Send Topic Print
Avoid thailand ???? (Read 3846 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Avoid thailand ????
May 20th, 2009 at 3:21pm

Quote:
It seemed like a good idea to return to paradise. That was the memory a Melbourne-based American couple had of the Thai holiday island Phuket where they used to live.

When they did return for a short holiday early last month, it became a holiday in hell.

After a night in prison plus $60,000 in mysterious payments through a Kafkaesque legal system, it was a very expensive hell too.

Logan Hesse and Urica Lopez met in Phuket four years ago where they were both working.

In May 2007, the house they were living in burnt down while they were out to dinner with friends.

Mr Hesse says police investigators told them at the time the cause was an electrical fault.

Soon afterwards, they left Thailand to come to Melbourne where they were enrolled as students at La Trobe University.

Mr Hesse revealed his story yesterday following revelations Melbourne tourist Annice Smoel faced jail on the island over the theft of a beer mat.

He believes such cases are due to a tourism downturn because of the global financial crisis and recent civil unrest.

These had bitten into the usual source of `supplementary income' for Phuket's police and other officials, Mr Hesse claims.

"Their pockets are lighter so they are turning on tourists," he said.

Mr Hesse said nothing more had been heard about their house fire until they arrived at Bangkok last month. They were immediately detained and their passports were confiscated by police who told them a Phuket arrest warrant was outstanding for "criminal damage".

The costs started piling up from that point.

The couple were expected to cover the $265 price of an air ticket for a police officer to accompany them on to their island destination.

In Phuket, they were refused permission to speak directly to the US embassy and were slapped in jail for the night.

Their problems were compounded by arriving at the start of the Thai New Year, when all officaldom shuts down for a week.

Although the initial police investigation found an electrical fault was the cause of the fire, a subsequent report some months later changed the cause to a cigarette, even thought they were out at the time.

The house owner was pursuing them for $60,000 in a civil action.

Under Thai law, the civil action had to be resolved before any criminal trial could take place, so they were uable to leave.

Mr Hesse said this could have meant waiting in Thailand for years with no source of income.

The lawyer who claimed he had been appointed by the US embassy then tried to pocket $7000 until they made a fuss in his office.

The pair then negotiated with the house owner to reduce his claim to $50,000 and a further $1500 went to the police to have the matter heard expeditiously.

"In court the judges didn't even speak to us, we just had to hand over a wad of money to the landlord and we were fined 10,000 bhat ($380) for criminal damage," Mr Hesse said.

"We were never able to find if the house was insured.

"I think the landlord was able to organise a second fire investigation, either because he had no insurance or he was under pressure from the bank.

"They knew we would come back because we had friends [in Thailand]."

Mr Hesse said he and Ms Lopez had set up a blog to tell their tale and hopefully recoup some of their total $60,000 in costs  from sympathisers.

The revelations follow a case earlier this year when a British man in Thailand was shackled and jailed for three weeks for ''being rude to officials''.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/return-to-phuket-turns-into-holiday-fro...

following a few recents stories from there , might be better to just avoid the place

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Avoid thailand ????
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2009 at 4:04pm

Might be good idea for Australians to have holidays in Australia, even in order to keep our economy going.

I think that "mat woman" created opportunity, rather that being exploited by locals.

But on the other hand, mat could be irresistible and it was put there to be tampered with.
(Conspiracy theory can be always created)

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2009 at 4:47pm

No need to avoid Thailand.

Just avoid stupidity. Usually. These people in this situation were unlucky, and yes, foreigners always lose in Thailand. And elsewhere in Asia.

The lady that has been charged with taking that bar mat, argued angrily with a General in the Thai police. In front of his troops. Knowing the Asian psyche as I do, the only thing that was going to guarantee, was that she was nailed to the wall. She is going to have to apologise, profusely, to the General, and everyone else, unless she has some real good friends in Canberra.

Soldiers often have those friends in Canberra - doubt she will. One never knows.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2009 at 9:32pm

yes, avoid at all costs, and most other parts of SE Asia, as well.
i can't believe how stupid australians are.
we really are a bunch of dumb f*cks.
DR9.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2009 at 2:16am

Quote:
.............According to a survey conducted by Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC) in 2008, expatriates perceive the level of corruption in Thailand to be among the highest in Asia. The main source of corruption in Thailand is known as 'money politics', a term that refers to the flow of money within the political scene. This is confirmed by the Transparency International Global Corruption Barometer 2007, where the political parties are named by Thais as the most corrupt sector in Thailand...............

