Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
British culture and modern wealth (Read 8800 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: British culture and modern wealth
Reply #45 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 6:27pm

Yadda wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 6:05pm:

ISLAM appeals to a certain kind of human being abu.

The uninformed, the ignorant, the ruthless, the greedy.

To me, looking at this world, it is as if, this is God's way of dividing the people of the world, into two separate camps.

Those who love Israel, and what it represents - spiritually.

And those who love ISLAM, and what it represents.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #46 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:06pm

Yadda,

Quote:
Problem is, man is so corruptible.

He is... but that doesn't mean he is not in need of solutions for how to manage his affairs.

Quote:
.....ISLAM is very popular among prison inmates [among criminals].

I know a lot of Islamic converts here in Australia, and even others from overseas, and even some entire organisations based around converts, yet never once have I met one single convert that was a prison inmate (that he's divulged anyway), and the vast majority of them don't appear to me to be the kind of people who'd find themselves in gaol. Add to this the fact that the majority of converts are women, and your "theory" starts falling apart. If it makes you feel better about the dire state of your religion and the many leaving it, then feel free.

Now when it comes to "born again Christians", I don't think I've ever met a single one who was not an ex-druggie or ex-alcoholic etc. So I wouldn't go throwing stones around in that little glass house of yours.

Since you are the apostle of falsehood, it doesn't surprise me you'd delude yourself with these kinds of fabrications.

Quote:
And in the third world, ISLAM is very 'popular' in places,
.....where literacy is very low, or
.....where regimes are very corrupt, and
.....where regimes are very brutal.

Although that might be the state of places like Africa today, the fact is that when they became Muslim, and for the first 1000 years of being Muslim literacy wasn't low, they weren't starving, the regimes were just and fair. So again, this half of your "theory" is shot also.

In fact most of Africa was very prosperous and enlightened until the Europeans arrived. And like every land they touched, they drained it of all it's life and turned it into a hellhole.

Besides... aren't most of the world's Christians living in squalour in Latin America and Africa anyway?? Again, don't throw those stones around in your glass house. And Latin America NEVER saw prosperity or advanced civilisation, so you don't even have that to cling onto.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:31am by abu_rashid »  
abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:50pm

Quote:
A culture that is able to become dominant has confidence.

Is that supposed to be convincing? Did they have confidence because they became dominant, or did they become dominant because they had confidence?

Quote:
Ask yourself, what makes a society confident?

Being rich and powerful helps, but this is just goin in circles, isn't it? On the other hand, if you are surrounded in all directions by warring states, you would get a bit nervous.

Quote:
Diamond, a materialist determinist, has nothing to say on a people's sense of itself.

Quite the opposite actually. He wrote an entire book addressing this issue. You really should get your facts straight before making these silly claims.

Quote:
Confidence, spirit if you like, eludes materialist determinists.

Are you trying to say that your argument really does boil down to magic?

Quote:
I mean confidence in its values, ability, tenacity, art, science - all the stuff that makes up its sense and understanding of itself.

So Brittannia ruled the world because of some pretty pictures?

Quote:
Diamond's criteria may be useful and real and necessary but they are not sufficient.

That sounds like a more reasonable criticism. Now, about your magical benefits of culture, could you give a more realistic example? Perhaps one that involves a bit of cause and effect? Your debate stratgey appears to be to keep your argument too nebulous to pin down.

Abu:

Quote:
No actually you are. Since you're the one making the claim religious dictatorship is what's responible for Islamic decline.

No, that is not my argument. That is a strawman. My argument was that the long period of religious dictatorship was responsible for the initial inability to deal with the new situation. The religious beliefs were the long term barrier. You yourself for example still favour religious dictatorship over democracy, religious oppression over personal freedom, religious bias over justice, yet still have the nerve to call other Muslims naive. All this, despite experiencing the benefits of democracy, justice and religious freedom. Is it any wonder that unless they are sitting on a massive oil well, societies dominated by Muslims are still living in squalor, slaughetering fellow co-religionists in the name of religion, and blaming it all on whatever external power happens to take advantage of their naivete, or whatever foreign power the local witchdoctor points his bone at?

Quote:
I'm merely pointing out the history doesn't support that *at all*, in fact it indicates otherwise.

