Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
I now respect Islam (Read 13641 times)
Ephestion

Australian Politics

I now respect Islam
Dec 15th, 2009 at 1:37am

I have decided that religious antagonism me being Greek Christian Orthodox and others being Muslim should not sway my logic. If a person believes in God but in a different way to myself then I should simply respect that and leave no reason for conflict between me and them. I believe in One God Father almighty of Heaven and Earth, Of the visible and invisible, And in Jesus Christ son of God, the only begotten through the Holy Spirit. And as such i no longer will argue on religion. It is my duty as a Christian to respect all religions and not to reject nor conflict with anyone over their faith.

Abu I apologise.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: I now respect Islam
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 6:33am

Well Ephestion, while you may take personal comfort in the idea that your position is noble, in fact it merely means that you have decided to stop fighting about whose invisible friend is the best, and that is a very sensible approach to take, as neither can prove the real worth of their god of choice.

To think that all criticism of Islam, or Christianity is based on this personal competitiveness is not always true, for very often it is an individual act or specific interpretation which comes into question, and these can be examined and argued from the more objective perspective of how they fit in with our standards of decency and morality.

For people like myself who believe gods and religions to be man made concepts, then obviously all the inherent flaws and weaknesses we see mankind party to are reflected in the beliefs of religious people.

As a favourite writer of mine once wrote;

"Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a God superior to themselves. Most Gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child." ---
Robert A. Heinlein

So if we could see a god invented who was not supposed to be omniscient, or omnipotent, then we could see the chance of finding a god who could grow, and learn from his mistakes, rather than having them enshrined in sacred text.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2009 at 6:58am by mozzaok »  

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:17am

mozzaok wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 6:33am:
So if we could see a god invented who was not supposed to be omniscient, or omnipotent, then we could see the chance of finding a god who could grow, and learn from his mistakes, rather than having them enshrined in sacred text.

Now what would be the bloody point of that, Mozz?  Smiley

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:30am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:17am:
mozzaok wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 6:33am:

Now what would be the bloody point of that, Mozz?  Smiley

lmao, (replies in a very thick cockney accent,) "noddalot"

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:55am

ephestion - respect this

Quote:
Human rights watchdog Amnesty International has called on Saudi Arabia to stay a sentence of 40 lashes handed down against a 75-year-old woman for breaching the kingdom's sex segregation rules.

"The minister of the interior (Prince Nayef bin Abdul Aziz) is reported to have ordered the immediate detention and flogging of a 75-year-old woman, Khamisa Mohammed Sawadi, along with two Saudi Arabian men known only as Fahad and Hadyan," the London-based watchdog said.

"The Saudi Arabian authorities must not carry out the imminent flogging and imprisonment of an elderly woman and two younger men."

Amnesty said all avenues of appeal had been exhausted in Saudi courts against the trio's March conviction for being in the company of members of the opposite sex who were not close relatives.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 9:18am

Ephestion, a noble gesture indeed. I accept your apology and I also apologise for any hurt I may have caused to you or your beliefs during the course of our arguments.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 6:46pm

Ephestion, perhaps you should try approaching the issue from a more 'universal' perpective, rather than a 'Christian' perpsective. There are some very practical implications of the beliefs of people like Abu on other people that have rather unpalatable implications. Disrespect of these beliefs is an important part of modern civilisation, democracy and humanity, regardless of the religious aspects.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Islam_and_Australian_values

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 9:09pm

In other words FD, "Dont' give up your bigotry just yet, there's still much more about Islam for which you should keep your blind hatred about them, here's a link to my little anti-Islamic hateblog".

Nice one mate. Very proud of yourself I'm sure.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 9:17pm

Ultimately proselytising religions and political systems tolerate no rivals within their respective domain. Sooner or later, where they meet, they will clash... The best you can hope for is a stand-off.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:01pm

Not necessarily helian.

Islamic law for instance has provision for co-existence with political entities that do not oppress or hinder Muslims from their religion. So I can't see it becoming a problem, if Australia and other Western nations remain true to their secular values. However if they become consumed by the nutcases as we see plenty of examples of here (eg. Yadda, Sprint, FD), then yes there is a possibility of a conflict. The peddlers of the self-fulfilling prophecy that will give them the opportunity to attack Islam and Muslims.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:09pm

The way that Islam treats non-Muslims would count as oppression and hinderance if the situation were reversed. I would certainly consider it oppression, as would most westerners. It is apartheid, on religious rather than racial grounds.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:09pm

Ephestion wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 1:37am:
Abu I apologise.

Apologise.jpg (41 KB | 38 )
Apologise.jpg

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:10pm

He apologised.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:14pm

abu_rashid wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:01pm:
Not necessarily helian.

Abu, as you know, ultimately Islam will tolerate no political or religious rivals... Hence the precarious religio-political schizophrenia of Turkish society.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:18pm

Perhaps Abu can explain to his new friend whether a non-Muslim can lead a 'proper' muslim nation, and whether muslims and non-muslims are treated equally under the law in a 'proper' muslim nation.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print