Send Topic Print
Don't employ muslims (Read 12926 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Don't employ muslims
Jun 16th, 2009 at 9:18am

Quote:
A Muslim cocktail waitress has won a 3000 pound ($6090) compensation payout for having to wear a figure-hugging red dress she said made her feel "like a prostitute".

But a claim by Fata Lemes for about 17,000 pounds in damages was dismissed as "manifestly absurd" by a British employment tribunal, which rejected her claim that she was sacked.

Lemes, 33, worked at the Rocket Bar in Mayfair, central London, for barely a week last year. When she started, female staff wore a loose-fitting uniform, but she was told this would change in summer.

The summer outfit turned out to be a tight-fitting red dress - which she refused to wear, saying it was "disgusting".

An employment tribunal panel led by a judge agreed with her, contrasting it with what male employees of the bar had to wear. "Plainly, it related to her sex. It was gender-specific," they said in their ruling.

"The respondents did not introduce a summer uniform for male waiting staff. Unlike the women, the men were not required to switch to brightly coloured, figure-hugging garb."

Forcing her to wear the dress if she wanted to continue working at the bar "violated her dignity", the panel decided, and created a "humiliating" environment.

The panel found: "Her perception was that wearing the dress would make her feel as if she was on show, as if she was being presented as one of the attractions which the Rocket Bar was offering its customers.

"In our view that perception was legitimate and not unreasonable. We are reinforced in this conclusion by the striking contrast between the dress and the dark, loose-fitting attire which would remain the men's uniform."

But they did not accept her view that she was sacked from the bar, and refused to uphold her claim for 17,000 pounds compensation, saying it was "manifestly absurd".

British newspapers had earlier on Monday published a picture from the social networking website Facebook showing Lemes -- a photographer who does bar work to supplement her income - in a revealing white top, smiling at the camera.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/muslim-waitress-wins-payout-over-figurehugging-dress...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Don't employ muslims
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 9:20am

Muslim or not - these petty compensation cases are sending small businesses to the wall. If she didn't like it - she could have left. No doubt this bar was only trying to attract more business during the recession.

Next time the owner will know better.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:08am

I can see why they upheld her claim, but the question is, why would a muslim be working in a bar in the first place?

I dare say that she is probably no more religious than me, but saw a chance for scamming a few quid on the grounds of her "cultural" sensibilities.

While not solely restricted to "ethnic" groups, it is pretty commonly perceived by many that compo scams are an easy way to get some money.

You may remember the "Carlton Collar", where every second Italian in Lygon Street had a neck support collar on for whiplash, and "Brunswick Back", where walking sticks were the fashion accessory, all terribly necessary until the compo payment arrived. Grin

Compo has actually proved to be a medical miracle cure, in many cases. Grin

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:35am

mantra wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 9:20am:
Muslim or not -

Next time the owner will know better.

I just wander how owner can be better protected from prudent employees, if he obviously cannot discriminate against religion?

This case  stands close to cases when publican was responsible for drunk patron having vehicle accident as driver.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:43am

Mantra, I agree with you but I do think that the employer needs to give full disclosure of requirements and expectations, such as uniforms etc during the interview and give the person the opportunity then and there to decide if the job is for them.

Someone getting full time employment can very quickly make financial committments based on expecting a regular income. It could be a rental committment or something bought on HP, whatever.

A business that my wife and I are part owners of, have a young muslim woman as a member of staff. She wears her hadith make that hijab , is popular with the public and the other staff and is no problem at all. She is lovely.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:20am by locutius »  

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:46am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:08am:
I can see why they upheld her claim, but the question is, why would a muslim be working in a bar in the first place?

I dare say that she is probably no more religious than me, but saw a chance for scamming a few quid on the grounds of her "cultural" sensibilities.

Yeah, true. Presumably she was not wearing the hijab while serving alcohol and it doesn't appear she even sued on religious grounds.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:59am

I can't see why an Allah fearing Muslim woman would be working in a pub, let alone dressing herself as a "prostitute".

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:00am

This is part of the stealth jihad, the litigation jihad.

There will be more and more 'set ups' from muslims bringing claims of varying discriptions, alleging racism, discrimination etc, to get society to change to their way of doing things, and to intimidate and silence all critics and dissent.

Using the processes of democracy, to destroy our democracy.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:05am

Quote:

Agreed 100% mozza, she sounds like nothing but a scammer. But I think your claims that it's mostly an ethnic thing are just ridiculous. There's plenty of Aussies/Brits who do that kind of stuff also. In fact Western women were the ones who pioneered all this discrimination stuff based on sex, so the Muslim woman (who isn't much of a practising Muslim if she's working in a bar anyway) is more likely following Western trends rather than Islamic trends.

locutius,

Quote:
A business that my wife and I are part owners of, have a young muslim woman as a member of staff. She wears her hadith

Sure she doesn't wear her hijab? The hadith is a collection of books, and books generally don't look that good when worn.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:07am

If this was about a Muslim woman's 'right' to wear the hijab while serving alcohol in a pub to pissheads, then that would be a religious dimension. So far all we've got here is a woman who refused to wear clothes she found offensive.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:19am

abu_rashid wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:05am:
Quote:

Agreed 100% mozza, she sounds like nothing but a scammer. But I think your claims that it's mostly an ethnic thing are just ridiculous. There's plenty of Aussies/Brits who do that kind of stuff also. In fact Western women were the ones who pioneered all this discrimination stuff based on sex, so the Muslim woman (who isn't much of a practising Muslim if she's working in a bar anyway) is more likely following Western trends rather than Islamic trends.

locutius,

Quote:
A business that my wife and I are part owners of, have a young muslim woman as a member of staff. She wears her hadith

Sure she doesn't wear her hijab? The hadith is a collection of books, and books generally don't look that good when worn.

Yes, sorry it should have been hijab. Typing while talking to customers on the phone. Although being the book nut that I am, a woman wearing a collection of books would certainly attract my eye.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:21am

Calanen wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:00am:

This is what worries me most.
And have no idea how this can be stopped in a democratic way.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:23am

Happy wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:21am:

Not sure what you're worried about in this case. She wasn't demanding that cocktail waitresses wear a burka.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:53am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:07am:
If this was about a Muslim woman's 'right' to wear the hijab while serving alcohol in a pub to pissheads, then that would be a religious dimension. So far all we've got here is a woman who refused to wear clothes she found offensive.

That's probably about right. She might have been selfconscious about her body and the dress could have looked awful on her, but she found a loophole and used it to her advantage.

It's still very tough on a small business. Are they supposed to cater to the minority's sensibilities at the expense of their own survival?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:56am

mantra - as per my 1st suggestion - don't employ them.

that's one small business who won't again.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:13pm

It's quite ironic, that those who constantly hold up the banner of "Women's rights" etc. don't even blink an eyelid when it comes to women being employed strictly for their physical 'assets'. There's no problem using them as eye-candy to sell stuff, but don't you dare call for them to be treated as human beings with minds, that's sexist and oppressive!!

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:15pm

I would employ anyone who is clean, neat, has good people skills and the knowledge that is required for the position. If they have special requirements that would interfer with their job, I need to know about it during the interview. I would then use a trial period, if they were the best candidate, to see if those special requirements are workable for me.

If they aren't workable or if someone lets me know after they are employed that they need certain things that do not suit me then I am going to let them go. I will challenge them to show that it is anything but a business decision.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:17pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:56am:

Seems like you're confusing religiosity with personal choice.

As she worked in a bar, presumably without a hijab, she was hardly making a stand on religious grounds.

Are you saying a Christian woman or a non-religious conservative woman would never complain in equivalent circumstances?

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:19pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:23am:

Not sure what you're worried about in this case. She wasn't demanding that cocktail waitresses wear a burka.

Why religion was used for the case?

Quote:
A Muslim cocktail waitress has won a 3000 pound ($6090) compensation payout for having to wear a figure-hugging red dress she said made her feel "like a prostitute".

To make non muslims to take a step back?

I wander why prostitutes did not take case against her for making derogatory comment about their legitimate profession?

Maybe they should, for 17000 pounds!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:23pm

Happy wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:19pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:23am:

Why religion was used for the case?

Quote:

To beat up the story?

All it says was that she was Muslim. There was no claim that she referred to her religious sensibilities being offended.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:23pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:56am:

But this would be another case for sure:

DISCRIMINATION ON RELIGIOUS GROUNDS !!!

Don't you think that this would be straight into their hands?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:24pm

British newspapers had earlier on Monday published a picture from the social networking website Facebook showing Lemes -- a photographer who does bar work to supplement her income - in a revealing white top, smiling at the camera.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:27pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:23pm:
To beat up the story?

All it says was that she was Muslim. There was no claim that she referred to her religious sensibilities being offended.

It is quite possible that non-muslims latched on her religion to stir things up, since it was not mentioned in a case.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:29pm

Grendel wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:24pm:

More and more it looks like a quick buck or should I say quick pound.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:35pm

Happy wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:27pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:23pm:
To beat up the story?

It is quite possible that non-muslims latched on her religion to stir things up, since it was not mentioned in a case.

Most likely true. I imagine she'd have been laughed out of court if she'd claimed her religious sensibilities were offended while serving piss in a pisshouse.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #25 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:44pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:13pm:
It's quite ironic, that those who constantly hold up the banner of "Women's rights" etc. don't even blink an eyelid when it comes to women being employed strictly for their physical 'assets'. There's no problem using them as eye-candy to sell stuff, but don't you dare call for them to be treated as human beings with minds, that's sexist and oppressive!!

Unfortunately Abu - it would be a bit hypocritical for any female to demand their Women's Rights while working in a bar. They are surrounded by males and alcohol - not the easiest workplace to guarantee respect - although most bar attendants do get treated properly by most patrons.

I think this has to be a scam. If she valued her job, but didn't like the tightness of the dress - I can't see any reasonable employer not allowing her to modify it a little to suit her requirements.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #26 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:45pm

If she played the system and the system was stupid enough and gutless enough to let itself be played, then the opportunity is there to close a loophole.

What ever she wears in her private life has very little to do with what she finds apropriate as a work outfit, ESPECIALLY if that expectation was not disclosed at the interview or before the job was offered.

I have not seen a photo of the summer work uniform or of her in the white top.

I think she had a right to quit or a right to not wear the uniform. If she was sacked because she refused to wear the uniform then she has a right to sue for damages. Other factors may very well have applied as to the lessening of the damages asked for, things such as Familiarity etc.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 1:12pm

locutius wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:45pm:
If she played the system and the system was stupid enough and gutless enough to let itself be played, then the opportunity is there to close a loophole.

What ever she wears in her private life has very little to do with what she finds apropriate as a work outfit, ESPECIALLY if that expectation was not disclosed at the interview or before the job was offered.

I have not seen a photo of the summer work uniform or of her in the white top.

I think she had a right to quit or a right to not wear the uniform. If she was sacked because she refused to wear the uniform then she has a right to sue for damages. Other factors may very well have applied as to the lessening of the damages asked for, things such as Familiarity etc.

To credit of her case, she was asked to wear "summer uniform" (tight one) about week after she started to work, giving her weapon.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #28 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 1:46pm

What I said earlier about disclosure still applies but having just seen the dress, I think it is pretty tame. The settlement probably covered her out of pocket expenses because it called the majority of the claim for "Hurt feelings" absurd.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 10:22pm

Sprint it's a bit ironic that you are having a go at Muslims for standing up for women's rights.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #30 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 10:33pm

f/d - womens rights ??

she was after a buck and to ruin a small business.
send her back to her desert

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 10:38pm

The judge seemed to see it as a women's rights issue. Was the judge wrong?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 12:20pm

freediver wrote on Jun 17th, 2009 at 10:22pm:
Sprint it's a bit ironic that you are having a go at Muslims for standing up for women's rights.

But they are not standing up for 'women's rights'. They are standing up for destroying our culture, one axe stroke at a time.' Have you ever seen them criticise Saudi Arabia over women's rights? Or stand up for women's rights anywhere else?

That is they will use their 'special' requirements either through litigation, complaints, lobbying to Islamify everything. It's a shotgun approach that never tires, never sleeps, never takes a backward step. And like a dripping tap on granite, they are eventually wearing through the fabric of our society. It is what is called incrementalism.

Quote:
And many strokes, though with a little axe,
Hew down and fell the hardest-timbered oak.
-- William Shakespeare (1564-1616), King Henry VI
-- Act ii, Sc. 1

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #33 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 12:47pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 17th, 2009 at 10:33pm:
f/d - womens rights ??

she was after a buck and to ruin a small business.
send her back to her desert

More silly racist comments?

What desert should she be sent to sprint?

She has probably never been out of rainy old england, and endorsing sending her anywhere but her home, is as valid as an aboriginal saying all non indigenous aussies should be sent to whatever part of europe or elsewhere, their antecedents may have originated from.

If it were not reported that she was muslim, then you would not be so aggressively condemning this woman sprint, and making value judgements purely on a racial, or cultural basis, is unacceptable behaviour.

Like Calanen, you fear Islam, but also like him, you need to be more selective in what you seek to challenge, and not give in to the extremist position of just promoting hatred and intolerance for all muslims.
Islam does provide many legitimate targets for criticism, along the grounds of social inequity and injustice, and if you stick to highlighting examples of that nature, when they arise, you will present a much more acceptable, and understandable case for limiting the spread and influence of anyone who seeks to impose unacceptable standards into our society.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 12:53pm

Quote:
Like Calanen, you fear Islam, but also like him, you need to be more selective in what you seek to challenge, and not give in to the extremist position of just promoting hatred and intolerance for all muslims.

I don't 'fear' very much at all, if you mean that I am around cowering somewhere. I certainly am not. Dealing with a problem is not 'fearing' it. Why is confronting hatred and intolerance, hatred and intolerance? You know *nothing* about Islam at all - except that you keep chanting the mantras of Religion of Peace, blah blah.

