Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Worm disection purpose (Read 5880 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Worm disection purpose
Reply #45 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 10:09pm

Seer Travis Truman wrote on Sep 21st, 2009 at 10:00pm:
Totally incorrect. america, england and australia are the 3 most malevolent and insane societies of all time.

Now that its clear to me that you're a Yank, seer TT, how often have you been to Australia?
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2009 at 10:23pm by NorthOfNorth »  

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Seer Travis Truman

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:14pm

"Blutigeroo, that doesn't seem to be what travis is getting at at all. He would have us place our fellow man below an insect."

Although man IS below all other life forms, that is NOT the basis for the argument. Maybe you should actually read the OP.

Quote Seer TT: "You have to come up rith a single legitimate reason why it is in the general ciriculum. The onus of proof is on society, you know."

"Obviously the onus is not on me, or society, or we wouldn't be doing it."

A1. You cannot determine the burden of proof by the actions of a society. That makes no rational sense. Your suggestion that 'if society does something it must be right' is irrational and insane.

A2. I have already shown that the "disection" kills the worm, as is/imitates torture. It instructs the child that society encourages the view that other species are worthless.

A2.2 Even if there was legitimate reason for worm disection, the facts in (A2) remain. This is the main point : Your argument regarding legitimate education would not exclude My revalations regarding (A2). The two are not mutally eclusive, because there can be more than one objective to the excercise.

A3. There is no reason why worm disection is needed.

A4. You can learn it from the book. Since the worm disection is unimportant, a book should suffice.

A5. Fail (A4) and (A3), specimens that died from natural causes could be used. Birds, cats and so on regularly die, and thus why the need to kill the worms?

Conclusion A : The answers given to Me OP do not explain WHY it is necessary to kill the worms, and use live worms.

"here is one legitimate reason in the real world: to learn. The fact that some students do not learn much from one particular lesson does not detract from it's legitimacy."

B1. It has no legitimacy. You forget to consider the fact that a life is being taken, and torture/torture-like application used.

B2. You do not address what is being learned, you just presume society always tells the Truth. What is being learned is to consider non-human species of life with total disregard.

B3. You must show why worm disection is worthy and important acedemic learning.

"IF you want to change our society, merely insisting that other people must satisfy your insane standards is not going to cut it."

I dont have "standards". My OP is rational and sane. I am not trying to change society. I know that humans are too mentally ill to help themselves.

It is no more immature than your argument.
My argument is mature and rational. You just don't like the conclusion.

"You hint vaguely at alternatives, yet you baulk at the detail and the reality."

C1. I already gave alternatives. You just ignored them.
C2. Since you cannot see the Truth on My position, why give you alternatives to using live worms? You think it is OK to use them.

IP Logged

Seer Travis Truman

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:20pm

Quote:
Seer TT : "What is the point of disecting a worm? Do you use worms anatomy in real life? NO! What the book says is sufficient."

"But plenty of people do use worm biology in real life."

Name some uses, then.

Seer TT : The point of learning how to disect a worm is learning?

Yes Travis. Now you are getting it.

That is circular reasoning. You cannot say that it is important to learn something because it is important to learn it.
Try again.

Show Me a real-world need where you use worm-disection ability that could not have come from a book.

Sorry. I was assuming you understood the value of knowledge and science. I must keep reminding myself that you don't.

Illogical. Just because knowledge and science DO have value, does not mean that worm disections automatically have value. Show Me an example of the use of worm disection skill in real life.

Seer TT: To suggest that advanced teriary study would be prevented by failure to disect a worm is ludicrous.

But I wasn't suggesting it would be prevented travis

Yes you did :
Old Quote of you : "The point is to learn Travis. That is what school is for. Plus, students need exposure to the subjects they might go on to study at a tertiary level."

So, you are trying to suggest that disecting a worm is needed in later education.

Your argument inherantly and specifically HAS to and IS based on the need of worm disections. Else you admit there is no value in doing worm disections.

Our society would survive without learning, but it would be a diminished society.

Strawman. I never said ALL learning, nor learning about worms. I ONLY refered to using live worms or killing live worms for actual worm disections. Try to be honest with your arguments.

The scenarios I described would be real. Education must prepare students for the real world, not hide it from them.

Real world? What real-world use is there to be able to disect a living worm?

To suggest we must be able to draw a line from every class a student atttends to some event in their later life shows a complete lack of understanding of the mechanisms through which education benefits individuals and society.

Strawman. That was NOT My argument. you are trying to involve other classes and many students in general. You MUST however, show how there is a need to disect a worm over reading it in a book, or using naturally dead worms.

IP Logged

Seer Travis Truman

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:23pm

Quote:
Why was that again??? What a pathetic reply.

The reply is pathetic because the question is pathetic.

My questions all make perfect rational sense. You just cannot accept the ramifications of same, and think of sensible answers.

Now that is a pathetic response. You are trying to tell a fisherman what fishermen do and why, without being able to back it up with anything more than your prejudice.

You are pathetic. Fishermen have NOTHING to do with the OP. I will therefore not go off onto a tangent and argue something that is nothing to do with the OP. However, My revalations about fishing are 100% accurate, and I may post a fishing-sport Truth thread in future.

You cannot disprove what I said. I know what fishermen DO, inferior. I don't have to be a fisherman Myself. I cano show why a fisherman does what he does. You cannot say otherwise, because you admit you cannot know why a fisherman does what he does. I am not even refering to individual fishermen, anyway.

No, you have not shown a single legitimate reason why at all.

Yes I have. You are just unable to appreciate the reasons. Declaring the reasons illigitimate does not make them so, any more than declaring that fishermen do something for a particular reason makes you right.

