Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
I'm an American looking to move to Australia (Read 5495 times)
Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

I'm an American looking to move to Australia
Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:06am

I have a couple reasons for hesitation however. The first being that Australia's top tax bracket is 45%. Now I may never get in that 45% bracket but high taxes are confiscatory to the economy and when you cut taxes govt. revenue actually goes up because it is a domino effect of growth in the economy. The labour party apparently screwed the country over when they didn't reduce the top tax bracket to 42% like they said they would. The way to growth is low taxes and limited government. But even lower taxes can supply bigger government due to the revenue that is produced. The other reason I am hesitant to move there is your socialized medicine. You have an overflow of people in your hospitals and you have state run hospitals. Yikes that is terrible.  Please respond, thanks

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: I'm an American looking to move to Australia
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:15am

Who would want to live under the yoke of the current US health care system? Weird, given the religiosity of the US, that they would deny the availability and affordability of health care to all. An example of the hypocrisy of American Christianity.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:25am

It's not a Christianity issue it is a economics and quality of life issue. Whenever the govt. gets involved in anything it ruins it. In countries with socialized medicine you have long waiting lines for surgeries and you have long ER waiting lines some cancer treatments never happen why would I want that. I'm not a christian that has nothing to do with it. I want a free market health care system that thrives on competition and innovation. We have government involvement and mandates that makes prices go up now. I want to be able to pick and control who my doctor is and don't want approval from the government. What is hypocritical about that? We have the highest survival rate of people with cancer and heart disease. If you work here you have great health care. The people that don't have health insurance are the people who don't work and even they get emergency room medical treatment free.  The govt. cant mandate prices that ends up leading to shortage of supplies and problems that occur when govt. gets in involved in the market.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:35am

A just medical system? Wonder why so many Americans travel to Canada and Mexico for life saving medications.

I guess if you're turned away from hospitals and denied health care because you can't afford the outrageous cost of medical insurance, you're not going to have any effect on disease survival rates because you'll never be diagnosed.

But I'd bet the chances of survival are far greater for those who have access to affordable medication (like Americans who have to leave their country to survive) compared to those who have to rely on two aspirins and a cup of cocoa.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:39am

Nobody leaves here to get treatment in other countries!! Are you kidding me? Again the high costs of medical care are the result of govt. regulations and mandates. It is laughable how uninformed you are!! LOL you think people here leave to go to Mexico and Canada? hahaahahahahahaha

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:40am

the average canadian waits 100 days for Chemo therapy!! How long would an american citizen have to wait? Where do you get your info from? Are you kidding me?

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:46am

I don't mean to be rude I am just shocked that someone would think that americans leave this country for medical care

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:57am

Americancitizen87 wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:46am:
I don't mean to be rude I am just shocked that someone would think that americans leave this country for medical care

Cheap prescription drugs creating new brand of US tourist in Canada, Mexico

Quote:
By the busload, thousands of American seniors are crossing over into Canada and Mexico to stock up on the one valuable commodity they can't seem to find at home - affordable prescription drugs.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 2:05am

Drugs are priced high because of the strict regulations of the FDA which limits what can be sold. They have drugs in the UK that are legal that aren't legal here. That was my point earlier. But I must tell you the Mexicans and Canadians that come here for medical care is 10000x greater than people that leave here. The illegal Mexicans are overrunning our hospitals and making them go out of business because the hospitals can't turn them away. Canadians come here if they can afford out of pocket expenses for surgeries so they don't have to wait as long. Google illegal aliens in american hospitals see what comes up

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 2:25am

Under the Australian Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme...

Quote:
The cost of a medication is negotiated between the Commonwealth Government, through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Pricing Authority (PBPA), and the supplier of the drug. This agreed price is then the basis of the dispensed price of the medication which is negotiated between the Commonwealth Government and the Pharmacy Guild of Australia under the Community Pharmacy Agreement. The dispensed price includes the wholesaler's markup, pharmacist's markup, and a dispensing fee. Pharmacies purchase PBS-listed drugs from the wholesaler or supplier, and claim the difference between the dispensed price and the patient co-payment contribution from Medicare Australia.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 3:11am

Whenever you put price caps on drugs it limits the growth of the drug industry because pharm companies have to make what they invest and their only going to invest what they know their going to make

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 3:37am

Is there a need for Physical Education teachers in Australia?

