Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
David Kilcullen, opening the eyes of Muslims (Read 5648 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
David Kilcullen, opening the eyes of Muslims
May 9th, 2009 at 10:41pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on May 7th, 2009 at 9:32am:
Kilcullen is one of the most informed (and probably the most intertesting) authority on Islamism and counter-insurgency in the world. I have watched hours of his discussions about these subjects and he is as revealing about them as anyone could possibly be.

In one of them he discusses how he and his team deactivated areas in Iraq. Not by killing in the instance he described but by first capturing and holding senior al Qaeda operatives. When local Iraqi insurgents were captured, he would show them who al Qaeda really were. Local insurgents were duped into thinking they were fighting a righteous cause and that their noble leaders supported the fight. When they were shown who they were fighting for, what were they? Non-Iraqis, all serious criminals - i.e. murderers, rapists, armed robbers etc - most covered in tattoos, many of them dealing drugs on Iraqi streets and controlling crime gangs on the streets. This had the effect of shocking most Iraqi insurgents into realising who they were really fighting for - a common crime gang - and quickly coming to the conclusion that this filth was hardly worth the price of fighting or losing one's life for.

Kilcullen goes on to explain that in these kind of wars, an extremely small but sufficiently psychopathic element can 'infect' (as he terms it), a local population and they do it by exploiting whatever local problem is causing grief in a local area, which will generally have nothing to do with an Islamist agenda.

I suggest you watch/read as much as you can about David Kilcullen. He is so highly regarded everywhere within US Administrations and by the US public that, as one interviewer has put it, 'no foreign citizen has done more for the United States in time of war since Colonel Thaddeus Kosciusko helped an insurgent army liberate these shores some 200 years ago'.

Abu, I would appreciate your view on this, especially in light of your admission that you automatically side with the Muslim against the non-Muslim unless you have proof that the Muslim was in the wrong. Doesn't this culture make Muslims like naive children open to exploitation by any psychopath with political ambition? Isn't it responsible for the death of so many Muslims who were unnecessarily dragged into wars they had no need to fight in, merely because it was nominally a war between Muslims and non-Muslims? Isn't it responsible for all the Iraqis killing their fellow Iraqis who are trying to set up a functioning state, because they associate them with an unIslamic influence? Isn't it responsible for the slaughter of these ill trained and poorly funded insurgents in a war that would be of no benefit to them if they won?

I guess it is telling that you said you would prefer Iraqis to remain living under Saddam than under a democratically elected leader. You showed the same irrational rejection of the new democracy on the grounds that it was established by America that these drug dealers and thugs no doubt exploit to get foolish Iraqis to die in the ongoing civil war. Meanwhile, in the absence of a functioning state, crime pays well.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

The Warrigal

Australian Politics

Re: David Kilcullen, opening the eyes of Muslims
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2009 at 3:33pm

Kilcullen does seem to be very highly regarded amongst Australian and NATO strategists.

The following article, although not written by David Kilcullen, was passed onto me by a former military acquaintance.

It should be of interest to those who are observing these affairs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

- Pajamas Media - http://pajamasmedia.com -

Words Matter in the War on Terror

Posted By Raymond Ibrahim On May 4, 2009 @ 12:35 am In . Positioning, Homeland Security, Middle East, Politics, US News, World News | 24 Comments

Knowledge is inextricably linked to language. The less accurate words are, the less accurate the knowledge they impart; conversely, the more precise the language, the more precise the knowledge. In the war on terror, to acquire accurate knowledge — which is pivotal to victory — we need to begin with accurate language.

Would the free world have understood the Nazi threat if, instead of calling them what they called themselves, “Nazis,” it had opted to simply call them “extremists” — a word wholly overlooking the racist, expansionary, and supremacist elements that are part and parcel of the word “Nazi”?

Unfortunately, the U.S. government, apparently oblivious to this interconnection between language and knowledge, appears to be doing just that. Even [1] President Obama alluded to this soon after taking office when he said, “Words matter in this situation because one of the ways we’re going to win this struggle [war on terror] is through the battle of [Muslims'] hearts and minds.”

According to an [2] official memo, when talking about Islamists and their goals, analysts are to refrain from using Arabic words of Islamic significance (”mujahidin,” “salafi,” “ummah”); nor should they employ helpful English or anglicized words (”jihadi,” “Islamo-fascism,” “caliphate”). Instead, vague generics (”terrorists,” “extremists,” “totalitarians”) should suffice.

