Send Topic Print
Reefgate! (Read 13764 times)
pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Reefgate!
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 8:26pm

freediver wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 8:13pm:
Second, we have you when you claimed that scientific journals place the author's address rather than institution below the author list on the front page of each article.

Duh FD, it's still your same one and only point. PS the name is part of the address - your splitting hairs. Furthermore your forgetting a declaration was made by the author's as to no conflict of interest, this is what Walter Starck was refering to:

"It is incongruous to note that all these employees and repeated recipients of generous GBRMPA funding, could, “…declare no conflict of interest.” (see footnote, p.1 of the report) when they are in fact assessing the value of their own work and that of the organisation which supports them. To compound the impropriety even further, PNAS also requires that, “Authors must acknowledge all funding sources supporting the work.” There appears to be no such disclosure in this study either.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 8:30pm

Quote:
There appears to be no such disclosure in this study either.

There you go again. If Walter Starck wrote this, you should be careful about reposting it, if you want to be taken seriously.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 8:33pm

freediver wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 8:30pm:
Quote:
There appears to be no such disclosure in this study either.

There you go again. If Walter Starck wrote this, you should be careful about reposting it, if you want to be taken seriously.

And what about the footnote he refers to? Chopping bits out of quotes does not make them go away FD!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:52pm

Fourth, there was you when you thought working for GBRMPA and publishing your research findings constituted some kind of ethical dilemma.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 7:25am

freediver wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:52pm:
Fourth, there was you when you thought working for GBRMPA and publishing your research findings constituted some kind of ethical dilemma.

How about when it clearly shows up in their work.

PS: Fourth? What happened to 2 & 3? Regarding 2, the institutions name and address is not a breakdown of funding, past funding, affiliation or conflict of interest.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:33pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 7:36am

Tell me this now FD. Why would Dr Ayling contradict his earlier work (see below). Note this work is more extensive than the recent 'studies' and just as relevant today (if anything the fishing pressure has been reduced on the GBR).

Are Trout Overfished
WHERE ARE ALL THE CORAL TROUT?

Or are coral trout numbers on the GBR being reduced by current levels of fishing?

Notes prepared by Dr. Tony Ayling, a private marine biological consultant not affiliated with any Government Department.

Over the past 14 years we have made extensive underwater surveys of coral trout numbers on several hundred reefs along the entire length of the Great Barrier Reef. This has included repeat surveys on some reefs over a period of more than 10 years to get some idea of the long term changes that have been taking place. We have also made counts on many of the protected reefs in the Marine Park to see if protecting them from fishing has made any difference to coral trout numbers.
We will look first at the effect of protection on coral trout numbers:
In 1986, we counted coral trout numbers on 12 reefs in the Capricorn-Bunker Group off Gladstone. Six of these reefs had been closed to fishing for an average of about 5 years, while the other six were open to fishing. Average coral trout density on the protected reefs was 57 per hectare (an hectare in an area of 100 x 100 metres), compared with 49 per hectare on the fished reefs. Although there appear to be about 15% fewer coral trout on the fished reefs, by using statistical techniques we can show that this difference is not significant as it may just have been due to the variability in the counts.
In 1991 we counted fish on a large number of reefs in the Cairns Section of the Marine Park (Dunk Island up to Lizard Island). Of these reefs, 29 were open to fishing and 18 had been closed to fishing for 7 years. Average coral trout density on the protected reefs was 33.9 fish per hectare compared to 34.6 per hectare on the fished reefs. Basically, coral trout numbers were the same on both groups of reefs.
In 1992 we made another set of counts in the Cairns Section, using five different closed reefs and five fished reefs. Once again there was no difference between the two groups of reefs, with 28.4 fish per hectare on the protected reefs and 27.8 on the fished reefs.
From these figures it is obvious that coral trout numbers have not increased on reefs that have been closed to fishing. What does this mean? There can be three different interpretations:
1. Coral trout may move around a lot between reefs, and so any extra fish on the protected reefs quickly move onto nearby open reefs and average out the numbers. However, tagging and movement studies show that while a very few coral trout do in fact move from one reef to another most of them stay on the same reef, and even on the same place of the same reef.
2. Closed reefs are not protected from fishing. It may be that fishermen are ignoring reef zoning and that enforcement levels are not high enough to prevent this happening. Recent analysis of vessel sightings by coast watch has indicated that there is probably a lot of fishing on reefs that are supposedly closed.
3. The current level of fishing on the GBR has no effect on coral trout numbers.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 7:38am

