Send Topic Print
Like it or leave? (Read 3773 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Like it or leave?
Jun 24th, 2009 at 7:40am

With Facebook shutting down an anti-Islam hate group from using it's site, we saw one comment from a University Professor which made me smile.

Quote:
Deakin University Associate Professor Dr Rohan Bastin said Australia had a strong sentiment of "assimilationism", and immigrants were expected to become part of a "mainstream Australia".

"If people are saying 'if you don't like it, leave', then they're demonstrating that they're profoundly stupid," he said

lol, I couldn't help but reflect on what our "anti" members here would think of that?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/12/2596603.htm?site=news

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Like it or leave?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:30am

Thanks mozzaok. I owe you one Smiley

What sort of a name is "Rohan Bastin" ?
is that a he or a she, or a combo?

what do you think rohan, that aussie should bend over for illiterate violent uneducated illegal immigrants?
rohan - if you don't like aussie - take off.
find a better country in the world and stay there.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:43am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 7:40am:
With Facebook shutting down an anti-Islam hate group from using it's site, we saw one comment from a University Professor which made me smile.

Quote:
Deakin University Associate Professor Dr Rohan Bastin said Australia had a strong sentiment of "assimilationism", and immigrants were expected to become part of a "mainstream Australia".

"If people are saying 'if you don't like it, leave', then they're demonstrating that they're profoundly stupid," he said

lol, I couldn't help but reflect on what our "anti" members here would think of that?

Remember under the Howard government the repeat offender from Russia or somewhere in Europe who had been here since he was 3, but wasn't registered as a citizen. He was sent back to his birth country and ended up wandering the streets homeless, hungry and cold and couldn't speak the language. He had a nervous breakdown. I can't remember whether they brought him back.

I don't think he roused much pity at the time. I think the US does this as well.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:49am

So ?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:50am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:49am:
So ?

Some morality coming from a theist.

As you demonstrate, your theism has not imbued you with any sense of empathy at all.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:52am

It's probably a good idea if they're repeat offenders - but not just because their culture is different to ours.

I wish they'd send the Ibrahim brothers back to Lebanon. Security at the RNS hospital is costing about $8,000 a day - not to mention his expensive operations and the months of hospitalisation to come. Now his brother is complaining that Goulburn "super max" is too harsh for him and he wants out.

Send the crims back - but not those who can't assimilate to our standards.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:25am

helian - see ??
I ain't any better than an athiest.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:28am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:25am:
helian - see ??
I ain't any better than an athiest.

Then what's the point of your theism?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:44am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 7:40am:

Quote:

I think he should leave. I'd even pay for his ticket to go.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:54am

Rohan Bastin is an idiot.
He should first answer a question - why immigrants leave their native countries to start with? Isn't it because they don't like it there?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:16am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:50am:
So ?

As you demonstrate, your theism has not imbued you with any sense of empathy at all.

Personally i believe that empathy, and forgiveness, should be principally for those who repent of wrong doing.

But what you seem to be suggesting is that empathy, and forgiveness, should be extended to all, including evil doers and the wicked?

And that course, is effectively what already happens in Australia today, in what we quaintly refer to, as our 'Justice system'.

A misnomer, if ever there was one!

And what an unjust system of justice we have in Australia, where evil doers walk free, every day!

helian,

If you think that the Christian ideal is that, when Jesus returns to judge the world [mankind], that everyone is going to be forgiven, then i think that you are labouring under a misapprehension.

God's mercy will extend to the repentant [i believe].

Deuteronomy 25:1
If there be a controversy between men, and they come unto judgment, that the judges may judge them; then they shall justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked.

Proverbs 21:2
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.
To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

Isaiah 1:21
How is the faithful city become an harlot! it was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it; but now murderers.
22  Thy silver is become dross, thy wine mixed with water:
23  Thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.

John 7:24
Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

What did John the Baptist say, about those who seek and expect forgiveness?

He said,

"Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:"

Matthew 3:7
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8  Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
9  And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
10  And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

The wicked are "....cast into the fire." ???