IP Logged

skippy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 8:03am

I'd suggest you don't come here Americancitizen, if you are already whining about your perceived opinion on Australia its best you don't bother.
I do think its funny that you say you'd like to come here but then whine that the USA is so much better, stay there, Australians hate whinging yanks.

IP Logged

Mercedes With Square Wheels
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 8:17am

I hate whinging (gang raping) Lebanese, whinging blacks and whinging Turks more.

Why are people so critical of good immigrants yet act like the actual bad ones are so enriching?

Skippy is somewhat right though. You probably shouldn't come here if you can't get used to the slightly different ways we do things here. The universal healthcare isn't that bad. As a wise friend said to me, Australia is a slightly better place to live in than the U.S if you're a regular guy; if you're ambitious the U.S slightly beats out Australia.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 8:36am

americancitizen - yes, given all the bad reasons you have for not coming here, better you stay home.

never buy a dog you don't like.

Till you can write down a much bigger list for good reasons to come here, don't do it.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:40pm

Americancitizen87 wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 3:37am:
Is there a need for Physical Education teachers in Australia?

Sure, but you won't be heading above that 45% tax bracket, AC87.

To be honest, I can think of better reasons for not moving to Australia. Two big supermarket chains own most of the groceries, so keep prices high. Real estate prices are insane.

If you're against public healthcare, I'd stay in the States. You'd probably get a better deal there - unless you get sick.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 2:46pm

Real estate prices are high? I mean, if you're planning on living in Sydney or Perth, yes, but otherwise they aren't at all.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 3:37pm

Or Darwin. Look that up on Domain - a crappy city like that. My god.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 7:07pm

When american 87 said;
Quote:
Whenever the govt. gets involved in anything it ruins it.

Well there are certainly many Iraqis that would agree with you on that point.

But seriously, just how brainwashed are people if they think private enterprise is always going to deliver the best outcomes, in any modern, progressive society, it takes both working well to deliver all that we aim for in the 21st century.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 7:13pm

America is a better place to live, all things considered.

Move to San Diego.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 8:18pm

Quote:
But seriously, just how brainwashed are people if they think private enterprise is always going to deliver the best outcomes

I don't really think it's a matter of brainwashing. If you actually bother to spend the time to examine both the historical and present record, you would find that it's actually a fairly reasonable inference to make. Governments, both theoretically and in reality, have almost always time and time again proven themselves to be completely incompetent in comparison to the private sector. I'm not saying that government has no role in these matters, but the near infinite litany of horror stories and anecdotes of examples of gross incompetence coming from workers in the public sector makes me extremely questioning of how large, if any size at all, that role should be.

You only have to have wrestled with the incompetent, listless morons at Centrelink to realize that this is mostly true.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 10:02pm

Isn't government a private enterprise yet?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #22 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 1:34am

tallowood wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 10:02pm:
Isn't government a private enterprise yet?

Yes it's pretty much a private operation payed for by it's supporters, just like religions - free opinion costs nothing for athiests btw.

What amazes me is how soon people forget the nature of capitalism. Not that I think it's a bad thing, but there needs to be the control of a wider voice, ie: the general public.
Have we forgotten already that out of control greed has been the primary factor in this current meltdown?

What is certain, is that any capitilist venture will exploit people for further profits if allowed to gain total control in some area. That's just the nature of business. Business needs to be a tool for people, not the contoller.
It seems that Amer..87 either doesn't beileve that to be true, or is in agreeance with the concept of eventual world control by capitalist ventures.