Quote:
However, Thailand's investment climate continues to suffer from several issues. According to the World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness Report 2008-2009, companies consider corruption to be the fourth most major barrier to doing business in Thailand after government and policy instability, and inefficient government bureaucracy. Corruption is indeed a significant problem in Thailand,

http://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/east-asia-the-pacific/t...

in a corrupt country, people with money (tourists) may be arrested as a shakedown for cash.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2009 at 10:31am

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 2:16am:

in a corrupt country, people with money (tourists) may be arrested as a shakedown for cash.

I heard a lot of bad Asian stories too, but it is possible to survive, bullying, overzealous Sargent in the army, psyhopatic boss even concentration camp.

Of course bad luck can strike at any time, but being invisible (sensibly and modestly dressed, quiet, polite) can help survival rate enormously.

IP Logged

northy

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2009 at 11:22pm

Calanen wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 4:47pm:

Just avoid stupidity. Usually. These people in this situation were unlucky, and yes, foreigners always lose in Thailand. And elsewhere in Asia.

The lady that has been charged with taking that bar mat, argued angrily with a General in the Thai police. In front of his troops. Knowing the Asian psyche as I do, the only thing that was going to guarantee, was that she was nailed to the wall. She is going to have to apologise, profusely, to the General, and everyone else, unless she has some real good friends in Canberra.

Soldiers often have those friends in Canberra - doubt she will. One never knows.

Friday 22nd I listened to Micheal Smith on 4bc interview the owner of the Aussie bar (he is an Australian).
The owner said that there were a couple of off duty police in the bar at the time and saw the bar mat being nicked.
The cops chatted her but apparently she tried to do a runner but was quickly caught.
When they caught her she abused them and subsequently refused to sign any statement(s) which meant the matter could not proceed to court.
According to the bar owner, her problem was entirely of her own making. (silly arrogant cow)

I am all for expecting people who come to our country to obey our laws and have regard for our culture and I also think that it is an entirely reasonable requirement on us when we visit any other country.

If what the bar owner claimed is true, this woman can consider herself very lucky that a Thai official stuck his neck out for her but because of her lousy behaviour, other decent Australian tourists may face a tough time.

Cheers.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2009 at 11:30pm

I agree completely, avoid breaking the law, or avoid getting caught, and this woman could do neither.
I heard her interviewed on Radio when they started campaigning for her, and I did not believe a single word she said, and this was before the further evidence from the bar owner came to light.

I had to laugh when she said she feared she would be the next schappelle corby, I thought how appropriate is that comparison? guilty as sin, and lying through your teeth with ridiculous excuses, yep, that is bound to impress the local authorities.

A simple apology, and a small fine would have seen the matter dealt with, but then she would not get to sell her harrowing tale to all the tabloid media outlets, she should make a good quid from this.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2009 at 10:49am

mozzaok - Quote:
A simple apology, and a small fine would have seen the matter dealt with

a simple bribe paid works well there ........

Quote:
Natalie Appleby and her fiance know all too well the problems Annice Smoel faced - the Perth couple went through a similar ordeal last month.

While Mrs Smoel, a mother of four, is safely back in Melbourne after spending four nights in a Thai jail on charges of stealing a $50 bar mat, Ms Appleby still shivers at how her fiance suffered a similar - and much more expensive - fate.

Like Mrs Smoel, Ms Appleby's fiance - who only wanted to be identified by his first name, Michael - went for a drink in the popular Aussie Bar in Phuket.

He had surprised Ms Appleby, who travelled to Thailand last month to act as bridesmaid at a friend's wedding, by travelling to Phuket.

On his first night in Phuket, and the night before the wedding, Michael went with a group of people to the Aussie Bar.

"He doesn't remember finishing his second drink. The next morning he had no recollection of the night but found he had woken up in a Phuket jail," Ms Appleby told WAtoday.com.au.

Michael managed to find an English-speaking detective in the jail and made a phone call to his worried fiance.