So when you have no facts and evidence on which to base your opinion, except that you just *know* Islam is really a benevolent and nice religion. The truth is, that while there may be benevolent and nice indiviudal muslims, mainstream religious theory in Islam, is anything but.

Mainstream, ordinary, religious doctrine in Islam requires the:

- overthrow of all states and conversion to sharia;

- rule by muslims over all non-muslims, with such non-muslims being subdued as dhimmis;

- allegiance to the faithful, being the ummah, the nation of islam over everything else;

- slay the unbelievers wherever you find them, and existing in a continual state of warfare with the dar al harb, the house of war. All members of the faithful are to assist either in the jihad fighting, OR, and its a big OR, providing funds, resources, to the jihad, such as money through alms at the mosques, through zakat, provision of medical supplies and so on. So the number of muslims actually waging jihad, is many, many times more than the number actually fighting. For every soldier in the field, is supported by 10 in the home front as a general rule.

That's the truth about Islam, and that's not my 'prejudice' that is repeated by islamic scholars, everywhere, in their own damn words. But people like you have bought hook line and sinker the 'Religion of Peace' crapola, which was invented as a sop to the Lords of Petroleum, the House of Saud. So we fight only the effect, not the causes, and convice the general public, the stupid, gullible general public that 'true' Islam is really nice. All the while, the hat keeps going around to send alms to the jihadi brothers. But those people contributing money, are the 'moderate' muslims who believe in the mythical co-existence islam   Roll Eyes .

How about you actually read something and learn something, instead of just cluelessly chanting what you *know* without reference to any facts or evidence.

www.peacewithrealism.org

www.jihadwatch.org

www.memritv.org

Just watch something, take your ritalin so you can have an attention span that lasts more than 10 seconds, and READ and LEARN. Stop being so damn ignorant.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2009 at 1:03pm by Calanen »  

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #35 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 1:52pm

Quote:
I don't 'fear' very much at all, if you mean that I am around cowering somewhere. I certainly am not. Dealing with a problem is not 'fearing' it. Why is confronting hatred and intolerance, hatred and intolerance? You know *nothing* about Islam at all - except that you keep chanting the mantras of Religion of Peace, blah blah.

More lies, or ignorance, choose whichever you want, because either or both could apply in presenting my opinion as being anything like what you ascribe to me having.

Find any example of me ever promoting Islam, or ever calling it the religion of peace, or ever expressing any opinion of it, that could possibly be construed as a positive endorsement of it, and I will retract my statement that you are an ignorant liar, in trying to present any of those sentiments as my opinion of Islam.

I will explain it for you once more, I do see Islam as a backwards, regressive, and repressive religion.
I do see the extremist elements who promote Islamist extremism, or religious fundamentalism if you prefer to call it that, as very negative, dangerous elements which should be countered by all decent people, of all beliefs, including muslims.

What I do not endorse, is people like you, who use quotes from the koran, or other Islamic texts, to promote the belief that all muslims are the enemy of western civilisation, and must be treated as hostile enemies.

If we apply the same logic to the Bible, and Christians, as you do to The Koran, and Muslims, then we would also need to hate them, and consider them to be the enemies of any modern decent society, as we can find ample evidence of barbaric behaviour endorsed in the Christian texts as well.

Of course I appreciate that many more muslims, than christians, follow their teachings more literally, and dogmatically, but the fact of what their relative texts contain, is not as disparate as many would like to present.

We then have the fact that you, and people like you, often allude to the need for violent confrontation with muslims in general, as if it is an inevitable outcome, because of a widely held Islamic aspiration for total world domination.

I do accept that the lunatic fringe of Islamist zealots do indeed hold such fanciful notions, and deservedly receive our scorn and enmity as such, but I totally reject the notion that it is a common aspiration amongst all muslims, and attributing such notions to them is grossly unfair, and amounts to little more than baseless fear mongering.

I still contend, as I always have, that your everyday muslim is very little different to your everyday christian, no matter how religiously deluded they may be.
They just want to have a peaceful, and prosperous life, for themselves and their families, just like all average people want, and should be considered no differently than anyone else.

When you finally deside to drop your scattergun attacks on Islam, and focus your attention to the Islamist zealots, where it belongs, then you can expect to see yourself isolated amongst the ranks of the reactionary extremists who promote violence, intolerance and persecution, as the answer to violence, intolerance, and persecution, from Islamic extremists.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 2:20pm

Quote:
I do accept that the lunatic fringe of Islamist zealots do indeed hold such fanciful notions, and deservedly receive our scorn and enmity as such, but I totally reject the notion that it is a common aspiration amongst all muslims, and attributing such notions to them is grossly unfair, and amounts to little more than baseless fear mongering.

What are your facts and evidence for your belief that the Islamic zealots are just a 'lunatic fringe' and do not base their beliefs on mainstream Islamic theology? Just the 'vibe,'? How has this very very small, tiny, tiny minority of 'Islamic extremists' been able to finance their war against the largest Army in the world, all by themselves, for 8 years?

Please tell me, with references to mainstream Islamic theology, what is is 'moderate' Islam - and how it:

- requires peaceful coexistence with the rest of the world, including infidels, indefinitely;

- has loyalty to the nation state and not the ummah;

- doesn't want sharia, and believes in the equality of religions;

So who are these extremists? The government of Iran? The government of Saudi Arabia? Just Al Quada and the Taliban? The Muslim Brotherhood, CAIR?. What is the difference for you between moderate Islam and so called extremist Islam and WHY is there a difference?

I doubt you can tell me.

I am talking about the ideology of Islam, not 'muslims' although, one would think that the overwhelming majority of muslims would follow the accepted tenets of Islam. What you are saying in effect is either:

- Islam doesnt' say any of those things about violence, jihad, and warfare about unbelievers, it in effect says xxx (dont know what it's your fantasy, so please insert kumbaya here) and the Islamic 'extremists' are following the wrong Islam; OR

- Islam DOES say all of those violent things about jihad, yeah, but, we as muslims don't really follow that anymore and have just decided taht everyone can be friends.

Neither of those positions makes any sense, and is diametrically opposed to the literally thousands of scholarly opinions on the topic - which you ignore and will not read, no matter what I post - you just won't read it.

It's Galileleo Syndrome - no matter what the evidence, you just *know* that the sun revolves around the Earth and you will shout LA LA LA LA with your hands over your ears wherever you hear anything to the contrary.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #37 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 2:50pm

It's all just a matter of degree then, as I fall somewhere in between Mozza and Cal.

I agree with Mozz that by and large the average person who is a Muslim has more in common with the average person that is a Christian, than not. I do think that generally they are more devoted than the modern Western Christian, but also that there doctrine less amicable to Western freedoms.

A recognisable group that does not have democracy as a primary allegiance is not one I want to see in or growing in my country. And while they have a policy of adhereing to the political rules of the countries they inhabit, that can be turned on it's head in a heartbeat if a new Caliphe emerges. The Caliphes word is Law that overrides obligations of sceular citizenship.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2009 at 3:02pm by locutius »  

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 2:57pm

Suppose, Christians can crank up their literal interpretation of the Bible, if it says that there is only one God.

This way at least there will be force to deal with force.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #39 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 4:49pm

OK Calanen, if you can tear yourself away from jihad watch for a minute, then check out this report from the  "Pew Global Attitudes Project"

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?PageID=809

It shows views of muslims around the world, and has shown a decline in support for extremism since 2002.

It also shows that many muslims still support Bin Laden, and many still support suicide bombings.

In fact it gives lots of opinions from muslims, on lots of issues, and tries to make sense of the confusion that abounds, both about, and amongst, the muslim world.

It is not pushing any agenda, so it is not cherry picking just facts that support one extreme or another, so it is a good place to get a better understanding of the muslim world, with all it's complex variety.

One aspect of extremism that people like yourself rarely touch on, is it's strong anti-american element, and the fact that so many extremists are far more political than religious, yet you always seem to ascribe their acts of terrorism as being religiously inspired.

Personally I find the whole idea of actively vilifying any group, for the actions of an anonymous minority, quite unacceptable, and more to the point, because I share the concerns that so many have about extremism, I consider it highly counter productive, by dint of the fact that it further isolates people, thereby enhancing the US against THEM attitude, that extremists thrive on exploiting.

So as far as numbers of wacky muslims go, if I had to guess, I would guess about 25%, which coincidentally happens to be the same as the percentage of Americans who think they are living in the "End Days" from the bible, and will live to see Jesus' bodily return to earth.

Yet people still wonder why I am no fan of religion.

At least many muslims can use the excuse of never having received a proper education for accepting the ludicrous stuff they believe, god knows what excuse the americans have got.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #40 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 4:58pm

That link sounds interesting Mozz, thanks I will check it out.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 6:11pm

Yes it's all about 'Anti-Americanism'. What Anti-Americanism led the Muslims to invade Spain? Invade France?

What Anti-Americanism led muslims to attack the newly formed American Republic? No Israel then? No American foreign policy then? The siege of Vienna? The conquest of the Byzantine Empire? Invasion of the Holy Land?

All of these invasions and attacks were premised on the basis that Islam is required to attack non-believers using jihad, and this is fard ayn, or obligatory. What has happened in the interim period, such that these beliefs are no longer applicable? Where was this mythical Islamic reformation - I must have missed it. Let me know, where it is and who is a member of it. Surely you must know this, as you *know* for a fact that Islam does not believe these things anymore.

How is the jihad of muslims in Thailand - 'Anti-Americanism'. How is the jihad in the Phillippines, 'Anti-Americanism' or about Israel? Or how about in the rest of Europe, every Islamic terrorist plot? Or about the jihadi attacks in Africa? Why is that 'Anti-Americanism' or 'Anti-Israel.' What about the attacks on Christians throughout the Islamic world, Buddhists, Hindus - why are these expressions of Anti-Americanism and freedom for Palestine?

What about Muslims being over represented, by a long, long way in crimes throughout Europe and even Australia - especially crimes of rape against non-muslims. Is this a legitimate expression of anti-Americanism too? A quest for Palestinian freedom?

Who are the faceless millions giving billions in aid to terrorists? Do they only count as 'extremists' when they strap on a bomb?

What about the people who want to destroy our society with litigation, lobbying, bribery, tax evasion, crime, legal amendments, the stifling of free speech?

This PEW survery was skewed all to buggery to give the results it wanted, it is push polling at its finest. Even so, it statistically a huge number of muslims were interested in suicide bombing. How many were asked, is jihad against the unbelievers obligatory under Islam? How many were asked, would you choose loyalty to your muslim brothers over loyalty to the state? Precisely none.

None so blind as those who will not see.

Learn what Islam is, not what some Multicultist Pushpollers tell you it is. Have you watched Undercover Mosque? See what people are taught in the so called 'Moderate' Green Lane Mosque in the UK? Are they just random misunderstanders too?

Have you seen what children are taught in their own textbooks - more random misunderstanders? I think I did a thread on what is in Islamic textbooks - and it seems that this Islamophobe has had enough influence over the Islamic world to get them to teach their own children my prejudiced misunderstanding of Islam! How extraordinary!

See people like you just know, because you can sing 'The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music' about how wonderful, and special, and unique, and exotic Islam is..so of course its good, and everyone else who says there is anything bad about it, is just a mean Islamophobic race hating NAZI!

Never mind, that what I say about Islam, Al Quada says, the Taliban says, all the Islamic insurgents say, the Islamic scholars say, imams say in their sermons - even the Muslim Brotherhood says in its own strategic manual!  All of them must be Islamophobes too.

The only difference to me between moderate and extreme Islam are the methods - not the goal. The goal is still our destruction, moderate muslims would just prefer it was done through less dramatic means.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 9:19pm

Quote:
But they are not standing up for 'women's rights'. They are standing up for destroying our culture, one axe stroke at a time.'

So this is about Muslims in general, not about the case in the opening post?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:54am

freediver wrote on Jun 19th, 2009 at 9:19pm:
Quote:
But they are not standing up for 'women's rights'. They are standing up for destroying our culture, one axe stroke at a time.'

So this is about Muslims in general, not about the case in the opening post?

I think you need to be more precise in your question.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 4:26pm

So I need to be more precise when asking for clarification? You seem to think that the woman in the opening post, who made a stand for women's rights, is somehow irrelevant, because this thread is now about Muslims in general, so we can only talk about what Muslims do in general, not specifically.

I made a point about what this woman did, and the irony in criticisng a Muslim for defending women's rights, and you countered that 'they' are not standing up for women's rights. What did you mean?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 6:33pm

freediver wrote on Jun 20th, 2009 at 4:26pm:
So I need to be more precise when asking for clarification? You seem to think that the woman in the opening post, who made a stand for women's rights, is somehow irrelevant, because this thread is now about Muslims in general, so we can only talk about what Muslims do in general, not specifically.

I was not sure what you were asking. I could have guessed, but I may have been wrong.

This woman is not part of a woman right's group lobbying for more participation in government, that just happens to be a woman. This is an Islamic jihad put up, much like the 'Flying Imams' or 'Guide Dogs' or 'the Blog Wars'. Muslims launching attacks, usually well funded against targets of OUR society, the way we do things. In our society, we serve alcohol in bars, and women often wear attractive clothes when they serve the alcohol. Big fricking deal. Why is that a women's right question? If you dont want to work there, dont work there.

You will see more of these, like the rolling handicapped litigation you see in California. Handicapped person wheels themselves with lawyer in tow, to restaurant after restaurant, and files a complaint about there being no wheelchair access and saying 'I never felt so humiliated in all my life..it was like i wasn't human!'

She has targetted two things that muslims hate:

- alcohol and places that serve alcohol;
- women being able to dress other than in a burka.

This is the slowly slowly stealth jihad. Expect more of these put up jobs to target things that muslims hate in our society.

By the way have you seen the picture of the dress she was asked to wear? It was no big deal.  Why is it a 'woman's right' to wear anything other than the uniform at a place of work? They weren't asking her to wear a catsuit, just a red dress.