The necessities that Australians once owned ( and for very good reason) have been sold off by those who we supposebly voted in to be the managers of our money and our future.
We're now in a state of bluff which pretences that we are unable to provide for ourselves and be free thinking individuals without the need to perpetually chase the carrots put in front of us.
But "yes we can  Smiley". There's no reason why small communities, or even individuals, can't  be self-sufficient if they so desire, thereby negating the need to bow to capitalist control, which is really only a submission to being a slave for the pleasure of others.i

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2009 at 1:53am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

merou

Less Tolerance, More Shooting

Pilbara WA
Reply #23 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 2:19am

Quote:
I do think its funny that you say you'd like to come here but then whine that the USA is so much better, stay there, Australians hate whinging yanks.

My brother in law is whinging yank, and we argue these points often with the result being me telling him that America is still where he left it...piss of home if it sucks so bad here.
But at least he works hard for his money, spends it in Australia, doesn't steal from his Australian neighbours, doesn't hang out in a violent American gang.
I say let a working American in and get rid of these violent, thieving bludging Somali's, and other "refugees" from war torn 3rd world dumps. If Australia wants to help them give them guns and carstrate them it's much cheaper and the end result will be no war, disease or famine.
I'm going to cop it for this comment but tough poo, I'm sick of them being shoveled into our neighbourhoods and then pilaging our hard earned posessions. We did not f**k their country it's not our job to free them from the squalor they created.
Who is going to free Australia when suicide bombers start blowing up our children or etnic gangs start stabbing them in the back at school or gang raping our daughters in parks.
I'm all for multiculturalism but bring in the doctors, nurses, school teachers not the dregs.

Come on over American citizen just "leave you guns at home son". A bit of whinging never killed anyone.

okay bring on the "this is not a racist forum crap" NEWSFLASH I'M NOT RACIST, my comments refer to the quality of the people allowed into this country not the race.

Shoot the scum and let God sort em out.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 2:31am

Yes the Labour party tries to give them a handout to I bet. Take it from an American who has seen the great state of california become a gang welfare state. Close your borders only let skilled workers in.

IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #25 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 2:48am

A handout....that is an understatement, they are given a house and the income to pay for it plus all the benefits that being on welfare brings with.
I would rather a person from any country move here and complain about our governments policies or healthcare system any day (just like we ourselves do). We may get in heated arguments, hurl abuse at each other and even dislike each other, but at least my $2700 in tax I pay each month is not paying for their living expenses and they are not going to stab me for my opinion or religious beliefs.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:09am

That is terrible man I didn't know it was that bad. It is like there here with a large percentage of blacks. They live in government houses and get food and healthcare payed for. Ya'll gotta get rid of Kevin Rudd before he apologizes again or worse....reprimations

IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #27 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:34am

Americancitizen87 wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:09am:
That is terrible man I didn't know it was that bad. It is like there here with a large percentage of blacks. They live in government houses and get food and healthcare payed for. Ya'll gotta get rid of Kevin Rudd before he apologizes again or worse....reprimations

I didn't vote Rudd. Rudds apology was to the Aborinines, and, although I tend to get annoyed with Australian Aborigines lack of skill in utilising the massive government assistance they recieve, we must remember that 200 years ago they were essentially "cave men" living in the stoneage. Still, they are Australian. We can deal with them and they,.......well.......deserve assistance.
As far as I'm concerned my brother in law who is a Choctaw Native American Indian, busted his arse for 5 years to prove to the government that he deserved his citizenship and has never been a drain on our welfare system, he has never hurt any Australian and now currently serves our country in the AFP protective services in Woomera. Yet we let in scum, support them and put up with their violent anti-social behaviour for no other reason than their country has turned to sh1t. I don't get it.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:47am

The stupid Labour party policy in 1973. You know why they let them in......future voters!!! The labour party tries to act like their for the middle class and poor but all they see is giving the new unskilled immigrants a handout in exchange for a vote!!! I know how that works you Australians are good people unfortunately your rendezvous with this a new great land is all to familiar with me and I can tell you from our past mistakes how this will play out if not stopped immediately.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:45pm

merou wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:34am:
…. Yet we let in scum, support them and put up with their violent anti-social behaviour for no other reason than their country has turned to sh1t. I don't get it.

