Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Incompetency, Why & When? (Read 5676 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Incompetency, Why & When?
Feb 18th, 2010 at 10:10am

I am old enough to remember when governments successfully ran numerous enterprises considered to be in the public interest, and did so well.

Nowadays, we take it as a given that NO government can run anything effectively, or efficiently, and just why we have seen the rise of this incompetence is a mystery to me.

Do any of you guys have any theories as to why we can no longer expect anything but bureaucratic insanity from government departments?

A pretty good example is the latest school building initiatives where schools demolish a good library to build a new library, when they needed and wanted a gymnasium, and still don't have one.

It is an almighty mess where once more out of touch bureaucrats tell people what they will get, instead of asking what they need.

I blame a lot of it on the media obsession that pollies have, and their desire for staging events to get attention, but we really need to seriously review just how long we carry on allowing government departments survive with such appalling ineptitude.

Maybe we need to pull it all down, and start again from scratch.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: Incompetency, Why & When?
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 10:47am

They have their fingers in too many pies? You can't take two steps without needing a permit or license of some kind.

What you're talking about is dangerous - that powerless acceptance of incompetency just leads to more complacency, which is never good. Is it too late to change it? I don't think so, but until we as a nation decide we've had enough it will continue as it is or deteriorate further.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:43pm

Quote:
I am old enough to remember when governments successfully ran numerous enterprises considered to be in the public interest, and did so well.

On what basis are yuou judging their performance? I guarantee you that if you compare them to competitive private enterprises they would come up second best every time.

Quote:
Nowadays, we take it as a given that NO government can run anything effectively, or efficiently, and just why we have seen the rise of this incompetence is a mystery to me.

It was always like that. It's just that we have higher standards now.

Quote:
Do any of you guys have any theories as to why we can no longer expect anything but bureaucratic insanity from government departments?

Our society is far bigger, wealthier and more complex than previously. Governments need to focus on their core business and outsource everything else.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 8:39am

freediver wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:43pm:
Governments need to focus on their core business and outsource everything else.

What exactly is governments core business that would stop it too from being outsourced?  The idiotic antics we see in parliament could just as well be supplied by a bunch of school children. No more than a clerk is required to receive our foreign policy from the USA and pass it on to the rest of us to obey.  Big business and the banksters could continue to dictate commercial practices to suit themselves as they do now, free of charge. The opportunities for savings are immense!

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 11:09am

I think there are two aspects to that, and I don't think it's really a partisan issue either. The Libs and the ALP can screw things up almost equally well, although the ALP has the edge on ineptitude.

1. Internal -  There is a public sector mindset and a private sector mindset. The private sector is much more heavily focussed  on financial outcomes. The public sector mindset is not particularly well adapted to run enterprises. They end up getting tangled up in protocols that almost nobody understands and lack a clarity of vision.  

2. External - Wherever the government actually runs something like an incentive scheme, there are people who have a kind of divine inspiration to rort it in whatever way they can. They exploit the public sector (lack of) focus and consider it their duty to rort as much funds as they can from the system. They can get away with it because the public service is just not switched on to such things.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 4:09pm

I'm not disputing what you say muso, but that still doesn't tell us what governments core business is, nor why it couldn't be outsourced.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 6:19pm

Well many government departments in the past certainly seemed to run pretty well.

We had the SEC, the PMG, CBA, Gas and Fuel, Meteorology, VicRail, MTB, Taxation Department, just off the top of my head, that all ran pretty well 50 years ago.

Many of these departments built the infrastructure that provided the basic framework for private enterprise to enter the markets, but being a head of a department meant a lot in those days, it was a career that many aspired to, and diligence and talent were not incompatible with a career in the public sector.

I think a lot of us would be grateful to see many of the standards of service from 50 years ago restored.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 7:26pm

Absolutely Mozz, I agree.

Remember the days when you rang your Govt dept and you were a citizen, not Dear Customer. That BS sprang from private enterprise as they began the dismantle services and devalue the Citizen, not in favour of the country or the community but for the monetary bottom line and the creation of another level of management parasites.

