Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Les Twentyman calls for mandatory national service (Read 2735 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Les Twentyman calls for mandatory national service
Nov 18th, 2009 at 12:09pm

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Les Twentyman calls for mandatory national service

Youth worker Les Twentyman has called for a return to mandatory national service to counter youth unemployment and misbehaviour. Picture: Mark Smith Source: Herald Sun

A LEADING youth worker is calling for a return to national service to combat street violence, and unemployment.

Young men and women should be forced into the military through a universal conscription scheme after completing their high school exams, says Les Twentyman, a Melbourne social worker and former teacher who is pitching the controversial idea to the federal government.

Under Mr Twentyman's proposal, the national service program would last 18 months and be called "Australian Education Services".

Youths who go on to a post-secondary education, an apprenticeship, a professional sports contract or skilled full-time work after high school would be exempt from joining the service.

But those youths who fall through the cracks earlier than Year 12 could be forced to join as young as 14 through alternative measures in the courts to avoid jail time.

Such a program is desperately needed to pull back a rising tide of social issues that has spiked crime rates and gang activity, Mr Twentyman says.

He said it would have off-shoot economic benefits by training the next generation with new skills and lowering obesity rates through intensive physical training.

"I know it's radical, but what's the alternative?" Mr Twentyman said.

There would be a heavy focus on sports, recreation and career training in professions like engineering, computer science and culinary arts - all in a bid to see youths leave the service less likely to commit crimes, become unemployed or join a criminal gang.

National service members would also be enlisted to help during bushfire season, assisting fire authorities in controlled burning, fire fighting and rebuilding efforts.

Neighbourhoods would be cleaned up by the national service, removing graffiti and debris after disasters, working hand-in-hand with state emergency services.

Members would not undertake any weapons training or see combat unless they continued with a military career after their mandatory enlistment.

"It's not like you're going to be punished or be at a boot camp," he said.

"It will be a stimulating program to develop young people - in some cases those at risk - to help increase their self esteem. For others, they can learn something they couldn't do before."

National service had to be mandatory because it would become too stigmatised if it only focused on troubled youths, he said.

He hopes exemptions from the program through higher-education and training options will ease critics of the plan.

The potential program would be co-managed by the defence department and the department of education.

Mr Twentyman said he was seeking a meeting with government ministers to discuss the proposal and he hoped it sparked public debate.

Australia suspended national service in 1973, but women have never been forced to join the military.

The previous conscription scheme was a random draw of 20-year-old men based on birth date, who were then forced into two years of full-time duties and a further three years on active reserve.

A 1999 report for the federal government into bringing back compulsory military service estimated the salary cost alone to be "massively expensive" at $2.8 billion.

The report said compulsory military service could not be approved without support from both the House of Representatives and the Senate, but revealed gender equality issues would mean women would have to be included.

More than two dozen countries support mandatory military service, including Israel - where both men and women over 18 must serve - and Singapore, were men serve for a minimum of two years.

Source: Herald-Sun

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Les Twentyman calls for mandatory national service
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 1:06pm

IMO, a good idea, that hopefully would teach, encourage, a commitment to the nation, and to the 'community' we all belong to.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 1:33pm

excellent idea.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 2:30pm

Yadda wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 1:06pm:
IMO, a good idea, that hopefully would teach, encourage, a commitment to the nation, and to the 'community' we all belong to.

I agree. We should open the debate on this - It's a democratic country, so let's do a poll. Those people over 23 are exempted because it doesn't concern them.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 2:37pm

muso wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 2:30pm:

I agree. We should open the debate on this - It's a democratic country, so let's do a poll.
Those people over 23 are exempted because it doesn't concern them.

And we should let politicians set their own pay scales and super, coz  it doesn't concern other ppl.

Duh.

And perhaps we should let school students set their own curriculum's too, etc, etc, etc.

You are using some weird logic there mus.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:12pm

Yadda wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 2:37pm:
muso wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 2:30pm:

I agree. We should open the debate on this - It's a democratic country, so let's do a poll.
Those people over 23 are exempted because it doesn't concern them.

And we should let politicians set their own pay scales and super, coz  it doesn't concern other ppl.

Duh.

And perhaps we should let school students set their own curriculum's too, etc, etc, etc.

You are using some weird logic there mus.

Weird logic? - as in allowing the majority of the population decide on enforcing military service on a certain age group (mostly over 18) for their own good? Nah - nothing wrong with that at all.  Grin You'd like it - It's almost like Biblical retribution.

The way the increasing cost of aged accommodation is going, it wouldn't surprise me if, some time in the future, the majority vote on compulsary Euthenasia for those over 65 - but that would be inhumane.