Quote:
I made a point about what this woman did, and the irony in criticisng a Muslim for defending women's rights,

She is not defending women's rights. She is seeking to destroy with the litigation jihad, another aspect of our culture. So eventually, it is hoped, women must wear neck to knee coverings to avoid this litigation. Or, muslim women can DEMAND to work in a bar and only serve soft drinks.

Quote:
and you countered that 'they' are not standing up for women's rights. What did you mean?

Muslims don't give a flying bugger* about women's rights. Their own community has honour killings, rampant domestic violence, women do all the housework and stay home from work. Its not a paragon of women's rights this Islamic model.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 6:44pm

You're looking for ghosts in empty bottles.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 7:12pm

Quote:
This woman is not part of a woman right's group lobbying for more participation in government

So if she had a badge she would be a legitimate women's rights campaigner, but without one she is just a Muslim trying to undermine our society? Since when do you have to join a group to stand up for your rights? This woman did more for women's rights than most women could ever hope to.

Quote:
This is an Islamic jihad put up

So the Jihadists are trying to undermine our society by defending women's rights? What will they think of next? Picking up litter?

Quote:
Muslims launching attacks, usually well funded against targets of OUR society, the way we do things.

You mean, instead of blowing up buildings? Why do I get the impression you consider this a bad thing?

Quote:
In our society, we serve alcohol in bars, and women often wear attractive clothes when they serve the alcohol. Big fricking deal.

Didn't you just say it was a Jihad? Now you don't care?

Quote:
Why is that a women's right question?

I believe the judge outlined that in his ruling.

Quote:
If you dont want to work there, dont work there.

It sounds like you could learn a few things about women's rights from the Jihadists.

Quote:
This is the slowly slowly stealth jihad. Expect more of these put up jobs to target things that muslims hate in our society.

But Calanen, nothing in this ruling will prevent people from serving alcohol. She wants to get a job serving alcohol - something you claim Muslims hate. Are you suggesting that Muslims are now seeking out jobs in industries they have a moral objection to in the hope that their employees will screw them over? The reality is that this woman will help women find safe work in the hospitality industry where they won't get exploited.

Quote:
Why is it a 'woman's right' to wear anything other than the uniform at a place of work? They weren't asking her to wear a catsuit, just a red dress.

I believe the judge outlined that in his ruling. There were some specific aspects to this case that undermined women's rights.

Quote:
So eventually, it is hoped, women must wear neck to knee coverings to avoid this litigation. Or, muslim women can DEMAND to work in a bar and only serve soft drinks.

I think you are letting your imagination get the better of you here Calanen. Or are you suggesting we prevent women from defending their rights in case Muslims take over our society?

Quote:
Muslims don't give a flying bugger* about women's rights.

This one obviously does. She is defending the right of women to work in the hospitality industry without being exploited.

Quote:
Their own community has honour killings, rampant domestic violence, women do all the housework and stay home from work. Its not a paragon of women's rights this Islamic model.

Perhaps that is why she left that community and joined ours, and fought to make our community a better place. This is a great example of integration benefitting our society. Maybe she has seen first hand where attitudes like your lead a society and fought to stop that happening in her newly adopted home.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 10:09pm

That's a rather cryptic post.

Those guys are good with what they know however.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 10:09am

To give you an example of what I mean, which is one of just many, many examples of the litigation jihad:

City corrals Christians at weekend Arab fest

Judge won't let ministry deliver tracts on public sidewalks

Posted: June 19, 2009
8:23 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

A federal judge has upheld a decision by festival organizers in  Dearborn, Mich., which is about 30 percent Muslim, to ban a Christian ministry from handing out religious information on public sidewalks.

The ruling came from U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmonds and affects this weekend's celebration but will not affect the free speech lawsuit over the event, filed by the Thomas More Law Center and the Becker Law Firm.

The case is being brought on behalf of the Arabic Christian Perspective, a Christian group that ministers to Muslims. According to the Thomas More Law Center, Pastor George Saieg and scores of his volunteers have visited Dearborn for the city's Arab International Festival to hand out religious information several times.

At estimated 30,000 of Dearborn's nearly 100,000 residents are Muslim.

While there never has been a disruption of the public peace during the five years the ministry has been attending, this year Dearborn police warned Saieg he and his group would not be allowed to walk the public sidewalks to hand out information and instead would be confined to a specific spot, the lawsuit said.

After negotiations in Dearborn failed to restore the Christians' rights, the lawsuit was filed.

Read stories of Christian courage and faith that overcomes in the newly updated "Foxe's Book of Martyrs"

"It's ironic that while Americans are applauding the free speech exercised by hundreds of thousands of Muslims on the streets of Iran, the city of Dearborn is restricting free speech rights Christians are attempting to exercise on the city's public sidewalks," said Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center.

"This case involves an important constitutional question regarding the government's ability to prohibit peaceful speech activities," said Law Center attorney Robert Muise, who argued for the Christians' rights before Edmonds.

"This preliminary ruling, while disappointing, will not affect the remainder of the case. We intend to pursue this as far as necessary," he said.

Mary Landroche, director of the city's department of public information, said the judge's ruling agreed the city had the right to establish rules for maintaining order.

"[She] did agree with the city we have an interest in controlling the crowds," Landroche told WND. She said the city's rules are "content-neutral," but she could not provide information about any other group impacted by the change.

But she said the city decided the public sidewalks are "part of the festival grounds."

Fay Beydoun of the American Arab Chamber of Commerce in Dearborn told the Detroit News there was "no problem" with the Christians being at the event, "but we do have to think about the safety of everyone."

The complaint said public streets are properly considered a traditional public forum.

"The Supreme Court has emphasized that the streets are natural and proper places for the dissemination of information and opinion; and one is not to have the exercise of his liberty of expression inappropriately abridged on the plea that it may be exercised in some other place," the complaint said.

The complaints cited a police statement that the Christians would be classified among "political parties and protesters," and would be limited to a single location.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=101595

So even though there is an accepted, RIGHT, to hand out literature of any kind guaranteed under the constitution, muslims will litigate to say this is Islamophobia, and not respecting my religion, and hate etc. The idea is to chip away, chip away, so we say, oh, yeah, First Amendment, yeah that doesn't apply whenever we might upset some muslims.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #50 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 11:19am

So it has nothing to do with the lady who stood up for women's rights?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 1:23pm

It's an example of a pattern, of which this example is but one of many.

She didn't stand up for women's rights. She stood up for the right of muslims, to bring their version of sharia puritanism to everyone - including the owner of a private business.

I don't see her outside the Saudi Embassy demanding that women be allowed to drive. Or protesting about women whose throats are slashed for not wearing a burka. Or protesting honor killings. Or demanding justice in the huge number of domestic violence cases in the muslim community in the UK.

Indeed, she was caught wearing a low cut top in her facebook pic, until she removed it. So it wasn't about wearing particular clothes. It was about Islam seeking to use our democracy to shove its brand of puritanical sharia down everyone's throats.

So her doing this was no more about 'women's rights', then my example above was about 'religious freedom' or the Flying Imams was about the 'rights of praying travellers'. All of this is part of an orchestrated campaign to Islamify the west.

Also - don't preach to me about how this judge could teach me a thing or two. But even the judiciary are often cowed by the politically correct clueless, like yourself, who would bay for their blood if they got the decision 'wrong'. Far better to give in than to say, hey, u know what, we want women to wear women's clothes. We want our waitresses to be presentable. We dont want them to wear burkas, sorry, but we dont.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 2:03pm

Calanen wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 1:23pm:
I don't see her outside the Saudi Embassy demanding that women be allowed to drive. Or protesting about women whose throats are slashed for not wearing a burka. Or protesting honor killings. Or demanding justice in the huge number of domestic violence cases in the muslim community in the UK.

You talk like you know her. Is she a practising Muslim? Does she pray five times a day on her way to the bar? Does she get home, doff all her westies and billow up in a burkha? Did she rant Allah hu akbar to the judge while in court? How big is her breast size? Does she take it up the khyber? Did she shave all her pubes? Does she have a tattoo of a new moon etched on her arse? What's her phone number? Does she have sisters? Where does she live?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 2:50pm

Calanen you don't seem to be aware of what the case was about. You can't force every self identified Muslim into your little Islamic Jihad box. If you at least argued based on the merits of this particular case it may be a bit easier to take you seriously, but you seem to think that a few examples of other Muslims doing those things somehow proves something about this woman. It doesn't. The way you carry on is no better than the Muslims you criticise. You insist we judge this woman by her religion, not by her actions.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:50pm

Quote:
he way you carry on is no better than the Muslims you criticise.

Really? Criticism of the litigation jihad is the same as suicide bombing? Moral relativism.

If you wish to know everything with absolute certainty, then you know nothing at all and can say nothing at all. She put her religion in issue, not me. She did. She didn't say, I cant wear this because I am a women's rights activist. She said I cant wear this because Im a muslim. Even though muslims dont work in bars.

If you want to be naive and ignore the evidence that's ok. There is a pattern, and I could spam the board with that pattern.

Using our democracy, to destroy our democracy.

She's also not the 'well known woman's rights activist', and further, the entrenched beliefs of islam are the direct opposite of women's rights. It's like saying that a member of the Communist Party was campaigning for capitalism.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #55 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 5:04pm

Calanen wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 4:50pm:
Quote:
he way you carry on is no better than the Muslims you criticise.

She put her religion in issue, not me. She did. She didn't say, I cant wear this because I am a women's rights activist. She said I cant wear this because Im a muslim. Even though muslims dont work in bars.

Did she? I haven't read that. Can you provide a source?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 5:47pm

Quote:
Really? Criticism of the litigation jihad is the same as suicide bombing? Moral relativism.

But you are not criticising suicide bombers. You are criticising muslim bartenders who stand up for women's rights. Equating this female employee with suicide bombers is remarkably similar to the justification used by suicide bombers.

Quote:
She didn't say, I cant wear this because I am a women's rights activist.

So only women's rights activists should get the benefits of the womens rights movement? You aren't making much sense here Calanen.

Quote:
She said I cant wear this because Im a muslim.

No she didn't. Try quoting her. Here are some excerpts from the article:

Quote:
for having to wear a figure-hugging red dress she said made her feel "like a prostitute".

Quote:
The panel found: "Her perception was that wearing the dress would make her feel as if she was on show, as if she was being presented as one of the attractions which the Rocket Bar was offering its customers.

"In our view that perception was legitimate and not unreasonable. We are reinforced in this conclusion by the striking contrast between the dress and the dark, loose-fitting attire which would remain the men's uniform."

It is interesting that you argue against knowing all the facts, since your entire argument rests upon throwing out every sinlge fact of the case and replacing it with 'She only did it because she is a Muslim who wants to undermine our society.' There is a big difference between accepting the unknowable and rejecting the knowable in favour of your fantasy.

Quote:
There is a pattern, and I could spam the board with that pattern.

Yes I noticed that. But what makes you think that pattern is relevant to this case? That is what you have failed to establish. You have substituted the facts of this case for an irrelevant 'pattern'.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:30pm

freediver wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 5:47pm:
[quote]Really? Criticism of the litigation jihad is the same as suicide bombing? Moral relativism.

Quote:
But you are not criticising suicide bombers. You are criticising muslim bartenders who stand up for women's rights. Equating this female employee with suicide bombers is remarkably similar to the justification used by suicide bombers.

You were saying the muslims I criticise. You didn't say, this muslim I criticise. I didnt equate her to a suicide bomber. So you were really saying, she is just better than me or something or I am no better than someone or something, or...

Quote:
]

Quote:

Alright, I will:

Quote:
‘I was brought
up a Muslim
and am not used to wearing sexually attractive clothes.’

Quote:
for having to wear a figure-hugging red dress she said made her feel "like a prostitute".

This is the red dress. Big deal:

It's not as if it were some scandalous piece of attire, say like THIS lady is wearing:

OMG - it's the same woman, on her Facebook page. Perhaps the ebil bar owner made her wear that at gunpoint.

Quote:
There is a big difference between accepting the unknowable and rejecting the knowable in favour of your fantasy.

I really would hope that it was my fantasy. But my fantasy is just too pervasive, expensive, and widespread to be considered a dream.

Excuse me that I don't believe her bona fides. I am perhaps less gullible than most. Comes from actually working in these tribunals and courts, for the last 15 years or so.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:34pm

Calanen wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:30pm:
Alright, I will:

Quote:
‘I was brought
up a Muslim

Quote:

Now why didn't you name the source, I wonder.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:38pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:34pm:
Alright, I will:

Quote:
‘I was brought
up a Muslim

Quote:

Now why didn't you name the source, I wonder.

Because it was a complete fabrication, oh woe is me, the consultant to Scotland Yard known as Helium Blimp or Donut Man has caught me out again!

I might put it in. Might not though, because I resent the implication of fabrication.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #60 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:40pm

Calanen wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:38pm:
Because it was a complete fabrication, oh woe is me, the consultant to Scotland Yard known as Helium Blimp or Donut Man has caught me out again!

I might put it in. Might not though, because I resent the implication of fabrication.

Oh, you got it from somewhere, shortarse... But from only one source... eh shortarse...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:41pm

Quote:
‘I was brought up a Muslim and am not used to wearing sexually attractive clothes.’

But this is not what you claimed she said. Just in case you have forgotten, this is what you posted:

Quote:
She said I cant wear this because Im a muslim.

Do you see that once you get over the fact that she admits to being a Muslim (actually, raised as a Muslim), she is not actually claiming this as the basis for her litigation.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:52pm

f/d - being a muslim is the basis of her legal jihad.

Quote:
................because Im a muslim. ......

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #63 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:55pm

S / Arse - Good luck hunting down that lizard baby. That paper reported him born somewhere round Canberra.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:56pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:52pm:

Quote:

Thanks sprint. That is exactly how Calanen's argument comes across.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:04pm

Quote:

Quote:

Alright, I will:

Quote:
‘I was brought
up a Muslim

Quote:

This is the red dress. Big deal:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2553/reddresss.jpg

It's not as if it were some scandalous piece of attire, say like THIS lady is wearing:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5278/facebookphoto.jpg

OMG - it's the same woman, on her Facebook page. Perhaps the ebil bar owner made her wear that at gunpoint.

