Pew (Read 10917 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Pew
Reply #60 - May 23rd, 2010 at 6:51pm

Quote:
This is compounded by a neglect of other issues such as marine pollution.

You dont like checking your facts before posting do you PJ? All you had to do is google "Pew marine pollution" and you would have uncovered many examples, like this one:

http://www.pewtrusts.org/our_work_report_detail.aspx?id=30035

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - May 23rd, 2010 at 7:08pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 6:51pm:
Quote:
This is compounded by a neglect of other issues such as marine pollution.

You dont like checking your facts before posting do you PJ? All you had to do is google "Pew marine pollution" and you would have uncovered many examples, like this one:

http://www.pewtrusts.org/our_work_report_detail.aspx?id=30035

Do you call that 'checking the facts' FD? Yes the webisite makes a couple (2) of references to pollution - big deal. This hardly a breakdown of its activities. In any case the site is far more devoted to it's anti-fishing activities.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #62 - May 23rd, 2010 at 7:13pm

So the pew website only makles 2 references to marine pollution?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #63 - May 23rd, 2010 at 7:19pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 7:13pm:
So the pew website only makles 2 references to marine pollution?

Thats all I saw on the link you put up. They mentioned they campaigned for a ban on cruise liners dumping waste and called for a maratorium on oil drilling in US waters after the gulf disaster, until safety issues are addressed (big deal as this has already been done by the President).
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2010 at 7:29pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - May 23rd, 2010 at 7:24pm

I see. I thought you meant the whole site. I only put it up as an example PJ. I obviously did not mean to imply that it encompassed all of their pollution related activity.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - May 23rd, 2010 at 7:43pm

pjb05 wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 4:14pm:
Here's another article on Pew's anti-fishing efforts, in the US. It also highlights the grassroots campaign of fishing communities compared to the astroturf of Pew:

Another Perspective
December 20, 2009

The Times They Are a-Changin' - by Nils Stolpe

Fishermen have finally concluded that it's time for long overdue changes, and that the place to go is Congress.

It's been a long time coming, but it appears as if a critical number of fishermen have finally reached the conclusion that the way things are heading, there's not going to be an acceptable fishing future for any of us, that it's time for some long overdue changes, and that the place to effect those changes is in Congress.

It's really difficult to identify all of the major factors responsible for this, but among them I'd list the excessive and in-your-face obvious influence on the Obama Administration's NOAA/NMFS by foundations with a long track record of actions inimical to fishermen, the looming crisis (of management, not of fish) in the New England groundfish fishery, the sorry state of the economy for us mere mortals who haven't benefitted and won't benefit from any bail-out $billions, massive fishery closures or cutbacks without adequate science behind them, an ongoing investigation of what appears to be institutionalized strong-arm tactics in the federal fisheries enforcement branch, and most importantly, the unnecessary and incessant erosion of our ability to fish - either recreationally or to earn a living - by a management system that is focused solely on the fish and that we as fishermen are now effectively isolated from.

And I can't forget the role that a long list of coastal legislators - most have already been mentioned here - in Washington and elected and appointed officials in Massachusetts have played in demonstrating that the ongoing overzealous, verging on punitive, management of fishermen is becoming far more of a threat to fishing communities than declining stocks ever were.

One of the most edifying byproducts of the management morass that the majority of U.S. fishermen are mired in is the growing cooperation between people in the commercial, recreational and party/charter industries, the businesses that depend on them and the communities that they support. Are we one big happy family? No, and we probably never will be, but every day more of us are realizing that there's a common enemy that we've allowed to take control of the management process while we've been almost totally focused on throwing rocks at each other.

Would you mind pointing out the bit about Pew for me?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #66 - May 23rd, 2010 at 9:31pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 7:43pm:
[
Would you mind pointing out the bit about Pew for me?

You have to keep reading. The last two & a half pages is about Pew, ie after: "but what's the other side up to?"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print