Polygamy in Pakistan (Read 1967 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Polygamy in Pakistan
Jan 24th, 2010 at 5:48pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy_in_Pakistan

Polygamous unions are legally permissible in the muslim nation of Pakistan, yet such unions are overwhelmingly seen as a taboo[1], despite that the fact that 95% of the population is affiliated with Islam, which permits polygamy for men. Since the 1980s, there have been numerous crackdowns and restrictions set on polygamy in the nation, similar to such in Indonesia. Still, such unions are still perfectly legal under Pakistani law, though numerous Women's rights groups have fiercely opposed such legality, and have been strong proponents of ending the practice. Whether this is an achievable task is yet to be determined.

Is polygamy something that is permissable but can be discarded by the entire society?

Would it be unIslamic to actually ban it, or to 'crack down' on it? Is it unIslamic to criticise someone for taking a second (or fourth) wife, provided he can afford all the women?

Is this part of a broader shift away from traditional or 'true' Islamic values in Pakistan?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Polygamy in Pakistan
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 9:13pm

Quote:
Would it be unIslamic to actually ban it

Of course it would, and it's undemocratic to not allow it in democratic countries too. Apparently consenting adults are supposed to have a right to marry who they want, unless they happen to be Muslims.

The Western opposition to polygamy is just ludicrous, and actually goes against all the principles democratic countries call for. In fact I can envision one day they'll permit polygamous marriages for "swingers" but it'll be banned if it's related to Islam.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 9:38pm

Quote:
Of course it would, and it's undemocratic to not allow it in democratic countries too.

How is it undemocratic? I hope your concept of what is unIslamic is a bit more solid than your understanding of what is undemocratic.

Quote:
The Western opposition to polygamy is just ludicrous

Do you include Pakistan in that?

Quote:
and actually goes against all the principles democratic countries call for

Would you mind listing those principles for me?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 10:39pm

Quote:
How is it undemocratic? I hope your concept of what is unIslamic is a bit more solid than your understanding of what is undemocratic.

Democratic countries generally hold to the principal that consenting adults should be allowed to form sexual relationships as they see fit.

I'm well aware you'll try to now dodge this by switching down to some baser definition of democracy as merely a country that has a popularly elected leader, but we've been over this enough times already, and we both know that is not what democracy is.

The "Democratic free world" would not accept as democratic, a country where consenting adults are prohibited from forming sexual relationships of their own choosing.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 7:42am

Quote:
Democratic countries generally hold to the principal that consenting adults should be allowed to form sexual relationships as they see fit.

So if a country does something different to what democratic countries generally do they are being undemocratic?

Quote:
I'm well aware you'll try to now dodge this by switching down to some baser definition of democracy as merely a country that has a popularly elected leader, but we've been over this enough times already, and we both know that is not what democracy is.

Oh really? What is democracy then? You seemed to have no problem with the concept of democracy with your take on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Or maybe you did. Is the DPRK undemocratic because of the food they eat?

Quote:
The "Democratic free world" would not accept as democratic, a country where consenting adults are prohibited from forming sexual relationships of their own choosing.

Sure they would.

IP Logged

pope urban 2

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:30am

Funny how its only men who get to have more than one wife, what happens if a woman wants more than one husband. How would she fair in Pakistan.

God takes care of old folks and fools, while the Devil makes up all the rules.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:40am

Quote:
So if a country does something different to what democratic countries generally do they are being undemocratic?

As we've discussed plenty of times before, Democracy is an ideology, not merely a means of electing a leader. If a country is deemed democratic by the leadership of the democratic countries worldwide, then it will be declared democratic, yes. If not, then like Iran, and like Palestine, like Algeria it will be declared undemocratic, ostracised and isolated and/or overthrown and declared a worldwide enemy of Democracy.

Quote:
Oh really? What is democracy then?

Either you have a very short memory, or you're just wanting to waste time going around in circles. We've discussed this numerous times, and I've defined for you my understanding of what democracy is during the course of those discussions. Click the little button up top there labeled "search" and reminisce a little.

Quote:
You seemed to have no problem with the concept of democracy with your take on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Are you for real?? Do you honestly believe I ever called the DPRK a democracy?? I was mocking simpletons who believe a country is Islamic just because it says so in their title... You must be pretty short for that to go over your head. Grin

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 11:33am

Quote:
If a country is deemed democratic by the leadership of the democratic countries worldwide, then it will be declared democratic, yes.

Not sure what you are trying to say here Abu. Are you just trying to demonstrate circular logic?

Quote:
Either you have a very short memory, or you're just wanting to waste time going around in circles. We've discussed this numerous times, and I've defined for you my understanding of what democracy is during the course of those discussions.

All I remember is that you seemed confused about what democracy is. You seemed incapable of distuinguishing between democracy and freedom for example. I didn't realise your incoherent ramblings were some kind of definition. Perhaps you could give a simple definition that doesn't involve a few pages of you trying to avoid thre question?

Quote:
Are you for real?? Do you honestly believe I ever called the DPRK a democracy?? I was mocking simpletons who believe a country is Islamic just because it says so in their title... You must be pretty short for that to go over your head.

Yes Abu I realise that. That was my point. You appear capable of understanding democracy in some circumstances.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print