No, you have not. I found logical flaws in your reasons. They are moot. See (A) section for a better explanation.

It is not crucial. It is only a very small part of our education, which is why most students only do it once. Surely if it was crucial they would do it more than once?

Every argument you make presumes society is automatically right. What bias. Since it is not crucial, why is it neccesary to do it to a live worm? Or kill a worm to do it? Think, man.

[Inferior material cut down]

Quote Seer TT:
The whole point is that society has no justification to do those things, inferior. I never suggested to society what it should do. Do you think I give the orders to societal leaders?

Yet you appeared to suggest that those other actions are justified. This is a pretty murky 'truth' you are pushing. Is it a 'make it up as you go along' type of truth?

I showed how it is unjustified, so other actions are nothing to do with it. What other actions? You dont make sense.

Quote Seer TT: "You cannot legitimately claim what anyone else felt or experianced during their worm disection. "

But you just did that for fishermen. You project wierd motives onto other people all the time, apparently because you can'

These are matters of societal policy. I know why humans do the things they do in general, because I am a Superior Seer. Your reply is so basic and undetailed I cannot determine what it is supposed to mean.

IP Logged

Seer Travis Truman

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:25pm

Seer TT : "That said, no INDIVIDUAL human should ever go out of his way not to un-intentionally kill an insect, he should just not intentionally murder an animal/insect unless there is a distant personal need.

This is the sort of contradiction that pulls you argument apart travis. How can someone deliberately do something accidentally?

They cannot do both as individuals at the same time. But I NEVER said that, you fool. Where do you get this delusion from?

You could walk down the street. Intention, to get from A to B. You accidently step on a snail. You are not expected to go to ridiculous lengths next time you walk down the street. However, to cross the street and go out of your way to step on a snail is different altogether. Got that now?

Seer TT : To suggest that someone can avoid what is accidental is stupid.

But you just suggested it, not me. I was just trying to figure out your argument, but the more you try to explain it, the less sense it makes.

How do I suggest it? You just have no sense. You just process the words like a computer.

You suggested it, and I replied. You did so in your stupid "get on a bus and the bus hits an insect" argument. That is what I refer to in that quote. You clip the previous material for some reason.

If you reply again, THINK FIRST.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #50 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:57pm

Seer Travis Truman wrote on Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:25pm:
[color=#ff0000]They cannot do both as individuals at the same time. But I NEVER said that, you fool. Where do you get this delusion from?

You could walk down the street. Intention, to get from A to B. You accidently step on a snail. You are not expected to go to ridiculous lengths next time you walk down the street. However, to cross the street and go out of your way to step on a snail is different altogether. Got that now?

I know you like to imagine yourself to be a superior thinker (as most schizophrenics and psychopaths do) but maybe you should read something of the Buddhist concept of mindfulness, which states that "accidentally" stepping on a snail is not necessarily a blameless act or free of karma, but rather an instance of a lack of mindfulness... Meaning that, had you been mindful of where you were walking, you may have avoided stepping on the snail.

IP Logged

Seer Travis Truman

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 10:06am

No one can dispute the OP's Truths. I have won.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 10:59am

Seer Travis Truman wrote on Sep 30th, 2009 at 10:06am:
No one can dispute the OP's Truths. I have won.

Maybe because they're not 'truths'... Just erratic opinions feverishly slapped up during a series of psychotic episodes.

But anyway, as you don't appear to be aware of the concept of mindfulness and its relationship to moral culpability your raving assertions lack the depth to be dignified as 'truth'.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #53 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 9:40am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:57pm:
I know you like to imagine yourself to be a superior thinker (as most schizophrenics and psychopaths do) but maybe you should read something of the Buddhist concept of mindfulness, which states that "accidentally" stepping on a snail is not necessarily a blameless act or free of karma, but rather an instance of a lack of mindfulness... Meaning that, had you been mindful of where you were walking, you may have avoided stepping on the snail.

Doesn't some Buddhist teaching require an apology to every living thing that was harmed in a lifetime before entering a state of nibbana? I often wonder how far down the chain this applies. What about those poor pathogens that you kill when you brush your teeth, or take a course of antibiotics?

I agree with your comments on Mr looney toons, but I'm just being pedantic, and more than a bit silly in order not to be off-topic with the subject matter under discussion.  Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2009 at 9:47am by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 10:56am

muso wrote on Oct 1st, 2009 at 9:40am:
Doesn't some Buddhist teaching require an apology to every living thing that was harmed in a lifetime before entering a state of nibbana? I often wonder how far down the chain this applies. What about those poor pathogens that you kill when you brush your teeth, or take a course of antibiotics?

I agree with your comments on Mr looney toons, but I'm just being pedantic, and more than a bit silly in order not to be off-topic with the subject matter under discussion.  Grin

Yes, according to Buddhist dogma you must be free of karma to achieve Nirvana... I guess we can't be too harsh on an ancient belief system with no knowledge of Micro-organisms, but having said that, modern Buddhism doesn't seem to absolve anyone from the burden of karma for having killed any life form (although apparently, being a Tibetan Buddhist which accepts the necessity of eating meat, the Dalai Lama is partial to a bacon sandwich... go figure Grin).

A woman I work with and a practising Buddhist told me she angsted for a long time about using pesticides to kill an aphid infestation that was screwing up her roses. She told me she meditated for weeks on the morality of spraying her garden and decided that in Buddhist terms it could not be justified... But she sprayed anyway. Her desire to experience the beauty of her roses, she told me, was greater than her duty to mindfully preserve life, thus burdening herself with karma in accordance with Buddhism's second noble truth.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print