Send Topic Print
An Aussie hero (Read 1056 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

An Aussie hero
Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:03pm

Quote:
A Sydney mountaineer has become the first Australian and 18th person worldwide to climb all 14 of the world's peaks above 8000 metres.

Andrew Lock, 48, cemented his place as one of the country's best mountaineers when he reached the peak of Tibet's Mount Shishapangma yesterday.

In a short post on his website, simply titled "Did it", Lock wrote: "Summitted the true summit of Shishapangma at 5.05pm, 2nd October, with Neil Ward.

"Very tough climb via a variation of the Inaki route on the north face.

"Caught in a storm on descent with an open bivouac at 7600 metres without equipment thrown in for good measure.

"Just into basecamp now, bit tired, more later."

Lock had previously attempted to scale Shishapangma, unsuccessfully.

Earlier this year, Chinese bureaucracy had held up the issuing of his climbing permit, and in 2007, poor weather forced him to abort a climb.

In 2003 and 2005 Lock climbed as high as the central summit at 8013 metres, but that was not considered the true summit, which is about 14 metres higher and more difficult to reach.

His travelling partner had been unable to continue.

Of his urge to climb all 14 mountains, Lock told the Herald last month: "I can't fully justify why I do it, but it is a driving need.

"Facing your own fears and pushing yourself to the absolute extremes of your physical and mental endurance is a revealing experience.

"And the fact is, I love it. Obviously there's the satisfaction of reaching a summit but what I really enjoy is that these 8000-ers demand total immersion in the environment."

He has also said he decided to climb all 14 8000m-plus peaks after discovering he had a "physiology that lets me climb at high altitudes".

"When I started out I just wanted to see if I could climb an 8000m peak," he said.

"I found at that I could ... and at some point I looked down and thought: 'Actually I've climbed 10 of these peaks, 14 is a realistic goal."'

Lock believed his achievements were particularly notable as he was Australian.

"As an Australian coming from a non-climbing community and background, [climbing the 14 peaks] seemed like an objective that was just in a different dimension."

Lock has previously said that should he succeed at Shishapangma, he planned to climb Mount Everest for the third time, but solo and without oxygen.

"It may be time to hang up my ice axes after Everest," he said in a statement.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/aussie-mountaineer-makes-history-20091005-giju.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: An Aussie hero
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 1:49pm

I never really got this, what's so heroic about climbing a mountain?

What exactly does it contribute to humanity?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 2:16pm

wassa madda, diddnt mohammad say whether it was ok or not ??

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:00pm

Let me rephrase that, even before becoming a Muslim, and therefore still having a valid opinion in your eyes, I didn't get the point to climbing mountains

and specifically how it makes one a national hero....

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:14pm

oh, my apologies abu, let me rephrase it, due to your inabiliy to criticise a muslim, your wanting to quash my freedom and impose a mindless regime dreamed up by a kiddy fiddler over aussie you do not have a valid opinion.

when you take the step of liberty and apostate then you will have a valid opinion.

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:34pm by Sprintcyclist »  

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 4:10pm

Quote:
when you take the step of liberty and apostate then you will have a valid opinion.

I would prefer to be tossed into fire.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 4:15pm

Not my idea of a good time.  Once you get there there's nowhere to go but back where you came from...  so then its days to get back and every step of the way is dangerous.

Even breathing is difficult.
cant see anything enjoyable in that either.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 4:32pm

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 9:21pm

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 4:10pm:
Quote:

I would prefer to be tossed into fire.

But, but... you will be, dear boy, you will be.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 9:23pm

abu_rashid wrote on Oct 5th, 2009 at 1:49pm:
I never really got this, what's so heroic about climbing a mountain?

What exactly does it contribute to humanity?

It is an example. It is a parable. It's about the triumph of the spirit. But, being a submissive, you wouldn't know anything about that.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 6:39am

I can see Abu and Grendel's point of view, from a pragmatic perspective, somebody climbing big mountains is little more than a self indulgent whim, but I also think it adds something to the general human condition, just knowing that great adventures can still be had, great obstacles overcome, and great personal goals met.

I think all of us know that a life lived without risk, is a life lived below it's potential.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 11:25am

if mohammad did not say it, muslims cannot comprehend it.

hence the islamic car, plane, rocket, waterskiing team.

fkwts

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 7:06pm

Here is an Aussie hero:

Quote:
AUSTRALIAN Elizabeth Blackburn has won the Nobel Prize for medicine, setting a landmark for the nation's scientists.
The Tasmanian-born molecular biologist's Nobel is the first for an Australian woman.
Professor Blackburn, 60, who now works in San Francisco, pioneered the study of telomeres, caps that protect chromosomes in cells, and is a discoverer of telomerase, an enzyme that does the protecting.
(Full story)

Now that contributes something to humanity. Climbing hills does not. Unless there's something actually at the top.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print