As you say, the infrastructure that these corporate leeches benefit from was build by generations of hard working and tax paying Australians. I use the word with all sincerity and with the full force of it's traditional weight when I say that selling Telecom, CBA and the other govt enterprises you mentioned is simply Treasonous.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 9:15pm

fawkes wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 4:09pm:
I'm not disputing what you say muso, but that still doesn't tell us what governments core business is, nor why it couldn't be outsourced.

One of government's core responsibilities is accountability to a degree that would drive most private companies into insolvency.

Issues like freedom of information require the huge overhead of thorough record keeping such that the decision making process within the public service can be tracked and audited.

If the public service kept records of decisions the way private companies can legally get away with, there'd be an exponential rise in corruption.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 9:41pm

Quote:
What exactly is governments core business that would stop it too from being outsourced?

Making new laws and spending money.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:16am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 9:15pm:
One of government's core responsibilities is accountability

If that's what governments exist to do, we might as well get rid of them immediately. There is no point in having good accountability about anything unless something significant is being done, to be accountable for.

Besides, when applied to government, "accountability" means covering their own backsides, so that no public servant or politician can be dismissed.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:21am

freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 9:41pm:
Making new laws and spending money.

Well governments certainly do those things in abundance... all too often producing laws that border on stupidity, and the money being wasted. But any small office could do those things, so why not outsource?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 10:03am

fawkes wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:16am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 9:15pm:
One of government's core responsibilities is accountability

If that's what governments exist to do, we might as well get rid of them immediately. There is no point in having good accountability about anything unless something significant is being done, to be accountable for.

Besides, when applied to government, "accountability" means covering their own backsides, so that no public servant or politician can be dismissed.

I said ONE of the core responsibilities is accountability. Your attitude is typical of the uninformed hog that is cynical public opinion.

Accountability ensures, for example, that nepotism (quite legal in a private enterprise) can be exposed, as it is the responsibility of every public servant to register a conflict of interest. If he doesn't declare a conflict of interest, say, on an interview panel when a relative or intimate associate is being interviewed, he has breached the law.

If the public servant associates with vendors, by accepting gifts, trips, cash (legal in private enterprise) he has breached the law.

If the public servant does not record all dealings and show via an auditable medium the reasons for decisions made, he has breached the law. No owner or employee of a private company has to account for every detail of a business transaction and does not even have to come close to what a public servant must declare.

The government and its public service must be seen to obey every law without any doubt (let alone reasonable doubt) and must be capable of revealing to any authorised inquiring every detail of a transaction that concerns his office, his responsibility for public funds and/or public well being. Otherwise he has breached the law.

Representatives of private companies routinely attempt to "persuade" senior public servants with "working lunches" (quite legal for private companies) that can run into hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars - quite illegal for public servants.

If private companies had to account for their employees' every move, the way government and the public service do, they'd be bankrupt before they submitted their first BAS.

Nobody should imagine that democracy isn't expensive.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2010 at 10:10am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:08pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 10:03am:
I said ONE of the core responsibilities is accountability. Your attitude is typical of the uninformed hog that is cynical public opinion.

Ooooh I do love it when you write so obnoxiously about me!

Accountability ensures, for example...

Whilst you are getting bogged down in the minute details of accountability, who is watching the big picture, the important things the government should be doing, to tell if they are good or bad?  Just because it might be legal for the government to send our military to fight unnecessary wars on the other side of the world, that does not mean it is a good thing. Just because it might be legal for the government to sell off our publicly owned infrastructure doesn't mean that is a smart thing to do. And even when a government minister is convincingly blamed for incompetently managing his department (as has happened with Peter Garrat this week)  what punishment does your accountability demand? Nothing, it seems!

Nobody should imagine that democracy isn't expensive.

Now that's something we can agree on. And we are forced to pay, whether the excesses it provides are wanted or not.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:39pm

fawkes wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:08pm:

Ooooh I do love it when you write so obnoxiously about me!

Of course you do! It provides you with the convenience of a sense of martyrdom without the inconvenience of having to do anything for which to be martyred.

fawkes wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:08pm:
Whilst you are getting bogged down in the minute details of accountability, who is watching the big picture, the important things the government should be doing, to tell if they are good or bad?  Just because it might be legal for the government to send our military to fight unnecessary wars on the other side of the world, that does not mean it is a good thing. Just because it might be legal for the government to sell off our publicly owned infrastructure doesn't mean that is a smart thing to do. And even when a government minister is convincingly blamed for incompetently managing his department (as has happened with Peter Garrat this week)  what punishment does your accountability demand? Nothing, it seems!

