Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Home births on the rise in SA (Read 875 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Home births on the rise in SA
Jan 20th, 2010 at 8:46pm

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/192_02_180110/ken10465_fm.html

Around 10% of women had a home birth in North Adelaide as part of a publicly funded community midwifery project. This study found a 7 fold increase in the risk of intrapartum death (during childbirth or during delivery) and a 27 fold increase in the risk of intrapartum asphyxia ('drowning').

The response from Homebirth Australia:

http://www.homebirthaustralia.org/

“To date Health Minister, Nicola Roxon and even Kevin Rudd have been spellbound by the AMA, acting in its members’ interests, rather than those of women choosing to birth at home.” said Ms Caines

“It’s time to grow up.  We challenge Prime Minister Rudd to declare homebirth unsafe and establish legislation to make it unlawful or provide appropriate funding and insurance protection for private homebirth care.” said Ms Caines

“The AMA considers a woman choosing caesarean section without any medical need totally acceptable and the Australian taxpayer funds the huge cost.  A woman choosing to maximise her chances of health and wellbeing through homebirth is discriminated against with no funding or insurance protection.  It would seem Minister Roxon does not have the ticker to put women ahead of the AMA.  This cannot continue.”

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Home births on the rise in SA
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 10:11am

Hospital births are safer than home ones.

Esp if there are ANY complications.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 10:34am

I think homebirths obviously have the potential for not being able to deal properly with complications, but I also think the medical establishment plays up the risks a lot. My sister had a homebirth with her last child, with no problems at all.

I think birthing centres are a great alternative, something in the middle. Hospital staff are not too far away if needed, but it's a fairly "homeley" atmosphere with only midwives around. All my kids have been born in birthing centres, and I highly recommend them.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 11:53am

Can someone tell me the benefits of having a home birth or delivering at a birthing centre as opposed to an actual hospital? I'm sure that you don't have to get a caesarean section if you go to a hospital unless there are complications.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 12:03pm

that's my understanding also jae.

if there are troubles, in a hospital there is an operating theater all kitted out down the ward.
if there are troubles at home ......... there ain't

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 1:17pm

Quote:
Can someone tell me the benefits of having a home birth or delivering at a birthing centre as opposed to an actual hospital?

Firstly a birthing centre is actually part of a hospital, it's just separate usually from the main maternity wards and is only manned (pun intended) by women, most of them midwives.

The main benefits are the relaxed and comfortable environment, which a hospital generally doesn't provide. Also with hospitals there's a much higher probability that some kind of intervention will occur, such as c-section or administering unnecessary drugs etc.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 1:48pm

Makes sense I guess. I still wouldn't go for a home birth if I was a woman though. Just a midwife around seems a bit risky.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:26pm

I think a lot of it has to do with individual circumstances. Some women are more prone to having complications, whilst others are not. If someone knows they are prone to complications, then it wouldn't make sense to have a homebirth. Whilst those who've had several trouble-free deliveries already see it as a viable option.

For most of our history it was the norm and in many countries it still is.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 6:47pm

I think it's just as easy to ask for no drugs and no c-section as it is to ask for a home birth or birthing centre. As it is, if you don't ask for drugs, you don't get them. A C section is not brought up by the staff unless there is a medical reason, but the choice is still yours. A homebirth just limits your options.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 8:22pm

Most females I speak to disagree. They say they were burdened with guilt trips by hospital staff into accepting interventionist practises.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print