Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
pirate boat damaged in collision with whalers (Read 23319 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: pirate boat damaged in collision with whalers
Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 3:47pm

Papa Smurf wrote on Feb 20th, 2010 at 3:39pm:
Let just say both parties involved are brainwashing crew with propaganda to achieve their desired outcomes...

Like chess with real people.

The whalers are paid employees on a commercial venture. I don't see why there would be any need to brainwash them. Politically, they are in a very delicate position, and would make sure all their employees are level headed and calm, not brainwashed lunatics. If both groups were like that there would have been bloodshed a long time ago.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Papa Smurf

Australian Speaker

At a store near you
Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 3:53pm

Your right of course, but money is the world's religion. A person willing to do anything to feed a starving family because money enslave people, counts as a form of brainwashing. In the end though, these 2 organizations are just pawns of a bigger organization...

It'z a damn pore mined that can fink of only one way to spell a word.
&&&&...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 4:19pm

which is?

IP Logged

Papa Smurf

Australian Speaker

At a store near you
Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 4:22pm

freediver wrote on Feb 20th, 2010 at 4:19pm:
which is?

Global Corporatocracy...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatocracy

&&&&...

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #19 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 2:21am

I have no doubt that they do this not just on a regular basis P.S., but as a protocol for control.
All pollies suck up to their funders. Labor, Liberal, and most especially U.S. governments that rely almost exclusively on corporations to get them elected.
The Bilderberg group, amongst others, have been physically meeting in secret for years without the masses even knowing, let alone us demanding the minutes of their meetings.
Sure they could make their deals much more secretly via webcast, but that wouldn't be austentatious enough for their liking.

Re: Your tag.
I don't like Plato from what I know of him. I think that he was a liar. Aristotle is much more to my liking.
Conquering yourself is subjective and personal in nature. Nobody needs to conquer themselves to satisfy outside judgement, they only need to do the best that they are able given the tools at their disposal and the circumstances present. The best that you can do is well good enough IMO, even if it results in an outside perception of failure.
Maybe I am misunderstanding Plato's meaning there, but I see it as requiring confirmation from outside sources that one has gained control over themselves where for whatever reason, it may be a physical impossibility.
I think that we need to learn more about what makes us tick and not expect that everybody is equally capable of achieving the same results.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Japan gets the nod to kill whales again
Reply #20 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 7:52am

It is annoying when they equate environmentalists with animal libbers. It would still be a great victory for the environment, because the whales were brought back from the brink of extinction. It would just be a blow for animal libbers, who had finally been in a position to tell people what they can and cannot eat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthcomment/geoffrey-lean/7273258/Japan-gets-the-nod-to-kill-whales-again.html

Commercial whaling may soon resume, after being banned for nearly a quarter of a century. Secret talks, to be held in Florida at the beginning of next month, look like finalising a deal to allow Japan to begin killing the leviathans for gain once more. The deal would go to the International Whaling Commission for approval in June.

World governments agreed to a moratorium on hunting in 1982, after species after species had been driven to the brink of extinction. The halt began five years later, but Japan has exploited a loophole that allows "scientific" whaling, ostensibly for research. It kills about 1,000 great whales around Antarctica annually.

The deal remains under wraps, but is expected to allow the country to whale in its coastal waters. In return, Japan would slightly scale back its Antarctic hunt, but – in another victory for its government – that hunt might be legitimised. Iceland, which also conducts scientific whaling, and Norway, which legally exempted itself from the ban, may also agree to scale back their very much smaller operations.

The idea is that fewer whales would be killed and an anarchic state of affairs brought under control. But conservationists fear that – apart from conceding a principle that represents one of their greatest international victories – the agreement would lead to other countries starting hunts in their coastal waters, and to a worldwide revival of officially sanctioned whaling.

IP Logged

Papa Smurf

Australian Speaker

At a store near you
Reply #21 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 11:46am

Amadd wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 at 2:21am:
Re: Your tag.
I don't like Plato from what I know of him. I think that he was a liar. Aristotle is much more to my liking.
Conquering yourself is subjective and personal in nature. Nobody needs to conquer themselves to satisfy outside judgement, they only need to do the best that they are able given the tools at their disposal and the circumstances present. The best that you can do is well good enough IMO, even if it results in an outside perception of failure.
Maybe I am misunderstanding Plato's meaning there, but I see it as requiring confirmation from outside sources that one has gained control over themselves where for whatever reason, it may be a physical impossibility.
I think that we need to learn more about what makes us tick and not expect that everybody is equally capable of achieving the same results.

Aristotle brings up some very good concepts. Plato's words here don't imply the need to satisfy outside judgement. They symbolise the need to silence the inner/self judgement that keeps people from being the best they can be. Perhaps you'd like me to change my tag to something like this...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small part does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~Nelson Mandela in his 1994 inaugural speech

Im sorry for getting off topic with this disscussion freediver, but I did my own research into the Sea Shepard society. Chatting with the pirates was quite an an experience, and maybe this does make me a bit bias to the whole thing. But I do enjoy your news reports and letters, so please, continue Smiley

&&&&...

