Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Karl Marx 1867 gave this prediction (Read 6077 times)
tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Karl Marx 1867 gave this prediction
Reply #45 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 3:13pm

athos wrote on Mar 18th, 2009 at 1:35pm:
If you are right why then your Yankeestan is going broke and Russia not?

because russians imported reasonable Anglo-Saxon's rationalism and capitalist pragmatism while western countries becoming your ethnostan by importing as the name implies too many marxist oriented wogs who keep whining while using the system to it's death.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 3:18pm

locutius wrote on Mar 18th, 2009 at 2:54pm:
[b]Just look at the latest financial disaster driven by the poster boys for capitalism, the speculative financial sector. ...

I look at it and don't see mass starvation like it was in USSR and is in NK.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #47 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 3:26pm

Only because those that really have our interests at heart Roll Eyes have found out how to corner the market on caskets and grave sites. But seriously dead populations don't spend. They have a unhealthy relationship with my wallet sanctioned by the intellectual and ethical vacumm that is parliment.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 3:36pm

locutius wrote on Mar 18th, 2009 at 3:26pm:
Only because those that really have our interests at heart Roll Eyes have found out how to corner the market on caskets and grave sites. But seriously dead populations don't spend. They have a unhealthy relationship with my wallet sanctioned by the intellectual and ethical vacumm that is parliment.

Yes, capitalism is a cruel bitch but what is worse empty wallet or empty stomach?

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #49 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Which is worse is a ready but ultimately lame argument. What we need is to find an even better way. You might as well ask is it better to be burnt to death or shot to death. If must I would choose the latter, but would try to avoid both in preference for old age and in my sleep.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

athos
Gold Member

Re-educate barbarians

Hong Kong
Reply #50 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 5:22pm

Agreeing with it or not, it's impressive to these days read Marx's "Das Kapital", and realize how accurate his conclusions about the inevitable failure of capitalism were. The problem is a viable alternative, the much talked "capitalism with a human face", i think the best example there is at the moment of a working capitalism model with a social concern, can be seen in Scandinavian countries, although if that's to last that's another story - still, it's amazing how capitalism degenerated quickly into mercantilism, corporativism, the merger of state and corporate interests, plutocracy, and cleptocracy, and all this together with some fascist touches.

I think it was Plato that mentioned that Republics always fail when people find out that they can elect representatives to serve their own individual interests rather than the population's interests.
Such a shame that today's version of ancient Rome's "panis et circenses" prevents any meaningful discussion by pre-categorizing anyone into groups that are further distilled into the "against us", "with us", be it in the Joe McCarthy's US in the 50's, with the "communist menace", in the 1910's and 1920's in the US with the strikes and the "Bolshevik menace", in the post 9/11 world with the "islamofascist menace" (never mind that islamofascist is an contradiction in itself...), or the clearest example of all, anyone wanting a serious meaningful discussion about the situation of occupied territories in Palestine, being immediately labelled anti-semitic - something that can only come from people who are unaware of the significance of the word.

I'm deviating a bit, but trying to point that although there is good serious intellectually honest discussion everywhere, from the US to Israel, to Russia, to the EU, etc... the only possible way to get these voices heard without being labelled, censored, or worse, is via decentralized means, such as the internet - which is why governments worldwide are determined in controlling the flow of information on the internet, in the guise of protecting the children from paedophilia, or protecting the public from "domestic terrorists", or denying "potential terrorists" information that allows them to make bombs (never mind that the 1st thing any 13 year old does in his/her first chemistry/physics class is trying to find exciting ways to blow up things), or just regulating "speech" to prevent "hate speech", and discrimination, etc...
Mainstream media? You can forget it, media is Orwellian newspeak for "Ministry of Truth".

Look at Australia... the Chinese have the "great firewall of China", and Australia is on its way to have the Great Australian Internet Reef, a firewall that already blocks access to wikileaks pages - obviously the right of the public to be aware of information that is potentially embarrassing, if not criminal evidence, of government representatives, entire governments, or "just" corporate entities, is a right that needs to be regulated, as well as any political speech - anyone noticed some time ago some articles discussing the possibility of being mandatory in the US for bloggers to have a registration in some to-be-designated-institution, so that they could be entitled to freely discuss political matters?
Of course the only political matters allowed would be the ones sanctioned by the government, and the registration means that the authorities know who you are, if you deviate from the "official view of reality", you pay the price.

I wonder how many people in the US, besides historians, history and/or economy students, have read Marx for instance? I wonder if even these people have read Marx.
It's enlightening, and as you mentioned in your post, capitalism is truly dead, but this isn't anything new, in fact, capitalism was dead a long time ago - between the end of the Eisenhower administration, and the Nixon administration, the US for all purposes, was done for, if not even earlier.
The signing of the Federal Reserve Act by President Woodrow Wilson (if my memory serves me right) was the beginning of the end, from there onwards, it was just a small series of step to that same inexorable end, total complete utter corruption, dispossession of the property of the State, read The People, and passing on this property to private entities, usually corporations and businesses closely affiliated with elected officials, either via campaign contributions, or via more promiscuous relationships.

The US is not the only one to blame though, the UK unfortunately also was a precursor in such methods, and in the ultimate irony, those that created and had full faith in a "free market" model that was everything but Free, ended up paying a heavy price - for all practical purposes the US and the UK are now insolvent, unable to honour their debts, and will eventually have to default. Their disguised nationalizations of failed institutions did nothing except shift to the public sector the tremendous liabilities that were result of the reckless and even criminal behaviour of, lately, banking and investment institutions, boosting the US and UK's national debt to unprecedented levels and forcing their sovereign banks to start printing money in what is ironically called "quantitative easing".

If the crisis was circumscribed to the US and UK, then they were getting just what they deserved, unfortunately that's not the case.
Time to re-reread some of the old classics, History is always, always a source of enlightenment and solutions.

Do we need to be always politically correct.
In the world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 6:56pm

athos wrote on Mar 18th, 2009 at 5:22pm:
Agreeing with it or not, it's impressive to these days read Marx's "Das Kapital", and realize how accurate his conclusions about the inevitable failure of capitalism were.
Time to re-reread some of the old classics, History

Actually if you reread works of Karl and his buddy Frederick you will find out that they predicted  the inevitable failure of any system. The minor detail though is the timing. Capitalism is still here but communism has gone.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print