Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Islamic Community Supports Bushfire Survivors (Read 1215 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Islamic Community Supports Bushfire Survivors
Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:04am

Islamic Community Supports Bushfire Survivors

Release date: Fri 13 February 2009

As police and emergency services head into their seventh day of the bushfire crisis the cause of many of the blazes remains unclear.

However there is no evidence to support speculation that some of the deliberately lit fires may have been started by some members of the Islamic community.

Victoria Police is disappointed that such accusations are being made without foundation in a time when Victoria and indeed the nation have bandied together during this horrific disaster.

The Islamic community have made a concerted effort to support bushfire survivors, many of whom have donated blood to the Red Cross and only yesterday members of the Preston Mosque personally drove a collection of donated items to the tent city in Whittlesea.

Members of the Islamic community will also be involved in a telethon on SBS tomorrow to raise further funds for the Bushfire Appeal.

Source: Victoria Police

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Re: Islamic Community Supports Bushfire Survivors
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 4:28pm

Good on them.

I actually wanted to raise the question of Muslim response to the appeals. There have been reports of Aussies mobilising in the US and UK, organising collections and that the response, especially in the UK, has been overwhelming, both by expats and Brits. (The idea of brother countries in action, I submit.)

I was wondering what the large number of Australians (40 thousand?) in Lebanon are doing. We last heard about them in relation to the evacuation efforts in 2004. Are there similar relief drives organised by them in Lebanon?  Are Mr Trad and the Rev Mufti mobilising them to help their fellow Australians in Victoria?

We need to know.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 6:10pm

soren, Are you sure there's that many Australians in Lebanon? Sounds like a lot to me. That sounds more like the total number of Australians of Lebanese background.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 9:38pm

Sorry, the 40 thousand is the number of 'Canadians' (Canadian passport holders) in Lebanon. There are only 25 thousand 'Australians' (passport holders) living in Lebanon, according to the SMH.

Are they doing anything for the Victorians? Do they have a sense of connection? Why are they in Lebanon? Are they all retirees?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 4:24am

Quote:
]Are they doing anything for the Victorians? Do they have a sense of connection? Why are they in Lebanon? Are they all retirees?

Since they're Lebanese, and I'm a Muslim, therefore i *must* know every single one of them intimately, right?

Just give me a few minutes, I'll give them all a call, and ask them...

Hold tight buddy, back in a moment.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print