Given the Australian sensibility of following the US into conflicts such as Iraq and Afghanistan (probably as much for the experience as from the innate predilection for standing with America), tell me what form of Australian government would not respond to demands from a powerful ally and the font from which we draw most of our culture?

And with Garrett, fear not. He is gone in the eyes of his countrymen. The great dissenting radical has disgraced himself as an incompetent fool. Such is hubris.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:47pm by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:04pm

Quote:
Well governments certainly do those things in abundance... all too often producing laws that border on stupidity, and the money being wasted. But any small office could do those things, so why not outsource?

They probably do outsource a lot of the technical legal work, but the actual decisions on what should be put into law needs to remain in the hands of elected representatives. It is fundamental to democracy. Plus you can't outsource everything. Someone has to decide what to outsource and who to.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 7:52am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:39pm:
Given the Australian sensibility of following the US into conflicts such as Iraq and Afghanistan (probably as much for the experience as from the innate predilection for standing with America), tell me what form of Australian government would not respond to demands from a powerful ally and the font from which we draw most of our culture?

You mean stupidity, not sensibility of course!

You want to know what form of government would not commit us to help the yanks pursue their unnecessary warmaking? A benign dictatorship is one. A direct democracy is another. Representative democracy might also be a possibility if it was cleaned up, with parties outlawed so that politicians could more honestly represent their electors. Any form of democracy will have difficulty making good decisions as long as its information comes biased and slanted by the mass media, of course.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:02am

fawkes wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 7:52am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:39pm:

You mean stupidity, not sensibility of course!

No, I mean sensibility. We share the same historical roots, were founded by the same empire, we share the same language, the same political ideals and have done almost since the beginnings of our nation. We take from American culture and adopt it as our own almost immediately as it develops in the States.  Overwhelmingly we identify with Americans before any other people on earth. It is no surprise that we collectively not only want to be but to be seen, for right or for wrong, on the side of the Americans.

fawkes wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 7:52am:
You want to know what form of government would not commit us to help the yanks pursue their unnecessary warmaking? A benign dictatorship is one. A direct democracy is another. Representative democracy might also be a possibility if it was cleaned up, with parties outlawed so that politicians could more honestly represent their electors. Any form of democracy will have difficulty making good decisions as long as its information comes biased and slanted by the mass media, of course.

There ya go, now you're talking. All you've got to do now is walk the talk.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:13am

freediver wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:04pm:
the actual decisions on what should be put into law needs to remain in the hands of elected representatives. It is fundamental to democracy.

Are you sure about that?  Quite a lot of work has been done designing systems where citizens themselves vote directly (if they are interested) on what should be put into law, without any "representative" middlemen in there to derail the process. If anything, this is a more pure form of democracy than the "representative" model.  It needs a few facilitators and legal experts to iron out the details of course, but in theory it could serve the majority of citizens better than the system we suffer now.

Trouble is, the existing system suits those presently in power very well, so they will never introduce any alternative system that might reduce their power or put them out of a job.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:48am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:02am:
We take from American culture and adopt it as our own almost immediately as it develops in the States.  Overwhelmingly we identify with Americans before any other people on earth. It is no surprise that we collectively not only want to be but to be seen, for right or for wrong, on the side of the Americans.

I'll grant you that there are a large number of meatheads in Australia who behave as you described, but I'm lucky to know many Australians who are far more discriminating than that. I can also remember when our culture was more British than American, and can think of another people I would prefer to identify with before either of them. Those who behave as you describe should cringe in shame; their only excuse is that they are now bombarded with American culture emanating from the mass media.

Nevertheless, opinion polls taken when we were on the brink of being sucked into the war against Iraq showed that most Australians did not want Australia to be involved. It was the politicians and media that took us into that unjustified and unnecessary war, not Australians clamouring to be seen on the side of the Americans.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:57am

Whatever the case that may be claimed about Australian public opinion, I do not see John Howard nor George W Bush enduring the withering scrutiny that Tony Blair is facing over Britain's involvement in the Iraq war. That would indicate that Australians are not and were not so motivated against the war as you would suggest.