But you haven't managed to do that. You have merely made the same argument made by every religious extremist who sees the world only through their doctrine. You credit success with religious servitude and blame failure on a drift from the religion, without any regard for evidence or logic. You see religious decline because you see social decline, or at least a failure to advance at the same rate as neighbouring societies. You see religious servitude because you see military success. It's as if the only people you consider to be historians are the lunatics who see the end of days in every earthquake and blame it on the youth of today, while yearning for the strong armed rule of whatever thug they looked up to as a youth. You are not making a valid argument, just regurgitating doctrine. It only makes sense to the converted, to people who need to believe it.

Quote:
But the vast majority do not even claim to be Islamic.

The vast majority? What happened to Islam being the fastest growing religion in the world?

Quote:
I propose a return to Islamic law, not Islamic dictatorship.

They are the same thing Abu. Just because you support a particular dictatorship does not mean it is not a dictatorship. All dictatorships have some supporters. They all need someone to do their dirty work. Even dictators must play politics.

Quote:
Besides, as I stated, none of the Islamic world's present leaders are 'Islamic dictators'

Yet you still prefer them to a democracy. You can't pretend that that has nothing to do with the bias that is at the core of Islam. A bias you finally admitted to here a while back. You would prefer these ruthless dictators over finally giving the poor oppressed people a say in their own government.

Quote:
As we abandoned our religion we declined, as you abandoned yours, you progressed. Says a lot about our respective religions, doesn't it?

No, it just reflects the bias with which you view history.

Quote:
True.. not anymore anyway, since it failed so miserably at it. Christianity simply doesn't have the solutions to mankinds problems.

No holy book has the solutions to the minutia of running a state. That Islam attempts this was it's greatest strength, but is now it's greatest weakness. What was progressive to a bunch of savage warring desert tribes is hardly progressive today. The squalor of modern muslims reflects this. It was not a drift from Islam that caused the longest societal decline ever seen in history, but the attempt to hold onto it as the world moved forward.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #48 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:35pm

freediver wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:50pm:
Quote:
True.. not anymore anyway, since it failed so miserably at it. Christianity simply doesn't have the solutions to mankinds problems.

No holy book has the solutions to the minutia of running a state. That Islam attempts this was it's greatest strength, but is now it's greatest weakness. What was progressive to a bunch of savage warring desert tribes is hardly progressive today. The squalor of modern muslims reflects this. It was not a drift from Islam that caused the longest societal decline ever seen in history, but the attempt to hold onto it as the world moved forward.

And what the hell motivated that clinging to a clearly disastrous thing if not the culture of the people who clinged to it! WHat the hell is Islam if not a set of ideas congealed into a set of cultures growing put of it, being motivated by it, putting their confidence into it?  Demonstrably, as you yourself point out, there is no material benefit in clinging to it, there has't been for centuries. Yet cling to it they still do.

You could not make your argument if you were not speaking from outside Islam, but still out of a culture. Your every non-mathematical utterance and thought is culture-bound - you cannot but speak out of your culture.

I can't see how you can find my point about  "values, ability, tenacity, art, science - all the stuff that makes up its sense and understanding of itself" to mean "pretty pictures". Even on the level of rhetoric this is pretty stupid.

Culture, the idea you introduced, is not as formulaic as physical science. If you are looking for positivist formulations when discussing it then you are a complete pillock. If you are pretending or proposing that whatever cannot be formulated scientifically is not real and therefore it is  'magic', then you are an old-fashioned, stuck-in-the-past dusty old pillock. To imply that things are either positive and formulaic (scientistic) or nebulous is too stupid for words.

So I really hope that I am somehow missing a crucial bit of what you are trying to get at.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #49 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 11:05pm

Quote:
That is a strawman.... ...You yourself for example still favour religious dictatorship over democracy

The only strawman here is your claim above. Can you quote me stating I'm in favour of "religious dictatorship"?

Do you actually believe democracy merely means electing a leader? If so, then I am not opposed to democracy (although I say I am, because in my opinion democracy is a lot more complicated than just electing a leader).

Quote:
The vast majority? What happened to Islam being the fastest growing religion in the world?

Read back over my statements again. I think it's quite clear II was talking about rulers of Muslim countries, who amount to no more than about 50 individuals.

