Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Australia's immigration policy (Read 50662 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Australia's immigration policy
Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:50pm

I sent an email to the immigration minister a while back asking whether we had a policy on immmigration of people with ideologies that oppose democracy and freedom, like Islamism, Nazism and Zionism. I still haven't recieved a response. Does anyone know what our policy is?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jim Profit

Australian Politics

Re: Australia's immigration policy
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:10am

So does that mean it's easy to get in as long as we're not Zog?

Awesome.. I can refrain from holding my arm out and yelling HEIL!!! for awhile.. Grin

But I still believe there's something left for you and me.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 9:21am

I could see very little in regard to immigrants opposing democracy and freedom.  I suppose the whole point of living in a democratic country is that immigrants have the freedom to oppose our democracy and freedom.

The nearest we've come is the citizenship test which Howard revised ie. as long as immigrants know who won the test match in 1901 and similar questions - they're allowed in.

The following site explains the constitutional and legal meanings of citizenship, naturalisation and revocation of naturalisation.  It would take some plodding through if you could be bothered.

http://www.naa.gov.au/naaresources/publications/research_guides/guides/ctznship/...

When Beazley was opposition leader though he proposed a values test, which got nowhere - but he was on the right track.

Prime Minister John Howard has criticised a small section of the Muslim community for failing to integrate, including not adhering to Australian values such as respect for women.

Mr Beazley said including such a statement on visas would send a strong message about what Australia expected. But ethnic community representatives were sceptical, while the Government said it was already doing a great deal to make newcomers aware of Australian values.

Mr Beazley said Australian values of "respect for each other, mateship, fairness, freedom and respect for our laws are the front line in the struggle against extremists and terrorists".

The Australian values in the visa statement would include:

■ Respect for Australia's institutions, including its democracy, laws, courts, parliaments, armed forces and police.

■ Respect for different religions and cultures, for the equal treatment of women, and for hard work.

"Why wait until somebody applies for citizenship before making them commit to live as part of our society? I don't see the sense in waiting three years to demand a fair go," Mr Beazley said.

A spokesman for Mr Beazley said the "values" declaration would be required not just for residency visas, but for tourist visas as well.

Mr Beazley also suggested there should be sessions for migrants on Australian values including "the right treatment of women, the right treatment of each other and respect for each other's position in a democracy".

Education could play a significant role in making Australia safer, he said. Labor in government would make sure respect for Australian values played a strong role in school curriculums.

The president of the Islamic Council of Victoria, Malcolm Thomas, said Mr Beazley's visa proposal was a novel idea worthy of some focus group research.

"I don't know how effective it would be: it might be like the terms and conditions on a warranty — you see them there but don't read them," he said.

The chair of the Federation of Ethnic Communities Councils of Australia, Voula Messimemi, said Mr Beazley seemed to be trying to go one better than the Government's floating of a citizenship test. "If you're trying to reduce or eliminate terrorism, to put a list of values on a visa is a fairly ineffective tool." Anyway, she said, "apart from the rule of law and democracy, the jury's still out on what are Australian values".

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/beazley-proposes-visitors-migrants-agree-...

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 9:38am

Although personally I just think Beazley was trying to sound like he's just as "fair dinkum" as Howard and fighting for "Australianness", his ideas do have some merit.

New immigrants coming to Australia could at least be made aware of the way society functions here. Making a test out of it though is just nonsense. Just give them some presentations,  and try to make it clear to them this society functions the way it does and that you need to learn how to adapt to it.

But in the end, people are free to believe pretty much what they like in Australia fd, and you can't  change that, no matter how much you'd like to.

You need to understand though that there's a very fine line between mandatory acceptance of Australian values, and denying people political freedom. Otherwise opposition parties could soon be banned because their policies are the opposite of the rulings party.

If anyone who wants to change laws/values etc. becomes anti-Australian and an affront to Australian values, then pretty much all opposition parties will be out. Because they all seek in some way or another to modify those things..

