Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
minimum sizes and fishery productivity (Read 15289 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
minimum sizes and fishery productivity
Apr 10th, 2009 at 10:41am

Contrary to popular opinion, minimum sizes lower fishery productivity. This is not just the long term effect of the selective pressure for runts and slow growing fish. Even in the short term, catching the smaller fish will increase the total catch on a weight basis. Basically, throwing them back, or not catching them in the first place, does not mean you catch them when they get bigger. Most of them do not survive to a larger size.

PJ argued that this is not the case because minimum sizes tend to coincide with the onset of sexual maturity and maximum biomass of a population cohort.

pjb05 wrote on Mar 15th, 2009 at 7:01am:
Here's an interesting article which contradicts many of FD's assertions:
http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache:KQfI9YH2qfIJ:www.esm.ucsb.edu/academics/courses/595PB/Readings/Parrish_Reserves_CALCOFI.pdf
+virgin+spawning+biomass&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Growth overfishing is most likely to occur in species with low growth and natural mortality rates as well as delayed sexual maturity. It is therefore likely to occur in fisheries for rockfishes and other slow-growing groundfish species. Generally, the term refers to fishing a stock beyond the maximum yield per recruit, and this generally occurs when a species is exploited before the age that an individual cohort achieves its natural maxi- mum biomass. Growth overfishing is generally avoided by delaying, or at least reducing, fishing mortality on fish that have not yet reached the size or age of sexual maturity; this is often near the age that a year class reaches its maxi- mum biomass.

However there are several problems with this argument. I have not been able to find any independent verification that maximum biomass tends to coincide with the onset of sexual maturity. This argument may have the causation backwards. Minimum sizes will create an artifical age of maximum biomass. For many species these were set arbitrarily at the age of sexual maturity, which is perhaps the worst age for creating selective pressure for slow growing fish. Furthermore the age of maximum biomass in a natural setting, to which you could argue fish would adapt their first breeding cycle, and which in turn would be would be caused by or reinforced by breeding effort, would have little correlation to the age of maximum biomass of a fished stock. That is, fishing would change it all anyway. Furthermore, if you were to try to target minimum sizes to maximise catch weight, you would not target the age of maximum biomass of a single cohort (generation). Rather, you would target the age that maximises total growth rate when you take things like intergenerational competition into account. You get the wrong answer when you only consider a single cohort in isolation. The age of maximum biomass becomes almost meaningless when you talk about harvesting based on it, as the harvest itself would have a strong impact on the age of maximum biomass.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: minimum sizes and fishery productivity
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2009 at 4:29pm

Even if your arguments are accepted all they do is make the case for fishing at somewhat less than maximum sustainable yield - not proving the case for marine parks. This lower fishing pressure is often termed as optimal sustainable yield. Ray Hilborn wrote a paper advocating this - he didn't say marine parks were the best way of achieving it (quite the contrary actually).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2009 at 10:28pm

Quote:
Even if your arguments are accepted all they do is make the case for fishing at somewhat less than maximum sustainable yield - not proving the case for marine parks.

Marine parks make fisheries management robust. All of the failures of traditional management tools can be resolved by simply using the same rules or strategies but reducing the fishing pressure or total catch. Of course, you soon get to the stage where you are better off just recognising the benefit of marine parks as a fisheries management tool and taking home more fish, rather than tolerating an inferior management policy that gives you more freedom to fish wherever you want, but less fish to actually eat. Even the worst fisheries management tools can be made to work if you make them strict enough, but this is not an advantage. You are giving too much credit to traditional tools on the basis that they are what you feel comfortable with, rather than any inherent advantage. The whole point of marine parks is that they change the assumptions around maximum sustainable yield, resulting in an increase in what can be caught sustainably when you take a realistic appraisal of risks associated with unknowable or unmeasurable factors etc into account. That is, when it comes to practical measures, you end up with mroe fish.

Quote:
not proving the case for marine parks

But it does prove the case for marine parks PJ. Your argument has withered away to little more than acknowlwedging that marine parks are better, but claiming that it doesn't matter anyway because other options are magically 'better' because you are useed to them.

