Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cal's Overseas Adventure (Read 4626 times)
Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Cal's Overseas Adventure
Aug 19th, 2009 at 11:59pm

Well, arrived in Hong Kong for a few days, weather was very very hot. Hung out with some ex pat friends, chilled a bit.

Hong Kong is such a well run city. you have to hand it to the chinese, very civilised people in terms of non-aggressive and ability to play well with others in confined spaces.

Then onto London, where i am at the moment.

London is quite deserted, most of the town has gone off to holidays. Beautiful weather though, 25 degrees every day. You could almost forget it was London.

Overall, rent seems cheaper here than Sydney! If you were earning pounds, rent is well manageable. Sad to say it, but Londoners are friendlier than Sydney people! Who'd have thunk it. When you go out to a bar, people actually chat to you and are friendly. Weird.  The women are a lot friendlier over here, and youngish girls seem to have less of a problem with being with older blokes. You see a lot of balding banker types with youngish hotties.

I neeed to remind myself though, that the weather in London can be awful. Being here in Winter is a different thing altogether. I could get quite used to this lifestyle though.

More updates to come. I'll probably add some pics when I get home.

Before you get excited helian and abu, none of them pics will be of me.

Cheerio, toodle pip and all that!

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Cal's Overseas Adventure
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:27am

thanks for the update calanen.
Sounds like it is a great trip, well done.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 9:27am

Calanen wrote on Aug 19th, 2009 at 11:59pm:
More updates to come. I'll probably add some pics when I get home.

Before you get excited helian and abu, none of them pics will be of me.

Cheerio, toodle pip and all that!

Just a snap of your 'travelling companion' will be good enough for a laugh.  Grin

toodle pip? Are you trapped in a 'Carry On...' movie?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Mercedes With Square Wheels
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 3:15pm

I'll be in Hong Kong next week as well.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 3:21pm

Just remember you're in Islamic territory now so tread cautiously.

And don't go swimming without your burqini

And try not to get beat up too often for being an annoying Aussie wanker.

That's if you are actually out of the country... most clowns who brag about overseas trips on internet forums (like those who brag about their hotshot jobs) generally haven't even walked past their letter box today.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Mercedes With Square Wheels
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 3:26pm

Islamists need to remember that they are in Anglo-Saxon territory and are only allowed to disseminate their diarrhea at the good graces of their Anglo-Saxon hosts.

And, rent cheaper in London than in Sydney? Come on now, that is not true. Maybe prices descended with the bursting of the real estate bubble, but I still find that hard to believe.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:48pm

Thanks for the update Cal. Hope you are having fun. Pics would be great.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 12:04pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 3:21pm:
And try not to get beat up too often for being an annoying Aussie wanker.

That's if you are actually out of the country... most clowns who brag about overseas trips on internet forums (like those who brag about their hotshot jobs) generally haven't even walked past their letter box today.

So telling people about an overseas holiday is 'bragging' now. Gee you are a sad negative person. Everything has to be gloomy and serious and jihad against the whole world. Pitiful.

Don't tend to get beaten up very often, or, indeed ever.

On to Jamaica now, visiting friends again. Its a dangerous, dangerous place. If not for my friends here, I would not come. The weather is great and its a tropical paradise, but its full of wannabee gangsters modelled on the American LA gangs, carrying AKs and shooting up the place. Great pity, its a lot like many african countries that are just one big gunfight.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 12:05pm

freediver wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:48pm:
Thanks for the update Cal. Hope you are having fun. Pics would be great.

Probably have to wait until I get back, or maybe when Im in the US. All the pics are on my phone, and dont have the 'facilities' to be uploading and so on. But pics there are.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:43am

More to the point about Jamaica being dangerous, today in Kingston four police officers have been killed assasination style. Gunmen on motorbikes are shooting police officers on the beat, and the army has been called out to man checkpoints. A curfew has been imposed in certain suburbs, nobody moving around after 5pm enforced by the military.

I took a video on my cellphone of the loud and hairraising journey in a Jamaican taxi, which I will upload to youtube or liveleak when I get back. Along the way though, some locals noticed me filming and took umbrage to this, assailing the fortress like hotel demanding 'payment' for being filmed. 'Tourist must pay for film man!' they shouted through the heavily fortified gate. The guards told them to go or they'd get the cops, and they scattered.

Everyone sees a white man as the saviour, the man with the money, the man with opportunity, the man with contacts. I even had a youngish girl in a shopping centre ask me where the best restaurant to get 'beef patties' was nearby. I said 'There is a store about 100 yards up the road who has beef patties, and they say they are good, but I don't know.' She said thanks, and I said 'Why did you ask me though?' she said 'Because you be a white man, and the white man have all de answers.'

If only.

But the biggest problem here are the wannabee gangsters. There is also a lot of people who are very jaded and angry at their lot in life. Conversely, there are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They are generally more friendly once the realise that I am neither American nor British.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 8:59pm

Calanen wrote on Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:43am:
I even had a youngish girl in a shopping centre ask me where the best restaurant to get 'beef patties' was nearby. I said 'There is a store about 100 yards up the road who has beef patties, and they say they are good, but I don't know.' She said thanks, and I said 'Why did you ask me though?' she said 'Because you be a white man, and the white man have all de answers.'

Was her joke completely lost on you?  Grin

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 6:11pm

Spent a fantastic time in San Diego. Very warm weather, round 30 degrees. People are very friendly here. No crime to speak of, at all.

Saw a number of bands, including Public Enemy at Street Scene, which is an outdoor fair. No aggression or problems at the street fair, despite alcohol and large numbers of young people.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 7:58am

Arrived back in town on 1 September 2009, after a very nice trip away. I may upload some photos for you to look at, and for helian to download and add to his dossier on me.

NB - they will be scrubbed of all identifying data, so don't waste your time. There will also be none of me personally.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:10am

Nice to see you back Calanen and glad you had a good time. Put some photos up and if Helian starts tormenting you - we'll stick up for you.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:19am

well done calenen. nice to have you back in aussie

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print