Quote:
There is a big difference between accepting the unknowable and rejecting the knowable in favour of your fantasy.

I really would hope that it was my fantasy. But my fantasy is just too pervasive, expensive, and widespread to be considered a dream.

Excuse me that I don't believe her bona fides. I am perhaps less gullible than most. Comes from actually working in these tribunals and courts, for the last 15 years or so.

Can bar owner appeal the sentence?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #66 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:23pm

Quote:

I doubt it would be worth his time or the money to appeal such a small amount.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:31pm

mantra wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:23pm:
Quote:

It looks to me that principle is more important than money.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 11:39pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:40pm:
Calanen wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:38pm:

Oh, you got it from somewhere, shortarse... But from only one source... eh shortarse...

You're only 5cm taller than me, fatarse. And I'd still put you on your arse, any time. We could even put you being happy slapped on Youtube for entertainment purposes. Should I hit him again? yeah, maybe just one more time. Ok, now that's just cruel, he is just a big fat douchebag after all.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 11:42pm

He can appeal to the Employment Appeal Tribunal, but it's hard to know whether it would be worth the bother without seeing the actual decision which is not, to my knowledge, published. EAT decisions are, but not first instance.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #70 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:07am

Calanen wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 11:39pm:
You're only 5cm taller than me, fatarse. And I'd still put you on your arse, any time. We could even put you being happy slapped on Youtube for entertainment purposes. Should I hit him again? yeah, maybe just one more time. Ok, now that's just cruel, he is just a big fat douchebag after all.

Shortarse is gettin upset.  Grin
Grin

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #71 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:19am

He looks tough and mean though Helian - I wouldn't want to bump into him on a dark night.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #72 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:22am

mantra wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:19am:
He looks tough and mean though Helian - I wouldn't want to bump into him on a dark night.

You mean, trip over him.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #73 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:26am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:22am:

You mean, trip over him.

Grin Grin Grin

This is getting too nasty now. I hope Calanen takes it in good humour.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #74 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:32am

mantra wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:26am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:22am:

You mean, trip over him.

Grin Grin Grin

This is getting too nasty now. I hope Calanen takes it in good humour.

It's all good humour, mantra. Only a child would be offended.

IP Logged

skippy
Ex Member

Reply #75 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:39am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:52pm:

Quote:

Everything a Muslim does is a jihad to you sprint, did you ever think maybe she really didn't want to show off her tits or legs because she was raised with strict morals?
Would you bitch so hard if she was the daughter of a Baptist minister?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #76 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:46am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:32am:
It's all good humour, mantra. Only a child would be offended.

Now that is true and I'm sure Calanen will take it in the good spirited manner that was intended.  

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #77 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:54am

Happy wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 8:31pm:
Quote:

The bar already lost on principle. Take out the word Muslim from the story and it is still likely to be a fair judgement.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #78 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:00am

skippy Quote:
sprintcyclist wrote on Yesterday at 6:52pm:

Quote:

Everything a Muslim does is a jihad to you sprint, did you ever think maybe she really didn't want to show off her tits or legs because she was raised with strict morals?
Would you bitch so hard if she was the daughter of a Baptist minister?

so why get a job in a bar if she has so strict morals ?
go and live in iran, if that's her thing.
england is a western society. Live a western life there.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:08pm

Quote:
so why get a job in a bar if she has so strict morals ?

What makes you think she has strict morals sprint? She is more than happy to work in a bar. And why do you think that working in a bar requires low moral standards?

Quote:
go and live in iran, if that's her thing.

Why would that be her thing?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:11pm

locutius wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:54am:
Quote:

The bar already lost on principle. Take out the word Muslim from the story and it is still likely to be a fair judgement.

Did u see the dress? It was no big deal. I did post a photo. It was just a grab for cash, with a bit of litigation jihad thrown in. FD and the other kumbaya mofos were dumb enough to fall for it, no wonder muslims laugh at us.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #81 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:14pm

They can laugh all they want at our rights and freedoms. I will still stand up for them. I certainly would not let the religion a person grew up with cloud my judgement on the issue.

BTW Calanen, nice to see you have remembered what the thread is about.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:09pm

freediver wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:14pm:
They can laugh all they want at our rights and freedoms. I will still stand up for them. I certainly would not let the religion a person grew up with cloud my judgement on the issue.

BTW Calanen, nice to see you have remembered what the thread is about.

No you'll just let your judgment instead be clouded by loyalty to your God the Holy Multiculti.

I know what the thread is about. You think it's just about this woman. It's not, its about Islam, everywhere. Where is the Hindu saying she cant wear her sari to work? Where is the Budhist saying he can't shave his head?

You won't even consider any other alternative, so blinded is your consciousness by loyalty to the Holy Multiculti. You haven't read very much FD, of anything. Read a few books first and then form an opinion. But of course you don't need to read anything, because you already KNOW the answer, and the answer, is infallible - it came from the Holy Multiculti - which is never wrong.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #83 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:13pm

You'll defend a face slashing psychopath but draw the line at all Muslims?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #84 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:38pm

Burqa rage - No, madam, it's you who have offended MY values.

"An employment tribunal found that Miss Lemes had 'overstated her trauma'. You can say that again. Her compensation claim was 'manifestly absurd'.

Look at her facebook picture of herself and decde whether she is really that concerned about displaying her, er, secondary sexual characteristics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1193520/ALLISON-PEARSON-No-madam-burkh...

This is a slghtly subtler version of the hijabi hairdresser or the niqabi school teacher or the ludicrously bearded policeman and all the rest of them. Shakedown artists with crap claims and crap excuses. And they are not thrown out of court on their arses because they have learned the one important rule of multcultural sensblities for immigrants - make sure you come across as a victim in your own mind.  Pretend you have 'issues' especially of the self-exteem variety.

"Yet, only yesterday, a Metropolitan Police chief admitted the bill for translation services for criminals and victims was set to soar to a staggering £20million by 2012.  Scotland Yard blames a growth in 50 distinct communities of more than 10,000 people and having to deal with more than 300 languages.

At no point in the statement is there any mention of compulsory English lessons. No suggestion of people needing to fit in with our ways, rather than us with theirs. I feel a small attack of Burkha Rage coming on."

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #85 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 11:11pm

Quote:
make sure you come across as a victim in your own mind.  Pretend you have 'issues' especially of the self-esteem variety.

Exactly. That's how they're taught to get ahead in our generous lands.
Just cry victim and you can secure preferential treatment and privileges that the original citizens have no access to.
Never ever can the citizens cry foul, as this will tattoo them with an ugly label. So whilst we patiently wait for everybody to be nice and play fair, we are sh!tting in the faces of those who have made sacrifices in the past, and of those who will need to make sacrifices in the future.i

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #86 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 11:40pm

Some US statesman said something along the lines of, if you give up your freedom, in the pursuit of security, you end up with neither.

It is the point FD is trying to make to Calanen, and which I have tried to make, that no matter what we may think of the political ideals of Islam, to deny it's right to exist, to assert that we must deny muslims the same rights as all other citizens, is to throw away the very principles we are supposed to be fighting for.

It is not a matter of fighting fire with fire, because we do see our government directly confronting centres of Islamist extremism, and that is a legitimate way to counter violent extremism.

Unfortunately, people like Calanen share more in common with the Islamists, than they do with the democracies that stand against them, for he, like those Islamist extremists, seeks to demonise a whole culture, and promote intolerance towards it, and tries to justify the idea, that it is just and proper, to call for the violent destruction of that culture.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #87 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:10am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 11:40pm:
the same rights as all other citizens

That would be fine and dandy. But we are recognising muslims' right not to be offended, for example, a right not extended to an awful lot of other citizens.

For starters, I find the niqab on my streets deeply offensive. Where do I do for compo?

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:33am by Soren »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #88 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:30am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 11:40pm:
Unfortunately, people like Calanen share more in common with the Islamists, than they do with the democracies that stand against them, for he, like those Islamist extremists, seeks to demonise a whole culture, and promote intolerance towards it, and tries to justify the idea, that it is just and proper, to call for the violent destruction of that culture.

Equivalance and equivocation are stupid in this case. There is no "call for the violent destruction of that culture", as you put it (an offensive imputaton).

I don't see hordes of Calanens (or Sorens, for that matter) kidnapping and beheading, burning embasses or killing their own daughters and migrating to Egypt and hatching plans to blow up stuff. To make these acts equivalent to being alarmed by them is deeply stupid, I am very sorry to say.  To imply, as you do, that the likes of Theo van Gogh and Hirsi Ali have anything in common with Bouyari is the worst kind of unthinking, reflexive mush.  

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 2:12am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:13pm:
You'll defend a face slashing psychopath but draw the line at all Muslims?

You're an idiot.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #90 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 2:31am

I realise that I will have to say why you're an idiot, because you don't know.

I was not engaged to represent this woman, so I do not have to. The same way a mechanic does not have to run around the neighbourhood and fix people's cars that don't come to his shop.

More fundamentally, I will represent anyone who has a case and pays the bill. And in the case of muslims, they are my best customers for criminal cases. All victims of racial prejudice no doubt.

The second thing is, everyone gets to be represented, no matter what the crime they are charged with. I am not the justice system - and it's astonishing that a supposed 'adult' (but perhaps with an infantile approach to the separation of powers) would say that I am meant to throw someone's case just because they are charged with a notorious crime. Would make life easier, just get rid of the courts, and send everyone to my office 'Yeah guilty sergeant, just lock him up..erm, 10 years I reckon...'

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #91 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:14am

Calanen wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 2:31am:
I realise that I will have to say why you're an idiot, because you don't know.

I was not engaged to represent this woman, so I do not have to. The same way a mechanic does not have to run around the neighbourhood and fix people's cars that don't come to his shop.

More fundamentally, I will represent anyone who has a case and pays the bill. And in the case of muslims, they are my best customers for criminal cases. All victims of racial prejudice no doubt.

The second thing is, everyone gets to be represented, no matter what the crime they are charged with. I am not the justice system - and it's astonishing that a supposed 'adult' (but perhaps with an infantile approach to the separation of powers) would say that I am meant to throw someone's case just because they are charged with a notorious crime. Would make life easier, just get rid of the courts, and send everyone to my office 'Yeah guilty sergeant, just lock him up..erm, 10 years I reckon...'

I realise that I will have to say why you're a germ, because you don't know, being a hung up coward (or as you might define yourself, a tough guy but only on the condition of anonymity on the internetz).

While you’re not forced to take up every potential client, turns out your best customers are Muslims. Whether ‘best’ means ‘most’ or ‘most worthy’ or ‘most honourable’, or most [insert virtue here] you don’t make clear. But whichever, despite your general tantrums about Muslims (against whom you demand we all take up arms, no less), in whom you see a jihad genie in jay-walking, you now admit your best customers (Muslims) have a case and (presumably) you believe them to have a case because they could well be innocent. So, while we’re bearing arms against them at your behest, you’d be defending them against any actions they took against our unjust actions. And why wouldn’t you throw the case of a Muslim client? On your nice days, you want them arrested, incarcerated then expelled for the crime of being Muslim, on your worst. ‘cleansed’ from Australian society by any means necessary… Wouldn’t it be a very small moral step for you to betray their trust to ensure they’re convicted, given what you would have done to them?

Probably its not only your height, ‘up with which’ you will not put.

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:21am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:40am

I tried. The machinations of our justice system are just beyond you.

Like the mathematics which hold up our bridges, or the theories of flight that keep our planes in the sky - things work by magic for a simpleton such as yourself.

Keep eating, and enjoy your clueless haze.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #93 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:44am

Calanen wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:40am:
I tried. The machinations of our justice system are just beyond you.

Like the mathematics which hold up our bridges, or the theories of flight that keep our planes in the sky - things work by magic for a simpleton such as yourself.

Yes, of course... It's not that you're gutless, it's the system.

What other defence would a coward use?
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:58am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #94 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:18am

Calanen wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:11pm:
locutius wrote on Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:54am:
Quote:

Did u see the dress? It was no big deal. I did post a photo. It was just a grab for cash, with a bit of litigation jihad thrown in. FD and the other kumbaya mofos were dumb enough to fall for it, no wonder muslims laugh at us.

Locutius' previous comments
Quote:
Mantra, I agree with you but I do think that the employer needs to give full disclosure of requirements and expectations, such as uniforms etc during the interview and give the person the opportunity then and there to decide if the job is for them.

That's the basis of my support for the woman recieving compensation, period. I don't care if she is a Muslim, Christian or a Martian. She is either a citizen, resident or legally able to work in Britain and is therefore protected by certain rules of employment.

Rightfully Justice was blind, and awarded her an appropriate claim. It also appropriately dismissed the larger quanity of her claim of personal psychological injury as ludicrous. Some of the so called injury was probably inspired by her "strict Muslim upbringing" and a lawyer no doubt, as was dismissed for what it was...BS.

For these reasons, I see no problem in her recieving $3000 of a $17000 ?? claim.

Quote:
Someone getting full time employment can very quickly make financial committments based on expecting a regular income. It could be a rental committment or something bought on HP, whatever.

Quote:

If she wasn't made aware of the uniform beforehand too bad for the employer. They should be more careful next time. How many times had they gotten away with it I wonder.

Quote:
What I said earlier about disclosure still applies but having just seen the dress, I think it is pretty tame. The settlement probably covered her out of pocket expenses because it called the majority of the claim for "Hurt feelings" absurd.

Tame, but not the same as the uniform she was prepared to wear. That is the key point.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #95 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:27am

How does the small comapny inform their employees of what uniforms they may be requested to wear next season ?

What did she think she was going to wear - a full length black gown with a single hole for one eye ?

it's a pub in a western society.  keep the customer happy, show us what you have got.

she should have got NO compensation and her forehead branded "Sues employees"

wonder how this goes on her resumee??

stupid muslim bitch

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #96 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:31am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:27am:
How does the small comapny inform their employees of what uniforms they may be requested to wear next season ?