Your post appears to recognise this, and accept that this particular defense of traditional management tools such as minimum sizes is fatally flawed. That is, "all they do" is point out the inferiority of traditional management techniques, and the bandaid solutions that are falsely claimed as benefits. Given that this is pretty much the extent of the role fisheries management tools, you seem highly dismissive of failures in this key role. It's like saying that the only thing that arguments against traditional drug policies do is show that tradition drug policies do not work.

I would genuinely appreciate any feedback on the original issues, ie whether minimum sizes lower fishery productivity (as apparently aknowledged by pj), and that this is due not only due to selective pressures for slow growing fish, but also due to short term impacts like the effect of the various natural causes of mortality on population cohort biomass.

Can you verify that maximum biomass tends to coincide with the onset of sexual maturity, and that this is not a result of anthropogenic influences such as the release of undersize fish? That is, would we increase maximum sustainable yields by making less use of minimum sizes and more use of better management techniques? The point of this thread is to counter an apparent technical flaw in the benefits of marine parks, so it is a bit disingenuous to revert to arguing that it doesn't matter anyway whether you can take home more fish. IF you don't understand the technical arguments, you should not make them, or copy and paste them from questionable sources, in the first place.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2009 at 11:04am

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 10:28pm:
[quote]Even if your arguments are accepted all they do is make the case for fishing at somewhat less than maximum sustainable yield - not proving the case for marine parks.

Marine parks make fisheries management robust. All of the failures of traditional management tools can be resolved by simply using the same rules or strategies but reducing the fishing pressure or total catch. Of course, you soon get to the stage where you are better off just recognising the benefit of marine parks as a fisheries management tool and taking home more fish, rather than tolerating an inferior management policy that gives you more freedom to fish wherever you want, but less fish to actually eat.

Just magical thinking FD. No wonder people are starting to call this sort of rubbish 'zombie science' or 'faith based fisheries' - no matter how much you knock it down it just rises up again.

Even the worst fisheries management tools can be made to work if you make them strict enough, but this is not an advantage. You are giving too much credit to traditional tools on the basis that they are what you feel comfortable with, rather than any inherent advantage. The whole point of marine parks is that they change the assumptions around maximum sustainable yield, resulting in an increase in what can be caught sustainably when you take a realistic appraisal of risks associated with unknowable or unmeasurable factors etc into account.
That is, when it comes to practical measures, you end up with mroe fish.

Not proven at all. Actually if you apply this line of reason to marine parks (ie excessive use of the precautionary principle) then they fail the test too! For instance marine parks have been showed to provide negative effects such as displaced fishing pressure leading to local depletions, changes in species assemblages and predator/ prey relationships. It is also quite clear that a marine park strategy will lead to a lower sustainable yield and other adverse ecological effects. The lost ground will never be made up by the so called spill over effect. To maintain the same yield you will have to step up the fishing pressure in the open areas and the use of more destructive methods such as trawling. Of course I have pointed all this out before and you just keep rising up like a zombie.

Quote:
not proving the case for marine parks

But it does prove the case for marine parks PJ. Your argument has withered away to little more than acknowlwedging that marine parks are better, but claiming that it doesn't matter anyway because other options are magically 'better' because you are useed to them.

Have have said no such thing. Stop making stuff up. PS where is the evidence of better fishing on the GBR as a result of the marine park. How about NSW? We have had marine parks here for quite a while too.

Your post appears to recognise this, and accept that this particular defense of traditional management tools such as minimum sizes is fatally flawed. That is, "all they do" is point out the inferiority of traditional management techniques, and the bandaid solutions that are falsely claimed as benefits. Given that this is pretty much the extent of the role fisheries management tools, you seem highly dismissive of failures in this key role. It's like saying that the only thing that arguments against traditional drug policies do is show that tradition drug policies do not work.

What failures? The evidence is that our inshore stocks of NSW (my area of concern) have a lot of natural resilience to fishing pressure (hence no need for excessive and heavy handed use of the precautionary principle) and none are seriously overfished.

I would genuinely appreciate any feedback on the original issues, ie whether minimum sizes lower fishery productivity (as apparently aknowledged by pj), and that this is due not only due to selective pressures for slow growing fish, but also due to short term impacts like the effect of the various natural causes of mortality on population cohort biomass.

