once anglers have an irrational attachment to size limits (ie ehtics), well that could be said of your attachment to marine parks. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - May 20th, 2010 at 8:40pm

Quote:
The phrase has certain connetations, largely negative. No doubt thats why you made it up.

So I can't call the anti marine park lobby a lobby. Nor can I call them a grass root. What term would be politically correct enough for you that I could use it without implying anything about them? Can I call them a golden triangle, after the way they try so desperately to put pressure on government institutions and scientists?
Quote:
Oh really. Yesterday you couldn't even remember that I had put any evidence up. You say it's anecdotal, but your the one who didn't think circumstantial evidence is worth anything. I don't think you have much credibility on what constutes the worth of evidence.  

Lets take a look at the evidence then. I realise of course that you have made the claim before. But your 'evidence' amounted to nothing more than the fact that other lobbyists had also made the same claim. You have an odd habit of confusing an accusation from a fellow lobbyist for evidence that the accusation is true.

Quote:
You have said more than once anglers have an irrational attachment to size limits (ie ehtics), well that could be said of your attachment to marine parks.

Rationality is about logic, not ethics.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - May 21st, 2010 at 12:23pm

] Quote:

So I can't call the anti marine park lobby a lobby. Nor can I call them a grass root. What term would be politically correct enough for you that I could use it without implying anything about them?

Another problem with your label (ie aside from the 'lobby' term), is that by and large they aren't even anti-marine park. They are just concered with particual marine park processes and outcomes.

Can I call them a golden triangle, after the way they try so desperately to put pressure on government institutions and scientists?
Quote:
If you want to be a laughing stock - the term is iron triangle. Aside from getting the term right they don't fit the definition of being part of an iron triangle. Unlike marine park activists they don't receive government funding and there is no government bureaucracy which benfits from being anti marine park.  

Lets take a look at the evidence then. I realise of course that you have made the claim before. But your 'evidence' amounted to nothing more than the fact that other lobbyists had also made the same claim. You have an odd habit of confusing an accusation from a fellow lobbyist for evidence that the accusation is true.

There not lobbyists. There are individual fishermen from widely different parts of Australia with direct experience of the process. They have signed statutory declarations to that effect. Do you know you can be sent to prison for making misleading statutory declarations? Also the actual zonings are a matter of public record and these support the claim. Senator Boswell also made similar claims in Parliament. Are you saying he misled Parliament?

Quote:
You have said more than once anglers have an irrational attachment to size limits (ie ethics), well that could be said of your attachment to marine parks.

Rationality is about logic, not ethics.

A lot of your arguments are so inept they are self negating. Eg you are now saying that statements from fishermen about zoning are worthless because they are 'anti-marine park lobbyists'. There is a strong tendency to treat fisherment this way by marine park proponents. If having a personal stake in this issue disqualifies your argument from being considered, then the same applies to your side of the argument. A lot of marine park proponents have a huge (often undeclared) personal interest in promoting marine parks.

Furthermore you spent pages whining that only direct evidence is 'real'. Well a sworn statement from a direct participant is direct evidence. It's like eyewitness testimony in court. You cannot just dismiss it as 'anecdotal'.   

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2010 at 9:11am by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - May 22nd, 2010 at 10:21am

Quote:
There not lobbyists. There are individual fishermen from widely different parts of Australia...

... who are lobbying against marine parks.

Quote:
Senator Boswell also made similar claims in Parliament. Are you saying he misled Parliament?

No. Most likely his claims were merely similar. There is a sublte yet important difference between similar and the same, one which you seem to miss all too often.

Quote:
A lot of your arguments are so inept they are self negating.

You appear to be backpedalling now PJ. Am I basing my position on ethics or not?

Quote:
Eg you are now saying that statements from fishermen about zoning are worthless because they are 'anti-marine park lobbyists'.

No I'm not.

Quote:
Well a sworn statement from a direct participant is direct evidence.

It is your interpretation of that evidence that is in question. Like I said, you should start a new thread on this, or bump an old one.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
catch share schemes
Reply #27 - May 22nd, 2010 at 2:26pm

Here is an interesting way to make fishers think long term:

Fisheries: Catch Shares Improve Consistency, Not Health, of Fisheries

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091222105314.htm

ScienceDaily (Jan. 11, 2010) — Catch share programs result in more consistent and predictable fisheries but do not necessarily improve ecological conditions, according to a new study published online the week of December 22 by the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Employed by nations around the world, catch shares -- a management system that divides up and allocates percentages, or shares, of the total allowable catch to individual fishermen or fishing groups -- have generated controversy as to whether they lead to better environmental stewardship than other fishery management options. The study, funded by the Lenfest Ocean Program, concludes that these programs help to eliminate erratic swings in fishing rates, catch landings and fish population sizes, among other factors, but may not necessarily lead to larger fish populations. This research is the most in-depth and comprehensive study of the ecological impacts of catch share programs in North America.

Publication of this research coincides with the public-comment period for the U. S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) draft catch share policy, which evaluates catch share programs under the Magnuson-Stevens Act, the nation's primary fisheries law. NOAA's draft policy "encourages the consideration and adoption of catch shares wherever appropriate in fishery management and ecosystem plans and amendments and will support the design, implementation, and monitoring of catch share programs."

"Many proponents of catch share programs presume that they improve the health of fisheries, but our research indicates a much different expectation: They work very well to avoid erratic swings. They generally do not lead to more fish to catch," said author Dr. Tim Essington of the School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. "Catch shares are one potential method for improving fisheries management, but we shouldn't expect these programs to be a panacea."

Participants in a catch share program may fish for their shares of the fishery at their discretion until their quotas are filled. This management method is often contrasted with a "race-for-fish" management option, where fishermen compete with others in the fishery during a set time frame.

The increase in predictability found to accompany catch share programs may result from greater incentives for fishermen to comply with rules and regulations. The study's findings also suggest that catch share fisheries may have lower rates of discarded fish.

Essington studied 15 catch share programs in the United States and Canada and looked at a range of measurements for each fishery, including population status, catch landings and fishing rate. He compared fisheries with catch shares to fisheries without them and also evaluated fisheries before and after the implementation of a catch share program. The research analyzed both the average value and the year-to-year variability of the measurements.

Essington cited a need to assess a larger number of fisheries globally.

"We have sufficient data to quantitatively evaluate many pros and cons of catch share programs, but as of now we still don't know how much they help to end overfishing," said Essington. "Analysis of a larger set of catch share programs could also help identify fishery and program-design characteristics that make these programs more effective in achieving better ecological outcomes."

The Lenfest Ocean Program supports scientific research aimed at forging solutions to the challenges facing the global marine environment.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print