This is what I don’t get either.
I order to make our country livable we don’t need any scum at all, if anything we should send some out not take more in.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #30 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:54pm

merou - that's been my experiences of americans in aussie too.
hardworking, tax paying, freedom of speech loving, straight up.

Assimilate very well overall.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #31 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:15pm

merou,

Quote:
We did not f**k their country it's not our job to free them from the squalor they created.

Better check your facts, the British, French, U.S (or all 3 in some cases) have occupied, and waged war in Somalia, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Iraq and pretty much any other country you're thinking of over the past century.

Prior to these actions, all of those countries experienced long periods of peace, prosperity and stability in most cases.

The fact is your allies and imperial predecessors _DID_ mess up their countries. Stop denying clear historical facts.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:44pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:15pm:
merou,

Quote:
We did not f**k their country it's not our job to free them from the squalor they created.

Better check your facts, the British, French, U.S (or all 3 in some cases) have occupied, and waged war in Somalia, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Iraq and pretty much any other country you're thinking of over the past century.

Prior to these actions, all of those countries experienced long periods of peace, prosperity and stability in most cases.

The fact is your allies and imperial predecessors _DID_ mess up their countries. Stop denying clear historical facts.

Hahahahahahah your little left-wing talking points are terrible bro blame other people for their actions.......I bet your a weak little boy

IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #33 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:56pm

Okay mate, it's our fault that Somalia has been fighting a civil war for nearly 20 years is it? I suppose you would even argue that the only reason that UN Security Council Resolution 794 which approved a coalition of United Nations peacekeepers led by the United States
was passed so that the US could get it's hands on Somalias oil concessions.
I maintain - Australia did not fu*k their country, we should not have to support their violent refugees. Sure, not all of them are violent but before you go defending them go live in Balga or Mirrabooka (Perth) for a while,  let's see how sympathetic you are lying in a pool of your own blood after being bashed and robbed of your shoes.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:01pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:15pm:
merou,

Quote:

You don't realise but with every post-colonialist utterance you reinforce the idea of the w'hite man's burden' to guide and civilise the tinted children of this earth - for they are NEVER responsible for their own countries, governments, laws and relationships to each other.

The white man messes them up if he colonises them, teaches them to build infrastructure, civil society and to look beyond their village. The white man, alas, also messes them up if he leaves them to their own devices to carry on as corrupt and dim and bars them from his markets and technologies.

White man's burden - damned if you help them, damned if you don't.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #35 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:13pm

Quote:
Okay mate, it's our fault that Somalia has been fighting a civil war for nearly 20 years is it?

For the few millenia of historical records we have on the region, it was generally a prosperous trading centre, that was rarely involved in wars, and it's huge number of ports facilitated massive trade empires that stretched from China to Europe. During the 1200 or so years of Islamic presence there, it was an extremely prosperous region, until that is the British, Italians and French arrived. They divided it into their own little regions of influence (British Somaliland, French Somaliland, Italian Somaliland) and since then it's been turned into a squabbling backwater.

During the 1920's the British completely decimated the place with aerial bombardments, and then in the following decades the Fascist Italians further destroyed the country, fighting the British for control of it. Then after WWII the Italians lost interest and pulled out, leaving the country in a right mess. Then the Soviets got involved and setup a Socialist government, which eventually collapsed in the early 1990's after it's founders had also collapsed, and then the U.S (under the guise of the U.N) landed at the party... but pretty soon got their rectums booted out of the country and a coupla their fancy Black hawk helicopters shot down whilst fleeing with their tails between their legs... So they sent the Ethiopians in to do their dirty work for them... and here we are today!

But no... it's all the fault of the Somalis themselves, nothing to do with the 100 or so years of foreign domination and decimation that's been thrust onto them... of course not..

Go and learn some history instead of just spouting bovine faeces.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #36 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:20pm

Quote:
go live in Balga or Mirrabooka (Perth) for a while,  let's see how sympathetic you are lying in a pool of your own blood after being bashed and robbed of your shoes.