Its a strawman argument. Minimum sizes are only a small part of the traditional management mix. All I have acknowledged (and you seem to be so obtuse about), is that I might be a good idea to fish them at a level somewhat less than the MSY. This has nothing to do with minimum sizes.  

Can you verify that maximum biomass tends to coincide with the onset of sexual maturity, and that this is not a result of anthropogenic influences such as the release of undersize fish? That is, would we increase maximum sustainable yields by making less use of minimum sizes and more use of better management techniques? The point of this thread is to counter an apparent technical flaw in the benefits of marine parks, so it is a bit disingenuous to revert to arguing that it doesn't matter anyway whether you can take home more fish. IF you don't understand the technical arguments, you should not make them, or copy and paste them from questionable sources, in the first place.

Whats more questionable - papers from senior fisheries scientists (including Professors of Fisheries), or the half baked theories of a totally unqualified political activist?
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2009 at 7:11pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2009 at 9:49pm

So why can't you back it up? It looks to me like Parrish just made it up as he went along. Why were you so quick to concede such an important point and go back to to your vague waffle and slogans?

Quote:
It is also quite clear that a marine park strategy will lead to a lower sustainable yield

Can you back this up?

Quote:
Actually if you apply this line of reason to marine parks (ie excessive use of the precautionary principle) then they fail the test too!

Go ahead and apply it for us then. It would be interesting to see you try to reason it through.

Quote:
changes in species assemblages and predator/ prey relationships

Is this a bad thing?

Quote:
To maintain the same yield you will have to step up the fishing pressure in the open areas and the use of more destructive methods such as trawling.

Can you explain the logic behind your claim about more destructive fishing methods?

Quote:
Of course I have pointed all this out before and you just keep rising up like a zombie.

Yes you have made the claim, but when it comes to backing it up, you always fall short.

Quote:
and none are seriously overfished

What, only moderately overfished?

Quote:
Its a strawman argument. Minimum sizes are only a small part of the traditional management mix.

The extent to which they are used does not affect whether it is a good idea to use them. If you reduce the harm by not using minimum sizes exclusively, why not eliminate the harm or minimise it to the extent possible? The fact that other tools are also used does not mean thqat inferior tools magically become a good idea.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2009 at 10:16pm

PJ, the 'original' link for your article:

http://www.esm.ucsb.edu/academics/courses/595PB/Readings/Parrish_Reserves_CALCOFI.pdf

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2009 at 1:19pm

So why can't you back it up? It looks to me like Parrish just made it up as he went along. Why were you so quick to concede such an important point and go back to to your vague waffle and slogans?

'Looks to me like Parrish just made it up as he went along' - what a brilliant analysis! Why don't you try to get that published FD?

PS what have I conceded?

Quote:
It is also quite clear that a marine park strategy will lead to a lower sustainable yield

Can you back this up?

Yes and I have already. I have put up several papers that make this case (Parrish, Shipton, Hilborn, Buxton). You then stuck your head in the sand by ignoring their arguments and/ or calling the authors names.

Even marine parks advocates in their more honest moments say that fishermen are unlikely to benifit. They justify them on preservationist grounds. Ie they don't like what we do and want a 'look but don't touch' world.

Quote:
Actually if you apply this line of reason to marine parks (ie excessive use of the precautionary principle) then they fail the test too!

Go ahead and apply it for us then. It would be interesting to see you try to reason it through.

I just did. I can expand on them if you like.

Quote:
changes in species assemblages and predator/ prey relationships

Is this a bad thing?

The point is that they can upset the natural balance, eg if the predator is more mobile it will respond less to area closures  than less mobile species. Reduction in the prey nos means less biodiversity and could have commercial implications if the prey is a valuable species.

Quote:
To maintain the same yield you will have to step up the fishing pressure in the open areas and the use of more destructive methods such as trawling.

Can you explain the logic behind your claim about more destructive fishing methods?

Some species don't lend themselves to being caught by methods other than trawling. To make up for the lost grounds you would have to step up trawling to maintain the yield. More trawling in a smaller area means more ecological damage (Parrish).