What did she think she was going to wear - a full length black gown with a single hole for one eye ?

it's a pub in a western society.  keep the customer happy, show us what you have got.

she should have got NO compensation and her forehead branded "Sues employees"

wonder how this goes on her resumee??

stupid muslim bitch

Come on Sprint, don't pretend you don't know better. She was not demanding she be allowed to wear the hijab.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:38am

Quote:
Tame, but not the same as the uniform she was prepared to wear. That is the key point.

So what. Do cops get to choose what they wear? The Army? Doctors and nurses? Hotel employees, ie 5 star hotels? Religious freedom also means, to be free of religion. If I take the risk of owning a bar, I want my staff to be presentable, and that is all that dress was.

She was taking the proverbial, and the leftists fall for it again.

See people like FD, Helian and Moazzak would have been key people in history. The same spineless types are always about. They would have been the people who:

- argued that a proportionate response was needed to the Empire of Japan bombing Hawaii, ie, more discussion and perhaps a small raid on one of their harbours;

- argued for greater engagement with Hitler, and that criticism of the Third Reich's ideology was 'Germanophobic' and intolerant;

- said that greater dialogue was needed with King George II during the American Revolution, as he was lining people up by the hundreds to be shot.

History needs its cowards, the naysayers, the Rodney King types 'Why can't we all get along.' But history doesn't remember them, it remembers people who actually knew what they stood for. Collectively, you stand for nothing except some poorly defined 'multiculti' idea, which means that anyone can p*** on you from a great height and you will believe it's mana from heaven.

Now you say that an ideology that wants you dead, your society dead, and you enslaved is actually something we need to discuss and embrace, have a bit of a love in talkfest. You don't know anything about the philosophy yourself, having never read anything, and prepare a PR brief to say anything about it is 'good' without having the facts and the evidence to back it up.

But the Holy Multiculti says that TRUE Islam is very good, and benevolent. Never mind that wherever Islam is in power, there is tyrannical despotism. Never mind that Western jails are overflowing with muslims committing crimes that far outstrip their percentage of the population. Never mind that the regularly accepted articles of the faith are wholly against all western ideas of democracy, equality and justice. Multiculti says Foreign Equals Good - and that is a far more important value, than say justice, or being civilised.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #98 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:26pm

Calanen wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:38am:
Quote:

So what. Do cops get to choose what they wear?

Yes, because they know what they are going to wear beforehand.

Religious freedom also means, to be free of religion.

Agreed. Her compensation wasn't based on religion as far as I can see. That part of it seemed to have failed. You should be glad.

If I take the risk of owning a bar, I want my staff to be presentable, and that is all that dress was.

That is both your and my opinion, but she saw it differently and so did the judge.

She was taking the proverbial,

Prossibly

and the leftists fall for it again.

Roll Eyes not the leftist crap again.

History needs its cowards, the naysayers, the Rodney King types 'Why can't we all get along.' But history doesn't remember them, it remembers people who actually knew what they stood for. Collectively, you stand for nothing except some poorly defined 'multiculti' idea, which means that anyone can p*** on you from a great height and you will believe it's mana from heaven.

You mean the cowards that even though their system is under attack would rather hold on to hard fought for freedoms for all citizens, rather than just abandon them because that is easier?

Now you say that an ideology that wants you dead, your society dead, and you enslaved is actually something we need to discuss and embrace, have a bit of a love in talkfest. You don't know anything about the philosophy yourself, having never read anything, and prepare a PR brief to say anything about it is 'good' without having the facts and the evidence to back it up.

You're sure of that are you?

But the Holy Multiculti says that TRUE Islam is very good, and benevolent. Never mind that wherever Islam is in power, there is tyrannical despotism. Never mind that Western jails are overflowing with muslims committing crimes that far outstrip their percentage of the population. Never mind that the regularly accepted articles of the faith are wholly against all western ideas of democracy, equality and justice. Multiculti says Foreign Equals Good - and that is a far more important value, than say justice, or being civilised.

Sure just like Christendom and feudalism was for centuries and all have little to do with this case or others like it. I hold all fundamental religions and extremists in small regard. And think most religions flawed, Islam particularly so but I can differentiate between an issue of Justice and an issue of Religion. As did the judge in this situation.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #99 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:58pm

what a load of tripe.

so if anyone disagrees with an employer, they can sue them for damages ???

far cough

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #100 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 1:43pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:58pm:
what a load of tripe.

so if anyone disagrees with an employer, they can sue them for damages ???

far cough

Sprint, don't try and simplify this to the absurd. That is not what the case was about at all, as I hope you are able to fathom. Nor what support for the ruling is about.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #101 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:25pm

Don't get personal Calanen, Helian etc.

Quote:
I know what the thread is about. You think it's just about this woman. It's not, its about Islam, everywhere. Where is the Hindu saying she cant wear her sari to work?

Calanen, if this woman had been raised a Christian or a Hindu, would you bat an eyelid? This has nothing to do with traditional Muslim clothes. It is about western standards of what is acceptable to force female employees to wear. There are plenty of non-Muslims also standing up for our rights, but only when a Muslims does it do you concoct an absurd conspiracy around it. It is you who is singling someone out based on their religion, or ex-religion

Quote:
You won't even consider any other alternative

I did consider it. It took about 3 seconds to realise how absurd your alternative is. This is nothing at all like what a conservative Muslim would compaign for. It's as if you would accuse someone of Muslim bias because they only eat pork cooked a certain way. Your argument just does not make sense. In order to defeat your enemy, you must first know them.

Quote:

It was 'next week' Sprint, not next season.

Quote:

How about the one she agreed to wear when she took up the job? Or one of a similar standard?

Quote:
it's a pub in a western society.  keep the customer happy, show us what you have got

She seems to be more in tune with western standards than you sprint. Times have changed.

Quote:
So what. Do cops get to choose what they wear?

Yes, when they choose to become a cop. If the police force suddenly decided femal offciers had to wear miniskirts, they would have a justifiable claim, just as this particular woman did. Why is it so hard to understand that this is a western standard being applied here, not a Muslim one?

Quote:
See people like FD, Helian and Moazzak would have been key people in history. The same spineless types are always about. They would have been the people who:

Once again Calanen, you have forgotten what this thread is about. How is it brave to attack women's rights in our society on the grounds that you fear it to be part of a grand conspiracy by people opposed to women's rights? You are not fighting the Germans, or the Japanese. You are fighting justice. Which is why you cannot make a sound argument on the merits of this case alone, but have to constantly conjure up fantasies and grand conspiracies to justify your position. You are not giving up rights in response to a genuine threat, but in response to an imaginary one. This woman is not Hitler. Stopping her from getting justice will not help in any way to subdue the threat of violent Jihad. All it would achieve is undermining our rights and bringing our society closer to the one you despise.

Quote:
Now you say that an ideology that wants you dead, your society dead, and you enslaved

Wow, enslaved and dead? Again Calanen, you have simply forgotten what the thread is about. This woman doesn't want me dead. She wants to be treated with respect in the workplace.

Quote:
is actually something we need to discuss and embrace, have a bit of a love in talkfest

You still haven't explained how standing up for women's rights is adopting Muslim standards. Remember, it is not what women choose to wear that is the crucial difference, but their freedom to choose. You are undermining that, just as conservative Islam does. You are on the wrong side.

Quote:
But the Holy Multiculti says that TRUE Islam is very good, and benevolent. Never mind that wherever Islam is in power, there is tyrannical despotism.

Again, not what this case or this topic is about.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:31pm

in her own words .....

Quote:

it has ALL to do with her being a muslim.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #103 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:32pm

Sprint, do you realise that it doesn't count when you quote someone out of context? BTW, she did not say that. That sounds more like a paradoy of an argument than something you actually believe.

If this lady really is a Muslim, then she is an example of the sort of Muslim our society can live with. She can work in a bar and stand up for women's rights.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #104 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:40pm

she sues her small employer for an excessive amount.

as she says she is a muslim, i assume she is and I say ship her out.
back to your sands and banned from driving.

what is a muslim doing serving alcohol and pork crisps !!!!!!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #105 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:43pm

Here's Ms Lemes in that red dress and on Facebook NOT in that red dress, looking tired and emotional as well as uncovered.... Hmmmm.

She looks much more decent in the red dress, no?
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:12pm by Soren »  

fata_lemes.jpg (31 KB | 32 )
fata_lemes.jpg

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #106 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:44pm

It's a pity we cant get the transcript of the hearing, I'm sure she would have said, muslim as every second word in evidence.

There is also no judge in the Employment Tribunal. It's a legally qualified 'chair' and two lay people. The decisions do not appear to be published, only those on Appeal, which is heard by a judge.

Sorry if I do not accept the 'bona fides' of this woman saying she is standing up for women's rights. But having done this for 15 years or so, I've seen a lot of a particular class of people crying wolf. It's not only them, but they are amongst the worst offenders.

Read the 'Stealth Jihad' by Robert Spencer. This sort of thing has to be stomped on from a great height.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #107 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:56pm

Soren wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:43pm:
Here's Ms Lemes in that red dress and on Facebook NOT in that red dress, looking tired and emotional as well as uncovered.... Hmmmm.

That is such a basic conservative dress - I can't believe she was awarded compensation over that. I imagined some skin tight, silky dress split up the sides and down the front. She's a con woman and not just because she's a Muslim. I doubt a true Muslim would have worked there in the first place.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #108 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:41pm

Quote:
as she says she is a muslim, i assume she is and I say ship her out.

So you don't care about the case at all then?

Quote:
Sorry if I do not accept the 'bona fides' of this woman saying she is standing up for women's rights.

You don't have to. You don't need to be a bona fide anything to stand up for women's rights. Even men can do it. For some reason you keep making this point, even though it makes no sense and this has been explained to you many times. Can you explain why you need some kind of qualification to stand up for our rights?

Quote:
Read the 'Stealth Jihad' by Robert Spencer. This sort of thing has to be stomped on from a great height.

Can you explain how it is relevant to this case? Do you think the global Jihad conspiracy is so grand that we need to throw justice out the window every time a Muslim is involved, just in case it is some kind of trick? Why does it not boil down to simple issues of justice rather than the religion of the people involved?

Quote:
I doubt a true Muslim would have worked there in the first place.

Yes mantra, something that seems to have escaped those who see a Jihadi behind every corner.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 12:02am

Quote:
Do you think the global Jihad conspiracy is so grand that we need to throw justice out the window every time a Muslim is involved, just in case it is some kind of trick?

Justice? Justice for the last, what 400 years says that the master can tell their servants to wear anything they want. Serving barmaids in English taverns wore far more revealing gear in the 1700s than they do now, and more so than her. So don't talk to me about justice.

Justice says, wear the damn dress and shut up while you do it. And pray to Allan the Moon God wearing whatever you want, or open your own damn bar.

This was just a put up job, as I said, in the beginning. Like the professional litigator in Cali who pushes a disabled person from restaurant to restaurant with a template claim form saying 'I felt like a non person and I was never so humiliated when there was no wheelchair access.'

You are a naive fool. But people like you have existed and been around, as long as there have been people and critical moments. You would have been right there with Pig Iron Bob saying that the pig iron will NEVER come back as bullets and that anyone who says otherwise is a dirty stinking race hating Japanophobe and Emperorphobe.

And what do you know, then we were at war. And the whole West is at war.

Read something. Just something, I'll even buy the damn book for you if you are hard up for cash. Just read the damn thing and speak from facts and evidence instead of cluelessness and the vibe about how all people are really good and its a tiny tiny minority of extremists.

I thought that too (although I had my doubts) until I started reading all this stuff, and I am an educated guy. Islam is some scary scary stuff. That's regular Islam, not some radical Islam. Learn about it and speak from knowledge, not ignorance.

You are like the Pope and Cardinals telling Galileo that you KNOW the earth is the centre of the universe. How about you just look at the data first, and then make up your mind.

I am confident that i can win on the facts and evidence with anyone about the danger of Islam. But the argument never gets that far, there is only emotional multicultist rhetoric for daring to speak multiculti heresy.

Open house seems like a great idea, but there is always some d*** that puts cigarettes out on the sofa and pi**** in your pool. Our gatecrasher is Islam, and pretending it is benign is not going to stop it from wrecking our house, like it has wrecked, every other house it has ever stopped off at.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 12:06am

mantra wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:56pm:
Soren wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:43pm:

That is such a basic conservative dress - I can't believe she was awarded compensation over that. I imagined some skin tight, silky dress split up the sides and down the front. She's a con woman and not just because she's a Muslim. I doubt a true Muslim would have worked there in the first place.

Man you said something sensible.

FD in his drive to be as new age sensitive ghey as he possibly can be as fallen over himself to support this wannabe. It was a put up job. A put up job. A scam. A grab for cash.

Muslims DONT work in bars. They don't even go to bars. Her and her muslim friends will be laughing their asses off over this, and most of all FD, they will be laughing at people like you - who even when our system has been brazenly scammed - you are out their peddling the multiculti spin to protect them! How good is that. They cannot lose.

Fortunately, there are people about who still have a pair. Maybe you can get some cosmetic ones made up.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #111 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 7:54am

Calanen wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 12:06am:
Fortunately, there are people about who still have a pair. Maybe you can get some cosmetic ones made up.

If he gives you the wool, you could knit him a pair.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #112 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 7:58am

Calanen wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 12:02am:
This was just a put up job, as I said, in the beginning. Like the professional litigator in Cali who pushes a disabled person from restaurant to restaurant with a template claim form saying 'I felt like a non person and I was never so humiliated when there was no wheelchair access.'

So she may not be a jay-walk jihadi, then.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #113 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:06am

Calanen wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:44pm:
I'm sure she would have said, muslim as every second word in evidence.

And easily rebutted by asking what a 'devout' Muslim was doing serving piss in a pub.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #114 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:41am

Quote:
Do you think the global Jihad conspiracy is so grand that we need to throw justice out the window every time a Muslim is involved, just in case it is some kind of trick?