I've spent some time in the suburb in my city which has the largest Somali population, and I gotta say, you're speaking nothing but racist crap. I've always found them to be the friendliest and most humble people I've come across in Australia. I really feel so much warmth from them as a people, and I've never met a Somali who doesn't constantly smile. My son goes to school with many Somalis and some of his good friends are from amongst them (as is the consistently top scoring student in his class). I don't doubt there may be some rotten eggs amongst them (as there are in all communities) but on the whole, I really found them to be so nice and warm.

I very much doubt you've had any real first hand experiences with them.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #37 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:35pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:20pm:
I very much doubt you've had any real first hand experiences with them.

Your right, I didn't take my friends next door neighbour to hospital with a broken jaw, broken ribs and stolen shoes after he asked them for his bike back that they also stole, Nor did I watch 6 of them throw rocks through a car window in broad daylight and steal the contents.

Your also correct in saying I am generalising, I have met some very nice Somali's and enjoyed chatting with them and was genuinely happy to share this country with them. I maintain my opinion I would rather see 42c of every dollar I earn go to an Australian who is struggling, I repeat AUSTRALIA did not turn their country to sh1t.

I respect your opinion Abu and will not say that you are wrong, but sorry I will not agree totally.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #38 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:43pm

Quote:
Nor did I watch 6 of them throw rocks through a car window in broad daylight and steal the contents.

Just curious, how did you know they were Somalis? did you ask them?

"Wait a moment chaps, before you swipe the contents of the car whose window you just smashed, could you tell me which country you're from??"

Anyway as I said, such things could happen, as they happen amongst all different ethnicities, yes even *shock, horror, gasp* whites. To single Somalis out though and claim they're well known for such things is just not accurate in my experience. I've seen other ethnicities making much more trouble, and people who I know that have lived in the Somali area have told me the only problems they had was from Anglos in the area, not Somalis.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:55pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:13pm:
Quote:
Okay mate, it's our fault that Somalia has been fighting a civil war for nearly 20 years is it?

For the few millenia of historical records we have on the region, it was generally a prosperous trading centre, that was rarely involved in wars, and it's huge number of ports facilitated massive trade empires that stretched from China to Europe. During the 1200 or so years of Islamic presence there, it was an extremely prosperous region, until that is the British, Italians and French arrived. They divided it into their own little regions of influence (British Somaliland, French Somaliland, Italian Somaliland) and since then it's been turned into a squabbling backwater.

During the 1920's the British completely decimated the place with aerial bombardments, and then in the following decades the Fascist Italians further destroyed the country, fighting the British for control of it. Then after WWII the Italians lost interest and pulled out, leaving the country in a right mess. Then the Soviets got involved and setup a Socialist government, which eventually collapsed in the early 1990's after it's founders had also collapsed, and then the U.S (under the guise of the U.N) landed at the party... but pretty soon got their rectums booted out of the country and a coupla their fancy Black hawk helicopters shot down whilst fleeing with their tails between their legs... So they sent the Ethiopians in to do their dirty work for them... and here we are today!

But no... it's all the fault of the Somalis themselves, nothing to do with the 100 or so years of foreign domination and decimation that's been thrust onto them... of course not..

Go and learn some history instead of just spouting bovine faeces.