Her father went to see Michael, and things began to get worse.

"First of all they tried to charge him with stealing, but a Thai lady there said the shop he was accused of stealing from was actually closed," Ms Appleby said.

"They then said they had made a mistake and charged him with damaging the roof of a house. There weren't any houses there, but they said it would cost $5000 for the charges to go away. They said if we talked to the Australian Consulate, (Michael) would be taken to the Bangkok Hilton (the notorious Thai jail, Bangkwang prison)."

After negotiating with a detective - "he wanted the money in an envelope" - the family paid $3000 to have the charges dropped. Ms Smoel pleaded guilty to her charges - in order to leave Thailand - was fined $38 and placed on a good behaviour bond.

"(The detective) told us everything would be sweet and to enjoy the rest of our holiday," Ms Appleby said.

"We could've done like (Mrs Smoel) and fought the charges but he would've been there for quite a few more days. Michael was obviously petrified. There were big, big grey patches in what they were charging him with."

Michael left Thailand for Perth almost immediately. Ms Appleby suspected his drink had been spiked, and said the incidents were a warning for Australians visiting the tourist mecca.

"People need to know to watch out. You need to be with friends and they need to be watching out for each other," she said.

"You have to be careful of having a big night. It's a shame. I don't want to say don't go there, because it can be good, but maybe the bad publicity will make them clean up their act. People there say this sort of thing is happening all the time and Thai prostitutes will drop drugs into Westerners drinks."

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/3000-the-price-of-thai-justice-20090522...

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2009 at 8:07pm

to the poster who dissed Ms Corby.
Got some info no-one has got, do we?
Don't assume anything, unless you've the proof.
Crystal Ball: we'll be at war with the near east soon, and we won't be allies.
DR9.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2009 at 8:31pm

I suppose that you refute her guilt, so what, the ones that count, the judges, did not agree.

I suppose the fact that her whole family had links to the drug trade impresses some with her pathetic claim that someone put the drugs in without her knowledge, but I have no sympathy for those who try and garner support through sensationalising events with a media circus, it is the absolute, dumbest way to go.

She should have kept sthtum, organised a bribe, and been home for her next birthday.

Maybe a dingo did it?

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2009 at 9:09pm

Happy wrote on May 20th, 2009 at 4:04pm:
Might be good idea for Australians to have holidays in Australia, even in order to keep our economy going.

It is a great idea not just because economy but Australia is a very diverse country geographically and as climate and scenery goes and all else does not matter.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #12 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:01am

northy wrote on May 23rd, 2009 at 11:22pm:

Friday 22nd I listened to Micheal Smith on 4bc interview the owner of the Aussie bar (he is an Australian).
The owner said that there were a couple of off duty police in the bar at the time and saw the bar mat being nicked.
The cops chatted her but apparently she tried to do a runner but was quickly caught.
When they caught her she abused them and subsequently refused to sign any statement(s) which meant the matter could not proceed to court.
According to the bar owner, her problem was entirely of her own making. (silly arrogant cow)

I am all for expecting people who come to our country to obey our laws and have regard for our culture and I also think that it is an entirely reasonable requirement on us when we visit any other country.

If what the bar owner claimed is true, this woman can consider herself very lucky that a Thai official stuck his neck out for her but because of her lousy behaviour, other decent Australian tourists may face a tough time.

Cheers.

Yeah. Good advice to avoid Thailand - for bogans. They just embarrass other Australians by their behaviour.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #13 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:47am

muso wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 11:01am:
northy wrote on May 23rd, 2009 at 11:22pm:

Cheers.

Yeah. Good advice to avoid Thailand - for bogans. They just embarrass other Australians by their behaviour.

All sounds good to me. I'll ditto these three comments.

Holidaying in Oz is also a good option anytime. Just got back from Hamilton Island...it was fantastic. Still prefer Port Douglas though. Planning a driving holiday around Tassie for next year, have to make it crayfish season of course.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Coral Sea

American Politics

Chicago
Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 1:26am

This doesn't seem like any particular reason to avoid Thailand.  The real damage here seems to be the civil action, which could happen in a Western country.  I'm sure you all read about lawsuit horror stories from time to time.