Quote:
You would prefer these ruthless dictators over...

This is just blatant lying on your part FD. I would not choose the Arab dictators over anything. They are some of the worst rulers on the face of this earth, and the fact I still live in a Western country indicates quite clearly that I reject them and consider them pretty much the worst leaders in existence.

Quote:
That Islam attempts this was it's greatest strength, but is now it's greatest weakness

FD you seem to be blaming the current situation in the Muslim world on people attempting to implement Islam, yet the fact is, that since the decline and eventual abolition of tthe Ottoman Caliphate, not a single country has even claimed to be returning to implementing the Islamic Caliphate. For a brief period of 1 year, in 1925, Sharif Hussein did claim this in the Arabian peninsula, but was immediately silenced by the British and overthrown in favour of the Saudi clan.

So when the Caliphate is re-implemented, then you'd be in a position to claim it's the greatest weakness... until then, you're just speaking nonsense.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 12:40am

freediver wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:50pm:
Quote:
A culture that is able to become dominant has confidence.

Is that supposed to be convincing? Did they have confidence because they became dominant, or did they become dominant because they had confidence?

Confidence does not cause dominance in itself. It is a necessary but not a sufficient thing. There is nothing circular or interchangable here.

Quote:
Being rich and powerful helps, but this is just goin in circles, isn't it? On the other hand, if you are surrounded in all directions by warring states, you would get a bit nervous.

No, it is not going in circles - see above. You need more wealth and power to be confident.
Being surrounded by warring states may make make the timid nervous but the confident will be simply be prudent. See the ancient Greek city states.  They squabbled constantly but were united against their barbarian enemy, the Persians. And the Greeks are still far more dominant culturally (oh, magic) to this day then their suppsedly richer and more powerful Persian adversary

Renaissance Italy is another example of constant war among confident cities, producing a lasting legacy even when their material wealth and power is long gone.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 8:52am

Soren wrote on Sep 6th, 2009 at 9:16pm:
Confidence.

A culture that is able to become dominant has confidence. Ask yourself, what makes a society confident? Confident not just to tackle the next town or province, but the next continent. Diamond, a materialist determinist, has nothing to say on a people's sense of itself. Confidence, spirit if you like, eludes materialist determinists.

There are other reasons that make a culture dominant other than just confidence, if your definition of confidence includes an unaffected sense of self. Dominance can be the result of fear of invasion, which led the British to build a navy that was at all times larger than that of two of its greatest enemies combined. The US has extended the same strategy to build a Navy that is larger than the rest of the world’s entire navy combined and yet Americans often display a collective hysterical sense of insecurity. In both cases, the motivating factor was a sense of siege.

Other motivating factors would include contempt and arrogance driven by a questionable sense of superiority, as is often evident in German culture.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #52 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:07pm

OK Soren, I'll do the first one for you.

Perhaps the most influential aspect of Bristish culture on history was the willingness of the Britons to give up without a fight. When it comes to waiving the white flag, no-one else comes close. What other empire in history, at the hieght of it's power, so readily gave up it's territories as soon as the locals started looking at them the wrong way? Perhaps America, if you call it an empire, comes close, in that it wants to get rid of Afghanistan ASAP. Anyway, back on topic, I think a quote from the British deputy in India would be helpful:

OK chaps, no need to be ungentlemanly. It's been a great holdiay here, but I really think it's time I got back home to my mother. I miss her, and the wonderful English culture, with blurred pictures of gardens, and greasy fish and chips for supper, and no sun, whinging locals, baked beans on toast for breakfast with a shrivelled sausage, the cold, wet, endless winter, the snobbery. So I say toodle pip, and you absolutely must come back to England for a visit some time, you'd love it there. I hope you will keep selling us your tea, and as a parting gesture of goodwill, here's a free savings account.

It may have been a bit hard for their ego to swallow, but even today, centuries after England was returned to a bit player in international politics, London still reaps massive fortunes just for being a historical centre of banking and trade. Where other empires overreached, crashed, and were destroyed by their enemies leaving bitterness and poverty, England milked it's reign for all it was worth.

