Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Incompetency, Why & When? (Read 5677 times)
Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Incompetency, Why & When?
Reply #45 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 7:05pm

freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:55pm:
Sappho wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:46am:
freediver wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 8:27pm:
Important? Aren't food and shelter some of the most important things? We happily let the free market deliver those.

The market is not free. It is controlled by govt checks and measures. These checks and measures along with sound economic policy ensure the majority have the means to satisfy food and shelter needs.

The welfare system has almost nothing to do with how food gets from the farm to the table. Contrast for example, water, sewage and raods with food and housing. That's what free means.

I wasn't talking about welfare. I was talking about entities such as Australian Prudential Regulation Authority or Australian Securities and Investment Commission. These bodies restrict the free market.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 9:12pm

It seems to me that some people may be using 'free' and 'random' interchangably. Just because something has rules doesn't mean it is not free. Or if something has an umpire and a watchdog.
As a matter of fact freedom can be conceived only if attendant rules are present and recognised.

IP Logged

fawkes

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:14am

Important? Aren't food and shelter some of the most important things? We happily let the free market deliver those.

With some restrictions. Shelter is important and mainly provided by private enterprise, but government too has a role, enforcing safe building codes for safe construction for everyone, and continually providing public housing for people neglected by the "free market".

Food is important too, but it would be wrong to think that the "free market" provided it all without government involvement. To provide just a couple of examples, it is government regulation that prevents shonky free market providers poisoning us with residues and dangerous ingredients left in some of their products. It is government regulation that helps free market providers produce profitably, by keeping plant and animal diseases out of our country.

There are plenty of rational justifications for leaving an industry in the hands of government

I would be interested to know what those justifications are, if you reckon importance is not one of them.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #48 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:10pm

Reading some of your posts Fawkes, I decided you would probably enjoy this quote from the 1981 movie, "Dinner with Andre".

Quote:
"We're bored. We're all bored now. But has it ever occurred to you, Wally, that the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now, may very well be a self perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing created by a world totalitarian government based on money and that all of this is much more dangerous than one thinks, and it's not just a question of individual survival, Wally, but that somebody who's bored is asleep, and somebody who's asleep will not say no?"

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #49 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 7:33pm

mozzaok wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:10pm:
"Dinner with Andre".

I forgive you everything, Mozz.  Smiley   Make me completely happy and say that you also have Vanya on 42nd Street in there among your mental furniture.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print