Regarding the petty corruption, I don't see the fuss.  Such corruption is standard to undeveloped nations.  It hardly seems like a mystery that you have to pay to play, even for the most minor of things.  I've lost count of the number of Mexican government functionaries I've given a "taste" in order to smooth things along.

And of course, it seems that the couple brought this upon themselves through low-level criminality, arrogance, and rudeness.  Regardless of the nation you happen to be in and regardless of your nationality such behavior does not go unpunished.

"General, these are American regulars. In a hundred and fifty years they have never been beaten. They will hold."&&-- Col. Preston Brown, C/S, 2nd Division, the Marne, June 1, 1918

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:03pm

LOL - now the Japanese have something similar to cringe about:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25620043-3102,00.html

Dunno about imprisonment. LOL  Hmmm not a bad looker too.  Wink

I think I should see you in my chambers right now  Grin

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:11pm

muso wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:03pm:
I think I should see you in my chambers right now  Grin

bugger that! The bitch is a bunny boiler.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:21pm

Should not be allowed to teach law, not in Australia anyway.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:23pm

My recommendation would be to plead the lesser charge of indecent exposure rather than trying to bribe the Judge.

Add new colour to the expression PERVERTING the course of Justice though.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:47pm by locutius »  

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #19 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Happy wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:21pm:
Should not be allowed to teach law, not in Australia anyway.

Happy, IF she gets off ALL charges they'll probably make her a Professor of Law.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #20 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:49pm

All Rise, for the case of CROWN vs Short and Curly

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:59pm

locutius wrote on Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:49pm:

Good name for a law firm... Short and Curley - Attorneys at Law.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #22 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 4:36pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:59pm:
locutius wrote on Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:49pm:

Good name for a law firm... Short and Curley - Attorneys at Law.

Don't for get the other Partners

As woody Allen would say "I object, your honor! This trial is a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham."

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Re: Avoid thailand ????Avoid Australia????
Reply #23 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 3:34pm

US murder charge could follow honeymoon death conviction
Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009 10:17am AEST
Updated Sun Jun 7, 2009 10:52am AEST

Possible sentence appeal ... US couple David and Tina Watson (ABC TV News)

A Supreme Court judge in Brisbane last week jailed David Gabriel Watson for 12 months after he pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

The court heard he allowed his wife Tina Watson to drown during a diving trip off Townsville in 2003.

Media reports suggest Alabama's Attorney-General will lobby for an appeal, and may seek to have Watson charged with murder again when he is deported back to his home state.

The Queensland Attorney-General is also considering an appeal against the sentence.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/07/2591516.htm

Yes avoid Australia unless you have someone you want to kill and then recieve some of the lightest penalties in the Western world after making up a superlame story with more holes in it than a bait net. What an embarressing outcome in the least, and completely unjust and insensitive for the family. This is a guy that truly deserves to be in shackles on the slowwalk to lethal injection.

A trained rescue diver that could not save the love of his life in clear calm water from 20 feet away. Yeah right. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #24 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 6:18pm

That case horrified me. I mean what kind of person would do that? Couldn't he have simply not married her if he hated her that much? What a waste of a young life.

IP Logged

Coral Sea

American Politics

Chicago
Reply #25 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 2:48am

Had he pulled that stunt in the USA he likely would've been charged with murder one and received life in prison or the death penalty.

"General, these are American regulars. In a hundred and fifty years they have never been beaten. They will hold."&&-- Col. Preston Brown, C/S, 2nd Division, the Marne, June 1, 1918

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #26 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 3:26pm

Coral Sea wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 2:48am:
Had he pulled that stunt in the USA he likely would've been charged with murder one and received life in prison or the death penalty.

Let's hope that oportunity presents itself.

It seems to me that the trial should be held in the country/state of the person that has been killed. Certainly in the case of countries we share a strong political and cultural relationship with as a minimum.

IP Logged

Coral Sea

American Politics

Chicago
Reply #27 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 6:19am

locutius wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 3:26pm:
Let's hope that oportunity presents itself.

It seems to me that the trial should be held in the country/state of the person that has been killed. Certainly in the case of countries we share a strong political and cultural relationship with as a minimum.

That would require the return of extraterritoriality, which post-Westphalian states are loathe to permit.

