Send Topic Print
proper Islamic rape (Read 32455 times)
falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: proper Islamic rape
Reply #45 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:03pm

freediver wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 2:46pm:
BTW, thanks for a straight answer (finally). It was good of you to stop with your silly demands that I find the passage in the Koran for you that says rape is OK.

I still demand it. You say that Islam promotes it, but then fail to show us how that is so.

I have shown you the opposite is true. Islam teaches men to treat women with kindness, gentleness and honour!

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #46 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:11pm

falah wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:03pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 2:46pm:
Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 11:56am:
Quote:
And that's the core problem... the union of cynical interpretation and immutability

Yes.

There are plenty of people challenging traditional interpretations of Islam and Islamic texts - especially those referring to women.

The problem is perhaps in the hadith. They are used by men all over the Islamic world to deny women the rights given to them in the Quran.

I'm anticipating your reply that says "no, the problem is all religion itself."

Perhaps there is scope for progressive movement within Islam, but from what I have seen this only happens when Islam is abandoned. So much of Islam is about the rules governing every aspect of state and person, that once you strip them away there is not much left..

Forced sex in marriage is not a punishable offence in Islam. But that does not mean it is encouraged.

Just because no specific punishment is suggested, doesn't mean it's not haram. Is there a set punishment for drinking or gambling? Saying it's not encouraged is weak.

There are enough references in the Quran about treating wives with kindness to make it clear that violating her body through rape is more serious than just not being encouraged.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:33pm

Quote:
I still demand it. You say that Islam promotes it, but then fail to show us how that is so.

It promotes it by legalising it and by compelling the wife to not only put up with it, but to willingly obey. Can I rely on you to see common sense, or do I need a precedent from the Koran?

Quote:
There are enough references in the Quran about treating wives with kindness to make it clear that violating her body through rape is more serious than just not being encouraged.

You see a contradiction there. Many Muslims do not. Abu can even explain for you how slapping a disobedient wife does not contradict those passages. It is only a problem if you do it every day out of habit while in a drunken stupor. Likewise, Falah was explaining earlier that a woman consents to sex when she marries (still not sure how this works for slaves). Why would she marry if she didn't want sex? These are the things that a Muslim man thinks while raping women.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #48 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:44pm

Quote:
Likewise, Falah was explaining earlier that a woman consents to sex when she marries (still not sure how this works for slaves).

In this thread?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:47pm

Not this one. I can find it for you if you want, though it would be easier if Falah explained the concept for us here. I couldn't get him to elaborate on it at the time, and this is a good thread to bring it up again.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #50 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:52pm

Okay.

Falah can you explain what you meant?

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 7:54pm

freediver wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:33pm:
Quote:

It promotes it by legalising it and by compelling the wife to not only put up with it, but to willingly obey.
Can I rely on you to see common sense, or do I need a precedent from the Koran?

Yes, I would like to see the Quranic verse legalising rape. Do you have it or are you just lying like usual?

freediver wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:33pm:
Quote:

You see a contradiction there. Many Muslims do not. Abu can even explain for you how slapping a disobedient wife does not contradict those passages.

The Quran does not say anything about "slapping". It mentions beating, but as a last resort for disloyalty or ill-conduct, and only after the husband has tried other methods such as verbal warning and leaving the marital bed.

The Quran says (interpretation of the meaning):

Quote:
34. Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because God has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to God and to their husbands), and guard in the husband's absence what God orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property, etc.). As to those women on whose part you see ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful), but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, God is Ever Most High, Most Great.

Because the Muslims knew that they were not allowed to treat women harshly, one of Prophet Muhammed's companion's was asked about what the beating described in the verse meant.
He said that it meant hitting the wife with a twig that Arabs used to brush their teeth - hardly likely to cause injury or even discomfort.

‘Ata’ said: I said to Ibn ‘Abbaas, what is the kind of hitting that is not harsh? He said, Hitting with a siwaak and the like. [A siwaak is a small stick or twig used for cleaning the teeth]

Al-Hasan al-Basri, an Islamic scholar who grew up with the companions of prophet Muhammed said: "this means that it should not cause pain."

