Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ugly ungrateful face of islamophobia (Read 1118 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Ugly ungrateful face of islamophobia
Feb 16th, 2009 at 4:07am

Long before any terrorist attacks against the West, long before any hostilities initiated by the Muslims, non-Muslim Westerners were showing their "gratitude" to Muslims who fought and died to protect their adopted country of Britain, by vandalising the graves of heroes who fought and died for them. This is an early example of the despicable but rising trend of Islamophobia.

-----

Muslim Burial Ground, Horsell Common

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Muslim Burial Ground, Horsell Common was the original resting place of two dozen Muslim soldiers who died during World War I and World War II. It measures about 30 metres (98 ft) by 30 metres and is located at grid reference TQ016599 in the southeast corner of Horsell Common about 100 metres off Monument Road. It is a Grade II listed building.

Large numbers of men from the Indian subcontinent fought on the Western Front during World War I. Some of those who were injured were moved to hospitals on the English south coast including Brighton. Of those, nineteen Muslims died and were buried here. The site was chosen for its proximity to the Shah Jahan Mosque, at the time, the only mosque in England. A further five men who died during World War II were buried here.

In the 1960s the site was becoming subject to vandalism so in 1968 the bodies were transferred to the Military Cemetery at Brookwood.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: Ugly ungrateful face of islamophobia
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:25pm

I really think you are pushing the limits of your credibility here Abu, in looking for signs of hatred, that just did not exist, at least in the way that you are trying to porteay it.

There was a bit of a backlash against "coloured" migration to england, in the  late 1960's, so if the vandalism was motivated by anything other than childish destructiveness, it would have been a general racism, not a specifically anti-muslim sentiment, as it did not exist in those days, because nobody gave a rat's rectum about Islam, until it started making a pest of itself.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 3:08pm

Quote:
because nobody gave a rat's rectum about Islam, until it started making a pest of itself.

That's the point mozza, they did. The claims that all hatred, islamophobia etc. is just a reaction to Muslims actions in 2001 is just nonsense. Racism and acts like this have been occuring for years. Likewise the US invaded Muslim countries, bombed them indiscriminately, overthrew governments, installed dictators etc. long before any 9/11.

As mentioned in a declassified memo from the Eisenhower administration (ie. 1950's):

"There's a campaign of hatred against us in the Middle East, not by governments, but by the people." The National Security Council discussed that question and said, "Yes, and the reason is, there's a perception in that region that the United States supports status quo governments, which prevent democracy and development and that we do it because of our interests in Middle East oil. Furthermore, it's difficult to counter that perception because it's correct. It ought to be correct. We ought to be supporting brutal and corrupt governments which prevent democracy and development because we want to control Middle East oil, and it's true that leads to a campaign of hatred against us."

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 4:49pm

So now they actually want democracy?

Also, racism and Islamophobia were not mentioned or hinted at as a motivation in that memo.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 6:07pm

Quote:
So now they actually want democracy?

Is that what it states? Read it again, not stated at all. Although back in the 1950's, yes they probably would've.. The Arabic world was completely besotted with the West back then. What a great opportunity they [the West] passed up.

Quote:
Also, racism and Islamophobia were not mentioned or hinted at as a motivation in that memo.

And nowhere did I state that it was.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print