Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Left Handed Presidents (Read 1139 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Left Handed Presidents
Feb 21st, 2009 at 7:22am

An interesting piece of trivia. While only 10% of the general population is left-handed, there have been 6 US Presidents out of 12 since World War II who were left handed (and 3 of the last 4), being Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan (naturally left-handed but actually ambidextrous), Bush the first, Clinton and Obama.

Prior to WW2 and back to Washington, there have only been two other left-handed US Presidents, James Garfield and Herbert Hoover.

It appears that the reason for the once dearth of left-handedness is most likely a religious one. As left-handedness was once considered a sign of the devil, most likely prior to WW2 natural left-handers were forced to become righties.

The end of WW2 heralded a rapid decline in religious superstition (at least Christian superstition) so perhaps resulting in the sudden rise in occurrences of adult southpaws.

If so, it’s another powerful argument for secularism. Many of those who walked away from the rubble and ashes of Europe after WW2 and those who came after recognised truly that religion had failed humanity and respect for human dignity, freedom and rights, beyond what religion would allow, was the only way to ensure that such a catastrophe did not happen again.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Left Handed Presidents
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:17am

Which hand have they used to wipe their bums?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:20am

tallowood wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:17am:

Generally no issue for Chistio-centric peoples... the dexter hand, or the other... or both.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:22am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:20am:

Generally no issue for Chistio-centric peoples... the dexter hand, or the other... or both.

But it is central to left-right hands debate.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:23am

tallowood wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:22am:

Not with Christianity. Left-handedness was once thought to be a sign of the devil... nothing to do with a crappy arse.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:32am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:23am:
tallowood wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:22am:

Not with Christianity. Left-handedness was once thought to be a sign of the devil... nothing to do with a crappy arse.

They thought it was a sign of muslim but now even handedness is central doctrine of pc..

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:37am

Actually, if everyone ate with their dexterous hand, and wiped with the non dexterous hand (this is back before the era of toilet paper), then lefty's would need to be ostracised. You wouldn't want to shake hands with one. They would be disease spreaders, worse than the joos.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:42am

freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:37am:
Actually, if everyone ate with their dexterous hand, and wiped with the non dexterous hand (this is back before the era of toilet paper), then lefty's would need to be ostracised. You wouldn't want to shake hands with one. They would be disease spreaders, worse than the joos.

Given Christians up until relatively recently equated bodily cleanliness with vanity, lust and licentiousness, it's likely they didn't wipe their arse at all.

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:07am

Two words- WHO CARES!

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 7:57pm

Nice to see you can't even discuss something like this without resorting to toilet humour. What a pathetic bunch of childish losers.

-----

helian, That's an interesting fact. Did you know the word sinister actually means "left [handed]" in Latin? And that's how we got it's present English meaning. I am a proud left-hander and always shop at the Leftorium, even if it is a Christian establishment.

The second Caliph Omar Bin al-Khattab (God be pleased with him) was also a left hander. Perhaps it is linked with leadership.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:10pm

Is there a real leftorium, or is that a Simpson's reference?

Quote:
Nice to see you can't even discuss something like this without resorting to toilet humour. What a pathetic bunch of childish losers.

Food safety is no laughing matter Abu. People can do from poo sandwiches.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:22pm

Quite obviously it's a simpsons reference.

Quote:
Food safety is no laughing matter Abu. People can do from poo sandwiches.

I take it you mean 'die' not 'do'.

I can't speak about Christian habits (since they're pretty vague) but Islamically it's required to use water and a hard substance (rock, leaf, toilet paper, whatever is available in your time/circumstances) to clean yourself after visiting the W.C. and to wash your hands afterwards. Using seperate hands (for cleaning and eating/greeting) is an extra precaution. However a left-handed Muslim must also adopt these practises, so it's irrelevant.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:54pm

How is a leaf hard?

How did they go about using water in the old days, before they had plumbing?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:12pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 7:57pm:

abu, it is ironic that you a devoted muslim call this a toilet humour while "Apostle of Allah" himself regarded the matter very seriously.

Quote:
Narrated Salman al-Farsi: It was said to Salman: Your Prophet teaches you everything, even about excrement. He replied: Yes. He has forbidden us to face the qiblah at the time of easing or urinating, and cleansing with right hand, and cleansing with less than three stones, or cleansing with dung or bone.

(c) the Kitab-i-Taharah (Book of purification)

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:39pm

freediver,

Quote:
How is a leaf hard?

It is a 'solid' last time I checked. Haven't seen too many liquid or gaseous leaves around lately.

Quote:

You're not as stupid as you often appear (like when trying to conjure up arguments against Islam) I'm sure you'll work it out if you think long and hard enough.