Quote:
Of course I have pointed all this out before and you just keep rising up like a zombie.

Yes you have made the claim, but when it comes to backing it up, you always fall short.

You just ignore what is inconvenient to your mantra.

Quote:
and none are seriously overfished

What, only moderately overfished?

A few are considered growth overfished. This is not a biological problem. These few remaining problems of overfishing can and are being adressed my methods less proscriptive than marine parks.

Quote:
Its a strawman argument. Minimum sizes are only a small part of the traditional management mix.

The extent to which they are used does not affect whether it is a good idea to use them. If you reduce the harm by not using minimum sizes exclusively, why not eliminate the harm or minimise it to the extent possible? The fact that other tools are also used does not mean thqat inferior tools magically become a good idea.

What 'harm' are you talking about? Any substantial fishery has an impact on fish stocks. What are you saying - that you want the World's only fishery that only harvests the tiddlers?
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2009 at 9:45pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2009 at 9:37pm

Quote:
'Looks to me like Parrish just made it up as he went along' - what a brilliant analysis! Why don't you try to get that published FD?

I'm just trying to verify his claims, that's all. So far they seem logically flawed and misleading. I have looked, and can't find anything to support his claims. Can you?

Quote:
What 'harm' are you talking about?

The selective pressures created by minimum sizes that reduce the growth rate of fish. Plus the short term effects of minimum sizes that leads to a reduction in yields. That's what this thread is about remember? One the one hand, you post a claim that this reduction does not exist so there is no problem, but when asked to back up this claim, you switch to arguing that it doesn't really matter anyway because minimum sizes are only a small part of the current management regime. Can you explain why you constantly switch to this line of argument if you don't even recognise the problems associated with minimum sizes in the first place? Surely if you honestly believed that the problems with minimum sizes don't exist you would argue that they don't exist, instead of constantly making up excuses for them.

I posted responses to some of your other points here:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1192441509/346#346
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2009 at 10:19pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2009 at 4:02pm

Quote:

I'm just trying to verify his claims, that's all. So far they seem logically flawed and misleading. I have looked, and can't find anything to support his claims. Can you?

There backed up by real world data from actual fisheries.

Quote:
What 'harm' are you talking about?

The selective pressures created by minimum sizes that reduce the growth rate of fish. Plus the short term effects of minimum sizes that leads to a reduction in yields. That's what this thread is about remember? One the one hand, you post a claim that this reduction does not exist so there is no problem, but when asked to back up this claim, you switch to arguing that it doesn't really matter anyway because minimum sizes are only a small part of the current management regime. Can you explain why you constantly switch to this line of argument if you don't even recognise the problems associated with minimum sizes in the first place? Surely if you honestly believed that the problems with minimum sizes don't exist you would argue that they don't exist, instead of constantly making up excuses for them.

I'm just putting your theories in a real world context - if you don't like that, well too bad. Selective pressure for slow growth rates is a phenomenon with scant evidence in real fisheries. It is also only likely to ever be apparent if the fishing pressure is very high (ie few fish get much past legal size) - and I am not arguing for that. Furthermore this selective pressure argument does not prove the case for marine parks. All it does is make the case for a fishing effort not overly heavy or somewhat lighter than the maximum sustainable yield.    

I posted responses to some of your other points here:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1192441509/346#346
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2009 at 6:45pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - May 26th, 2009 at 9:44pm

Quote:

Can you give an example?

Quote:
It is also only likely to ever be apparent if the fishing pressure is very high

Can you explain the reasoning behind this claim?

Quote:
(ie few fish get much past legal size) - and I am not arguing for that

The number of fish that make it well past legal size is greatly reduced compared to natural levels.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 8:51am

freediver wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 9:44pm:
Quote:

Can you give an example?

Quote:
It is also only likely to ever be apparent if the fishing pressure is very high

Can you explain the reasoning behind this claim?

Quote:
(ie few fish get much past legal size) - and I am not arguing for that

The number of fish that make it well past legal size is greatly reduced compared to natural levels.