Xerxes: What exactly are the demands?
Reg: We're giving Pilate two days to dismantle the entire apparatus of the Roman Imperialist State and if he doesn't agree immediately we execute her.
Matthias: Cut her head off?
Francis: Cut all her bits off, send 'em back every hour on the hour... show him we're not to be trifled with.
Reg: Also, we're demanding a ten foot mahogany statue of the Emperor Julius Caesar with his cock hanging out.
Stan: What? They'll never agree to that, Reg.
Reg: That's just a bargaining counter. And of course, we point out that they bear full responsibility when we chop her up, and... that we shall not submit to blackmail.
Omnes: (Applause) No blackmail!
Reg: They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers' fathers.
Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers.
Reg: Yes.
Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers.
Reg: All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?
Xerxes: The aqueduct.
Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true.
Masked Activist: And the sanitation!
Stan: Oh yes... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like.
Reg: All right, I'll grant you that the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done...
Matthias: And the roads...
Reg: (sharply) Well yes obviously the roads... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads...
Another Masked Activist: Irrigation...
Other Masked Voices: Medicine... Education... Health...
Reg: Yes... all right, fair enough...
Activist Near Front: And the wine...
Omnes: Oh yes! True!
Francis: Yeah. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left, Reg.
Masked Activist at Back: Public baths!
Stan: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now.
Francis: Yes, they certainly know how to keep order... (general nodding)... let's face it, they're the only ones who could in a place like this.

(more general murmurs of agreement)
Reg: All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
Xerxes: Brought peace!
Reg: (very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Peace, yes... shut up!

IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #40 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 6:48am

[quote author=abu_rashid link=1249398386/30#38 date=1249566212
Anyway as I said, such things could happen, as they happen amongst all different ethnicities, yes even *shock, horror, gasp* whites. To single Somalis out though and claim they're well known for such things is just not accurate in my experience [/quote]

Exactly, we have our own bad eggs, we don't need to import more, which, really is how this topic started, and yes let's not single out Somalis, you are right it's not fair.
Let's not import any persons by the thousands who cannot support themselves Look at the Italians hundreds of them came here and they worked their arses off, helped build the country.
It's not fair to single out Somali's, you are right, stop importing all 3rd world refugees by the ship load. I don't condemn bringing in refugees full stop, I just don't think we need to fill the country with them.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #41 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 7:36am

Quote:
Let's not import any persons by the thousands who cannot support themselves Look at the Italians hundreds of them came here and they worked their arses off, helped build the country.

Yeh right... they didn't come here and setup mafias and import massive amounts of drugs etc. no no no, not those good European immigrants..

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #42 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 10:41pm

Grin  Smiley

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #43 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 11:02pm

Merou, just out of curiousity are you aware that Muslims have been here since the beginning of European settlement (and before actually), and were quite instrumental in building the Australia we have today? Long before the Italians, Greeks etc. arrived, Muslims came by the thousands from all over the British empire, to help explore and settle Australia. That's why today our cross-country railway is named after them, the Ghan (from Afghan).

more information

Also personally I know of quite a lot of Muslims who contribute quite positively to Australian society. I know of two Muslim mayors, of many doctors, some of them reaching quite high levels within their profession and many others who contribute very positively to Australia in a vast number of fields. And historically speaking, Muslims were quite clearly the largest contributors to building modern Australia, after the British. The misconception that Islam is new, foreign and has no history or basis in Australia is just plain wrong, and neglects the massive contributions Muslims made, even sacrificing their lives in many cases during the early years of exploration.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #44 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 6:44am

AAAAHHHHH, yeah..........and........
At what point in this topic did religion come into it. I have good friends that travelled from Sydney to the northwest of WA to attend my wedding, guess what.....they are muslim.
At first I was happy to see someone on here to argue the Muslim side, now, it seems, that is all you do, even if Islam was never bought up.

I think this debate has run it's course my friend.....thankyou for your input, I'm sure you will be please to know I learned a few facts from it.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #45 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 8:39am

Quote:
At what point in this topic did religion come into it.

Religion didn't enter the topic at all. We were discussing Muslims as a people, not their religious beliefs. As you seemed to be under the impression Muslims in Australia is a bad thing, and we should prevent them being here.

Quote:
now, it seems, that is all you do, even if Islam was never bought up.

It's rare that Islam is not brought into a topic on here, and usually not by myself. It's the typical boogey-man used to blame everything from why Brits wave their members at Greek girls in nightclubs to why the world is in such a state of chaos today.

Quote:
I think this debate has run it's course my friend.....thankyou for your input, I'm sure you will be please to know I learned a few facts from it.