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 12:56pm

I like whales, and dolphins, and would prefer if japanese people chose something else to eat.

My preference in meat is for it to emanate from the dumb end of the food chain, so naturally I have right wing conservatives as my primary protein source.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

pope urban 2

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #23 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 1:10pm

Wish I could sail the world on someone else's dime, get a job tree huggers.

God takes care of old folks and fools, while the Devil makes up all the rules.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Australia whaling proposal 'regrettable'
Reply #24 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 9:49pm

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1017431/rudd-govt-urges-end-to-whaling/?r...2/26/2010.

Japan has described an Australian proposal calling for an end to commercial whaling as "extremely regrettable", while maintaining its annual whale hunt is for scientific research.

The Rudd government has presented a proposal to the International Whaling Commission (IWC) calling for an end to whaling in the Southern Ocean within five years.

The proposal also calls for the practice of so-called scientific whaling to be abolished by bringing all whaling under the control of the commission.

But Japanese officials responded to the Australian proposal by stressing the legitimacy of their research, conducted using a loophole in an international moratorium.

"It is extremely regrettable that such a proposal was made," State Secretary of Foreign Affairs Koichi Takemasa said.

There are also concerns the tension over whaling could harm diplomatic relations.

Last week, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced his government would take international legal action against Japan if it did not agree, by November, to end whaling in the Southern Ocean.

Japanese Senior Vice-Minister of Agriculture Akira Gunji defended the annual hunt for whales as "a legitimate activity based on an international treaty".

"We have to work hard so that the whaling issue will not affect the friendly Japan-Australia relations."

The Rudd government's proposal says ending scientific whaling remains a "major priority".

"Australia needs to see an immediate end to unilateral so-called scientific whaling," the proposal said.

Currently, commercial whaling is banned but countries can hunt whales in the name of science. Up to 1900 whales are killed each year.

The proposal also calls for all other whaling, other than aboriginal subsistence whaling, to be phased out and that no new whaling be permitted on species or populations not currently hunted.

It also calls for an immediate end to the hunting of vulnerable species and that no whaling take place in sanctuaries.

"Australia will continue to argue vigorously that whaling should be phased down to zero, with total and permanent elimination of all whaling (other than current aboriginal subsistence whaling), within a reasonable timeframe," the proposal said.

"However, the government recognises the significant difficulties to be overcome to meet this outcome and acknowledges that it may not be possible to achieve these goals immediately."

Australian officials will push their case at a meeting of an IWC working group in the United States next week.

IP Logged

Papa Smurf

Australian Speaker

At a store near you
Reply #25 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:21am

Politicians are the same all over.  They promise to build a bridge, even where there is no river

&&&&...

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #26 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 12:10am

Quote:
Perhaps you'd like me to change my tag to something like this...

No not at all. I'm probably just being a bit negative about how the statement may be perceived and how I perceive it. Nothing would be worse than people not saying what they think or believe.

I don't really agree with Mandella's statement either. Give an individual some instant power and see how they will weild the axe. They will embrace power, they will love it, because they have always craved it.
Nope, I don't think that people are scared of being top of the heap, they just don't want to take the risk of failing, myself included of course.

If I had the power, I would save the whales from the japs. In fact, I'd gun down any jap vessel that comes uninvited within 1000 kooees of our shores. Didn't we sort that lot out in the world wars? Obviously not.
Keep those Nipon densoes away. They have already displayed their propensity for destruction and nothing has really changed except for the laws that they have been forced to live by.
They'd hunt the majestic whales to extinction if they had their way.  They're a stuffed up unempathetic lot those japs.

IP Logged

Papa Smurf

Australian Speaker

At a store near you
Reply #27 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 9:55am

Quote:
I don't really agree with Mandella's statement either. Give an individual some instant power and see how they will weild the axe. They will embrace power, they will love it, because they have always craved it. Nope, I don't think that people are scared of being top of the heap, they just don't want to take the risk of failing, myself included of course.

Interesting perspective...
Give an individual some instant power and watch it crush them. That power will absorb them and they will think they love it, yet it is just another addiction. True power cannot be given.

Gun down jap vessels? Ease up turbo. Most of Australia doesn't know what kind of "scientific research" the whales could be used for. In the interest of Australian scientific advancement, we need to discover what the japanese motives are. I propose we hunt and capture a few japanese government officals and do a little "scientific research" of our own.

&&&&...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 8:30pm

Quote:
They'd hunt the majestic whales to extinction if they had their way.

I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to hunt them forever.

IP Logged

Papa Smurf

Australian Speaker

At a store near you
Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 9:10am

freediver wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 8:30pm:
Quote:
They'd hunt the majestic whales to extinction if they had their way.

I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to hunt them forever.

Haven't these people ever heard of farming...?

&&&&...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print