If, however, the Americans chose to so scrutinise their former President, Australians quite likely would also be so motivated to do the same to our former Prime Minister.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2010 at 9:37am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 10:29am

Quote:
Plus you can't outsource everything. Someone has to decide what to outsource and who to.

lol, good point FD, the way we are going, we'll be left with a note for the last guy to turn out the lights on his way out.

But why have we seen this transition from at least, reasonable competence, to the assumption that anything run by governments as always being totally incompetent?

I think Helian hit on the point of people trying to rort anything they have got through government contract, and I must agree that has been my experience as well, it is seen as an opportunity to profiteer, and that should not be something we put up with.

The trouble is that by simply outsourceing everything, we are seeing many people profiteering our hard earned taxes away, when there should be absolutely no reason why government run enterprises could not deliver world class services.

We have talented planners, people managers, and well skilled work forces, what we seem to lack is the vision and drive from those in power, to get these groups together, and all working for a common goal.

We need that to change, before we outsource ourselves out of our whole country, where we are left to just fill the roles of miners and leisure industry workers.

We really need to see governments starting to setup viable, efficient departments that can hold their own in any company, without being hamstrung by bureaucratic nonsense and idiotic paper shufflers, who seem to justify their existence, by making everybody else's more difficult.

We need to strip away the unnecessary levels of bureaucracy and streamline the whole system of government, and to do that we need to start by removing one level of government, at least.

We need to revisit whitlam's old plan of a federal government, overseeing a group of regional governments replacing the current state, and local systems.

The fact is our system is so clogged by red tape and incompetence that it really does need tearing down, and starting again, from the bottom up.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 12:00pm

fawkes wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:13am:
the actual decisions on what should be put into law needs to remain in the hands of elected representatives. It is fundamental to democracy.

Are you sure about that?  Quite a lot of work has been done designing systems where citizens themselves vote directly (if they are interested) on what should be put into law, without any "representative" middlemen in there to derail the process. If anything, this is a more pure form of democracy than the "representative" model.  It needs a few facilitators and legal experts to iron out the details of course, but in theory it could serve the majority of citizens better than the system we suffer now.

Trouble is, the existing system suits those presently in power very well, so they will never introduce any alternative system that might reduce their power or put them out of a job.

As I remember, the concept of direct democracy was well lampooned by Peter Cook in "The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer". Peter Cook's character, Michael Rimmer, connives his way from an advertising conman to assuming near-dictatorial control of Britain. One of his tactics was direct democracy, where Rimmer gives the people what they want (be careful what you wish for) a vote in every decision the government made until they become exasperated by the mind-numbing minutia requiring their approval. Rimmer then relieves them of their burden by taking on the duty of decision-making himself.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #23 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 4:47pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 12:00pm:
fawkes wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:13am:

As I remember, the concept of direct democracy was well lampooned by Peter Cook in "The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer". Peter Cook's character, Michael Rimmer, connives his way from an advertising conman to assuming near-dictatorial control of Britain. One of his tactics was direct democracy, where Rimmer gives the people what they want (be careful what you wish for) a vote in every decision the government made until they become exasperated by the mind-numbing minutia requiring their approval. Rimmer then relieves them of their burden by taking on the duty of decision-making himself.

God I wish I had seen it!

It tickles my funny bone no end when people tell me that in the modern world "we (people) are too smart and the days of the dictator are dead."  Grin Grin I'm chuckling as I write it.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #24 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 4:55pm

fawkes wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010 at 8:39am:
Governments need to focus on their core business and outsource everything else.

What exactly is governments core business that would stop it too from being outsourced?  The idiotic antics we see in parliament could just as well be supplied by a bunch of school children. No more than a clerk is required to receive our foreign policy from the USA and pass it on to the rest of us to obey.  Big business and the banksters could continue to dictate commercial practices to suit themselves as they do now, free of charge. The opportunities for savings are immense!