My pleasure.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #46 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 9:15pm

Quote:
Religion didn't enter the topic at all. We were discussing Muslims as a people,

ummmm.......righto......

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 7th, 2009 at 11:02pm:
Merou, just out of curiousity are you aware that Muslims have been here since the beginning of European settlement

I do believe this was the first point at which muslims were entered into the topic and look who the author is.

I don't know where you formed the opinion that I don't want muslims here. I don't view a man through his religion but through his actions.

I welcome any person black, white, yellow, buddhist, catholic, muslim, gnostic. My whole argument, admittedly though unfairly centred on Somalis in this instance, is I don't want thousands upon thousands of taxpayer dependant imports.
Plain and simple.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #47 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 10:13pm

Quote:
I do believe this was the first point at which muslims were entered into the topic and look who the author is

Actually, it was at the mention of Somalis. Since they are Muslims, and we both know the reason they are the subject of discussion is because of the high profile arrests over recent days.

Anyway my points still stand for Somalis too, most of them are great contributors to Australian society.

Quote:
is I don't want thousands upon thousands of taxpayer dependant imports.

And what I want to know is where you get your facts from that Somalis are taxpayer dependant.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

merou

Pilbara WA
Reply #48 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 8:55pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 8th, 2009 at 10:13pm:
Quote:
I do believe this was the first point at which muslims were entered into the topic and look who the author is

Actually, it was at the mention of Somalis. Since they are Muslims, and we both know the reason they are the subject of discussion is because of the high profile arrests over recent days..

Actually I don't know what arrests you are about, I am at work in the middle of the bush, I don't watch TV or read the papers up here, also as I stated before It had nothing to do with the fact they were muslim.

Anyway my points still stand for Somalis too, most of them are great contributors to Australian society..

Fantastic, I don't doubt that

Quote:
I don't want thousands upon thousands of taxpayer dependant imports.

Quote:
From Any country, religion or race.

And what I want to know is where you get your facts from that Somalis are taxpayer dependant.

Let me state one more time just for you Abu.......
I WELCOME ALL TO AUSTRALIA, UNLESS YOU WILL BE LIVING OFF MY TAXES.
Will you stop bringing muslims in to every debate.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2009 at 10:19pm by merou »  

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 9:36pm

Quote:
Merou, just out of curiousity are you aware that Muslims have been here since the beginning of European settlement (and before actually), and were quite instrumental in building the Australia we have today?

Oh God what a LOAD OF CRAP. Quite instrumental my left ass cheek.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #50 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:50am

Quote:
I WELCOME ALL TO AUSTRALIA, UNLESS YOU WILL BE LIVING OFF MY TAXES.

Great, just be sure to research before claiming any specific community are leechers then.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #51 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:56am

Quote:
Quite instrumental my left ass cheek.

Ok, you don't like my terminology? Let's scrap instrumental and use the terminology from the dfat website:

Quote:
these Muslims were vital in the early exploration of inland Australia

Just because you have no respect or honour for those who pioneered this country, who sacrificed their lives so we could share Australia today doesn't mean all of us do.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #52 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 9:49pm

Quote:
Now I may never get in that 45% bracket but high taxes are confiscatory to the economy and when you cut taxes govt. revenue actually goes up because it is a domino effect of growth in the economy.

This is a non-sequitor. Whether government revenue goes up or down depends on what level current taxes are at. If you cut taxes from 1% to 0%, government revenue goes down. Obviously there is some taxation rate that maximises government revenue, and it is nowhere near 0%. What this level is would no doubt depend on the robustness of the society as a whole - for example, for an overpopulated society near breaking point it would be lower than for a wealthy, modern industrialised society. There is not a single country on earth whose government could increase revenue by reducing taxation. This line is repeated ad nauseum by empty headed free market extremists for whom capitalism is more a religion than a means to an end, and who have no qualms about sacrificing the truth to attain their version of utopia.

You are also ignoring the fact that the way government spends the income can significantly increase personal wealth of the citizens beyond what it would do if left in private hands.

