Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Why is Walter so bitter? (Read 24664 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Why is Walter so bitter?
Reply #30 - May 17th, 2010 at 7:59pm

Quote:
But not you - you would have me on a wild goose chase checking on all his activities of the last 50 years.

PJ, you made an appeal to his authority. I would be happy to withdraw my request that you back up this claim if you withdraw the claim. You started this goose chase. Only you can end it. Your goose is cooked, so don't be a goose, there is no golden egg, errr triangle.... Lips Sealed

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - May 17th, 2010 at 8:12pm

freediver wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 7:59pm:
Quote:
But not you - you would have me on a wild goose chase checking on all his activities of the last 50 years.

PJ, you made an appeal to his authority. I would be happy to withdraw my request that you back up this claim if you withdraw the claim. You started this goose chase. Only you can end it. Your goose is cooked, so don't be a goose, there is no golden egg, errr triangle.... Lips Sealed

Do you think that the authors of the GBRMPA paper are genuine? Are you going to provide 'proof' to me that they are really who they say they are?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - May 18th, 2010 at 7:35pm

pjb05 wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 8:23pm:
[date=1274090941]What I said was that he is widely quoted in the media as a coral reef and fisheries expert in the context of you suggesting he is some sort of phoney. And so all those hard nosed journalists will then have to have been duped too.

Would you mind giving some examples?

Quote:
Are you going to provide 'proof' to me that they are really who they say they are?

Not right now. If I ever make any claims about who they are, you are welcome to ask me to back it up. For the moment I am happy to take your (and Walter's) word for it that they work for GBRMPA and published that paper.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - May 19th, 2010 at 9:36am

]pjb05 wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 8:23pm:
[date=1274090941]What I said was that he is widely quoted in the media as a coral reef and fisheries expert in the context of you suggesting he is some sort of phoney. And so all those hard nosed journalists will then have to have been duped too.

Would you mind giving some examples?

He has been on an ABC documentary 'Reef Wars', their Counterpoint radio show, various commercial radio shows, written for fishing and boating magazines and has adressed think tanks such as the Australian Conservation Foundation and the Institute for Public Affairs. Do you really think that none of these have checked their source? 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - May 19th, 2010 at 6:27pm

Quote:
Do you really think that none of these have checked their source?

Let's start with what they claimed about their source before we get on to whether they checked it first. It is interesting that your list included no mainstream print media.

Which programs described him as a "coral reef and fisheries expert"?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - May 19th, 2010 at 6:46pm

] Quote:
Do you really think that none of these have checked their source?

Let's start with what they claimed about their source before we get on to whether they checked it first. It is interesting that your list included no mainstream print media.

Why is that interesting? Now that I think about it I he has also been quoted in the Daily Telegraph.

Which programs described him as a "coral reef and fisheries expert"? [/quote]

From memory pretty much all of them.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - May 19th, 2010 at 6:53pm

Quote:

I guess that's why it's interesting that your list includes no mainstream print media. It is a lot easier to hear what you want to hear in your memory of audio media.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - May 19th, 2010 at 7:00pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2010 at 6:53pm:
Quote:

I guess that's why it's interesting that your list includes no mainstream print media. It is a lot easier to hear what you want to hear in your memory of audio media.

Nice try but I mentioned the Daily Telegraph. Also the Counterpoint show has transcripts on the net as do some radio shows and then there's the think tanks I mentioned.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - May 19th, 2010 at 7:09pm

Quote:
Nice try but I mentioned the Daily Telegraph.

True. You should have no problem providing the quote where they describe him as a "coral reef and fisheries expert".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Telegraph_%28Australia%29

A Roy Morgan media credibility survey found that 40 per cent of journalists viewed News Limited newspapers as Australia's most partisan media outlet, ahead of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on 25 per cent. The survey found that readers took a generally dim view of journalists. In response to the question "Which newspapers do you believe do not accurately and fairly report the news?", the Daily Telegraph came third (9%) behind the Herald-Sun (11%) and "All of them" (16%).

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:38pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2010 at 7:09pm:
Quote:
Nice try but I mentioned the Daily Telegraph.

True. You should have no problem providing the quote where they describe him as a "coral reef and fisheries expert".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Telegraph_%28Australia%29

A Roy Morgan media credibility survey found that 40 per cent of journalists viewed News Limited newspapers as Australia's most partisan media outlet, ahead of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on 25 per cent. The survey found that readers took a generally dim view of journalists. In response to the question "Which newspapers do you believe do not accurately and fairly report the news?", the Daily Telegraph came third (9%) behind the Herald-Sun (11%) and "All of them" (16%).

If your trying to make claims of bias you have to at least show some consistency. News Limited is regarded having a right wing bias. The ABC is regarded as having a left/ green bias. He has been on/ in both!

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - May 20th, 2010 at 12:39pm

Here you go, from the Daily Telegraph Dec 09 2009:

Dr Walter Starck received a PhD in marine science from the University of Miami in 1964 and was a pioneer in coral reef science. He has lived in Far North Queensland studying the Great Barrier Reef since 1978.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - May 20th, 2010 at 6:52pm

Link?

Yes it looks to me like they just copied from his bio without checking it. But you have my attention now at least.

The most damning criticism was about the Telegraph in particular, not news limited in general.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - May 20th, 2010 at 7:57pm

Link?

Just type his name on the Daily Telegraph search facility.

Yes it looks to me like they just copied from his bio without checking it. But you have my attention now at least.

No way of knowing that. And what about all the other outlets? Do you think they haven't done any checks? PS he has had a couple of papers published recently - which seem to have been peer reviewed.

The most damning criticism was about the Telegraph in particular, not news limited in general. [/quote]

My point still stands - he has been on the ABC quite often.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - May 20th, 2010 at 8:29pm

You are not doing your credibility much good when you forget simple things like the link.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - May 20th, 2010 at 8:54pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2010 at 8:29pm:
You are not doing your credibility much good when you forget simple things like the link.

You really like arguing over nothing. I thought it would be obvious that all you need to do is put 'Walter Starck' in their search box.

Plus my computer was slow it the time and losing connection so I didn't do a second cut and paste.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print