Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
queensland premier election voluntary? (Read 1402 times)
ryan14

Australian Politics

queensland premier election voluntary?
Mar 21st, 2009 at 1:49pm

i know it's compulsary to vote in australian prime minister elections, but is voting compulsary for the queensland premier election this weekend?
did you get voting papers in the mail and do they say it's voluntary or if it says its compulsary does it say how much you will be fined if you don't vote?

IP Logged

deleted

Re: queensland premier election voluntary?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:13pm

ryan14 wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 1:49pm:
i know it's compulsary to vote in australian prime minister elections, but is voting compulsary for the queensland premier election this weekend?
did you get voting papers in the mail and do they say it's voluntary or if it says its compulsary does it say how much you will be fined if you don't vote?

The letter I was sent from the ECQ says in big block letters, "VOTING IN THIS ELECTION IS COMPULSORY". But you know, if you don't want to vote for any candidate just show up, get your names marked off, and drop an empty ballot in the box.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:55pm

Welcome to OzPolitic Ryan.

Yes it is compulsory to vote in federal, state and local council elections. Though you vote for your local rep, not the PM or premier.

If you really don't know who to vote for, turn up, mark your name off, write something funny on your ballot sheet and hand it in. But don't make it obvious you are donkey voting as you can still get fined.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Muso (ex member)

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 5:14pm

The best part is that here in God's own country, you only have to mark one square. Preferences are optional.

IP Logged

deleted

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 5:29pm

Muso (ex member) wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 5:14pm:
The best part is that here in God's own country, you only have to mark one square. Preferences are optional.

Yep, definitely made it a lot easier to vote. It would be a helluva lot easier if we were given the option to vote or not though.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 8:14pm

Looks like the ALp have won it easy.

very disappointing

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

deleted

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 8:46pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 8:14pm:
Looks like the ALp have won it easy.

very disappointing

Yes, very disappointing indeed. At least there was a slight swing against them meaning their popularity is declining and we may see a change in QLD government at the next election.

Labor did run a lot more ads than LNP and their adds were a lot more negative than the LNP's. All Labor's ads were was replaying the clip of Springborg saying we're not in a recession contrasted with Obama, Brown and Rudd saying we're in the worst recession of our lifetimes. Whereas the only LNP ads I saw on TV were basically saying that Labor's been in power for 11 years, give someone else a go. Labor won out in the advertising campaign.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 10:04pm

It is very rare that a party stays in power that long. I would give them very low odds for the next election.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print