The buffoonary is just an act while they take turns at being employed by big busines and bankers...they sold us out long ago. Unfortuneatly not free of charge, just a series of never ending invoices to the common people for stuff we thought had been paid off .... until it was sold.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 4:47am

locutius wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 4:47pm:
God I wish I had seen it!

It tickles my funny bone no end when people tell me that in the modern world "we (people) are too smart and the days of the dictator are dead."  Grin Grin I'm chuckling as I write it.

Here's a clip

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 8:03am

mozzaok wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 10:29am:
The fact is our system is so clogged by red tape and incompetence that it really does need tearing down, and starting again, from the bottom up.

Great post, mozzaok!  We might have to settle for introducing change gradually though. No Australians I know are preparing to tear down our corrupt system, and potential allies from overseas who might be capable and willing to do the job for us have all been demonized as terrorists and kept out of the country.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 9:08am

It's hard to know whether utopianism masks defeatism or an Orwellian sense of order. But the catch cry of all three is always the same and pack loaded with absolutes... Nothing can just be modified, everything must be torn down, nothing works, the entire system is corrupt... & etc..

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 6:03pm

How were you proposing to modify our current corrupt system, helian?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:40pm

fawkes wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 6:03pm:
How were you proposing to modify our current corrupt system, helian?

Did I say the current system is corrupt?

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:31am

Discussing government run enterprises, freediver wrote:

On what basis are you judging their performance? I guarantee you that if you compare them to competitive private enterprises they would come up second best every time.

Here are a few bases for comparison that spring to mind:

Proportion of profits distributed amongst all taxpayers.

Government enterprise - plenty.

Private enterprise - nil.

Major infrastructure projects built.

Government enterprise - road networks, railways, nationwide telephone network, airports, Snowy Mountains hydroelectric scheme, water supplies, sewerage, Sydney Opera House, libraries, hospitals, etc. etc.  

Private enterprise - shopping centres, hospitals, junk food chains

Loan interest rates quoted for financing Australia's First World War effort.

Government bank - 0.5%

Private banks - 6%

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:35pm

That's a pretty silly basis to judge their performance on.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:04pm

Fawkes, government is there to facilitate private enterprise. Not the other way around.
Government is not the greatest good.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 8:53am

Actually, in a true democracy government is there to do whatever the people collectively want done. Amongst other things that includes everything too big or too important to be trusted to private enterprise.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 8:27pm

Important? Aren't food and shelter some of the most important things? We happily let the free market deliver those.

There are plenty of rational justifications for leaving an industry in the hands of government, but importance is not one of them.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:46am

freediver wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 8:27pm:
Important? Aren't food and shelter some of the most important things? We happily let the free market deliver those.

The market is not free. It is controlled by govt checks and measures. These checks and measures along with sound economic policy ensure the majority have the means to satisfy food and shelter needs.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:48am

fawkes wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 8:53am:
Actually, in a true democracy government is there to do whatever the people collectively want done. Amongst other things that includes everything too big or too important to be trusted to private enterprise.

The only true democracy ever to have existed was in Ancient Athens. It lasted only 100 years before collapsing in a heap. 

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:49am

Soren wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:04pm:
Fawkes, government is there to facilitate private enterprise. Not the other way around.
Government is not the greatest good.

Agreed. People are the greatest good.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 9:42am

Sappho wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:49am:
People are the greatest good.

Good for who?

Good for other people, perhaps. But for the planet as a whole, people can best be likened to a vicious parasitic virus.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 1:46pm

fawkes wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 9:42am:

Good for who?

Good for other people, perhaps. But for the planet as a whole, people can best be likened to a vicious parasitic virus.

Yes for us! As to the planet... well, if we want to survive its wrath, we need to work together and adapt to the changing challenges the planet presents.

Only a fool assumes we are more powerful than the planet and somehow a virus that can over-run it... odds are good that when we are long gone, the planet will be still here exploring new life to evolve. 

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 2:17pm

fawkes wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 9:42am:

Good for who?

An old wanker.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 5:38pm

Sappho wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 1:46pm:
Only a fool assumes we are more powerful than the planet and somehow a virus that can over-run it...