A renewed defense of this disturbing trend was recently published by one Colonel [3] Jeffrey Vordermark and deserves examination. After suggesting that Americans “love to throw around foreign words,” Vordermark writes:

We have fallen into the “jihad” trap. The term is used in casual banter yet most remain clueless regarding its origin or meanings. We think, therefore we know. Pundits, academics, and laymen profess to know its meaning, and the term is daily news in the mouths of reporters and in the banners of headlines. Unfortunately, its very use assumes that Islam is simple and monolithic. … As a nation and society, we could not be more incorrect.

While lofty sounding, this view is riddled with problems. First, by seeking to excise the word “jihad” from public discourse, due to the erroneous notion that that term is apparently unknowable, this position is self-defeatist.

“Jihad” has a very precise, juristic definition; more to the point, Sunni Islam — which accounts for nearly 90% of the Islamic world — is, in fact, “simple and monolithic,” thanks to the totalitarian nature of Islamic law (Sharia), which categorizes all possible human actions as being either forbidden, discouraged, legitimate, recommended, or obligatory. Indeed, of the major religions of the world, none is perhaps so black and white, so clear cut as Islam, which meticulously delineates to Muslims the correct “way” of living (”way,” incidentally, being the literal definition of the word “Sharia”).

Thus to try to portray Islam and its institutions as somehow “otherworldly” and unfathomable — so let’s just not bother trying to understand in the first place — is not only folly, but precisely what the Islamists themselves most desire: to guard Islam’s more troubling doctrines, such as jihad, from infidel scrutiny.

Vordermark continues:

Historically the term [jihad] applied to the concept of either a “greater jihad,” or a “lesser jihad.” The former denoting the daily struggle of the believer to overcome “self” in the pursuit of Allah’s will, and the latter traditionally meaning defense of religion, family, or homeland [emphasis added].

Let’s for the time being overlook the hackneyed stress on the so-called greater-lesser jihad dichotomy — which, semantics and sophistry aside, does not invalidate the lesser jihad (i.e., armed warfare). The real problem here is that Vordermark’s assertion that the military “jihad” has been “traditionally” limited to “defensive warfare” is totally false.

Even so, Vordermark is to be excused; he warns us about accepting definitions of “jihad” from “pundits, academics, and laymen,” and surely his falls into this category. Thus let us dispense once and for all with infidel-based definitions — including my own — and see what Islam’s own most revered authorities have to say about what “jihad” really means:

First, it needs to be borne in mind that Sunni Islam is wholly dependent on the various rulings (ahkam) of the so-called four schools of jurisprudence (al-madhahib al-arba’). I am currently reading an Arabic manual called Al-Tarbiya al-Jihadiya fi Daw’ al-Kitab wa al-Sunna (”The Jihadi Upbringing in Light of the Koran and Sunna”), written by one Sheikh Abd al-Aziz bin Nasir al-Jalil. After closely examining the word “jihad,” he concludes that “jihad is when Muslims wage war on infidels, after having called on them to embrace Islam or at least pay tribute [jizya] and live in submission, and then they refuse.”

The book also contains ter

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Yes. Kilcullen doesn't use the word 'jihadi' to describe al Qaeda operatives, for example, as it gives the the legitimacy they crave among Muslims, which the vast majority refuse to offer. He terms them taqfiri, which means outcasts or excommunicated ones and more accurately describes them. They are mostly criminal filth that are about as close to the cause of Islam as a drug running biker is to a Salvation Army Appeal.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:33pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 4:11pm:
Yes. Kilcullen doesn't use the word 'jihadi' to describe al Qaeda operatives, for example, as it gives the the legitimacy they crave among Muslims, which the vast majority refuse to offer.

That's idiotic. Do you think that anything infidels say about the terrorists gives them legitimacy? They don't care what we say. Our terms are meaningless.

This re-labelling muslim terrorists as 'pirates' and 'criminals' fails to name them as they are, and say they are, Islamic terrorists who do this because of Islam. Whatever we call them is completely irrelevant to both muslim terrorists and the rest of the Islamic world - our view, our labels, our words do not count - except to the extent they can be used as leverage against us.

This bizarre labelling expirement is just a new part of the Islamic coverup - to hide the fact that the reason for these acts of terror is because these people believe that Islam requires them to do it.

Quote:
They are mostly criminal filth that are about as close to the cause of Islam as a drug running biker is to a Salvation Army Appeal.

Which is why they have conquered Afghanistan, Waziristan and Swat - because they were un-Islamic and had no support with the local people? The billions in aid that has supplied weapons and ammo to them for the last 8 years, came from just a few people were were also misunderstanders of Islam?