Quote:
Whenever the govt. gets involved in anything it ruins it. In countries with socialized medicine you have long waiting lines for surgeries and you have long ER waiting lines some cancer treatments never happen why would I want that.

As opposed to countries without socialised medicine where the people just die of easily preventable or curable diseases because they can't afford treatment. Now tell me which option 'ruins' it? Even America has a high degree of socialisation medicine because even Americans recognise the inhumanity in denying someone basic medical treatment because they are poor. The rest is just a question of extent - ie what people consider to be basic care. You champion American free market health care, yet seem oblivious to the fact that America's is highly socialised (while providing many examples of this socialism), and would no doubt baulk at the cruelty of a genuine free market system.

Quote:
I want a free market health care system that thrives on competition and innovation.

Real innovation can only happen with government sponsored research into basic science - the sort of research that is not economic for the private sector. The sort of innovation that free market capitalism brings to health care is throwing poor people out onto the street so paying customers seeking little blue pills or botox aren't inconvenienced by poor people bleeding all over the floor. One must accept the reality that there are limits to what the free market can provide, and in many areas they fall far short of what we consider acceptable. Health is one industry where socialism definitely comes out on top.

Quote:
I want to be able to pick and control who my doctor is and don't want approval from the government. What is hypocritical about that?

Nothing at all, and socialised medicine does not deny you this right.

Quote:
We have the highest survival rate of people with cancer and heart disease.

Funny that these are diseases of rich white people who have survived the easily preventable and curable afflictions that still kill many poor people, even in America. You can add a few years to the life and suffering of a 90 year old bed bound rich person by delaying the inevitable at huge expense, while poor people freeze to death on the front step. These treatments would not be possible today without government funded research.

Quote:
If you work here you have great health care.

That's a pretty big if. The health care is great compared to a jobless American, but who would want to be a jobless American? Perhaps you should try comparing it to a country with decent health care.

Quote:
Nobody leaves here to get treatment in other countries!! Are you kidding me?

Plenty of people do.

Quote:
Again the high costs of medical care are the result of govt. regulations and mandates.

I thought you said no-one leaves for cheaper treatment, now you are complaining about the high cost? Are you saying that the cost is high, but that this does not affect anyone's spending habits? That sounds like a crack in capitalism to me.

Quote:
But I must tell you the Mexicans and Canadians that come here for medical care is 10000x greater than people that leave here.

So now you admit that people do leave the US for treatment?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oznationalist

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 11:11am

Americancitizen87 wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:06am:
I have a couple reasons for hesitation however. The first being that Australia's top tax bracket is 45%. Now I may never get in that 45% bracket but high taxes are confiscatory to the economy and when you cut taxes govt. revenue actually goes up because it is a domino effect of growth in the economy. The labour party apparently screwed the country over when they didn't reduce the top tax bracket to 42% like they said they would. The way to growth is low taxes and limited government. But even lower taxes can supply bigger government due to the revenue that is produced. The other reason I am hesitant to move there is your socialized medicine. You have an overflow of people in your hospitals and you have state run hospitals. Yikes that is terrible.  Please respond, thanks

Yes so true everything is a breaking point due to the amount of immigrants we house and support, if you think here is better than the U.S its no different i stayed in Durham N.C. it beats this hole, if I were you that where I would look. If we didnt have so many blacks muslims and asians we would have a nice safe clean nation and yes you are right about the ecomoic points you made perhaps you could advise Mr Rudd you would be a damn improvement on the current rehtoric

IP Logged

oznationalist

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 11:17am

Quote:

Actually, it was at the mention of Somalis. Since they are Muslims, and we both know the reason they are the subject of discussion is because of the high profile arrests over recent days.

Anyway my points still stand for Somalis too, most of them are great contributors to Australian society.

Quote:
is I don't want thousands upon thousands of taxpayer dependant imports.

Abu Rashid just looking at your avatar tells me you want your kind to control this nation it is sickening and offensive, and of course you would welcome an American why muslims love having Americans around to bomb.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print