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 9:59am

It is anti Australian to wish to discard democracy in preference to theocracy or any other form of dictatorship. Quiet simple really.
However it is hard to make sure that people like that won't lie when are asked the question. It would help if the question is direct and possible answer is yes or no so they can not claim mistranslation, deflect or avoid answering.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 11:29am

Quote:
Mr Beazley said Australian values of "respect for each other, mateship, fairness, freedom and respect for our laws are the front line in the struggle against extremists and terrorists".

Beazley, get rid of mateship you clown. No wonder no-one took this seriously. I think democracy is more important than respect for our laws. If someone doesn't think democracy is the best form of government, don't let them in.

The equal treatment of women is an important one.

Quote:
Mr Beazley also suggested there should be sessions for migrants on Australian values including "the right treatment of women, the right treatment of each other and respect for each other's position in a democracy".

Another good suggestion. It needs to be more than signing on on a bit of paper.

Quote:
"If you're trying to reduce or eliminate terrorism, to put a list of values on a visa is a fairly ineffective tool."

Strawman.

Quote:
But in the end, people are free to believe pretty much what they like in Australia fd, and you can't  change that, no matter how much you'd like to.

Abu I'm not trying to change what Australians believe with this. I think we should change who we let into this country, that's all.

Quote:
You need to understand though that there's a very fine line between mandatory acceptance of Australian values, and denying people political freedom.

This is about denying them Australian citizenship, which I think is totally reasonable. It is not about denying citizens political freedom.

Quote:
Otherwise opposition parties could soon be banned because their policies are the opposite of the rulings party.

That's a bit of a stretch Abu. It is a citizenship test. Valuing democracy is all about valuing the right of people to form opposition parties.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:16pm

On a different topic, our net immigration is about 180 000 people per year, with about 13 000 in the humanitarian programme (not all refugees).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Australia

John Howard increased immigration to the highest level ever seen in Australia. Yet at the same time, he managed to portray himself as stemming the tide of immigration by attacking refugees.

Whitlam had a zero net immigration policy.

Immigration has only just overtaken natural increases in population as the cause of population growth in Australia.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:21pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:28pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 22nd, 2009 at 9:38am:
But in the end, people are free to believe pretty much what they like in Australia fd, and you can't change that, no matter how much you'd like to.

You need to understand though that there's a very fine line between mandatory acceptance of Australian values, and denying people political freedom.

Freedom of conscience is not feedom of action. And there is a mile, rather than a fine line, between accepting Australia values and freedom of political action. It is called treason.

The fine line is, rather, between dislike of and opposition to political islam and islamophobia
Like this example from Al-Canada shows:

Which side of the war would you like to be on? 
Old-fashioned types might think that those Britons - okay, make that "Britons" - helping to manufacture bombs for the Taliban are engaged in an act of treason. But, as a current court case in Quebec helps clarify, giving support to the Queen's enemies in their attempts to kill your compatriots is now just another vibrant, colourful manifestation of cultural diversity.
As the International Free Press Society notes, Said Namouh is on trial up north for aiding and abetting terrorism. The Crown charges that Mr Namouh distributed jihadist snuff videos, offered advice on bomb-making, volunteered his expertise for a planned truck bombing, and threatened governments (including Canada's) with troops in Afghanistan. Defence counsel René Duvall doesn't deny any of this, but says his client's enthusiasm for violent jihad is protected on grounds of freedom of religion and (mirthless chuckle from your humble typist) Canadians' cherished right to freedom of expression. As Maître Duvall put it outside the court, "Where do you draw the line?"

In fact, the line seems to be pretty clear: If a jihadist says he wants to kill Canadian troops, he's just exercising his right to freedom of religion. If I quote what he said in Canada's biggest-selling news weekly, we'll be charged with "flagrant Islamophobia" and hauled up in court.
[Mark Steyn]

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:40pm

Considering this is Australia and we are Australians (well most of us consider ourselves that)... just what is wrong with "Australianness"(sic) Abu?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 8:05am

freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:50pm:
I sent an email to the immigration minister a while back asking whether we had a policy on immmigration of people with ideologies that oppose democracy and freedom, like Islamism, Nazism and Zionism. I still haven't recieved a response. Does anyone know what our policy is?