Justice? Justice for the last, what 400 years says that the master can tell their servants to wear anything they want. Serving barmaids in English taverns wore far more revealing gear in the 1700s than they do now, and more so than her. So don't talk to me about justice.

Justice says, wear the damn dress and shut up while you do it. And pray to Allan the Moon God wearing whatever you want, or open your own damn bar.

That sounds like Aristocratic Justice, not real Justice. Not the hard fought for Justice that you and Sprint expect us to abandon because someone yells the word Muslim. I'm not sure that quoting times past where the words "citizen" and "rights" were positively mocked by the upper and merchant class, helps fight Islam. What is my incentive to protect what we have when you advocate a return to draconia (Elizabethian/Victorian) to fight draconia (Islam).

It may have been a con, but obviously it was a con that had merit. That's the way the judgement saw it as well. Maybe the Bar had pulled this little trick a few times themselves. I've met quite a few bar owners over the years and very few, (none in fact) were poor small business men with an overabundance of scruples.

Read something. Just something...........(although I had my doubts) until I started reading all this stuff, and I am an educated guy. Islam is some scary scary stuff. That's regular Islam, not some radical Islam. Learn about it and speak from knowledge, not ignorance......I am confident that i can win on the facts and evidence with anyone about the danger of Islam. But the argument never gets that far, there is only emotional multicultist rhetoric for daring to speak multiculti heresy.

I see anti-multiculturalist rhetoric being dragged into this discussion where frankly it does not belong. This is purely an issue of Justice, and being a Lawyer I am amazed that you refuse to separate the two. I, like you, was fairly easy going about Islam until I learned much more. However, regardless of how unsavoury and harmfull I find the dogma of Islam, I think that ranting McCarthyism is just as unsavoury and harmfull.

To use the Law in a way any less than what was applied in this case makes us no better than the wishy washy whims of the latest tribal Muhla.

Open house seems like a great idea, but there is always some d*** that puts cigarettes out on the sofa and pi**** in your pool. Our gatecrasher is Islam, and pretending it is benign is not going to stop it from wrecking our house, like it has wrecked, every other house it has ever stopped off at.

Whose pretending that it is benign? You're pretending that people are saying that. But I do think there are many good people that are Muslims, but I think they are misled, and that the ultimate social fabric they wish to create is not for me, my children or my country as a secular democracy. But they are only my enemy when they break the rules, this girl did not break the rules, she merely showed that they work.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #115 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 6:51pm

Ms Lemes and her friends are no doubt applying for jobs with the Guide Dog Association, breweries, synagogues and pork pie factories to see where else they may, erm... help improve the English justice system.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:49pm

There was nothing just about the outcome, or the proceedings, according to the ordinary principles of justice, or what the ordinary people consider to be just.

There is just a rigged outcome, with a skewed anti-justice system socially engineered by angry rug munching multicultural fascists.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #117 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:19am

Soren wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 6:51pm:
Ms Lemes and her friends are no doubt applying for jobs with the Guide Dog Association, breweries, synagogues and pork pie factories to see where else they may, erm... help improve the English justice system.

Oh well, if it takes being a Muslim to get justice then so be it. I guess we have found a use for them in a modern secular society.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #118 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:38am

Calanen wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:49pm:
There was nothing just about the outcome, or the proceedings, according to the ordinary principles of justice, or what the ordinary people consider to be just.

There is just a rigged outcome, with a skewed anti-justice system socially engineered by angry rug munching multicultural fascists.

How was it unjust?

What are the ordinary principles of justice?

I'm an ordinary person, and on the abreviated details available, it sounds more just than not. But I think her religion is irrelevant and so, apparently, did the decision makers.

How was it rigged?

What do you mean by skewed anti-justice system? One where workers rights are protected?

Socially engineered? Meaning hard fought for?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #119 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:55am

locutius wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:19am:
Soren wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 6:51pm:

Oh well, if it takes being a Muslim to get justice then so be it. I guess we have found a use for them in a modern secular society.

It's got the stench of resentment at perceived luck than genuine fears of jaywalk jihadism.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #120 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:15am

Agreed Helian. The term "sour grapes" has sprung to mind a few times.

It's funny how there is a perception by some that she recieved a positive result (or should I say partial positive result 3000/17000) because she was Muslim. And yet, her being Muslim, seems to be also the cause of resentment to the point that the validity of the claim is lost or rejected. I think the balance of 14000 was associated to her strict moral upbringing and spiritual damages, and THAT part related to her MUSLIMness it seems to me was rejected.

That's why I said that Cal and Sprint should be glad. A worker recieved justice and the jumped up "offended Muslim" part of the claim was rejected. That is how I read it. A common sense decision as far as I can tell.

Also the insinuation of Bar owners as poor small business men is truly hilarious. Considering the underworld previlance in that industry she's lucky she didn't end up wearing a little red cocktail concrete dress.  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:20am by locutius »  

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #121 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:14am

Quote:
Also the insinuation of Bar owners as poor small business men is truly hilarious. Considering the underworld previlance in that industry she's lucky she didn't end up wearing a little red cocktail concrete dress.

I know a lot of people who own bars. Some are wealthy, some are not. Some are underworld types, most are not. Underworld types are also loathe to create attention with something like this. It's not like the movie, so even if the bar is owned by the mob, there is no way they'd do something to this woman. Just not worth the hassle.

I actually think the decision is wrong in law, and if it went upstairs it might get rollled. May not be worth the money to do it however.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #122 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:33pm

locutius wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:15am:

It's funny how there is a perception by some that she recieved a positive result (or should I say partial positive result 3000/17000) because she was Muslim. And yet, her being Muslim, seems to be also the cause of resentment to the point that the validity of the claim is lost or rejected. I think the balance of 14000 was associated to her strict moral upbringing and spiritual damages, and THAT part related to her MUSLIMness it seems to me was rejected.

That's why I said that Cal and Sprint should be glad. A worker recieved justice and the jumped up "offended Muslim" part of the claim was rejected. That is how I read it. A common sense decision as far as I can tell.

Also the insinuation of Bar owners as poor small business men is truly hilarious. Considering the underworld previlance in that industry she's lucky she didn't end up wearing a little red cocktail concrete dress.  Wink

It is an absurdity. The basis of her claim was dismissed as "manifestly absurd". The tribunal awarded her £2,919.95 for hurt feelings and loss of earnings after she walked out. She was awarded nearly £3000  for things she did not in fact claim (hurt feelings): The tribunal accepted that Fata Lemes genuinely believed that the short, lowcut red dress was ‘disgusting’ and made her look ‘like a prostitute’.
The tribunal is an absurdity. A muslim applying for a job as a coctail waitress is absurd. Then making a claim on the basis of her muslim upbringing and morals is absurd,  just as  a muslim taxi driver refusing to take seeing eye dogs is an absurdity. As is a Muslim supermarket worker refusing to handle alcohol - an absurdity. Most of all, a tribunal handing out other people's money for 'hurt feelings' is the absurd triumph of the kindergarten teachers. And then to see Ms Lemes, of hurt feelings about being seen, in effect, as uncoveered meat, on Facebook uncovering far more then the modest little red dress is farcical.

That you and Helian do not see the absurdity but only your dour old reflex 'workers' right' case is bizarre and pathetic. Two old-timers who can't see anything except in terms of the slogans of your lost youth.  She was after  £20,000,  not your dusty old workers' justice blah from the '60.  i

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:13pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #123 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:43pm

'ello, 'ello, 'ello, what have we here?  Not another workers right case?

Muslim policeman sues force after 'boss said he looked like bin Laden'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1195141/Muslim-policeman-sues-force-boss...

With pictures and sordid details.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #124 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:30pm

Fata Lemes says on her blog:

"I did not invent the notion that wearing a red dress means that a woman is sexy, flirty, easy, fun, available, and daring. This is what a red dress has come to represent in our culture."

michelleobamared.jpg (31 KB | 34 )
michelleobamared.jpg

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #125 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:30pm

Soren wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:30pm:
Fata Lemes says on her blog:

"I did not invent the notion that wearing a red dress means that a woman is sexy, flirty, easy, fun, available, and daring. This is what a red dress has come to represent in our culture."

And this on her blog...

Quote:
It is true that I grew up in Muslim family and Muslim community. The last time I felt religious was in 1989. Religion has nothing to do with this case.

Soren wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:33pm:
That you and Helian do not see the absurdity but only your dour old reflex 'workers' right' case is bizarre and pathetic. Two old-timers who can't see anything except in terms of the slogans of your lost youth.  She was after  £20,000,  not your dusty old workers' justice blah from the '60.  

Dunno about old-timers... Well can't speak for Loc... Too many nights up in your room with Beethoven and a box of tissues, sorearse.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #126 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:54pm

And this further from Lemes

Quote:
After I was no longer working for Rocket I telephoned to inquire about the money that I was owed for the work that I had done. I was told that I would not be paid, as they “would rather give that money to their existing staff”. I was finally paid 7 months later during the Tribunal. The Tribunal judge simply said that I should be paid. I was given cash.

If I was paid within the 26 days that it took me to see a lawyer I would have most probably never taken any action against them. It felt incredibly unfair and I felt helpless.

And this

Quote:
The £20000 compensation is not what I demand, not something I invented. The law states that this is the minimum amount one shall be paid by their employer if their employer is to be found to have treated him/her unfairly and discriminatory.

The journalist who was more interested in selling his story than telling the actual story has caused a lot of unnecessary trouble. He knew the case had nothing to do with religion.

Might have paid to have read her blog, sorearse.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2009 at 12:08am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #127 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:00am

locutius wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:15am:

The tribunal is an absurdity.

Why?

A muslim applying for a job as a coctail waitress is absurd.

I keep hearing that but I don't know as a fact that serving alcohol is forbidden to Muslims. Can you show me that it is a fact? I ask only out of interest because if true, even if she is a hypocrite, she is still entitled to protection as a worker. Again religion has nothing to do with it.

I have no great admiration nor affinity with Islam, which you would well know Soren, but I won't surrender other admirable aspects of our social structure just because you want to run scared everytime someone yells MUSLIM! Boo!

Then making a claim on the basis of her muslim upbringing and morals is absurd,  just as  a muslim taxi driver refusing to take seeing eye dogs is an absurdity.

Hardly an absurdity if it makes sense to him, but he has acted illegally and should be punished and rightly so. He needs to find another job if he can't follow the rules. Like the Bar owners needed to follow rules.

And then to see Ms Lemes, of hurt feelings about being seen, in effect, as uncoveered meat, on Facebook uncovering far more then the modest little red dress is farcical.

What I previously said about this
Quote:

That you and Helian do not see the absurdity but only your dour old reflex 'workers' right' case is bizarre and pathetic. Two old-timers who can't see anything except in terms of the slogans of your lost youth.  

Gee, how old do you think I am? And my youth wasn't lost, it's still here, alive and well just a bit slower than it used to be. Most of the hard fought battles for workers rights and peoples rights were over before I started school really, although militant unionism was still flexing it's muscle even in the seventies when I was in high school.

Not sure what slogans I was using, can you remind me please.??

I thought I was talking common sense based on an understanding on a socially just society and being reasonably well read in history. Now if you want me to go along with your fraidy-cat version of society that wants to just give up doing the right thing just because it might also protect someone who's politics I don't like ... better think again.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:06am by locutius »  

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #128 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:10am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:54pm:
And this further from Lemes

Quote:
After I was no longer working for Rocket I telephoned to inquire about the money that I was owed for the work that I had done. I was told that I would not be paid, as they “would rather give that money to their existing staff”. I was finally paid 7 months later during the Tribunal. The Tribunal judge simply said that I should be paid. I was given cash.

If I was paid within the 26 days that it took me to see a lawyer I would have most probably never taken any action against them. It felt incredibly unfair and I felt helpless.

And this

Quote:
The £20000 compensation is not what I demand, not something I invented. The law states that this is the minimum amount one shall be paid by their employer if their employer is to be found to have treated him/her unfairly and discriminatory.

The journalist who was more interested in selling his story than telling the actual story has caused a lot of unnecessary trouble. He knew the case had nothing to do with religion.

Might have paid to have read her blog, sorearse.

Well yes Helian, I at least have to admit here that I am extremely old fashioned...being the "old timer that I am" I expect to be paid for my labour.  How gob-smackingly absurd and militant a concept is that.

Thanks for the extra information. I can't access face book at work.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #129 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:25pm

Quote:

Don't you criticise Muslims for wanting a 1200 year old justice system. Why on earth would you want a justice system that has been out of date for 400 years? I will; talk to you about justice because someone needs to explain it to you.

Quote:
Justice says, wear the damn dress and shut up while you do it.

Is it whispering that in your ear right now?

Quote:
You would have been right there with Pig Iron Bob saying that the pig iron will NEVER come back as bullets and that anyone who says otherwise is a dirty stinking race hating Japanophobe and Emperorphobe.

Bullets are made of lead Calanen.

Quote:
And what do you know, then we were at war. And the whole West is at war.

If we are at war, why are you so incapable of figuring out who we are at war with? How would denying this woman justice help your war? How does she fit into your elaborate 'jihadi behind every corner' fantasy? Ultimately the war we are fighting is against injustice, against dictatorship, against denial of rights etc and you are on the wrong side.

Quote:
Read something. Just something, I'll even buy the damn book for you if you are hard up for cash. Just read the damn thing and speak from facts and evidence instead of cluelessness and the vibe about how all people are really good and its a tiny tiny minority of extremists.

It doesn't seem to have given you any great insight. Quite the contrary. It has rendered you totally incapable of being able to explain your position. What makes you think you are in a position to recommend reading material for others?

Quote:
I thought that too

I don't. You seem to think that the only reason a person would disagree with you is because they are you at a younger age. Maybe they are an older, wiser version of you. At the very least, you should find out what they actually think before you tell them what they think.

Quote:
I am confident that i can win on the facts and evidence with anyone about the danger of Islam.