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 8:38pm

mozzaok wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 8:31pm:
I suppose that you refute her guilt, so what, the ones that count, the judges, did not agree.

I suppose the fact that her whole family had links to the drug trade impresses some with her pathetic claim that someone put the drugs in without her knowledge, but I have no sympathy for those who try and garner support through sensationalising events with a media circus, it is the absolute, dumbest way to go.

She should have kept sthtum, organised a bribe, and been home for her next birthday.

Maybe a dingo did it?

Got news for you.
Ms Corby may be in jail, but she's making more money than you ever will.
by the time she gets out, there will be a tidy little nest(millions, my boy, millions) egg waiting for her in a Swiss Bank.
the family have set this up, and no legal system can stop it.
Even Ms Corby doesn't care if she's guilty or innocent.
She'd be mad to come back here, though, to a country that really should start looking at their multicultural policy.
DR9.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #29 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:03am

djrbfm wrote on Jun 19th, 2009 at 8:38pm:
mozzaok wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 8:31pm:

Maybe a dingo did it?

Got news for you.
Ms Corby may be in jail, but she's making more money than you ever will.
by the time she gets out, there will be a tidy little nest(millions, my boy, millions) egg waiting for her in a Swiss Bank.
the family have set this up, and no legal system can stop it.
Even Ms Corby doesn't care if she's guilty or innocent.
She'd be mad to come back here, though, to a country that really should start looking at their multicultural policy.
DR9.

So she is going to be a well rewarded drug pusher. A type of cretin that is far too common unfortunately. Thanks for the good news that she won't be coming back.  Smiley

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #30 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 12:16am

i'd rather have one S. Corby in Australia than thousands of wankers like you, sir - and i use that term very loosely.
what you are doing controlling anything, far less a web board, is beyond me.

i hope your brick head can understand this -
she is a pawn - a scape goat - it's political - get it?
it could have been any one of dozens of other ppl doing the same sort of thing over there.
she was just unlucky, maybe singled out.
the drug trade from Australia to Bali is still flourishing, but it's topical anymore.
Ms Corby is suffering cruel and unusual punishment, it does not matter what for.
that whole area is a tourist trap/ripoff.
you should go over and live amongst the natives - just your style.
DR9.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #31 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 1:38am

Going back to the case of the diver who murdered his new wife, I'm not so sure about that one. I don't know what his motive was.
As a "trained rescue diver" myself, I can say that it's really no big deal to get a rescue divier card. Some people go through course after course to fast track themselves to attain "diver guru" status. The diving industry of course encourages this, it's money for them.
I've seen a lot of very very well qualified people do some ridiculously stupid things underwater...and I won't say that I'm not guilty of going against the book myself, but I'd only ever put myself at risk.
In a lot of cases, a relatively new divier will have more common sense underwater than somebody who shows you their log book of how many dives they've done. Some people panic badly underwater, I've seen that a lot of times.
I wouldn't place too much credence on a "rescue diver card", some poor instructors will throw them at you as long as you pay the money.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #32 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:12am

Quote:
i'd rather have one S. Corby in Australia than thousands of wankers like you, sir - and i use that term very loosely.

I'm not sure where the subject went from Thailand to Indonesia, but I do agree that Corby is very much a scape-goat.
From what I've heard, you can buy magic mushies by the kilo over there. The surfers and other travellers probably enjoy a bit of pot, so I'd think there would be a good market for it.. much better than doing mushies in that environment.
They're just stupid Islam stuffups, they don't know which drug is good for their tourism industry.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #33 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 7:48am

djrbfm wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 12:16am:
what you are doing controlling anything, far less a web board, is beyond me.

i hope your brick head can understand this -
she is a pawn - a scape goat - it's political - get it?
it could have been any one of dozens of other ppl doing the same sort of thing over there.
she was just unlucky, maybe singled out.
the drug trade from Australia to Bali is still flourishing, but it's topical anymore.
Ms Corby is suffering cruel and unusual punishment, it does not matter what for.
that whole area is a tourist trap/ripoff.
you should go over and live amongst the natives - just your style.
DR9.

Scape goat/ schmape goat. She's a convicted drug smuggler, and she's guilty as hell. The fact that she's a young, pretty blonde (well she was - she's starting to look a bit fugly) has nothing to do with it. If you break the law in other countries, then you have to face the consequences. She's no different to other convicted drug smugglers in Indonesia or anywhere else for that matter.