You don't know what Islam says Helian. You have unilaterally decided that Islam doesn't support or condone anything the terrorists does, well, just because you think that would be in breach of the First Holy Law of Multiculturalism which is "ALL RELIGIONS ARE GOOD" . So you ignore any evidence of the contrary in Islam, and keep defaulting to what your Leftist masters have made you rote learn believe.

Have you tried thinking for yourself - just for one day say - using facts and evidence? Have you watched a few videos on MEMRI as to what real Islamic scholars say this all means? Read some translations from Arabic as to what muslims say to each other about what it all means? Read the entirety of the Koran, and the hadith?

Or would that be too traumatic that you might have to make up your own mind, and its better that you get spoonfed the right things to think and say by the Labor Party and other assorted ex-Soviet wannabees? See if you just learn the answers without learning how they were arrived at - it saves a lot of thinking. You better hope that your masters are right however.  

I prefer to use facts and evidence, and then form my own opinion based on those.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:26pm

Quote:
David Kilcullen, Ph.D. (born 1967) is a contemporary practitioner and theorist of counterinsurgency and counterterrorism. A former Australian Army officer, he left that army as a lieutenant colonel in 2005 and now works for the United States State Department. During 2007 he served in Iraq as Senior Counterinsurgency Adviser, Multi-National Force - Iraq, a civilian position on the personal staff of U.S. Army General David Howell Petraeus, responsible for planning and executing the 2007-8 Joint Campaign Plan, which drove the Iraq War troop surge of 2007.

Kilcullen is also an advisor to the United States, British and Australian governments, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and several private sector institutions, on counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency issues.

Who are you, "Calanen" ?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:35pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 10:26pm:
Who are you, "Calanen" ?

Who are you Helian?

I'm not posting my CV here. Even if it was good, or relevant, you'd just say it was fake - so what's your point?

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:49pm

Calanen wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 10:35pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 10:26pm:
Who are you, "Calanen" ?

Who are you Helian?

I'm not posting my CV here. Even if it was good, or relevant, you'd just say it was fake - so what's your point?

"Even if it was good, or relevant," you mean it's not?

You're a lawyer... or maybe you're not.

You're a published author... or maybe you're not.

You're writing a book on Islam / Islamism... or maybe you're not.

You've gone a long way to try to impress us all here (including by family connections)... Until you're called on it... Then you got nothing... Its always a tantrum... We'll stalk you or call you a faker... yer righto...

If you want to chin up with the experts, lay down your cards. So far you're making a good job of making a faker out of yourself.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2009 at 7:53am

Quote:
If you want to chin up with the experts, lay down your cards. So far you're making a good job of making a faker out of yourself.

I'm not ever going to give you any personal details that can identify me, so stop trying. Again. Your obsession with trying to find out who I am, for real, is worrying, and is a sign of someone who is mentally unwell.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2009 at 8:30am

Calanen wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 7:53am:
Quote:

I'm not ever going to give you any personal details that can identify me, so stop trying. Again. Your obsession with trying to find out who I am, for real, is worrying, and is a sign of someone who is mentally unwell.

Don't flatter yourself... No one wants to 'find out who you are' and all any of us know of you has been offered by you to big note yourself. But remember this... if you want to overawe people by your own allusions to your authority on a subject... Then be prepared to be called on it... Just like real experts do.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #9 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:42am

NorthOfNorth wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 4:11pm:
Yes. Kilcullen doesn't use the word 'jihadi' to describe al Qaeda operatives, for example, as it gives the the legitimacy they crave among Muslims, which the vast majority refuse to offer. He terms them taqfiri, which means outcasts or excommunicated ones and more accurately describes them. They are mostly criminal filth that are about as close to the cause of Islam as a drug running biker is to a Salvation Army Appeal.

I think this is exactly the tactic required. This establishes a clear separation of identities between those that practice a faith and those that are criminals.

Your analogy to the bikies sprang to mind instantly for me as well Helian. I was invited to attend a rally as a show of solidarity for the poor victimised bikie fraternity. People wanking themselves that these guys (bikies) are part of a brotherhood of bikers etc and that they are about riding and sharing the road and their experiences, BULLSHIT. They are, and have been for decades organised crime gangs that use muscle and have a ready made army and groupies.

The garbage that the government's next step will be to close down fishing clubs is just rank stupidity. There are plenty of motorcycle clubs that are not the 1%'er groups that are not under any threat BECAUSE they are not gangs that exist for criminal activity.

