Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Australian Flag (Read 31494 times)
deleted

Australian Flag
Feb 17th, 2009 at 7:21pm

This is currently the flag of the Australia. It was officially recognised as our national flag in 1953. Previous to that it was used by the Commonwealth government but a red ensign flag was used by the state and local governments, private organisations and citizens.

The Australian flag has strong ties to our British heritage. The Union Jack, of course, being the flag of the United Kingdom and an ensign used by most Commonwealth nations. And it's precisely because of this that a lot of Australians want a new flag. Many feel we need a flag that is more unique, gives us a sense of independence and pride for our own country rather than mother England. And with Republicanism being a big issue in Australia, there may be a need for a new flag if and when Australia becomes a Republic.

There have been many suggestions made and competitions held to find an alternative flag. The main objective for most flag designers being to replace or remove the Union Jack. A simple solution is to replace the Union Jack with the Federation Star:

A popular suggestion has been to replace the Union Jack with the Aboriginal Flag:

Here is Sam Neill in the movie Event Horizon wearing an Aboriginal-ensign Australian flag on his sleeve:

But this design has drawn a lot of criticism. First of all, it's not an aesthetically good design. Harold Thomas, the designer of the Aboriginal Flag has objected to this flag saying the Aboriginal flag shouldn't be placed as an adjunct to any other thing.

So some designed have been made which use incorporate elements of our current flag and the Aboriginal flag rather than just placing them side by side as they are. This is a design called the "Sunburnt Flag":

These two versions of the "Reconciliation Flag" were designed by Brendan Jones:

Here is the first version of the "Reconciliation Flag" on a flag pole:

I personally love both of these designs. They are very aesthetically pleasing and they incorporate the current Australian flag and elements of the Aboriginal flag well. I prefer the second design. But I would definitely vote for either of these two in a referendum.

There is also an organisation called Ausflag who have campaigned for a new Australian flag and have held competitions to find the best designs for a new Australian flag.

What do you think of the necessity of a new flag for Australia? Have you seen any designs you like?
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:37pm by deleted »  

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Australian Flag
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 7:29pm

A flag should represent the heritage and history of a nation.

Ausflag will only (when they feel like it) show an interest in "their" designs.  Those decided upon by a very small and limited group.

personally i like our flag even though NZ's is too close to it in design in my opinion.

I'd accept a design of a hybrid Union Flag with aboriginal colours bled into it but not much else.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2009 at 7:35pm by Grendel »  

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:22pm

Like hell if i'll ever accept the Abo flag as a part of the national one. To me it represents black racism, handouts, booze, slums, child rape etc.

THE FLAG DOES NOT REPRESENT ME AT ALL AND I WOULD BE SO ASHAMED IF IT AND WHAT IT REPRESENTS WAS FORCED APON ME.

I am not black nor am i a derelict sorry excuse for a human being unlike those dirty primative embarrassing spooks.

End rant.

If i had to choose though if we were to lose our awesome flag, it would be the Eureka one. And of the options above, the sunburnt flag- it looks very Australian. Sure you may say i'm hypocritical here due to it being a mix of the abo flag and ours i see it differently.
The loss of the black colour does it a lot of justice, to me the flag shows the Australian landscape of the southern cross in the sky with the big orange sun rising over the hot surface of our land.
That does appeal to me.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:30pm by DILLIGAF »  

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:41pm

See how many of those flags I burn and rip up if it ever becomes the National flag.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:44pm

Calanen wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:41pm:
See how many of those flags I burn and rip up if it ever becomes the National flag.

I'll supply the matches.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

deleted

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:51pm

DILLIGAF wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:22pm:
If i had to choose though if we were to lose our awesome flag, it would be the Eureka one. And of the options above, the sunburnt flag- it looks very Australian. Sure you may say i'm hypocritical here due to it being a mix of the abo flag and ours i see it differently.
The loss of the black colour does it a lot of justice, to me the flag shows the Australian landscape of the southern cross in the sky with the big orange sun rising over the hot surface of our land.
That does appeal to me.

Ignoring the racist tirade.

I agree mostly with you about the Sunburnt flag. The design is great and really well though out. It incorporates the old flag (Southern cross and red, white & blue colours), the Aboriginal flag (red lower third and yellow half-circle), and the rising sun over the blood of the Anzacs. I think it's great. I think Brendan Jones' designs a little more stunning, but I'd be so happy with the Sunburnt flag. My objection to the current flag is the Union Jack. I'm so to any proud Monarchs here but I just don't think our relationship with Britain is anything more now than just formality and a technicality. Even militarily we're more faithful to the US than the UK these days. I'd love to become a Republic. I think Australians deserve their own head of state and I think it would do us good to claim our independence for good. But short of that, I think at least we should adopt a new flag that's unique to us, Australians, without the constant reminder of our ties to mother England.