Of course we'll always have the bogans within Australian society who say - "that could be our daughter". They have this attitude that Indonesians are somehow inferior and that Corby is the innocent victim.

Well the whole Corby family seem to be the biggest bunch of bogans and low-lifes around. They deserve everything they get, except for the millions they make out of selling their story. The only good thing about that is that they will probably end up killing and maiming each other fighting over it.

You seem proud of the fact that they'll make millions. What is this - revenge of the bogans?
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:20am by muso »  

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:48am

Amadd wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:12am:
Quote:

I'm not sure where the subject went from Thailand to Indonesia, but I do agree that Corby is very much a scape-goat.
From what I've heard, you can buy magic mushies by the kilo over there. The surfers and other travellers probably enjoy a bit of pot, so I'd think there would be a good market for it.. much better than doing mushies in that environment.
They're just stupid Islam stuffups, they don't know which drug is good for their tourism industry.

She has avoided Thailand?

And on the bright side ... she has avoided commie China, world recession, made money for lots of media people, probably will make money for herself so she won't be a burden on Australian taxpayer and very likely that she will make a good old fashion entertaining movie like "Midnight express".
She also met lots of interesting people like may be Amrosi, eaten lots of carry or whatever they have in Indonesia and probably drunk lots of green tea as well.
Looking at above I can see why some people are envious of her. Usual tall poppy syndrome no doubt.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:06pm

From what I can work out, our "couriers" because of their former successes, from time to time get too blatant, hoping that if worse comes to worse they can bribe themselves out of it.

Most of the times it works perfectly, but sometimes it doesn't.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #36 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Muso, calling them bogans is extremely offensive to them as white trash I hope you know. And nothing is trashier than rich white trash. Cool

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #37 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:28pm

Quote:
Scape goat/ schmape goat. She's a convicted drug smuggler, and she's guilty as hell. The fact that she's a young, pretty blonde (well she was - she's starting to look a bit fugly) has nothing to do with it. If you break the law in other countries, then you have to face the consequences. She's no different to other convicted drug smugglers in Indonesia or anywhere else for that matter.

I agree that she's the stupid bogan that caught, however, I think that the reasons for the harsh penalty were more so because they wanted her case to be a deterrent to other importers of the evil drug marijuana.
The motive for not wanting marijuana in their country is nothing to do with people's health, it's all economic.
The MJ was undoubtedly destined for tourists, and they don't want the tourists sitting on the beach smoking doobies, they want them out in the bars spending money on legally imported, and much more harmful drugs, such as alcohol. In fact, compared to other drugs such as tobacco, alcohol, caffiene, pharmaceuticals, pharmaceuticals and more pharmaceuticals, marijuana can be directly attributed to a relatively low number of deaths - that's if you consider "zero" a relatively low number.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #38 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 7:49pm

Amadd wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 1:38am:
Going back to the case of the diver who murdered his new wife, I'm not so sure about that one. I don't know what his motive was.

She had a hefty insurance policy taken out by him not long before they were married. That's why his sentence was so unbelievable.

Quote:
Well the whole Corby family seem to be the biggest bunch of bogans and low-lifes around. They deserve everything they get, except for the millions they make out of selling their story. The only good thing about that is that they will probably end up killing and maiming each other fighting over it.

You seem proud of the fact that they'll make millions. What is this - revenge of the bogans?

I don't think they were Corby's drugs, but I think she probably suspected that they were in there. Possibly her brothers, and she just turned a blind eye, but I doubt she expected such a long sentence. By the time she realised how harsh it was going to be - there wouldn't have been any point dobbing him in.

As far as the money goes - she's losing 20 years of her youth. When she gets out, she'll be too old for a family and her looks will be gone. The money might be some compensation - but I'm sure she would give it all up just to be free again.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 12:37pm

yes, stay away from ANY muslim country

Quote:
UPDATE: FOUR foreigners have been killed and an Australian injured in explosions at two five-star hotels in the Indonesian capital Jakarta.

Bombs exploded at the Ritz-Carlton and Marriott hotels, ripping the facade off the Ritz, police said.