Tallow,

Quote:
abu, it is ironic that you a devoted muslim call this a toilet humour while "Apostle of Allah" himself regarded the matter very seriously

Speaking about it in an informative and respectful manner is a world apart from what we've seen so far by the childish elements in this thread, including yourself.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:43pm

Quote:
You're not as stupid as you often appear (like when trying to conjure up arguments against Islam) I'm sure you'll work it out if you think long and hard enough.

You want me to think long and hard about Arabs wiping their arse in a sandy desert? Isn't there a quote from the Koran that explains it?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:50pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:39pm:
freediver,

Quote:
How is a leaf hard?

It is a 'solid' last time I checked. Haven't seen too many liquid or gaseous leaves around lately.

Quote:

Tallow,

Quote:
abu, it is ironic that you a devoted muslim call this a toilet humour while "Apostle of Allah" himself regarded the matter very seriously

Speaking about it in an informative and respectful manner is a world apart from what we've seen so far by the childish elements in this thread, including yourself.

Statement of a fact is not childish, abu, unless you suggest that the "Apostle of Allah" was infantile.

Here is another one.
Quote:
Narrated AbuMusa: AbutTayyah reported on the authority of a shaykh (an old man): When Abdullah ibn Abbas came to Basrah, people narrated to him traditions from AbuMusa. Therefore Ibn Abbas wrote to him asking him about certain things. In reply AbuMusa wrote to him saying: One day I was in the company of the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him). He wanted to urinate. Then he came to a soft ground at the foot of a wall and urinated. He (the Prophet) then said: If any of you wants to urinate, he should look for a place (like this) for his urination.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #17 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:55pm

freediver it's got nothing to do with being in the desert nor being Arab.

If you wanted to have a little water in a place there was no plumbing today... you couldn't figure out how to do it?

Perhaps you're not as smart as I first thought then.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 11:32am

Sure, I can think of plenty of options, but none of them seem very practical.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 7:42pm

Well to put you out of your suspense, Arabs used to carry water in flasks made out of animal skins. Wasn't too difficult to figure out was it?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:17pm

That was for drinking right? So what did they do with it? Rinse off afterwards?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #21 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:22pm

The flask is for carrying...

What multitude of uses you put it to  after that isn't really relevant. The simple fact is that before plumbing was available, people managed to get water into all the different locations they needed to.

Who woulda thought it possible?  Grin

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:23pm

how?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #23 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:27pm

Just give up already and resign to the fact you keep making a fool of yourself, whilst digging for arguments or mud against Islam where there is none. It seems like the mere whiff of something to sling at Islam makes you lose all faculties of reason..

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:34pm

I'm just asking how they did it Abu. Surely it is still relevant, as that situation may arise again, and a good Muslim such as yourself needs to know what to do with the waterbottle, a clingon and a gumleaf.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #25 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:38pm

Well I'm sure it happens for anyone (who actually washes themselves properly) who goes camping. There are also people today who live without running water, I'm sure.

Don't go camping much fd? Or don't umm... nevermind  Grin

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:42pm

It's what to do with the water bottle that has me intrigued Abu. It's a simple question. I din't see why you are shy about it all of a sudden. Are you embarrassed about the Koran?

Also, in places where they had no plumbing, but plenty of water, I would assume they had some kind of bowl of water next to the latrine. What did they do with that?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #27 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:54pm

Quote:
It's what to do with the water bottle that has me intrigued Abu

I'm really at a loss to understand how it intrigues you. People for thousands (if not more) of years, washed themselves with water (well in most parts of the civilised world anyway). You got a vessel with water, you tip it wherever you wanna wash, quite simple really, doesn't take a degree or anything to figure out.

Quote:
I din't see why you are shy about it all of a sudden

I'm embaressed for you, not myself.

Quote:
Are you embarrassed about the Koran?

Such simple logistics are not mentioned in the Qur'an, as it's assumed any human being with half a neuron at his disposal could figure it out.

Quote:
I would assume they had some kind of bowl of water next to the latrine.

In the early days of Islam, there was no latrine. One would merely exit to the outer rim of the settlement and find a place that was deserted and not used as a resting place and so forth.

When Muslims began building toilets, they had plumbing, early Islamic civilisation was quite adept at plumbing actually. This is why we consider Andalus to have been such a beacon of civilisation in a sea of European darkness. Andalus had both street lights and sophisticated plumbing systems, when most Europeans were still living in their own filth next to fires.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:29pm

Quote:
you tip it wherever you wanna wash

You tip it? Does that require a bit of gymnastics? The arsehole would have to be the one part of the human anatomy that you can't simply tip a bit of water on out of a water bottle. Not that I've actually tried. Maybe those gross squirty water bottles everyone sucks on these days were designed by a muslim.