It is probably a combination of low effect of fishing on coral trout numbers, and illegal fishing on closed reefs, that is responsible for the lack of difference in coral trout numbers we have shown between closed and fished reefs.
If surveys on closed and fished reefs are not giving us a good idea of what is going on with coral trout numbers, perhaps the long-term counts we have done can give us a better picture.
We have counts from three reefs off Townsville (John Brewer, Lodestone and Davies) over the period from 1983 to 1994. These reefs are close to the coast and are fished by both recreational and commercial fishermen. In 1983 the average density of coral trout on these reefs was 34 per hectare, in 1989 it was 34.3 and in 1994 it was 66 per hectare.
In the Cairns Section we have counts from some reefs in 1983 and again in 1991. In 1983 average density of coral trout was 22.5 per hectare and this had increased to 31.7 by 1991.
Off the Whitsundays, on the three reefs Hook, Line and Hardy, mean density of coral trout was 57 per hectare in 1984, 84 in 1988 and 124 in 1994.
All these figures suggest that far from decreasing in numbers that has been a marked increase in the numbers of coral trout on the GBR over the past 10 years.
So why is it that a lot of fishermen are always talking about the good old days? Why is it that the general consensus is that there has been a drop in catch rates of coral trout over the past few decades? This apparent contradiction can be resolved if we separate catchability from numbers. Poor catches do not mean that the fish are not there, just that they are not taking the bait. Reported catch rates by commercial fishermen from experimental fishing done for scientists on protected reefs are three to four times those from fished reefs, in spite of the similar densities we have mentioned above. This indicates that naïve populations of coral trout, ie those that are not often fished, are far more catchable that exploited populations. Similar results were reported from Heron Island where catch rates were much higher on protected parts of the reef than in fished parts, but no significant density differences between the two areas could be found. It is often reported by fishermen that catches are good after a long spell of bad weather when fishing activities are restricted; the fish have become more naïve and more catchable.
Another way of looking at the effect of fishing on coral trout is to use the count figures we have from along the GBR to get some idea of the total number of trout out there, and compare this to the number taken by fishermen. The Marine Park Authority has listed about 2,500 reefs on the GBR but our counts on charts and maps of the reef area indicate that there are about 1,200 major reefs. Measurements from these maps show that the average major reef has about 500 hectares of reef slope where coral trout are common, and about 2,500 hectares of reef flat and lagoon where coral trout are not very common. Our density figures indicate that the average density of coral trout on the reef slope is about 50 per hectare, compared with about 10 per hectare in the lagoon and reef flat. Length estimations show that an average of half of these are over 38 cm long and able to be taken by fishermen. From these figures we can calculate that there are about 30 million adult coral trout on the GBR.
These figures do not include inter-reef numbers of coral trout. There are large areas of broken ground between the true reefs that also support coral trout, and the true figure may be twice or more the 30 million we have calculated.
The Marine Park Authority and DPI have made recent estimates of the total annual catch of coral trout from the GBR of about 2 million kilograms, including both the recreational and commercial catch. Given the average size of coral trout this equates to about 3 million fish or only about 10% of the available stock.
We have also made counts of young coral trout on the reefs we have surveyed. By young coral trout I mean those that have resulted from the spawning season in the previous year. These figures show that an average of about 20% of the total coral trout on any reef are these young of the year (often called juveniles). Thus the annual input of young coral trout is equivalent to about 40% of the available stock,
far higher than the annual catch of 10% of available stock.
In addition coral trout grow rapidly, the fastest growing individuals reach 30 cm long in about 12 months and most individuals are over 38 cm at the end of two years.
These figures are all rather approximate but they are based on actual records and probably give a good indication of what is happening in the fishery. On this basis it seems unlikely that the present exploitation levels of coral trout on the GBR are any threat to coral trout numbers. On the contrary is seems possible that numbers will increase, as some of our counts are already indicating.
Just remember: the number of fish that are caught does not relate to the number of fish that are there, but to how easy they are to catch.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 7:50am

Fifth was when you failed to realise you could make a goose of yourself multiple times over the same issue.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:26am

freediver wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 7:50am:
Fifth was when you failed to realise you could make a goose of yourself multiple times over the same issue.

Someone in the Journal staff must be a goose too, seeing they require a conflict of interest statement in addition to any name and address. Obviously they think that the later is inadequate.

PS: I take it that you are not going to address the actual content of the paper and and the validity of it's conclusions. How much of a goose does that make you?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:56pm

freediver wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:52pm:

Looks like there are some gooses at Wikipedia too. I have highlighted the relevant phrases which point out that all is needed for a conflict of interest is a potential corruption of motivation:

Conflict of interest
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A conflict of interest (COI) occurs when an individual or organization is involved in multiple interests, one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation for an act in the other.

A conflict of interest can only exist if a person or testimony is entrusted with some impartiality; a modicum of trust is necessary to create it. The presence of a conflict of interest is independent from the execution of impropriety. Therefore, a conflict of interest can be discovered and voluntarily defused before any corruption occurs.

The occupations where a conflict of interest is most likely to be encountered or discovered include: policeman, lawyer, insurance adjuster, politician, engineer, executive, director of a corporation, medical research scientist, physician, writer, or editor. In short—any entrusted individual or organization.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:00pm

Sixth was me when I took this thread seriously enough to respond to it.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:09pm

freediver wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:00pm:
Sixth was me when I took this thread seriously enough to respond to it.

Do you think your one-line reductionisms can actually be called a response?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:12pm

Seventh was Walter Starck when he took himself seriously enough to go accusing other people for doing the same thing he himself has done.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:16pm

freediver wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:12pm:
Seventh was Walter Starck when he took himself seriously enough to go accusing other people for doing the same thing he himself has done.

There is nothing wrong with scientists taking up a cause - so long as they don't abandon their professionalism.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:19pm

Eighth was you when you tried to associate this with a genuine scandal like watergate.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print