The EIS into NSW fisheries states that they do not regard growth overfishing as a biological problem. Also look a how quckly overfished stocks have recovered eg salmon and kingfish in NSW. This is hardly a sign that they have been genetically damaged.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 6:59pm

Can you link me to that EIS and quote the relevant bit please?

The salmon and kingfish example is not evidence that minimum sizes do not impact fishery productivty. It is evidence that they are naturally fast growing fish, and that the failure of the management regime was detected and corrected before it turned into a complete disaster. The fact that some fish grow faster than others does not give any useful insight into the actual extent of the impact of minimum sizes on fishery productivity, though it does give some insight into the potential. In other words, you do not know how much it contributed to the collapse or slowed the recovery, or reduced the current catch rate. As far as I know, minimum sizes have only be used in Australia for a relatively short time, and these particular species would have had less heavy exposure to them, given the traditional harvest method.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 8:27pm

freediver wrote on Jun 8th, 2009 at 6:59pm:
Can you link me to that EIS and quote the relevant bit please?

The salmon and kingfish example is not evidence that minimum sizes do not impact fishery productivty. It is evidence that they are naturally fast growing fish, and that the failure of the management regime was detected and corrected before it turned into a complete disaster. The fact that some fish grow faster than others does not give any useful insight into the actual extent of the impact of minimum sizes on fishery productivity, though it does give some insight into the potential. In other words, you do not know how much it contributed to the collapse or slowed the recovery, or reduced the current catch rate. As far as I know, minimum sizes have only be used in Australia for a relatively short time, and these particular species would have had less heavy exposure to them, given the traditional harvest method.

Well if you can't find the evidence of selective pressures and detrimetal genetic changes in an overfished stock, when are you going to find it? Also you apply a burden of proof to the status quo but treat your own theories as a proven fact and not requiring the same standards of proof. If you look at examples like these it goes to show that a lot of our inshore fish stocks have a high natural resistance to fishing pressure (yes a lot of them are fast growing) and that overfishing is reversible.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 7:34pm

Quote:
Well if you can't find the evidence of selective pressures and detrimetal genetic changes in an overfished stock

Why would it be limited to overfished stock? All you need is a selective advantage for the change to be inevitable.

Quote:
Also you apply a burden of proof to the status quo but treat your own theories as a proven fact

Are you suggesting that the theory of natural selection must be proven in every situation before it can be used to make a prediction? I am not demanding proof of anything. You are.

Quote:
If you look at examples like these it goes to show that a lot of our inshore fish stocks have a high natural resistance to fishing pressure (yes a lot of them are fast growing) and that overfishing is reversible.

Almost everything is reversible. That doesn't make it a good idea. The lost opportunities from past mismanagement however cannot be regained. All that lost income, food, and recreational value were simply lost to us because some stubborn soul kept demanding absolute proof of the bleeding obvious before we allowed common sense to take it's course.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 2:37pm

Quote:
Well if you can't find the evidence of selective pressures and detrimetal genetic changes in an overfished stock

Why would it be limited to overfished stock? All you need is a selective advantage for the change to be inevitable.

Duh, the selective pressure is greater in an overfished stock. If there is no sign of permanent harm (ie overfished stocks recover quickly) then it can't be very significant in an sustainably fished stock.

Quote:
Also you apply a burden of proof to the status quo but treat your own theories as a proven fact

Are you suggesting that the theory of natural selection must be proven in every situation before it can be used to make a prediction? I am not demanding proof of anything. You are.

I'm not talking about predictions - I'm talking about observations from actual fisheries.

Quote:
If you look at examples like these it goes to show that a lot of our inshore fish stocks have a high natural resistance to fishing pressure (yes a lot of them are fast growing) and that overfishing is reversible.

Almost everything is reversible. That doesn't make it a good idea. The lost opportunities from past mismanagement however cannot be regained. All that lost income, food, and recreational value were simply lost to us because some stubborn soul kept demanding absolute proof of the bleeding obvious before we allowed common sense to take it's course.

Uneccessary marine parks mean a permanent loss of productivity, income, food and recreational value because they lock up productive ares for ever. Your faith based mantra is flawed. Just because there have been some fisheries failures in the past or overseas does not mean marine parks are the best way forward.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print