We've done a pretty good job of messing it up so far, and we haven't even had our first major nuclear conflagration yet. We have driven numerous species to extinction, over-fished the world's fisheries to the point where fishing is uneconomical in large areas, chopped down most of the world's forests  and are currently arguing about whether we have destroyed the planet's climate patterns. Meanwhile, in a growing number of places we are becoming so angry and frustrated with other members of our own species that we elect politicians who border on madness whilst we try to bomb each other to pieces.

odds are good that when we are long gone, the planet will be still here exploring new life to evolve.  

You are right about that. The way we are going, the planet is likely to remain in a different condition long after we have gone.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 6:33pm

fawkes wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 5:38pm:
Only a fool assumes we are more powerful than the planet and somehow a virus that can over-run it...

We've done a pretty good job of messing it up so far, and we haven't even had our first major nuclear conflagration yet. We have driven numerous species to extinction, over-fished the world's fisheries to the point where fishing is uneconomical in large areas, chopped down most of the world's forests  and are currently arguing about whether we have destroyed the planet's climate patterns. Meanwhile, in a growing number of places we are becoming so angry and frustrated with other members of our own species that we elect politicians who border on madness whilst we try to bomb each other to pieces.

odds are good that when we are long gone, the planet will be still here exploring new life to evolve.  

You are right about that. The way we are going, the planet is likely to remain in a different condition long after we have gone.

Oh... go tell it to the dinosaurs.

Really, the way you talk... you'd think there was a meaning to life.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #43 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 6:51pm

fawkes wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 5:38pm:
Meanwhile, in a growing number of places we are becoming so angry and frustrated with other members of our own species that we elect politicians who border on madness whilst we try to bomb each other to pieces.

As opposed to those Idyllic days when benign dictators ruled the earth... y'know... before the Westminster system sacked Utopia... I think there were elves as well.... yeah... I'm pretty sure the elves were involved.

Or were they dwarves? Or gnomes? I can never remember the difference. One lot are just very short people and the other lot are short as well but also magical.

Anyway, elves were definitely involved.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:55pm

Sappho wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:46am:

The market is not free. It is controlled by govt checks and measures. These checks and measures along with sound economic policy ensure the majority have the means to satisfy food and shelter needs.

The welfare system has almost nothing to do with how food gets from the farm to the table. Contrast for example, water, sewage and raods with food and housing. That's what free means.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #45 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 7:05pm

freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:55pm:
Sappho wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:46am:

The welfare system has almost nothing to do with how food gets from the farm to the table. Contrast for example, water, sewage and raods with food and housing. That's what free means.

I wasn't talking about welfare. I was talking about entities such as Australian Prudential Regulation Authority or Australian Securities and Investment Commission. These bodies restrict the free market.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 9:12pm

It seems to me that some people may be using 'free' and 'random' interchangably. Just because something has rules doesn't mean it is not free. Or if something has an umpire and a watchdog.
As a matter of fact freedom can be conceived only if attendant rules are present and recognised.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:14am

With some restrictions. Shelter is important and mainly provided by private enterprise, but government too has a role, enforcing safe building codes for safe construction for everyone, and continually providing public housing for people neglected by the "free market".

Food is important too, but it would be wrong to think that the "free market" provided it all without government involvement. To provide just a couple of examples, it is government regulation that prevents shonky free market providers poisoning us with residues and dangerous ingredients left in some of their products. It is government regulation that helps free market providers produce profitably, by keeping plant and animal diseases out of our country.

There are plenty of rational justifications for leaving an industry in the hands of government

I would be interested to know what those justifications are, if you reckon importance is not one of them.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #48 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:10pm

Reading some of your posts Fawkes, I decided you would probably enjoy this quote from the 1981 movie, "Dinner with Andre".

Quote:
"We're bored. We're all bored now. But has it ever occurred to you, Wally, that the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now, may very well be a self perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing created by a world totalitarian government based on money and that all of this is much more dangerous than one thinks, and it's not just a question of individual survival, Wally, but that somebody who's bored is asleep, and somebody who's asleep will not say no?"

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #49 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 7:33pm

mozzaok wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:10pm:
"Dinner with Andre".

I forgive you everything, Mozz.  Smiley   Make me completely happy and say that you also have Vanya on 42nd Street in there among your mental furniture.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print