South Jakarta police Col Firman Bundi said four who died were foreigners, reported AP.

"There were explosions heard from two separate places, one the JW Marriott, the other in the Ritz Carlton," he said.

"We are still trying to check because right now we are still helping the victims."

An Associated Press reporter saw three injured taken away from the Ritz.

A witness reported seeing bodies inside the Marriot...............

...........It's the second time the Jakarta Marriott has been the subject of terrorist attacks. In August, 2003, 12 people were killed and 150 were injured when it was bombed by terrorist group Jemaah Islamiah.

The Australian Embassy was also bombed by terrorists in September 2004 when 11 people were killed and 150 injured. None were Australians.

The Australian Government issued a warning earlier this week that people should reconsider travel to Indonesia, including Bali, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack.

"We continue to receive credible information that terrorists could be planning attacks in Indonesia and that Bali remains an attractive target for terrorists. You should exercise great care, particularly around locations that have a low level of protective security," the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advice said.

"If you do decide to travel to Indonesia, you should exercise extreme caution.
"Previous terrorist attacks against Westerners in Bali and Jakarta indicate these areas are priority targets. You should take particular care to avoid places known to be terrorist targets."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25795236-952,00.html

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 12:51pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 17th, 2009 at 12:37pm:

Quote:
UPDATE: FOUR foreigners have been killed and an Australian injured in explosions at two five-star hotels in the Indonesian capital Jakarta.

Bombs exploded at the Ritz-Carlton and Marriott hotels, ripping the facade off the Ritz, police said.

South Jakarta police Col Firman Bundi said four who died were foreigners, reported AP.

"There were explosions heard from two separate places, one the JW Marriott, the other in the Ritz Carlton," he said.

"We are still trying to check because right now we are still helping the victims."

An Associated Press reporter saw three injured taken away from the Ritz.

A witness reported seeing bodies inside the Marriot...............

...........It's the second time the Jakarta Marriott has been the subject of terrorist attacks. In August, 2003, 12 people were killed and 150 were injured when it was bombed by terrorist group Jemaah Islamiah.

The Australian Embassy was also bombed by terrorists in September 2004 when 11 people were killed and 150 injured. None were Australians.

The Australian Government issued a warning earlier this week that people should reconsider travel to Indonesia, including Bali, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack.

"We continue to receive credible information that terrorists could be planning attacks in Indonesia and that Bali remains an attractive target for terrorists. You should exercise great care, particularly around locations that have a low level of protective security," the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advice said.

"If you do decide to travel to Indonesia, you should exercise extreme caution.
"Previous terrorist attacks against Westerners in Bali and Jakarta indicate these areas are priority targets. You should take particular care to avoid places known to be terrorist targets."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25795236-952,00.html

Yes it is clear that only silly bogans travel to muslim countries.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #41 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 1:27am

Quote:
She had a hefty insurance policy taken out by him not long before they were married. That's why his sentence was so unbelievable.

I haven't followed this case at all, but upon reading a little bit about it, there's a few things there which don't make sense to me - but why would a murder of this type make any sense anyway?

If this was a planned insurance job, why would he choose a crime scene where there were so many other divers around that he couldn't be sure that he wasn't being watched? He could've simply done a shore dive and come back alone.
From the pictures I see, it seems that he was batting above his average. If I had oodles of cash, then scuba diving around the world with such an attractive young woman wouldn't be a bad way to spend it.

He claimed that Tina had panicked in strong currents, pulling his mask and breathing gear from his face, and that he had been unable to rescue her as the currents took her away.

That to me is an entirely believable situation. By the time you clear your mask, your dive buddy could be well out visibility. 10-15m is usually considered pretty good visibility.

He said Mr Watson had "talked down" his rescue diver qualifications, saying he was not qualified to bring a person to the surface, a statement heavily contradicted by his US dive instructor.

That I don't believe. Bringing a person to suface is what the rescue diver course focusses on.
But approaching a person in panic mode is a different kettle of fish. You'd want to stay clear of them so that both lives aren't put at risk.

The inquest heard he had even undergone specialised training in helping divers who panicked or fell unconscious.

So what is the difference between approaching a diver in panic and an unconscious diver? There's a big difference.