Just because certain outlaw groups claim to be doing something on behalf of Islam doesn't mean that they actually are so. Of course Muslim ettiquitte that was described and defended by Abu doesn't help to weed out and punish these individuals because they are too blinded by their own anti western prejduces.

Overall it is a good step to take and the sooner and better we help Islam clean up it's own backyard the less likely we are to have them wanting to come to places like Australia, And they can set up their own draconian political systems to their hearts content and keep it all in the middle east. I feel sorry for those that will be trapped into those systems though and have no means of escape other than a stoning or beheading.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:22pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 8:30am:
Calanen wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 7:53am:

Quote:
Don't flatter yourself... No one wants to 'find out who you are' and all any of us know of you has been offered by you to big note yourself.

It's flattering to have psychos that want to find me on the internet - seriously? Wow I have achieved all my goals.  The tragedy that is your life is well clear if you consider the minor things I have spoken of as 'big noting' myself.

Quote:
But remember this... if you want to overawe people by your own allusions to your authority on a subject...

How about you directly quote things, instead of make up your own fantasy on the subject. And you are delusional, like you have been elected the spokesperson on this board, as if you have a meeting about what people say about me. Maybe you think you do, and sit around having a dolly's tea party with imaginary board members. Stranger things have happened to the mentally unfit.

Quote:
Then be prepared to be called on it... Just like real experts do.

How about you just deal with my points on the facts and evidence, instead of always worrying about who you think I am or I am not. You will never know. I could be somebody, I could be nothing.

I actually probably would meet with freediver, easel, tallow, yadda, grendel - they are reasonable people.

Mantra is one of those people you could never trust, she'd be nice to you one day and then down with the detectives calling for Strike Force Eagle because she was convinced you were an Israeli agent.

Abu and Lestat are your typical unhinged Islamists, and have sworn vengeance on me for having the audacity to disagree with Islam on a forum board. Won't be seeing them any time soon either.

And you are just one sad fat angry old man, who thinks he has accomplished something by posting crap on the internet, about someone you do not know.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2009 at 12:14am

Calanen wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 11:22pm:
It's flattering to have psychos that want to find me on the internet - seriously? Wow I have achieved all my goals.  The tragedy that is your life is well clear if you consider the minor things I have spoken of as 'big noting' myself.

How about you directly quote things, instead of make up your own fantasy on the subject. And you are delusional, like you have been elected the spokesperson on this board, as if you have a meeting about what people say about me. Maybe you think you do, and sit around having a dolly's tea party with imaginary board members. Stranger things have happened to the mentally unfit.

And you are just one sad fat angry old man, who thinks he has accomplished something by posting crap on the internet, about someone you do not know.

sad, fat, angry old man… bit of transference there?

Dolly’s tea party eh?  You’re good with ‘those’ metaphors.

All I know of you, is what you’ve told us.

And as for skulking around identifying people…  There’s this…

Calanen wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:34am:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=919556...

And given that the photo of her with Aedon, is in person and you've never met her, means, it aint you.

Now can you FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY stop this foolishness and get back into the real world!

“For the love of all that is holy” - a sudden moment of flailing melodrama?

Bit of a psycho snoop there, aren’t you “counsellor”

Do you get off stalking teens on the net?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2009 at 6:12am

Quote:
And as for skulking around identifying people…  There’s this…

Jim Profitt posted the full name and details of the person that was supposedly his 'girlfriend'. He also posted photos of her. I did not identify anyone, or contact anyone.

I only placed showed where this idiot had obtained those photos that anyone could have found with google after he posted that information - to attempt to stop that idiot prattling on with his foolishness that this is his 'girlfriend', like we are all imbeciles. The girl in question is also 18.

So don't try to mislead and deceive with some slimy child molester reference, now as for transference - I wonder what would the cops would find on your computer if you were raided? I bet you wear a 70s safari suit and knee high socks with sandals too, and carry a bag of boiled lollies around.

Quote:
Yadda

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2009 at 6:25am

Another little gem...
Calanen wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:34am:
I know it's not him. That guy has his own myspace page, which I didn't post here (but could) to protect his privacy. That guy lives in New South Wales, the same way the supposed 'girlfriend' does.

Dirty little snoop.

Calanen wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 6:12am:
So don't try to mislead and deceive with some slimy child molester reference, now as for transference - I wonder what would the cops would find on your computer if you were raided? I bet you wear a 70s safari suit and knee high socks with sandals too, and carry a bag of boiled lollies around.

What? Got something you want to share?

'Do you get off stalking teens', I said... Didn't say anything about child molestation...

You did, but.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print