Hello? Are you still talking to me? Do you think I am unaware of the danger of Islam? There is a difference between recognising the danger of Islam and creating your own equally oppressive regime to counter imaginary threats. You appear not to understand what the danger actually is, because you seem very intent on recreating the same danger under a different name.

Quote:
But the argument never gets that far

Of course it doesn't, because this thread is not about Islam and you are totally incapable of putting together a rational argument for why it is.

Quote:
there is only emotional multicultist rhetoric for daring to speak multiculti heresy

Sometimes I think you are replying to the wrong thread. No-one has posted anything about multiculturalism in support of this woman. Try reading what is actually posted. I have posted the same critcism of your argument about a dozen times. Each time you ignore it and pretend I am saying something totally different. You have this strange idea in your head about what this topic is and what other people are saying to you that is totally at odds with reality, and you are oblivious to the situation. You are creating the ultimate strawman. When you cannot respond to what is actually posted, you just replace it with your fantasy version of what we are saying.

Quote:

Yes there were, but for some reason your are unable to argue on the basis of justice. Every time you are pressed on the matter you go off on a tanget about jihadis behind every corner instead. Your ideas about what justice is, are remakably similar to Islam and totally at odds with western notions of freedom and personal dignity.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #130 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 10:33pm

locutius wrote on Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:00am:
Then making a claim on the basis of her muslim upbringing and morals is absurd,  just as  a muslim taxi driver refusing to take seeing eye dogs is an absurdity.

Hardly an absurdity if it makes sense to him, but he has acted illegally and should be punished and rightly so.

There's the diff. Not every point of view is equal. The Muslim taxi driver who refuses to take seeing eye dogs in Minneapolis has no case, moral or otherwise, and what does or does not make sense to him is beside the point. Taxi driving and cocktail waitressing are jobs people apply for, not sold into. Like application, resignation IS an option.

The cocktail waitress who objects to wearing a perfectly ordinary red dress and cites her Muslim upbringing as the basis for her objections - but then says on her blog that religon has nothing to do with it  - is sucking and blowing simultaneously.  None of the other waitresses objected and it was an issue only for her, with objections based on her Muslim upbringing and cultural interpretation.
As the bar said, she resigned. She didn't want to wear the dress, she resigned  "Managers said the dress was chosen by other staff, and produced photos of waitress Amanda Bjursten modelling it in the bar in Mayfair, central London. She said she was "completely comfortable" in the dress. "
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2048121.ece

But therev is no money in resignation. It is bullsh!t that she she was not trying this on for the 20k as she herself pointed out that her case, if won, mandates that amount - a fact she knew before she launched her case.  It is utter crap that an employer has to give notice of any future uniform changes at the time of an interview.

So on the basis of her claims, there was no case. But this aburd tribunal had to find a way not to seem unsympathetic once the Muslim feelings were read into the record. So this absurd tribunal awarded other people's money for 'hurt feelings'.

In effect this is money for what the tribunal takes to be hurt feelings experienced in England but rooted in Muslim upringing and the interpretation of red dresses in the culture of that upbringing and being hurt in England precisely because of the dissonance between the upbringing and the experience in Rome -I mean englaand.
It is absurd exactly for the same reason as your lne is about the taxi driver's case being  "Hardly an absurdity if it makes sense to him". It is a one way nonsense.

One day a muslim checkout operator sues Sainsbury's for being 'forced' to handle alcohol. The next day a muslim taxi driver refuses to take people with duty free booze in his cab. Then along comes Polly and wants to work in a cocktail bar but only in loose fitting black clothes. Then Fatima the Hijabi wants to work in a hip and groovy hair salon but wants to come to work in a hijab, all non-hip and ungroovy. The day after that, Fatma the niqabi teacher's assistant sues because the school wants her to uncover her facee when she is teaching the nippers pronunciaton.

And on it goes. Muslim Bin Laden lookalike PC sues because boss noticed resemblance. Muslim PC with bizarre beard is hurt by other coppers finding his beard bizarre. 

And waddaya know? The pattern that is obvous to all is an illusion, a malicouss or paranoid illusion!! These are not Muslims-trying-it- on cases. Oh no.  These are all workers rights issues, don't you know.

And look over there! What's that? Well, blow me down if it's not the BNP, Pauline, Le Pen, Wilders, Howard, UKIP, Danish People's Party, Fortuyn, Van Gogh, Hirsi Ali, Spencer, Steyn, Limbaugh, Jones and the rest. Wonder what brings them here., popular buggers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #131 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 10:57pm

Quote:
Taxi driving and cocktail waitressing are jobs people apply for, not sold into. Like application, resignation IS an option.

Soren I am afraid that western moral standards have moved on a bit. We do not consider it reasonable to make women choose between resignation and sexual discrimination in the workplace. This is one of the wonderful things that the British legal system has given to the world to make it a better place.

Quote:
The cocktail waitress who objects to wearing a perfectly ordinary red dress and cites her Muslim upbringing as the basis for her objections - but then says on her blog that religon has nothing to do with it  - is sucking and blowing simultaneously.

You seem to have confused a journalist's spin with the woman's actual motivation. Syurely it is what she actually says that matters, not what other people make up about her?

Quote:
But this aburd tribunal had to find a way not to seem unsympathetic once the Muslim feelings were read into the record.

Soren, the only thing the tribunal disagreed with was the extent of the damages, not whether the employer did the wrong thing. Religion had nothing to do with it. The fact that the plaintiff used to be religious is not evidence that it was the basis for the ruling. It is absurd to suggest that because Islam is the particular religion involved that we can suddenly get away with all these silly assumptions about her and about the judgement, when the facts and statement actually made clearly point the other way.

Quote:
So this absurd tribunal awarded other people's money for 'hurt feelings'.

Didn't you say it was for lost wages?

Quote:
And waddaya know? The pattern that is obvous to all is an illusion, a malicouss or paranoid illusion!!

But it is an illusion Soren. I'm not sure why you can't see the difference between this and the other examples you give. To me it is obvious. A woman does not have to be Muslim to object to sexual discrimination. Muslims are not the only people who raise girls with strict moral standards. The success of the case was based on the fact that the employer was acting in a sexually discriminatory manner.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #132 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 11:03pm

freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2009 at 10:57pm:
Quote:
Taxi driving and cocktail waitressing are jobs people apply for, not sold into. Like application, resignation IS an option.

Soren I am afraid that western moral standards have moved on a bit. We do not consider it reasonable to make women choose between resignation and sexual discrimination in the workplace.  

Where was the sexual discrimination?  The 3000 quid was for hurt feelings and lost wages. The rest of her claims were dismissed as manifestly absurd, including her claim of feeling like a prostitutee in the dress. Where was the sexual discrimination and why didn't the other waitresses notice that sexual discrimination?

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2009 at 11:11pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 2:38am

Quote:
The latest news from Rhyl is that compulsory swimming lessons for all recruits have been scrapped on the grounds that ultra-modest Muslim women will be discouraged from joining the police because they may object to having to wear a swimming costume.

Quite why any sensible, ultramodest Muslim woman would want to join the weird cult which is the North Wales Constabulary is a mystery to me.

Perhaps they might think Chief Constable Brunstrom is a real mad mullah.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1195571/LITTLEJOHN-The-mad-Mullah-Tase...

Heaven forbid we might make sure the cops can actually swim, better we don't 'offend' any muslims and ensure we can the swimming program for the force. Muppets.

I imagine FD thinks this is a triumph of rights as well. Pretty soon they will excuse muslim female police from driving patrol cars on the basis that in Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive and to ask them to do so, offends their delicate sensibilities.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #134 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 11:16am

That is why we need to see muslims adapting their sense of morality to that of the culture they choose to live in.

It would be no different if a nudist wanted to be a cop, and wearing clothes was an afront to his nudism, we would say tough, they are our standards, you either accept them, or you don't become a police officer.

If they are just making short term allowances to get more muslim women into the police force, then we can grudgingly accept that fact, but they should not be lowering the standards of the force, to achieve that aim.

They have the neck to ankle thingo for aussie muslim girls who want to be lifesavers, so they could have gone down that route, rather than just lowering their standards.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #135 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 8:24pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 27th, 2009 at 11:16am:
That is why we need to see muslims adapting their sense of morality to that of the culture they choose to live in.

It would be no different if a nudist wanted to be a cop, and wearing clothes was an afront to his nudism, we would say tough, they are our standards, you either accept them, or you don't become a police officer.
If they are just making short term allowances to get more muslim women into the police force, then we can grudgingly accept that fact, but they should not be lowering the standards of the force, to achieve that aim.

They have the neck to ankle thingo for aussie muslim girls who want to be lifesavers, so they could have gone down that route, rather than just lowering their standards.

Very good example of how bending over backwards can lead to absurdity.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #136 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 10:28pm

Quote:

They already have 'Muslim Only Pool Days', pretty soon their will be 'Muslim Only Beach Days', and 'Muslim Only Shopping Days,' 'Alcohol Free Days' at Bars and Restaurants, 'Dog Free Days' at parks. Down the slippery slope we go to religious apartheid.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Mercedes With Square Wheels
Ex Member

Reply #137 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 1:01am

I think it's especially funny how much disdain regular Australians actually have towards Islam in general. To prove my point, here's an antecdote (that I know Calanen will love). I used to work at an abattoir that prided itself on providing to the Muslim community halal, specially slaughtered cuts of meat. One of the rules of halal slaughter, apparently, is that it is forbidden to stack the bodies of animals in storage after they have been killed; however, this didn't stop most of the people who worked with me from priding themselves on the fact that they just stacked them up in the freezers after their respective slaughters Grin Most of them thought this was hilarious. So did I.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #138 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 5:32pm

that reminded me of the guy in the pizza parlour who would ALWAYS put pork on the muslims pizzas.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #139 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 8:27am

Calanen wrote on Jun 27th, 2009 at 2:38am:
Quote:
The latest news from Rhyl is that compulsory swimming lessons for all recruits have been scrapped on the grounds that ultra-modest Muslim women will be discouraged from joining the police because they may object to having to wear a swimming costume.

Quite why any sensible, ultramodest Muslim woman would want to join the weird cult which is the North Wales Constabulary is a mystery to me.

Perhaps they might think Chief Constable Brunstrom is a real mad mullah.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1195571/LITTLEJOHN-The-mad-Mullah-Tase...

Heaven forbid we might make sure the cops can actually swim, better we don't 'offend' any muslims and ensure we can the swimming program for the force. Muppets.

I imagine FD thinks this is a triumph of rights as well. Pretty soon they will excuse muslim female police from driving patrol cars on the basis that in Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive and to ask them to do so, offends their delicate sensibilities.

This is just idiotic. Changing professional standards to suit the religious standards of a particular group is plain gutless and stupid. This is of course an opposite situation to the barmaid case where standards where maintained in spite of the religious beliefs of a certain group. That is a good thing.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #140 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 8:36am

Soren wrote on Jun 26th, 2009 at 10:33pm:
locutius wrote on Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:00am:

Hardly an absurdity if it makes sense to him, but he has acted illegally and should be punished and rightly so.

There's the diff. Not every point of view is equal. The Muslim taxi driver who refuses to take seeing eye dogs in Minneapolis has no case, moral or otherwise, and what does or does not make sense to him is beside the point. Taxi driving and cocktail waitressing are jobs people apply for, not sold into. Like application, resignation IS an option.

The cocktail waitress who objects to wearing a perfectly ordinary red dress and cites her Muslim upbringing as the basis for her objections - but then says on her blog that religon has nothing to do with it  - is sucking and blowing simultaneously.  None of the other waitresses objected and it was an issue only for her, with objections based on her Muslim upbringing and cultural interpretation.
As the bar said, she resigned. She didn't want to wear the dress, she resigned  "Managers said the dress was chosen by other staff, and produced photos of waitress Amanda Bjursten modelling it in the bar in Mayfair, central London. She said she was "completely comfortable" in the dress. "
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2048121.ece

But therev is no money in resignation. It is bullsh!t that she she was not trying this on for the 20k as she herself pointed out that her case, if won, mandates that amount - a fact she knew before she launched her case.  It is utter crap that an employer has to give notice of any future uniform changes at the time of an interview.

So on the basis of her claims, there was no case. But this aburd tribunal had to find a way not to seem unsympathetic once the Muslim feelings were read into the record. So this absurd tribunal awarded other people's money for 'hurt feelings'.

In effect this is money for what the tribunal takes to be hurt feelings experienced in England but rooted in Muslim upringing and the interpretation of red dresses in the culture of that upbringing and being hurt in England precisely because of the dissonance between the upbringing and the experience in Rome -I mean englaand.
It is absurd exactly for the same reason as your lne is about the taxi driver's case being  "Hardly an absurdity if it makes sense to him". It is a one way nonsense.

One day a muslim checkout operator sues Sainsbury's for being 'forced' to handle alcohol. The next day a muslim taxi driver refuses to take people with duty free booze in his cab. Then along comes Polly and wants to work in a cocktail bar but only in loose fitting black clothes. Then Fatima the Hijabi wants to work in a hip and groovy hair salon but wants to come to work in a hijab, all non-hip and ungroovy. The day after that, Fatma the niqabi teacher's assistant sues because the school wants her to uncover her facee when she is teaching the nippers pronunciaton.

And on it goes. Muslim Bin Laden lookalike PC sues because boss noticed resemblance. Muslim PC with bizarre beard is hurt by other coppers finding his beard bizarre.  

And waddaya know? The pattern that is obvous to all is an illusion, a malicouss or paranoid illusion!! These are not Muslims-trying-it- on cases. Oh no.  These are all workers rights issues, don't you know.

And look over there! What's that? Well, blow me down if it's not the BNP, Pauline, Le Pen, Wilders, Howard, UKIP, Danish People's Party, Fortuyn, Van Gogh, Hirsi Ali, Spencer, Steyn, Limbaugh, Jones and the rest. Wonder what brings them here., popular buggers.

