Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
chasers war on themselves (Read 1287 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

chasers war on themselves
Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:43am

get rid of them, they don't help anyone. they don't inspire anyone.
They don't support anyone, they don't create anything.

unemployable uni students like this are better being dishpigs are a local restaurant.

Quote:
THE Chaser comedy team has blundered into controversy yet again, going ahead with a stunt at the Canberra church attended by Kevin Rudd yesterday despite the death of an Australian soldier in Afghanistan.

Chaser comedian Julian Morrow, who is also the program's executive producer, was stopped by Australian Federal Police officers when he arrived at St John's Anglican Church in full mountaineering gear and attempted to scale the spire during the regular Sunday service -- a reference to the recent row over climbing Uluru.

The ABC went ahead and filmed despite being warned by media waiting for the Prime Minister that Mr Rudd was expected to comment on Australian casualties in the Jakarta bombings, and the news just breaking of the killing of an Australian soldier and the serious wounding of another in an incident in Afghanistan.

"Today is a really sad time for all Australians," Mr Rudd said in his comments after mass.

"I think I speak on behalf of all Australians when I say our thoughts and our prayers and our hearts go out to so many grieving families across Australia today."

Australia Defence Association head Neal James told The Australian the stunt was "off".

ABC managing director Mark Scott suspended the controversial comedy from the air for two weeks last month after a sketch parodying a charity for dying children.

The Chaser caused controversy in 2007 with its Eulogy Song that mocked the recently killed racing driver Peter Brock and "Croc Hunter" Steve Irwin.

The Prime Minister and his wife are regulars at St John's, a Canberra landmark. The pair married there in 1981.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: chasers war on themselves
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:21am

Quote:
unemployable uni students like this are better being dishpigs are a local restaurant.

Julian Morrow was a successful lawyer at Blake Dawson Waldron in their industrial division before doing the Chaser.  So he's not 'unemployable'.

I think there is a bit of tall poppy syndrome creeping in to what they do now. People are cheering the fact that they made a mistake and can be beaten up.

And for me, it wasn't even that big of a mistake. But they are white guys, so they are fair game for being kicked hard.

Either watch them or don't. But the whole witch hunt of salem thing is a bit base.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:25pm

There is the tall poppy syndrome.... but also the fact that there are fine lines between comedy and crass cynicism or poor taste. Comedians need considerable skill to find and stand on the right side of making them laugh and putting them off.

But maybe the Chaser team has just gone as far as it's going to go with their brand of humour now seen as boring or just plain prattish.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:55pm

Quote:
get rid of them, they don't help anyone. they don't inspire anyone.
They don't support anyone, they don't create anything.

From what I understand, they only have two shows to go before they're finished forever.
I doubt if they'll become unemployable. They could sell ice to the eskimos if they wanted, and successful comedians are generally very switched on.
It's probably a good time for them to end it now because I think they've taken it as far as the public will allow, and too many people (in this country) know who they are.
Generally, I think they've been very funny whilst also inspiring people to not take themselves so seriously.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 6:06pm

ABC should replace them with happy-happy-sheikh Hilally show. He can say and do all the offensive bits too but he is funnier, IMHO.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

http://www.ozpolitic
.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 12:25am

I used to watch Chaser all the time but now in their search for even more notoriety and boundary pushing , they have shown they are not tuned to the psyche' of the average aussie anymore simply because as stated they are most likley not fathers and lack empathy in a general sense.

They dont know what acceptable boundaries are.

They were good holding up 2 fingers behind the head of a pollie during a doorstop, but thats it.

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave"

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 1:37am

Quote:
I used to watch Chaser all the time but now in their search for even more notoriety and boundary pushing , they have shown they are not tuned to the psyche' of the average aussie anymore simply because as stated they are most likley not fathers and lack empathy in a general sense.

Using terminally ill kids as the butt of a joke (a very unfunny one at that) was probably their death knell.

That was the signal that they've lost the plot, and maybe they heeded the warning themselves also.

Most people make mistakes and have a brain freeze occassionally, but it's hard to understand why they'd try to find humour in a circumstance where sick kids lying in their hospital beds might be watching and not seeing the funny side of it. There wasn't a funny side to it.

If only it was so easy to remove those other arrogant assholes who go against social conscience and yet provide nothing.

At least The Chasers provided some laughs.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 10:22am

I'm not as harsh on them as everyone else. Coming up with ideas as a writer is fast paced, time consuming and exhausting. Yeah they made a mistake, but people do.  I think it's just time to move on.

They have put Australia on the world stage, multiple times with their stunts that have ended up as viral Youtube videos or spots on US and UK news channels.

More importantly than all of that - in the great Australian tradition - they were ordinary people - WHO HAD A GO, and achieved a lot of success. People shouldn't be waiting in the wings to give them a kicking if they stumble, because everyone does.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 11:30am

Calanen wrote on Jul 22nd, 2009 at 10:22am:
I'm not as harsh on them as everyone else. Coming up with ideas as a writer is fast paced, time consuming and exhausting. Yeah they made a mistake, but people do.  I think it's just time to move on.

They have put Australia on the world stage, multiple times with their stunts that have ended up as viral Youtube videos or spots on US and UK news channels.

More importantly than all of that - in the great Australian tradition - they were ordinary people - WHO HAD A GO, and achieved a lot of success. People shouldn't be waiting in the wings to give them a kicking if they stumble, because everyone does.

Not making a disastrous mistake in comedy is crucial. Once a comedian is seriously unfunny, it's hard to laugh with them again.

I would have thought the land, its natural resources and uncommon beauty (not to mention certain architecture, the Olympic Games) has put Australia on the map.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 12:51pm

It is not a good thing to be put on the map just look at all the illegals coming by boats and aeroplanes.

As for "People shouldn't be waiting in the wings to give them a kicking if they stumble, because everyone does" ... the answer is "there is no business like show business" and kicking them is a part of it just like adoring them.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print