Mr Watson claimed that his dive computer had malfunctioned. That could explain why dive instructor Singleton, even carrying the body of Tina, took half the time to ascend twice the distance from the ocean floor as Mr Watson. But DS Campbell said they had found no evidence of malfunction.

I can't believe that one. The computer doesn't lie, and it seems that he ambled quite safely to the surface.
Deco sickness (or the bends) isn't really a huge risk at less than 30m, but even if it were to occur, the sickness would be easily cured. If I were trying to pull off such a crime, I'd dart back to the surface to make the story more believable. But then again, maybe he wanted to be sure that she was beyond saving.

The detective added that there were concerns about the different reasons Mr Watson gave to try to explain why he was unable to go to his wife's aid, including ear problems and the fact she was sinking too fast.

Ear problems may seem quite minor in the circumstance, but being unable to equalise can cause excruciating pain. The only way to stop the pain and the risk of popping your ear drums is to ascend a few metres to equalise properly before attemtping to descend again.

Mr Watson had argued soon after the tragedy that, had he known how strong the currents were, he would never have dived with his wife, who had completed only 12 open water dives.
But dive organisers insist all the divers were properly briefed on the water conditions and add that Mr and Mrs Watson had already dived once before on the fateful day.

If she had only completed 12 OW dives, then she shouldn't have been allowed to do a wreck dive, especially if there were currents present.
Most times, the dive operators don't know the conditions underwater until they're told of the conditions. This wreck lies in 14-28m of water, the max. depth for an open water diver is 18m.

A police dive re-enactment found that Tina's body should have been located much nearer to the wreck. Singleton found her about 50ft away. And post-mortem examinations also found Tina may have suffered oxygen deprivation before drowning.

I can't see how they could re-enact the currents present on the day. And yes, oxygen deprivation and drowning usually go hand in hand.

DS Campbell told the inquest that witnesses had seen Mr Watson holding an unmoving Tina "in a bear-hug" face-to-face for ten seconds before letting her go and swimming to the surface.

Really? Then what did the witnesses do after seeing this murder in front of their eyes?
Did they go to the aid of the "unmoving Tina" like any logical person would do, or did they continue with their dive?
That doesn't make sense at all.

Dive photographer Uzi Barnai, who was on the Spoil Sport when Tina was brought to the surface, was questioned at the inquest about the impact of a diver's air tank being turned off while they were underwater.
Mr Barnai said air tanks could only be turned off at one place - a valve at the top - and that while experienced divers could probably turn it back on themselves, "no way" would an inexperienced diver such as Tina be able to do it.

Of course an inexperienced diver could reach around and turn their air back on - if they have arms and hands that is. That's just ludicrous.
And would somebody planning an underwater job rely on the fact that their victim could not accomplish such a simple feat as turning their air back on?

Anyway, I'm not convinced.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2009 at 1:33am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #42 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 7:27am

Amadd wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:28pm:
I agree that she's the stupid bogan that caught, however, I think that the reasons for the harsh penalty were more so because they wanted her case to be a deterrent to other importers of the evil drug marijuana.
The motive for not wanting marijuana in their country is nothing to do with people's health, it's all economic.
The MJ was undoubtedly destined for tourists, and they don't want the tourists sitting on the beach smoking doobies, they want them out in the bars spending money on legally imported, and much more harmful drugs, such as alcohol. In fact, compared to other drugs such as tobacco, alcohol, caffiene, pharmaceuticals, pharmaceuticals and more pharmaceuticals, marijuana can be directly attributed to a relatively low number of deaths - that's if you consider "zero" a relatively low number.

- and I thought I was a cynic  Grin

I didn't think the Balinese were quite as astute or organised as that.
It was probably a deterrent as you say, but more of an attempt to clean things up once and for all.  

Still....There's a lot of nepotism and corruption at all levels in developing countries (I could tell you some interesting stories). I don't think there was a single motivating factor, but I think the sentence would have been a lot less harsh if we didn't have the public reaction that we did in Australia.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2009 at 7:34am by muso »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #43 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 7:31am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 17th, 2009 at 12:37pm:

Some Muslim countries are fun. Dubai (in the Emirates) is a great place to buy 18 and 24 ct gold at a very very low price.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print