AND CAST INTO THE FIRE

And what did Jesus say?

Matthew 7:1
Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2  For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

What did Jesus mean?
It seems pretty clear doesn't it!

DON'T JUDGE OTHERS, AND THEREBY AVOID YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT.

Poppycock.

False doctrine.

Again, the words of Jesus,

Luke 6:43
For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
44  For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
45  A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
46  And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Good trees and bad trees??

Read Ezekiel 15:1-5

Ezekiel 15:1  And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
2  Son of man, What is the vine tree more than any tree, or than a branch which is among the trees of the forest?
3  Shall wood be taken thereof to do any work? or will men take a pin of it to hang any vessel thereon?
4  Behold, it is cast into the fire for fuel; the fire devoureth both the ends of it, and the midst of it is burned. Is it meet for any work?
5  Behold, when it was whole, it was meet for no work: how much less shall it be meet yet for any work, when the fire hath devoured it, and it is burned?

".....For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

And how do men judge?

When they find a tree that does not bear fruit.

They hew it down, for firewood!

And so will our God!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:41am

Yadda wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:16am:
Personally i believe that empathy, and forgiveness, should be principally for those who repent of wrong doing.

But what you seem to be suggesting is that empathy, and forgiveness, should be extended to all, including evil doers and the wicked?

What I am suggesting is exactly what you claim your god has revealed to you... to forgive and love your enemies and to leave judgement to him. If you believe that, then your personal opinion is irrelevant.

Although you seem to suggest further down that its OK to kill people you don't like.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:54am

What are you trying to say Mozz... because he's a professor he's right?

Pull the other one.

His statement is demonstrably idiotic.  Wonder what that makes him?  Cheesy

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:54am

Yadda wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:16am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:50am:
So ?

Didn't someone say "Forgive them for they know not what they do." ?

I am just saying that this is part of Helian's point. I personally am not that forgiving. I am an athiest with sympathy and admiration for Jesus' philosophy, but no strict adherence to it.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 12:17pm

locutius wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:54am:
Didn't someone say "Forgive them for they know not what they do." ?

Yes, Jesus said that.

Jesus also said,

Luke 17:3
Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
4  And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

The Church today is very 'ecumenical'.

We have to be 'tolerant', and to forgive [the wicked], just like Jesus commanded.
/sarc off

But Jesus rebuked the religious leaders of his day, for their social 'compromises', and self-serving doctrines.

Jesus understood the pervasiveness of evil.

Mark 8:15
And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.

Jesus understood the nature of evil.

Once a society say's to itself,

"Evil and wickedness is not so bad. We should not punish people harshly, for doing wicked things."

Then that society is, in effect, itself, embracing wickedness,
.....and in reality, that society is saying,

"See how 'compassionate' and 'tolerant' we are? We don't even punish people for vile, and cruel, and wicked acts."

locutius, can you explain the logic of that position, to me?

Because i just don't 'get it'.

"Forgive them for they know not what they do."

I would argue that,

If we tolerate evil, and wickedness, in others [among ourselves],
....WE WILL BECOME EVIL AND WICKED OURSELVES!

Look at how wicked the world is, today.

And look at how wicked our society is, today.

And today, ppl [including nominal Christians] just don't get that TRUTH, IN FACT THEY TURN AWAY FROM IT.

"Don't worry about evil, and wickedness, our God is loving and forgiving."

/sarc off

No, he is not!

Our God, is not forgiving, of unrepentant wickedness.

Ezekiel 33:11
Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

WE ARE TO REPROVE WICKEDNESS, AND SEPARATE OURSELVES FROM THE WICKED

Wicked behaviour should be exposed and reproved - that is scriptural.

And those who consider themselves to be God's children are called on, to separate themselves from the wicked - that is scriptural.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Ephesians 5:6
Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
7  Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
8  For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9  (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10  Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11  And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

1 Thessalonians 5:19
Quench not the Spirit.
20  Despise not prophesyings.
21  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22  Abstain from all appearance of evil.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15  And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16  And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18  And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Revelation 18:4
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2009 at 12:26pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print