Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Left Handed Presidents (Read 1131 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Left Handed Presidents
Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:24am

Quote:
You tip it? Does that require a bit of gymnastics?

Try it out, and make some first hand (make sure it's the left though) observations, if it's such a topic of interest for you. Nothing like a bit of [left] hands on experience now is there?

Quote:
On the 'my culture is better than your culture' argument, didn't the Romans have extensive plumbing well before Muhammed turned up?

They did, but I've already expressed my views on the hypothetical connection between the great civilisations of Greece and Rome, and the Western European civlisation of the last few centuries.

It's about as irrelevant as Muslims claiming the achievements of Pharaonic Egypt or the ancient Indians for themselves.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 8:38am

Quote:
They did, but I've already expressed my views on the hypothetical connection between the great civilisations of Greece and Rome, and the Western European civlisation of the last few centuries.

You mean, that they were in the same place?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:18am

freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:42pm:
It's what to do with the water bottle that has me intrigued Abu. It's a simple question. I din't see why you are shy about it all of a sudden. Are you embarrassed about the Koran?

Also, in places where they had no plumbing, but plenty of water, I would assume they had some kind of bowl of water next to the latrine. What did they do with that?

As far as I'm aware the mohammed made restrictions on "cleansing with dung or bone" and "right hand" only but I could be wrong.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:30am

From Abu:

Quote:
Such simple logistics are not mentioned in the Quran

But I'm pretty sure he also said it contained detailed instructions, and that this made the Muslims cleaner than the filthy infidels. Maybe it's like a secret handshake that he isn't allowed to tell people about.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #34 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:24am

Left handed people include the best  Grin - Even if I was forced to use my right hand at school.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:29am

muso wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:24am:
Left handed people include the best  Grin - Even if I was forced to use my right hand at school.

Out of interest, was it for religious reasons you were forced to use your right hand?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:34am

Left handed people include the best  Grin - Even if I was forced to use my right hand at school.

Did they have surveillance cameras in the school toilets to make sure that you don't cheat?

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #37 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:38am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:29am:

Out of interest, was it for religious reasons you were forced to use your right hand?

I don't think so. It was just a question of conforming to everybody else. I think they used different educational methods in those days. Education by conformity, humiliation and torture from vague memory.

I try not to think too much about my school days.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:47am

I think the problem was they just didn't know how to teach left handed students.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:47am

muso wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:38am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:29am:
Left handed people include the best  Grin - Even if I was forced to use my right hand at school.

I don't think so. It was just a question of conforming to everybody else. I think they used different educational methods in those days. Education by conformity, humiliation and torture from vague memory.

I try not to think too much about my school days.

Being brought up in the Irish Catholic tradition, I was educated in my primary years by nuns. I remember an old Irish nun who would go apoplectic if she saw a southpaw making the sign of the cross with his/her right hand in class. A couple of kids in my class were still southpaws (having not been trained to use the right hand) and one, can't remember his name, say Michael, could not for the life of him remember to use his right hand. We'd start our morning prayers, "In the name of the father... and of the son... and of the...".... we'd be cut short by the old girl... "Stop, stop.... Michael what are yer doin' makin' the soign o' da cross wit your left hand", which, of course would be a mirror image of orthodoxy.... A sign of the Devil!! Poor Michael... it would always take him a couple of tries to get it right before we could carry on.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:12pm

Quote:
Pope Innocent III (contemporary with St. Francis of Assisi) instructed the faithful on the meaning of the sign of the cross in these words: "The sign of the cross is made with three fingers, because the signing is done together with the invocation of the Trinity. This is how it is done: from above to below, and from the right to the left, because Christ descended from the heavens to the earth, and from the Jews (right) he passed to the Gentiles (left)."

Were they all left handers back then? When and why did they change?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:24pm

tallowood wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:12pm:
Quote:
Pope Innocent III (contemporary with St. Francis of Assisi) instructed the faithful on the meaning of the sign of the cross in these words: "The sign of the cross is made with three fingers, because the signing is done together with the invocation of the Trinity. This is how it is done: from above to below, and from the right to the left, because Christ descended from the heavens to the earth, and from the Jews (right) he passed to the Gentiles (left)."

Were they all left handers back then? When and why did they change?

Interesting. Only ever saw it correctly made as above, below, left, right. Maybe the movement flowed better for righties with left then right.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print