The Prophet actually advised against beating women even though it was technically permitted, and he hinmself set an example by never hitting his wives:

Bahz Ibn Hakim reported that his grandfather said: "I went to the Apostle of God and asked him: What do you say (command) about our wives? He replied: Give them food what you have for yourself, and clothe them by which you clothe yourself, and do not beat them, and do not revile them. (Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 11, Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Number 2139)

The prophet showed his disapproval of beating women:

Iyas ibn Abdullah ibn AbuDhubab reported that the Prophet said: "Do not beat God's female servants, but when Umar came to the Apostle of God and said: Women have become rebellious towards their husbands, he (the Prophet) gave permission to beat them. Then many women came round the family of the Apostle of God complaining against their husbands. So the Apostle of God said: Many women have gone to the wives of Muhammad complaining against their husbands; these men are not the best among you."

The Prophet (peace and blessings of God be upon him) enjoined kind treatment and honouring of one’s wife, and he described the best of people as those who are best to their wives. He said: “The best of you are those who are the best to their wives, and I am the best of you to my wives.”
(at-Tirmidhi, 3895; Ibn Maajah, 1977; classed as an authentic hadeeth by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi)

“You never spend anything but you will be rewarded for it (by God), even the morsel of food that you lift to your wife’s mouth.”
(al-Bukhari, 6352; Muslim, 1628)

It is only a problem if you do it every day out of habit while in a drunken stupor. Likewise, Falah was explaining earlier that a woman consents to sex when she marries (still not sure how this works for slaves). Why would she marry if she didn't want sex? These are the things that a Muslim man thinks while raping women. [/quote]

How Westerners Treat Women:

This is what the guardians of the people do (police) then what about ordinary Westerners?

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:10pm by falah »  

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 7:57pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 6:52pm:
Okay.

When you marry someone, you have a duty to care for them. This includes satisfying their sexual needs. Therefore, if you don't want to have sex with somebody, then you shouldn't marry them.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:00pm

falah wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 7:57pm:
Okay.

When you marry someone, you have a duty to care for them. This includes satisfying their sexual needs. Therefore, if you don't want to have sex with somebody, then you shouldn't marry them.

Isn't the argument about where, when, how often and who, in the marriage, gets to make those calls?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #54 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:07pm

Okay.

Does that include a husband taking care of his wife's sexual needs?

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:11pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:07pm:
Okay.

Of course.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #56 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:20pm

Can't a man refuse to satisfy his wife's sexual needs to punish her? Isn't he then neglecting his duty?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:20pm

falah wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:11pm:
Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:07pm:
Okay.

Of course.

And what happens when her needs are expresse thus:
'Not now, habibi. You have been a pig of a man and you do nothing around the house. No pussy until I feel like giving it''?

What does the village Muslim in Kandahar to do? Wash the dishes? Read a bedtime story to his daughter?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #58 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 9:52pm

Quote:
Yes, I would like to see the Quranic verse legalising rape. Do you have it or are you just lying like usual?

This is the strangest form of obfuscation I have seen yet, but for some reason I am not surprised. Why are you asking me Falah? I only go by what you and Abu tell me. What you are telling me is that a Muslim man may rape and beat his wives and slaves and donkeys. But only if they are disobedient, which makes it OK.

Quote:
The Quran does not say anything about "slapping". It mentions beating

You say beat, Abu says slap. Why do you think I care about the distinction?

Quote:
He said that it meant hitting the wife with a twig that Arabs used to brush their teeth - hardly likely to cause injury or even discomfort.

Yes I know. Abu described it as being more about the humiliation than the violence. If it didn't come from a 'holy' book they would call you a psycho.

Quote:
Many women have gone to the wives of Muhammad complaining against their husbands; these men are not the best among you.

And that put things in order? The best men can control women without the use of violence? That puts domestic violence in the same league as eggshells in the ommelette. Given that Islam has a medieval punishment for just about everything it is odd that wife beating is considered 'not the best' yet not punished.

Quote:

What if you want to have sex with them occasionally, when both of you consent, rather than becoming their sex slave. Does Islam have that kind of marriage, or is that just western nonsense, like falling in love before you get married?

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:45pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:20pm:
Can't a man refuse to satisfy his wife's sexual needs to punish her? Isn't he then neglecting his duty?

Not without warning her first.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print