Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
I'm an American looking to move to Australia (Read 5498 times)
Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

I'm an American looking to move to Australia
Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:06am

I have a couple reasons for hesitation however. The first being that Australia's top tax bracket is 45%. Now I may never get in that 45% bracket but high taxes are confiscatory to the economy and when you cut taxes govt. revenue actually goes up because it is a domino effect of growth in the economy. The labour party apparently screwed the country over when they didn't reduce the top tax bracket to 42% like they said they would. The way to growth is low taxes and limited government. But even lower taxes can supply bigger government due to the revenue that is produced. The other reason I am hesitant to move there is your socialized medicine. You have an overflow of people in your hospitals and you have state run hospitals. Yikes that is terrible.  Please respond, thanks

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: I'm an American looking to move to Australia
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:15am

Who would want to live under the yoke of the current US health care system? Weird, given the religiosity of the US, that they would deny the availability and affordability of health care to all. An example of the hypocrisy of American Christianity.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:25am

It's not a Christianity issue it is a economics and quality of life issue. Whenever the govt. gets involved in anything it ruins it. In countries with socialized medicine you have long waiting lines for surgeries and you have long ER waiting lines some cancer treatments never happen why would I want that. I'm not a christian that has nothing to do with it. I want a free market health care system that thrives on competition and innovation. We have government involvement and mandates that makes prices go up now. I want to be able to pick and control who my doctor is and don't want approval from the government. What is hypocritical about that? We have the highest survival rate of people with cancer and heart disease. If you work here you have great health care. The people that don't have health insurance are the people who don't work and even they get emergency room medical treatment free.  The govt. cant mandate prices that ends up leading to shortage of supplies and problems that occur when govt. gets in involved in the market.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:35am

A just medical system? Wonder why so many Americans travel to Canada and Mexico for life saving medications.

I guess if you're turned away from hospitals and denied health care because you can't afford the outrageous cost of medical insurance, you're not going to have any effect on disease survival rates because you'll never be diagnosed.

But I'd bet the chances of survival are far greater for those who have access to affordable medication (like Americans who have to leave their country to survive) compared to those who have to rely on two aspirins and a cup of cocoa.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:39am

Nobody leaves here to get treatment in other countries!! Are you kidding me? Again the high costs of medical care are the result of govt. regulations and mandates. It is laughable how uninformed you are!! LOL you think people here leave to go to Mexico and Canada? hahaahahahahahaha

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:40am

the average canadian waits 100 days for Chemo therapy!! How long would an american citizen have to wait? Where do you get your info from? Are you kidding me?

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:46am

I don't mean to be rude I am just shocked that someone would think that americans leave this country for medical care

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:57am

Americancitizen87 wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:46am:
I don't mean to be rude I am just shocked that someone would think that americans leave this country for medical care

Cheap prescription drugs creating new brand of US tourist in Canada, Mexico

Quote:
By the busload, thousands of American seniors are crossing over into Canada and Mexico to stock up on the one valuable commodity they can't seem to find at home - affordable prescription drugs.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 2:05am

Drugs are priced high because of the strict regulations of the FDA which limits what can be sold. They have drugs in the UK that are legal that aren't legal here. That was my point earlier. But I must tell you the Mexicans and Canadians that come here for medical care is 10000x greater than people that leave here. The illegal Mexicans are overrunning our hospitals and making them go out of business because the hospitals can't turn them away. Canadians come here if they can afford out of pocket expenses for surgeries so they don't have to wait as long. Google illegal aliens in american hospitals see what comes up

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 2:25am

Under the Australian Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme...

Quote:
The cost of a medication is negotiated between the Commonwealth Government, through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Pricing Authority (PBPA), and the supplier of the drug. This agreed price is then the basis of the dispensed price of the medication which is negotiated between the Commonwealth Government and the Pharmacy Guild of Australia under the Community Pharmacy Agreement. The dispensed price includes the wholesaler's markup, pharmacist's markup, and a dispensing fee. Pharmacies purchase PBS-listed drugs from the wholesaler or supplier, and claim the difference between the dispensed price and the patient co-payment contribution from Medicare Australia.

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 3:11am

Whenever you put price caps on drugs it limits the growth of the drug industry because pharm companies have to make what they invest and their only going to invest what they know their going to make

IP Logged

Americancitizen87

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 3:37am

Is there a need for Physical Education teachers in Australia?

IP Logged

skippy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 8:03am

I'd suggest you don't come here Americancitizen, if you are already whining about your perceived opinion on Australia its best you don't bother.
I do think its funny that you say you'd like to come here but then whine that the USA is so much better, stay there, Australians hate whinging yanks.

IP Logged

Mercedes With Square Wheels
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 8:17am

I hate whinging (gang raping) Lebanese, whinging blacks and whinging Turks more.

Why are people so critical of good immigrants yet act like the actual bad ones are so enriching?

Skippy is somewhat right though. You probably shouldn't come here if you can't get used to the slightly different ways we do things here. The universal healthcare isn't that bad. As a wise friend said to me, Australia is a slightly better place to live in than the U.S if you're a regular guy; if you're ambitious the U.S slightly beats out Australia.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 8:36am

americancitizen - yes, given all the bad reasons you have for not coming here, better you stay home.

never buy a dog you don't like.

Till you can write down a much bigger list for good reasons to come here, don't do it.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print