IP Logged

Jim Profit

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:18pm

A challanger appears...

lol!

But I'll just say this, you should go with something that's different from the bars. I know your anscestors were English refugees, and that's the thing. You finally got away from England. Why would you want anything to do with those knuckle teethed fascists?

But I still believe there's something left for you and me.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:18pm

"Sunburnt"... looks like something from Kindi to me... Tongue

So you'd like to ignore who we are and what made us Bob?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:43pm

Cocos Islands flag should become the national flag!!

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

deleted

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:46pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:18pm:
"Sunburnt"... looks like something from Kindi to me... Tongue

You're right. I love the imagery and the symbolism in it but it is a little kindy.

Quote:
So you'd like to ignore who we are and what made us Bob?

No. I just think it's time to move on. I think that no matter how independent we get and how much we cut our ties from Britain, we shouldn't forget our history. But why does that have the be represented by a Union Jack? What's wrong with the red, white and blue? And what about the other part of our history? The traditional owners of this land?   You say "who we are". We are more than just ancestors of British convicts. We are Aboriginals, we are Asian migrants, we are a multicultural country and you'll have to accept that sooner of later because the fringe element of Australian society that wants to evict all non-Whites will never have any sort of power to do so.

IP Logged

deleted

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:49pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:43pm:

Cocos Islands flag should become the national flag!!

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/c/cc.gif

That looks ridiculous.

The palm tree in the yellow circle (I suppose representing the sun) looks cheap.

The crescent moon denotes an Islamic theocracy which we're not and never will be.

Big no to this flag.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:59pm

You have no real idea what I think or what I accept.

Well I support a hybrid UFlag as i said because it incorporates our heritage and history as a nation.  Like it or not the British gave us just about everything that made us what we are today.  Most of our culture, law, government/political system, architecture, arts, sport, language, etc, etc, etc...

I happen to recognise 2 Australian cultures...  the indigenous and the western...  I think most Australians do.  Globally however the Australian western culture is the dominant one.  (Stereotypes and all).

We are not multicultural...  we are multiracial.  A nation can have only one national culture.  We are Australian and so is our culture.  You want to live another culture migrate but don't call it Australian.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:03pm

Thanks Bob. I know we've had this discussion before, but it's great to see some actual suggestions put forward.

'Kindy' is not a bad thing. I think we should resist the urge to overcomplicate the flag.

Personally, I don't see much point in trying to change it. To me a flag is more of a historical symbol than anything else. It's practical value is diminished these days. So for that reason we should stick with what we've got.

It's just a symbol for idiots to wrap themselves in while they beat up immigrants.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deleted

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:20pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:59pm:
You have no real idea what I think or what I accept.

Well I support a hybrid UFlag as i said because it incorporates our heritage and history as a nation.  Like it or not the British gave us just about everything that made us what we are today.  Most of our culture, law, government/political system, architecture, arts, sport, language, etc, etc, etc...

I happen to recognise 2 Australian cultures...  the indigenous and the western...  I think most Australians do.  Globally however the Australian western culture is the dominant one.  (Stereotypes and all).

We are not multicultural...  we are multiracial.  A nation can have only one national culture.  We are Australian and so is our culture.  You want to live another culture migrate but don't call it Australian.

I think we agree, but for some reason we're arguing.

Yes, the British gave us our governmental system, our sport, our culture. Yes, the western culture in Australia is the dominant one. Yes, we should represent our national heritage. But why does that have to be represented by the Union Jack? I think we can represent our British heritage through the colours red, blue and white. I don't know why it's so important that we keep the Union Jack. That's what makes us feel tied down to mother England and not our own nation.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:31pm

Many flags have the Union Flag on it.  Commonwealth countries in particular.  To me it is like being called junior.

So i look at it in the light that when we grow up we have our own version of the Union Flag an Australian hybrid.  This maintains our ties with history and heritage.  

Bleeding in the Aboriginal colours is in my view an act of symbollic reconcilliation.  It cements them as a indellible part of our nation.

I have several versions of a draft at home.

The flag can be seen as a form of Union Flaq, locking in our western history and heritage and also our  indigenous history and heritage.  It has the Southern Cross at its centre identifying our place in the world and if you look carefully it can be seen as spearheads pointing to the stars.

You also cant confuse it with either the Union Flag or the NZ flag.  good for the olympics and commonwealth games.  Grin

As for the anglophobia...  that's just childish.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print