Many of the first modern economists were from Britain and northern Europe, and they were some of the first to seriously push the idea that trade alone was a path to wealth, rather than a short term means of aquiring sufficient resources to launch a 'take all' military conquest. It is a great credit to the British that they adopted this model, rather than the traditional long term opppression that was the hallmark of the great historical empires. Even in the lead up to the first world war, many European countries were attempting to build a tradional style empire across Africa, and the tensions that arose contributed to WWI. Yet Britain had centuries earlier adopted a philosophy that maintaining good will and trade on an equal basis, or even an inferior basis, is better than trade with submissive nations at the cost of a big, active militray. This contrast is perhaps most stark in comparison with the Islamic empire. The remnants today - middle eastern Muslims, are still fighting battles they lost five hundred years ago. They are still losing battles they have been losing for centuries. Yet England gave up after 10 minutes, and has been reaping the benefits ever since. It had no problem with being exposed as the skinny, pasty white kid who could only pretend to be a bully. A bit like that kid from the Harry Potter movies.

Perhaps what appears to be culture has it's origins in geography. I would image that to survive in the middle east, with so many powerful nations and empires in all directions, you would have to be the sort of tribe that other tribes know to leave in peace because you will be an absolute pain in the arse for centuries if you are crossed. In contrast, England was at the end of the east-west fertile band over Asia, Europe and North Africa, and not a particularly pleasant place to conquer. The weather and remoteness was a good substitute for the stubbornness of the people of the middle east.

An interesting comparison can also be made with Japan. It is simlar in being an Island of suitable size to be a major power, just offshore from the right landmass, at the other end. It only lacks the divided mainland - China was a far more formiddable foe that the historical kingdoms of Europe and totally dominated the region. However, they did rise to almost take over the world, then was beaten back. Then rose again a short time later economically, then shrunk back, but only slightly.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:36pm

Divide and rule, dear boy, divide and rule. The British Imperial mantra.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:38pm

freediver wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:07pm:
OK Soren, I'll do the first one for you.

Perhaps the most influential aspect of Bristish culture on history was the willingness of the Britons to give up without a fight. When it comes to waiving the white flag, no-one else comes close. What other empire in history, at the hieght of it's power, so readily gave up it's territories as soon as the locals started looking at them the wrong way? Perhaps America, if you call it an empire, comes close, in that it wants to get rid of Afghanistan ASAP. Anyway, back on topic, I think a quote from the British deputy in India would be helpful:

OK chaps, no need to be ungentlemanly. It's been a great holdiay here, but I really think it's time I got back home to my mother. I miss her, and the wonderful English culture, with blurred pictures of gardens, and greasy fish and chips for supper, and no sun, whinging locals, baked beans on toast for breakfast with a shrivelled sausage, the cold, wet, endless winter, the snobbery. So I say toodle pip, and you absolutely must come back to England for a visit some time, you'd love it there. I hope you will keep selling us your tea, and as a parting gesture of goodwill, here's a free savings account.

It may have been a bit hard for their ego to swallow, but even today, centuries after England was returned to a bit player in international politics, London still reaps massive fortunes just for being a historical centre of banking and trade. Where other empires overreached, crashed, and were destroyed by their enemies leaving bitterness and poverty, England milked it's reign for all it was worth.

Many of the first modern economists were from Britain and northern Europe, and they were some of the first to seriously push the idea that trade alone was a path to wealth, rather than a short term means of aquiring sufficient resources to launch a 'take all' military conquest. It is a great credit to the British that they adopted this model, rather than the traditional long term opppression that was the hallmark of the great historical empires. Even in the lead up to the first world war, many European countries were attempting to build a tradional style empire across Africa, and the tensions that arose contributed to WWI. Yet Britain had centuries earlier adopted a philosophy that maintaining good will and trade on an equal basis, or even an inferior basis, is better than trade with submissive nations at the cost of a big, active militray. This contrast is perhaps most stark in comparison with the Islamic empire. The remnants today - middle eastern Muslims, are still fighting battles they lost five hundred years ago. They are still losing battles they have been losing for centuries. Yet England gave up after 10 minutes, and has been reaping the benefits ever since. It had no problem with being exposed as the skinny, pasty white kid who could only pretend to be a bully. A bit like that kid from the Harry Potter movies.

