Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Don't employ muslims (Read 12947 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Don't employ muslims
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:13pm

It's quite ironic, that those who constantly hold up the banner of "Women's rights" etc. don't even blink an eyelid when it comes to women being employed strictly for their physical 'assets'. There's no problem using them as eye-candy to sell stuff, but don't you dare call for them to be treated as human beings with minds, that's sexist and oppressive!!

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:15pm

I would employ anyone who is clean, neat, has good people skills and the knowledge that is required for the position. If they have special requirements that would interfer with their job, I need to know about it during the interview. I would then use a trial period, if they were the best candidate, to see if those special requirements are workable for me.

If they aren't workable or if someone lets me know after they are employed that they need certain things that do not suit me then I am going to let them go. I will challenge them to show that it is anything but a business decision.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:17pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:56am:
mantra - as per my 1st suggestion - don't employ them.

that's one small business who won't again.

Seems like you're confusing religiosity with personal choice.

As she worked in a bar, presumably without a hijab, she was hardly making a stand on religious grounds.

Are you saying a Christian woman or a non-religious conservative woman would never complain in equivalent circumstances?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:19pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:23am:
Happy wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:21am:
Calanen wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:00am:
Using the processes of democracy, to destroy our democracy.

This is what worries me most.
And have no idea how this can be stopped in a democratic way.

Not sure what you're worried about in this case. She wasn't demanding that cocktail waitresses wear a burka.

Why religion was used for the case?

Quote:
A Muslim cocktail waitress has won a 3000 pound ($6090) compensation payout for having to wear a figure-hugging red dress she said made her feel "like a prostitute".

To make non muslims to take a step back?

I wander why prostitutes did not take case against her for making derogatory comment about their legitimate profession?

Maybe they should, for 17000 pounds!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:23pm

Happy wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:19pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:23am:
Happy wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:21am:
Calanen wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:00am:
Using the processes of democracy, to destroy our democracy.

This is what worries me most.
And have no idea how this can be stopped in a democratic way.

Not sure what you're worried about in this case. She wasn't demanding that cocktail waitresses wear a burka.

Why religion was used for the case?

Quote:
A Muslim cocktail waitress has won a 3000 pound ($6090) compensation payout for having to wear a figure-hugging red dress she said made her feel "like a prostitute".

To beat up the story?

All it says was that she was Muslim. There was no claim that she referred to her religious sensibilities being offended.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:23pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:56am:
mantra - as per my 1st suggestion - don't employ them.

that's one small business who won't again.

But this would be another case for sure:

DISCRIMINATION ON RELIGIOUS GROUNDS !!!

Don't you think that this would be straight into their hands?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:24pm

British newspapers had earlier on Monday published a picture from the social networking website Facebook showing Lemes -- a photographer who does bar work to supplement her income - in a revealing white top, smiling at the camera.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:27pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:23pm:
To beat up the story?

All it says was that she was Muslim. There was no claim that she referred to her religious sensibilities being offended.

It is quite possible that non-muslims latched on her religion to stir things up, since it was not mentioned in a case.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:29pm

Grendel wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:24pm:

British newspapers had earlier on Monday published a picture from the social networking website Facebook showing Lemes -- a photographer who does bar work to supplement her income - in a revealing white top, smiling at the camera.

More and more it looks like a quick buck or should I say quick pound.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:35pm

Happy wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:27pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:23pm:
To beat up the story?

It is quite possible that non-muslims latched on her religion to stir things up, since it was not mentioned in a case.

Most likely true. I imagine she'd have been laughed out of court if she'd claimed her religious sensibilities were offended while serving piss in a pisshouse.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #25 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:44pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:13pm:
It's quite ironic, that those who constantly hold up the banner of "Women's rights" etc. don't even blink an eyelid when it comes to women being employed strictly for their physical 'assets'. There's no problem using them as eye-candy to sell stuff, but don't you dare call for them to be treated as human beings with minds, that's sexist and oppressive!!

Unfortunately Abu - it would be a bit hypocritical for any female to demand their Women's Rights while working in a bar. They are surrounded by males and alcohol - not the easiest workplace to guarantee respect - although most bar attendants do get treated properly by most patrons.

I think this has to be a scam. If she valued her job, but didn't like the tightness of the dress - I can't see any reasonable employer not allowing her to modify it a little to suit her requirements.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #26 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:45pm

If she played the system and the system was stupid enough and gutless enough to let itself be played, then the opportunity is there to close a loophole.

What ever she wears in her private life has very little to do with what she finds apropriate as a work outfit, ESPECIALLY if that expectation was not disclosed at the interview or before the job was offered.

I have not seen a photo of the summer work uniform or of her in the white top.

I think she had a right to quit or a right to not wear the uniform. If she was sacked because she refused to wear the uniform then she has a right to sue for damages. Other factors may very well have applied as to the lessening of the damages asked for, things such as Familiarity etc.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 1:12pm

locutius wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:45pm:
If she played the system and the system was stupid enough and gutless enough to let itself be played, then the opportunity is there to close a loophole.

What ever she wears in her private life has very little to do with what she finds apropriate as a work outfit, ESPECIALLY if that expectation was not disclosed at the interview or before the job was offered.

I have not seen a photo of the summer work uniform or of her in the white top.

I think she had a right to quit or a right to not wear the uniform. If she was sacked because she refused to wear the uniform then she has a right to sue for damages. Other factors may very well have applied as to the lessening of the damages asked for, things such as Familiarity etc.

To credit of her case, she was asked to wear "summer uniform" (tight one) about week after she started to work, giving her weapon.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #28 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 1:46pm

What I said earlier about disclosure still applies but having just seen the dress, I think it is pretty tame. The settlement probably covered her out of pocket expenses because it called the majority of the claim for "Hurt feelings" absurd.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 10:22pm

Sprint it's a bit ironic that you are having a go at Muslims for standing up for women's rights.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print