Send Topic Print
Don't employ muslims (Read 12928 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Don't employ muslims
Jun 16th, 2009 at 9:18am

Quote:
A Muslim cocktail waitress has won a 3000 pound ($6090) compensation payout for having to wear a figure-hugging red dress she said made her feel "like a prostitute".

But a claim by Fata Lemes for about 17,000 pounds in damages was dismissed as "manifestly absurd" by a British employment tribunal, which rejected her claim that she was sacked.

Lemes, 33, worked at the Rocket Bar in Mayfair, central London, for barely a week last year. When she started, female staff wore a loose-fitting uniform, but she was told this would change in summer.

The summer outfit turned out to be a tight-fitting red dress - which she refused to wear, saying it was "disgusting".

An employment tribunal panel led by a judge agreed with her, contrasting it with what male employees of the bar had to wear. "Plainly, it related to her sex. It was gender-specific," they said in their ruling.

"The respondents did not introduce a summer uniform for male waiting staff. Unlike the women, the men were not required to switch to brightly coloured, figure-hugging garb."

Forcing her to wear the dress if she wanted to continue working at the bar "violated her dignity", the panel decided, and created a "humiliating" environment.

The panel found: "Her perception was that wearing the dress would make her feel as if she was on show, as if she was being presented as one of the attractions which the Rocket Bar was offering its customers.

"In our view that perception was legitimate and not unreasonable. We are reinforced in this conclusion by the striking contrast between the dress and the dark, loose-fitting attire which would remain the men's uniform."

But they did not accept her view that she was sacked from the bar, and refused to uphold her claim for 17,000 pounds compensation, saying it was "manifestly absurd".

British newspapers had earlier on Monday published a picture from the social networking website Facebook showing Lemes -- a photographer who does bar work to supplement her income - in a revealing white top, smiling at the camera.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/muslim-waitress-wins-payout-over-figurehugging-dress...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Don't employ muslims
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 9:20am

Muslim or not - these petty compensation cases are sending small businesses to the wall. If she didn't like it - she could have left. No doubt this bar was only trying to attract more business during the recession.

Next time the owner will know better.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:08am

I can see why they upheld her claim, but the question is, why would a muslim be working in a bar in the first place?

I dare say that she is probably no more religious than me, but saw a chance for scamming a few quid on the grounds of her "cultural" sensibilities.

While not solely restricted to "ethnic" groups, it is pretty commonly perceived by many that compo scams are an easy way to get some money.

You may remember the "Carlton Collar", where every second Italian in Lygon Street had a neck support collar on for whiplash, and "Brunswick Back", where walking sticks were the fashion accessory, all terribly necessary until the compo payment arrived. Grin

Compo has actually proved to be a medical miracle cure, in many cases. Grin

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:35am

mantra wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 9:20am:
Muslim or not -

Next time the owner will know better.

I just wander how owner can be better protected from prudent employees, if he obviously cannot discriminate against religion?

This case  stands close to cases when publican was responsible for drunk patron having vehicle accident as driver.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:43am

Mantra, I agree with you but I do think that the employer needs to give full disclosure of requirements and expectations, such as uniforms etc during the interview and give the person the opportunity then and there to decide if the job is for them.

Someone getting full time employment can very quickly make financial committments based on expecting a regular income. It could be a rental committment or something bought on HP, whatever.

A business that my wife and I are part owners of, have a young muslim woman as a member of staff. She wears her hadith make that hijab , is popular with the public and the other staff and is no problem at all. She is lovely.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:20am by locutius »  

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:46am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:08am:
I can see why they upheld her claim, but the question is, why would a muslim be working in a bar in the first place?

I dare say that she is probably no more religious than me, but saw a chance for scamming a few quid on the grounds of her "cultural" sensibilities.

Yeah, true. Presumably she was not wearing the hijab while serving alcohol and it doesn't appear she even sued on religious grounds.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:59am

I can't see why an Allah fearing Muslim woman would be working in a pub, let alone dressing herself as a "prostitute".

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:00am

This is part of the stealth jihad, the litigation jihad.

There will be more and more 'set ups' from muslims bringing claims of varying discriptions, alleging racism, discrimination etc, to get society to change to their way of doing things, and to intimidate and silence all critics and dissent.

Using the processes of democracy, to destroy our democracy.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:05am

Quote:

Agreed 100% mozza, she sounds like nothing but a scammer. But I think your claims that it's mostly an ethnic thing are just ridiculous. There's plenty of Aussies/Brits who do that kind of stuff also. In fact Western women were the ones who pioneered all this discrimination stuff based on sex, so the Muslim woman (who isn't much of a practising Muslim if she's working in a bar anyway) is more likely following Western trends rather than Islamic trends.

locutius,

Quote:
A business that my wife and I are part owners of, have a young muslim woman as a member of staff. She wears her hadith

Sure she doesn't wear her hijab? The hadith is a collection of books, and books generally don't look that good when worn.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:07am

If this was about a Muslim woman's 'right' to wear the hijab while serving alcohol in a pub to pissheads, then that would be a religious dimension. So far all we've got here is a woman who refused to wear clothes she found offensive.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:19am

abu_rashid wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:05am:
Quote:

Agreed 100% mozza, she sounds like nothing but a scammer. But I think your claims that it's mostly an ethnic thing are just ridiculous. There's plenty of Aussies/Brits who do that kind of stuff also. In fact Western women were the ones who pioneered all this discrimination stuff based on sex, so the Muslim woman (who isn't much of a practising Muslim if she's working in a bar anyway) is more likely following Western trends rather than Islamic trends.

locutius,

Quote:
A business that my wife and I are part owners of, have a young muslim woman as a member of staff. She wears her hadith

Sure she doesn't wear her hijab? The hadith is a collection of books, and books generally don't look that good when worn.

Yes, sorry it should have been hijab. Typing while talking to customers on the phone. Although being the book nut that I am, a woman wearing a collection of books would certainly attract my eye.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:21am

Calanen wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:00am:

This is what worries me most.
And have no idea how this can be stopped in a democratic way.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:23am

Happy wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:21am:
Calanen wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:00am:

This is what worries me most.
And have no idea how this can be stopped in a democratic way.

Not sure what you're worried about in this case. She wasn't demanding that cocktail waitresses wear a burka.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:53am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:07am:
If this was about a Muslim woman's 'right' to wear the hijab while serving alcohol in a pub to pissheads, then that would be a religious dimension. So far all we've got here is a woman who refused to wear clothes she found offensive.

That's probably about right. She might have been selfconscious about her body and the dress could have looked awful on her, but she found a loophole and used it to her advantage.

It's still very tough on a small business. Are they supposed to cater to the minority's sensibilities at the expense of their own survival?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:56am

mantra - as per my 1st suggestion - don't employ them.

that's one small business who won't again.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print