Perhaps we should look to Britain for an example.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/world/multiculturalism-policies-in-britain-a-failure-says-pm-david-cameron/story-e6frea9c-1226000767482

PRIME Minister David Cameron has condemned Britain's long-standing policy of multiculturalism as a failure, calling for better integration of young Muslims to combat home-grown extremism.

In a speech to the Munich Security Conference, Mr Cameron signalled a marked change in policy towards Britain's ethnic and religious minorities, saying the "hands-off tolerance" of those who reject Western values has failed.

He urged a "more active, muscular liberalism" where equal rights, the rule of law, freedom of speech and democracy are actively promoted to create a stronger national identity.

"If we are to defeat this threat, I believe it's time to turn the page on the failed policies of the past," he said.

It was Mr Cameron's first major speech on Islamist extremism, an issue of major concern for British governments ever since four home-grown suicide bombers attacked the London transport system in 2005, killing 52 people.

The Prime Minister, who took power last May, argued that "under the doctrine of state multiculturalism, we have encouraged different cultures to live separate lives, apart from each other and the mainstream".

He said this had resulted in a lack of national identity in Britain which had made some young Muslims turn to extremist ideology.

"Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism," Mr Cameron said.

"A passively tolerant society says to its citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. It stands neutral between different values.

"A genuinely liberal country does much more. It believes in certain values and actively promotes them.... It says to its citizens: this is what defines us as a society."

Mr Cameron clearly distinguished between Islam the religion and the political ideology of Islamist extremism, saying they "are not the same thing".

But he argued that non-violent organisations which present themselves as a gateway to the Muslim community but are ambiguous on Western values should no longer receive state funding, and should be banned from university campuses.

His speech echoed controversial remarks made by German Chancellor Angela Merkel last year, when she also called multiculturalism a failure, saying Germany had not devoted enough attention to the integration of immigrants.

"What I mean to say is that for years, for decades, the approach was that integration was not something that needed to be addressed, that people would live side-by-side and that it would sort itself out," Ms Merkel said in November.

"This turned out to be false."

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 10:31am

freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:50pm:

In the real world how would you be able to judge someone's ideology? You could have a test but just like the driving test people would tend to just give the answers required to pass.

I've had a similar discussion with those that beat their chests and shout "BAN MUSLIM IMMIGRATION". I ask them to provide a real world example of how this could be done but they couldn't. The closest they got was to force immigrants to eat pork before they could immigrate but this would mean that no vegetarians would be able to come to this country (plus there would be some human rights issues)

Getting back to the topic, how can we legislate against what people think?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

ohnoitisnt

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 11:46am

Abu you greasy toad if you don't want to live by our rules F**K off back to the slime hole you used to call home.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 12:20pm

Quote:
In the real world how would you be able to judge someone's ideology?

Ask them.

Quote:
You could have a test but just like the driving test people would tend to just give the answers required to pass.

Immigration tests are not multiple choice.

Quote:
I've had a similar discussion with those that beat their chests and shout "BAN MUSLIM IMMIGRATION".

That would be religious discrimination. We should only discriminate agains those who are ideologically opposed to freedom and democracy.

Quote:
I ask them to provide a real world example of how this could be done but they couldn't.

It's simple. You ask them questions, like I did with Abu. You will figure out quickly enough how to cut through the BS to what someone actually thinks.

Quote:
Getting back to the topic, how can we legislate against what people think?

You can only legislate against letting them into the country. We already put up a lot of requirements about people's morals.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 12:28pm

Ok, FD, now I'm sort of curious as to why you included Zionism with Nazism and Islamism??

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 12:29pm

To be fair.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print