Perhaps what appears to be culture has it's origins in geography. I would image that to survive in the middle east, with so many powerful nations and empires in all directions, you would have to be the sort of tribe that other tribes know to leave in peace because you will be an absolute pain in the arse for centuries if you are crossed. In contrast, England was at the end of the east-west fertile band over Asia, Europe and North Africa, and not a particularly pleasant place to conquer. The weather and remoteness was a good substitute for the stubbornness of the people of the middle east.

An interesting comparison can also be made with Japan. It is simlar in being an Island of suitable size to be a major power, just offshore from the right landmass, at the other end. It only lacks the divided mainland - China was a far more formiddable foe that the historical kingdoms of Europe and totally dominated the region. However, they did rise to almost take over the world, then was beaten back. Then rose again a short time later economically, then shrunk back, but only slightly.

Whoa - " a great credit to the British "?!?!. You mean to the British geography? Weather? Germs? Guns? Steel? No.

You post is a demontration of the centrality of culture.

I really am at a loss - what are you trying to say, other than you found Diamond's book interesting.

Statements like "Perhaps the most influential aspect of Bristish culture on history was the willingness of the Britons to give up without a fight. When it comes to waiving the white flag, no-one else comes close" are just plain nutty.
Willingness to give up without a fight? Every fight? Of course not. They did not give up when they were in the right. Ever. 1939-45? Any bells?
On the other hand, not wishing to dominate against people's expressed wishes is not the same. To equate them is the nuttiness.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #55 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 8:32am

Soren wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:38pm:

Statements like "Perhaps the most influential aspect of Bristish culture on history was the willingness of the Britons to give up without a fight. When it comes to waiving the white flag, no-one else comes close" are just plain nutty.
Willingness to give up without a fight? Every fight? Of course not. They did not give up when they were in the right. Ever. 1939-45? Any bells?

On the other hand, not wishing to dominate against people's expressed wishes is not the same. To equate them is the nuttiness.

soren,

The example that came to mind for me, was the The Falklands war, 1982.

The Falklands are a few, small, rocky islands in the south Atlantic.

They had no strategic, or monetary, or resource value to the UK, but the UK government almost immediately made the decision that it would militarily repel Argentina's invasion of the Falklands, if an Argentinian retreat could not be secured by negotiations.

But perhaps the reason the UK government 'pursued' this war, was that it was 'motivated' more for UK domestic political reasons, than any real grievance against the Argentinian invasion per say, or because it was 'the right thing to do' ?

???

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #56 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:21am

FD,

Quote:
the willingness of the Britons to give up without a fight. When it comes to waiving the white flag, no-one else comes close. What other empire in history, at the hieght of it's power, so readily gave up it's territories as soon as the locals started looking at them the wrong way?

Are we living in the same plane of existence???

For almost 100 years the Indians rebelled, revolted and did everything they could to try and rid themselves of the British.

During that 100 years the British also tried, unsuccessfully, to annex their Indian realm into neighbouring Afghanistan. They didn't give up without a fight, or 3 wars to be exact.

Likewise it took them about 50 years to realise their presence in Egypt was really not wanted (ie. their entire occupation). The first mass demonstrations against their presence begun in the 1880's and continued right up until they withdrew every single last soldier in the 1950's.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #57 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:52am

one of the few tomes I agree with abu !!!!!!!
the english took india for most of its wealth, it used to be very wealthy.

historically, to be taken over by england or USA is a HUGE advantage.
Every country that has had a war over it and the west won has prospered greatly. eg japan, germany
Very bad news if the west loses, look at north korea.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:59am by Sprintcyclist »  

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #58 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:36pm

Quote:
historically, to be taken over by england or USA is a HUGE advantage.
Every country that has had a war over it and the west won has prospered greatly. eg japan, germany

Sprint, your two supposed examples don't add up to "Every country", and neither of them was conquered by Britain. Besides Germany and Japan were huge powerhouses prior to their wars, about all we could say is the U.S permitted them to keep being powerhouses (although they severely limited their military capabilities to ensure they never became a military threat as a result of their economic power).

As for establishing that British or U.S invasion and domination of a country is an agent that causes it to become prosperous, this is nothing but a deluded self-aggrandising fantasy on your part. Those countries were hugely prosperous already.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:42pm

germany was bust before/during hitlers rise. remember their hyperinflation ?
money was carried around in wheelbarrows.
like many people he blamed the jews for it all.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print