Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Airlines reject fat levy (Read 1161 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Airlines reject fat levy
Jan 21st, 2010 at 12:44pm

charge 'em danno.
extra fees for the over 100 kger people.
super fees for the over 150 kgers.

weight is a consideration when flying planes and fatsos are ugly.

Quote:
AUSTRALIA'S main domestic airlines will not force obese people to pay for two seats despite the adoption of such a policy by international airline Air France-KLM.

Air France-KLM says that, for ''safety'' reasons, large passengers will have to pay an additional 75 per cent of the original ticket price (excluding tax and surcharges) for an adjacent seat..............

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/airlines-reject-fat-levy-20100120-ml...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Re: Airlines reject fat levy
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 1:46pm

Although I would feel a bit sorry for my obese friends, I really think they should pay for two seats if they take up two seats. Same for cinemas and other similar places.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 6:51pm

I think that given rising fuel costs, instead of getting your baggage weighed, the whole package - including yourself and your carry on luggage - should be weighed. I know I often put especially heavy items (eg laptop with extra battery) in my carry on to save charges, plus I wear my steel caps on the plane. Obviously an additional charge is also in order if you need two seats. If the started charging, they could add slightly larger seats and charge only slightly more for them.

They should also start taxing the fuel for international flights. At the moment I think it is tax free by itnernational law, which is getting silly. Not just to cover government expenses and raise revenue, but to reduce greenhouse emissions. Flying is about the worst thing you can do for the climate.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 2:27pm

It should be user pays, otherwise it is like with Medicare, some support others.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 4:09am

freediver wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 6:51pm:
I think that given rising fuel costs, instead of getting your baggage weighed, the whole package - including yourself and your carry on luggage - should be weighed. I know I often put especially heavy items (eg laptop with extra battery) in my carry on to save charges, plus I wear my steel caps on the plane. Obviously an additional charge is also in order if you need two seats. If the started charging, they could add slightly larger seats and charge only slightly more for them.

They should also start taxing the fuel for international flights. At the moment I think it is tax free by itnernational law, which is getting silly. Not just to cover government expenses and raise revenue, but to reduce greenhouse emissions. Flying is about the worst thing you can do for the climate.

At what percentage would you reckon air travel contributes to greenhouse emissions?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:47pm

In total, not much. I think the whole transport sector is 1/6th to 1/3rd of anthropogenic emissions. But compared to their contribution to the economy, it is huge. It is a low hanging fruit for emissions reduction.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:35pm

If you're overweight and need more space, you should pay for it. Maybe it'll be an incentive for people to get healthier.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:55am

Quote:
Maybe it'll be an incentive for people to get healthier.

Completely agree, but I'm not sure about this one. The entire phenomenon of obesity is totally predicated upon a willingness to spend an exorbitant amount of money on something that is both detrimental and unnecessary; having to pay a little more for a plane isn't going to stop these fat bastards.

I do wonder what would happen if you started making them pay for their obesity related healthcare though Sad

IP Logged

aikmann4
Gold Member

canberra
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 7:16am

freediver wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:47pm:
In total, not much. I think the whole transport sector is 1/6th to 1/3rd of anthropogenic emissions. But compared to their contribution to the economy, it is huge. It is a low hanging fruit for emissions reduction.

I bothered to look it up (I'm bored)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 9:50pm

Thanks Imp.

IP Logged

Megalodon

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 7:38am

Fat people are disgusting, just like muzzies. We should shoot them all.

Aussie to everyone: "It's all your fault!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print