On the 'my culture is better than your culture' argument, didn't the Romans have extensive plumbing well before Muhammed turned up?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:38pm

freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:29pm:
Quote:
you tip it wherever you wanna wash

You tip it? Does that require a bit of gymnastics? The arsehole would have to be the one part of the human anatomy that you can't simply tip a bit of water on out of a water bottle. Not that I've actually tried. Maybe those gross squirty water bottles everyone sucks on these days were designed by a muslim.

He's just written "The History of Left Handedness and Defecation for Coprophiliacs" by F.D. Fecaldump.

Get a copy... Out now wherever weird books are sold.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:24am

Quote:
You tip it? Does that require a bit of gymnastics?

Try it out, and make some first hand (make sure it's the left though) observations, if it's such a topic of interest for you. Nothing like a bit of [left] hands on experience now is there?

Quote:
On the 'my culture is better than your culture' argument, didn't the Romans have extensive plumbing well before Muhammed turned up?

They did, but I've already expressed my views on the hypothetical connection between the great civilisations of Greece and Rome, and the Western European civlisation of the last few centuries.

It's about as irrelevant as Muslims claiming the achievements of Pharaonic Egypt or the ancient Indians for themselves.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 8:38am

Quote:
They did, but I've already expressed my views on the hypothetical connection between the great civilisations of Greece and Rome, and the Western European civlisation of the last few centuries.

You mean, that they were in the same place?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:18am

freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:42pm:
It's what to do with the water bottle that has me intrigued Abu. It's a simple question. I din't see why you are shy about it all of a sudden. Are you embarrassed about the Koran?

Also, in places where they had no plumbing, but plenty of water, I would assume they had some kind of bowl of water next to the latrine. What did they do with that?

As far as I'm aware the mohammed made restrictions on "cleansing with dung or bone" and "right hand" only but I could be wrong.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:30am

From Abu:

Quote:
Such simple logistics are not mentioned in the Quran

But I'm pretty sure he also said it contained detailed instructions, and that this made the Muslims cleaner than the filthy infidels. Maybe it's like a secret handshake that he isn't allowed to tell people about.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #34 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:24am

Left handed people include the best  Grin - Even if I was forced to use my right hand at school.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:29am

muso wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:24am:
Left handed people include the best  Grin - Even if I was forced to use my right hand at school.

Out of interest, was it for religious reasons you were forced to use your right hand?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:34am

Left handed people include the best  Grin - Even if I was forced to use my right hand at school.

Did they have surveillance cameras in the school toilets to make sure that you don't cheat?

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #37 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:38am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:29am:

Out of interest, was it for religious reasons you were forced to use your right hand?

I don't think so. It was just a question of conforming to everybody else. I think they used different educational methods in those days. Education by conformity, humiliation and torture from vague memory.

I try not to think too much about my school days.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:47am

I think the problem was they just didn't know how to teach left handed students.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:47am

muso wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:38am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:29am:
Left handed people include the best  Grin - Even if I was forced to use my right hand at school.

I don't think so. It was just a question of conforming to everybody else. I think they used different educational methods in those days. Education by conformity, humiliation and torture from vague memory.

I try not to think too much about my school days.

Being brought up in the Irish Catholic tradition, I was educated in my primary years by nuns. I remember an old Irish nun who would go apoplectic if she saw a southpaw making the sign of the cross with his/her right hand in class. A couple of kids in my class were still southpaws (having not been trained to use the right hand) and one, can't remember his name, say Michael, could not for the life of him remember to use his right hand. We'd start our morning prayers, "In the name of the father... and of the son... and of the...".... we'd be cut short by the old girl... "Stop, stop.... Michael what are yer doin' makin' the soign o' da cross wit your left hand", which, of course would be a mirror image of orthodoxy.... A sign of the Devil!! Poor Michael... it would always take him a couple of tries to get it right before we could carry on.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:12pm

Quote:
Pope Innocent III (contemporary with St. Francis of Assisi) instructed the faithful on the meaning of the sign of the cross in these words: "The sign of the cross is made with three fingers, because the signing is done together with the invocation of the Trinity. This is how it is done: from above to below, and from the right to the left, because Christ descended from the heavens to the earth, and from the Jews (right) he passed to the Gentiles (left)."

Were they all left handers back then? When and why did they change?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:24pm

tallowood wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:12pm:
Quote:
Pope Innocent III (contemporary with St. Francis of Assisi) instructed the faithful on the meaning of the sign of the cross in these words: "The sign of the cross is made with three fingers, because the signing is done together with the invocation of the Trinity. This is how it is done: from above to below, and from the right to the left, because Christ descended from the heavens to the earth, and from the Jews (right) he passed to the Gentiles (left)."

Were they all left handers back then? When and why did they change?

Interesting. Only ever saw it correctly made as above, below, left, right. Maybe the movement flowed better for righties with left then right.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print