What's weird about that logic?  After all, you wouldn't want to let old people have a say in their own future would you? Let's face the facts -  we know that they're a bunch of reprobates - traipsing all over the country burning fuel that's in short supply, clogging the roads - and squandering the inheritance of younger people. They serve no useful purpose for society. They just drain our resources.  Wink

Put them in concentration camps, I say. That's the only humane thing to do.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:18pm

muso wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:12pm:
Weird logic? - as in allowing the majority of the population decide on enforcing military service
on a certain age group (mostly over 18) for their own good? Nah - nothing wrong with that at all.  Grin You'd like it - It's almost like Biblical retribution.

Duh, read the heading again muso.

Nothing about military service.

Everything about national service.

Quote:
The way the increasing cost of aged accommodation is going, it wouldn't surprise me if, some time in the future, the majority vote on compulsary Euthenasia for those over 65
- but that would be inhumane.

What's weird about that logic?  After all, you wouldn't want to let old people have a say in their own future would you? Let's face the facts -  we know that they're a bunch of reprobates - traipsing all over the country burning fuel that's in short supply, and clogging the roads - and squandering the inheritance of younger people. They serve no useful purpose for society. They just drain our resources.  Wink

Nice try muso.         Grin

But i'm not biting, on that bait.           Tongue

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:19pm

muso - good point.

the idea should not be limited to an age group, that's ageism

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:27pm

muso, I think it's more about asking the age group where most of the bludgers are likely to come from versus asking the age group where most of their benefactors are likely to come from... Which would give a better vote do you think?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

skippy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:28pm

Quote:
Youths who go on to a post-secondary education, an apprenticeship, a professional sports contract or skilled full-time work after high school would be exempt from joining the service

MMM, I think he'd be better geting the people who want trades to join the service rather than those he considers dont have "skilled" jobs.
Would the army want people who didn't want to be there? I doubt it, thats one of the reasons national service was dumped.

Quote:
A 1999 report for the federal government into bringing back compulsory military service estimated the salary cost alone to be "massively expensive" at $2.8 billion.

Look at the costs,and that was ten years ago.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:28pm

Let's put it this way - you would probably get a response from the under 25's, but it probably would be a non-verbal and non-written response, and it would probably involve the middle digit.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:29pm

muso wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:12pm:

What a waste of 'resources' though!!

IMO muso, you should start the
Soylent Green Party of Australia

Google,
soylent green

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=soylent+green&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 3:32pm

I was being tounge in cheek, but come on! - wake up to yourselves.

IP Logged

Ephestion

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 4:29pm

Les Twentyman can join if he wants to. I'll be damned if Im going to fight as cannon fodder for the British or USA.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 5:51pm

Read the article before posting... there's no military fighting/training involved.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #15 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 6:30pm

Quote:
Youths who go on to a post-secondary education, an apprenticeship, a professional sports contract or skilled full-time work after high school would be exempt from joining the service.

Thank goodness. This idea has my support.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #16 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 8:16pm

Les Twentyman is a fatass piece of crap.
Practise what you preach or shut thu bugger up you moron Twentyman.

I've seen you you guzzling beers by the dozen at local footy matches Twentymn, you are no example to anything except how far lies can take you.
Give it up. You have never been an example.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 9:29am

And that has what to do with the concept?

Or did you just want to point out you've seen him before?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:54am

All this has highlighted one valid point. The numbers of chronically unemployed young people is a serious problem at the moment and is likely to get worse.

We need to be providing some kind of incentive for employing young people.

Much as I like technology, the move by the major supermarkets towards self-scanning of goods was a step in the wrong direction, because it deprived a great many young people of jobs and a source of independance.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:56am

neo-Luddite!

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #20 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:58am

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 19th, 2009 at 11:56am:
neo-Luddite!

Fair call, but I think that the move to self-scanning did have an impact that could have been considered better.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 12:08pm

If anything it's just an annoyance. Putting petrol in my car, I don't mind so much because it's a simple, straight forward task. But playing 'check-out chick' is just bothersome. Takes me twice as long to get out of there. Some tasks can fairly be lumped on the consumer, some are just too much.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 2:34pm

just answer the question, lying deceptive islamic abu.

i assume you are ok with people being publically murdered for making love ??

poo on the koran for it inciting violence

IP Logged

oznationalist

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 8:38am

The only problem is that people don’t want to fight in an army made of mixed races, I went to join the army in my youth, realizing the amount of mud races serving in our forces turn me off national service making the thought of guerilla style military training far more appealing. Only mongrel bastard vagabond nomad criminals and outlaws serve in forces like the French foriegn leigon and mixing the races of our forces degrades our integrity to the point where we are no better leaving our best with no interest in serving our nation.
I am pro national service but only if racial integrity is practiced.
Another downfall is international law can be blamed for causing deaths to many soldiers as they have to be so cautious not to kill civillians, if war aint BLITZKREIG then its a lengthy and costly mass murder of servicemen,

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print