Yes there is an immense difference between the two cases. The taxi driver took on a job that has a preset of non negotiable conditions and expectations, and in the case of transporting guide dogs that is covered by legislation. As a minimum I would expect him to be made to apologies to the person he has agrieved, be given a written warning and resit his theory test. If it is a dismissable offence then he should be dismissed and no compensation would be due him other than backpay. BUT REMEMBER he agreed to those pre-existing conditions......the Barmaid had NEW conditions put on her after she had started the job.

That is the DIFF. I would expect a grade 11 Legal Studies student to get this.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #141 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 9:19am

She's a barmaid. A beer wench.
She's NOT a brain surgeon. Not a professional, educated.

that sort of job, you don't have rights in reality.
she has no job future now. can only suck off the govt for the dole.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #142 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 11:24am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 9:19am:

I was a beer wench for a few months at a large coastal club and I loved it. I had rights and respect, but left when they moved me into the office to work for the board members. They were sleazier than any of the customers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #143 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:05pm

Quote:
Where was the sexual discrimination?

It was outlined in the tribunal's findings.

Quote:

I noticed you completely avoided the actual topic again Calanen. Are you conceding that this woman is not another Jihadi around the corner?

Quote:

That doesn't mean she has no rights sprint.

Quote:

Yes you do. You sound remarkably similar to Muslims who claim that these sort of women should have no rights.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #144 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:31pm

freediver wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:05pm:
Quote:
Where was the sexual discrimination?

It was outlined in the tribunal's findings.

How can it be that the fact of wearing a dress was/is not sexual discrimination against other women who work there?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #145 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 3:44pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 9:19am:

So you're not just against Muslim's having protection under an indiscriminate standard, you're also against those of a particular socio-economic group having those protections as well?

Sprint, why don't barmaids have rights?

And what is you're cut off point for people not having protection? Under $45 an hour and maybe a Batchelor of Arts Degree as a minimum perhaps.

I'm curious. Do you think emancipation is a dirty word? Maybe just forget Democracy and Freedom and return to an era of Robber-Barrons and petty Lords.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 4:29pm by locutius »  

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #146 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 7:42pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 28th, 2009 at 5:32pm:
that reminded me of the guy in the pizza parlour who would ALWAYS put pork on the muslims pizzas.

That also reminded me that often at kebab shops non-muslims get "special treatment" too.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #147 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:04pm

locutius - oh, everyone has rights.
Some have more rights than others.
I bet bar maids would not have as many rights as barristers do.

That's why barmaids get told to wear something nice for men to look at.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #148 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:09am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:04pm:

A lot of women still enjoy looking good for men yet today some women get offended if they're given compliments, whistles or affectionately touched. I think we've gone too far with sexism and part of the fun of being young is attracting attention from the opposite sex. Some of it isn't always welcome, but it doesn't deserve a court case or a sacking.

Actions by men that were taken for granted in the 70's and 80's are now considered assaults and exploitation, but most of the women who protest the loudest aren't even attractive. They should be flattered that they get any attention at all.

Perhaps there will come a day when males just turn to each other and not bother trying to connect with a woman.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #149 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 12:05pm

mantr a- I hope not !
Most of us men like most of you ladies.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #150 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 12:40pm

mantra wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:09am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:04pm:

A lot of women still enjoy looking good for men yet today some women get offended if they're given compliments, whistles or affectionately touched.

All those things are still allowed and legal. The complexity of the issue is that there are so many cultural and personal standards. The legislation is there to draw a line in the sand for a minimum of behaviour for the ininvited, unfamiliar and unwanted.

Stalkers probably think they are showing the hieght of flattery as well, if only their victim would understand and appreciate them standing outside their bathroom window masterbating, all would be good. Yes that is an extreme. But the point is that what is acceptable for one is not for another.

Less extreme example, there is a party up the road that has been playing loud music till 5am and skateboarders and hoons tearing up the street till dawn. Personally I start having fantasies about garrotting them, my 14 year old niece thinks it's cool. Luckily she is not writting the legislation that protects hardworking families from having to put up with that crap.

Affectionate touching particularly is dangerous ground, and rightly so. I remember a joke many years ago that is enlightening....What is the definition of Rape?.......Assault with a friendly weapon. Surprising how many woman don't find that funny.

I think we've gone too far with sexism and part of the fun of being young is attracting attention from the opposite sex. Some of it isn't always welcome, but it doesn't deserve a court case or a sacking.

It deserves a court case if it is persistant, if it oversteps a verbal or behavioural signal that it is unwanted, if it is intentionally demeaning or derogatory. Some of it can be stupid and some of it can be confusing. Many years ago I had an in class argument with a female lecturer in Philosophy about some of these boundries for sexual harrassment. She claimed that asking someone out, on a date, was sexual harrassment as it was uninvited and unwanted attention. While I agreed that it may in many circumstances be uninvited (as in unexpected) it could not be categorised as unwanted until after the fact. At that point the refusal should be respected. Any other sequence or pre-empted guilt was just stupidity.

Actions by men that were taken for granted in the 70's and 80's are now considered assaults and exploitation, but most of the women who protest the loudest aren't even attractive. They should be flattered that they get any attention at all.

Perhaps there will come a day when males just turn to each other and not bother trying to connect with a woman.

The actions of males in viking societies were taken for granted as well.  Also the Roman's took for granted that a man could kill his wife and family being his property. Peasants could not speak against their master nor a wife against her husband. Times change.

Not sure what validity being attractive adds to someone rights or their potential to be wronged. What about how smart they are? Maybe someone who is really dumb and would otherwise have no social interaction should feel grateful at being lampooned as opposed to being left in peace, or at least respected and treated kindly.

Personally I find the woman in this story very unattractive, but that does not diminish her rights.

As for men turning to each other, maybe the Greeks were onto to something there but they took it just a step or two too far for my liking.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2009 at 12:55pm by locutius »  

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #151 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 7:26pm

Unfortunately we have this case leaving many believing, quite strongly, that the fact of this girl mentioning she had been raised muslim, and that background contributed to her feeling that the dress supplied made her feel like a prostitute, is evidence of muslims being granted special consideration.

I appreciate fully the arguments given bt FD, and Locutius, and 90% agree, but I do believe that even if they did not mention it in their ruling, her stated background, would have effected the final ruling.

It was not a dress of any extraordinary characteristic, it was tailored, but not low cut, and the fact that she associates red with prostitution, is her problem, it is certainly not a social stigma I have ever heard of in my life.

So, it is worth asking the question, if she had been a normal girl, asking for no special consideration due to religious or cultural sensibilities, would the ruling have been the same?

Possibly it may have, but I am not convinced it would have been because it is not considered offensive to wear red coloured tailored clothes in our society, last time I looked, and apart from that, what did she have to complain about?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #152 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 7:45pm

locutius wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 12:40pm:
Not sure what validity being attractive adds to someone rights or their potential to be wronged. What about how smart they are? Maybe someone who is really dumb and would otherwise have no social interaction should feel grateful at being lampooned as opposed to being left in peace, or at least respected and treated kindly.

Personally I find the woman in this story very unattractive, but that does not diminish her rights.

As for men turning to each other, maybe the Greeks were onto to something there but they took it just a step or two too far for my liking.

Of course I'm not talking about brutality or rape or persistent sexual harrassment, but I was thinking of that recent incident where the NSW MP (forgotten his name) lost his job without trial for allegedly putting his hand on some woman's knee. He was vilified and humiliated and it turns out that the woman is currently on charges for assaulting her husband, lied about her qualifications and had lodged a similar previous complaint about an English lecturer, which almost destroyed his career.

This politician vehemently denies this occurred, but even if it had - does putting your hand on a woman's leg at some function constitute destroying a person's livelihood?

We are just too quick to jump to conclusions and always imagine the worst.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #153 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 8:07pm

Quote:
It would be no different if a nudist wanted to be a cop

It would be completely different.

Quote:
Of course I'm not talking about brutality or rape or persistent sexual harrassment, but I was thinking of that recent incident where the NSW MP (forgotten his name) lost his job without trial for allegedly putting his hand on some woman's knee.

That's politics mantra. If you can get sacked for your political views, or even made up rumours, you can get sacked for lack of etiquette.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #154 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:24pm

Quote:
Quote:

It would be no different if a nudist wanted to be a cop (mozza)

It would be completely different.-FD

Why is it so different?
Each want special consideration because they do not want to accept our social norms.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #155 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 12:20am

Quote:
This politician vehemently denies this occurred, but even if it had - does putting your hand on a woman's leg at some function constitute destroying a person's livelihood?

Gees Stewart's spin doctors are good. You are a good barometer for what the weak minded in the community think mantra. If I ever get into politics, I'll stay in touch. The average person's thinking. So elusive otherwise.

Cabinet Ministers serve at the pleasure of the Crown. They don't get notice. They don't get severance pay. They don't get a trial. If the Governor or the Prime Minister or the Premier says they're gone - then they're gone. So Stewart should stop whinging. He is a bully and a coward, and thought he was a ladies' man.

He was lucky he got any process at all. You cant have a royal commission after every cabinet reshuffle and court action. That would make a mockery of democracy, and the courts would do nothing else.

You did it Stewart, you know you did. But even if you hadn't, if the Premier wants to punt you - you go.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #156 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 5:35am

Muslim police are looking for a notorius male prostitute, last seen wearing a bright red suit, and heard saying, HO, HO, HO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #157 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 8:23pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:24pm:
Quote:
Quote:

It would be no different if a nudist wanted to be a cop (mozza)

It would be completely different.-FD

Why is it so different?
Each want special consideration because they do not want to accept our social norms.

I mentioned this earlier - the equivalent situation for police would be if the decided to make female officers start wearing skirts or much more sexualised uniforms. If they did, people would object. It wouldn't get to the stage of people quitting because it would never happen in the first place. The original suggestion was that this case was somehow equivalent to someone expecting a potential employer to change the uniform to suit their own personal taste, which is a completely different situation.

FYI, there is nothing stopping nudists from becoming police officers.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #158 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 9:19pm

Here's another workers' right case for the comrades - a Muslim Butt insists on what's right.

Muslim NHS dentist 'tried to force patients to wear traditional Islamic dress'
A Muslim NHS dentist faces being struck off after a tribunal ruled he tried to force patients to wear traditional Islamic dress before treating them.

Published: 9:26AM BST 02 Jul 2009

Omer Butt kept a box full of hijabs at his practice so he could lend them to women before checking their teeth.
Omer Butt, 32, whose brother Hassan used to be spokesman for the banned radical Muslim group Al Muhajiroun, ordered female patients to wear headscarves and forced men to take off gold jewellery before allowing them into the dentists' chair.

He even kept a box full of hijabs at his practice so he could lend them to women before checking their teeth.

Primitives with degrees. Is it his fault? The womens' fault? Both. And especially Islam's fault. Primitivism masquarading as spirituality. A smacking disgrace. But let's pretend otherwise, comrades. i

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #159 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 10:34am

I take it you support the tribunal's ruling in this case?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #160 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 8:42pm

freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2009 at 10:34am:
I take it you support the tribunal's ruling in this case?

I am sorry, I didn't realise this was about tribunals. I thought it was about a Muslim Butt who wouldn't look into a woman's mouth without her hair being covered. I don't need a tribunal to tell me that the man is an Arse, I mean, Butt.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #161 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 11:08am

Soren wrote on Jul 4th, 2009 at 9:19pm:
Here's another workers' right case for the comrades - a Muslim Butt insists on what's right.

Muslim NHS dentist 'tried to force patients to wear traditional Islamic dress'
A Muslim NHS dentist faces being struck off after a tribunal ruled he tried to force patients to wear traditional Islamic dress before treating them.

Published: 9:26AM BST 02 Jul 2009

Omer Butt kept a box full of hijabs at his practice so he could lend them to women before checking their teeth.
Omer Butt, 32, whose brother Hassan used to be spokesman for the banned radical Muslim group Al Muhajiroun, ordered female patients to wear headscarves and forced men to take off gold jewellery before allowing them into the dentists' chair.

He even kept a box full of hijabs at his practice so he could lend them to women before checking their teeth.

Primitives with degrees. Is it his fault? The womens' fault? Both. And especially Islam's fault. Primitivism masquarading as spirituality. A smacking disgrace. But let's pretend otherwise, comrades.

Workers Rights?? Huh Huh Huh

Relevence to the original case?? Huh Huh Huh

Comrade?? Huh Huh Huh

Sorry Soren, exactly what is your point?? That the bloke is a dickhead and time waster. Agreed.

What was the repsonse you where expecting from me?? That the bloke is a dickhead and a time waster. Success.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #162 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 1:26pm

That its the thin edge of the wedge, that these attacks on our civilisation and freedom of our civilisation are happening all over, with Islam never taking a backward step.

The Leftist Apologists are Enablers permitting the destruction of our society, one chop at a time.

Quote:
    And many strokes, though with a little axe,
    Hew down and fell the hardest-timbered oak.
       William Shakespeare, "King Henry VI Part III", Act 2 scene 1
       Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

Every single stroke must be strongly opposed, or the oak will fall over. It is already showing signs of being diseased.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #163 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 1:58pm

Let's oppose it with Justice and Fairness and impartiality. If we take ourselves backwards societally to those past eras what incentive do you think there will be in chosing one oppressor over another. For us and as an intelligent alternative for them.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #164 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 3:40pm

locutius wrote on Jul 6th, 2009 at 1:58pm:
Let's oppose it with Justice and Fairness and impartiality. If we take ourselves backwards societally to those past eras what incentive do you think there will be in chosing one oppressor over another. For us and as an intelligent alternative for them.

You don't even know what you're opposing yet. That's the first step.

Impartiality? Justice? Fairness? When the immutable truth about Islam = Peace cannot be questioned or even discussed? How's that 'justice' and 'truth'?

The truth about Islam is far too unpalatable for anyone to know, so it will continue to be covered up with Orwellian language at every turn. But what happens when you keep asking a tree to bend in the wind? Eventually it snaps with an awful crack. That is what is going to happen with the population of Australia. If you dont want moderate changes, you are going to have extreme ones.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print