Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Muslim Women Don't See Themselves as Oppressed (Read 8014 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Muslim Women Don't See Themselves as Oppressed
Reply #15 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 2:29pm

Quote:
There's very few Shi'a in the Arab world.

Sorry, I didn't catch on that this was a race based argument. You are congratulating the Arabs for doing such a good job of living in squalor?

Quote:
Even if we run with that definition, you know there's a lot more implications to it. If it's just about electing a leader, and nothing more, then Islam has nothing against it, and your original point was moot (ie. that Islam rejects democracy).

But it isn't an election if one faction selects all of the candidates, as is the case with Islam. It is a pretend election.

Quote:
Direct democracy shows that clearly democracy is not just about electing a leader.

This shows us that according to democratic principles electing a leader is just a matter of logistics, rather than a staple part of the system. Because it's not feasible for everyone to legislate, elected representatives do it for them.

Yes, and Islam forbids letting the people elect a leader of their own choice. They can only elect a leader that was already chosen for them. I have no idea what you are trying to get at here. Whatever definition you use for democracy, Islam rejects it.

Quote:
I very much doubt you'd respect their decisions if they were actually able to vote. You already demonstrated this clearly on the Hamas issue

I never said you had to respect people just because they live in a democracy. I ahve explained this countless times Abu. Democracy is not a get out of jail free card. It is not some kind of break in the chain of causation. It is not a religion. Those who support it do not make it out to be something which it isn't.

Quote:
Islam doesn't place any restrictions on voting, it places restrictions on what kind of parties can exist though. ie. They must have Islam as their ideology

Hence, Islam is fundamentally opposed to democracy. It matters not whether you say the limit is on who can stand for election, or who the people are allowed to choose. It's the same thing. Those women asked for the right to vote without interference, and you 'interpretted' this as them asking for you to take away the right to vote for whoever they want.

Quote:
but this is just the same in the West, where they must have democracy/secularism as their ideology

Crap.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 6:16pm

What I would like to know is, of all those women polled, how many felt it was their duty, to let their husbands, as leader of the family, help to choose what to write?

We know Islam is a patriarchal society, so unless there were systems in place, to ensure that women were speaking with absolute freedom, then I would hold serious reservations on the reliability of what is passed on, as their views.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:11pm

Quote:
At 97 percent, Lebanon had the highest percentage of women who said they believed they should be able to make their own voting decisions, followed by Egypt and Morocco at 95 percent.

Of course, Abu interpretted this to mean that they want a system that denies them the right to vote for who they want and only allows them to vote for people approved by whatever the dominant Muslim faction is.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:15am

mozzaok wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 6:16pm:
What I would like to know is, of all those women polled, how many felt it was their duty, to let their husbands, as leader of the family, help to choose what to write?

How many? How many do you think..and do you have any evidence whatsoever to back up your claim.

Do you actually know if their husbands DID choose what to write, or is this just an assumption?

Or are you once again, doing what you do best..

Disguising ignorance as fact.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:19am

freediver wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:11pm:
Quote:
At 97 percent, Lebanon had the highest percentage of women who said they believed they should be able to make their own voting decisions, followed by Egypt and Morocco at 95 percent.

Of course, Abu interpretted this to mean that they want a system that denies them the right to vote for who they want and only allows them to vote for people approved by whatever the dominant Muslim faction is.

Once again Freediver, a quick look at the facts exposes your ignorance.

Every country that has had free elections in the ME has chosen an Islamic party.

Palestine, Algeria, even Turkey has voted pro-Islamists. Iraq under US occupation has also chosen an Islamist based government. In municipal elections last in Egypt, the Islamic brotherhood won a record amount of seats...scaring Mubarak to the once again come down hard and jail members.

If muslim lands truly had the choice to choose their futures...Islam would be the victor. The west knows this..which is why all this talk of 'democracy' in the ME is just empty rhetoric. The west will never allow 'democracy (or your shallow ignorant belief of what democracy is) will never be allowed to be implemented.

THe west quite simply does not want muslims in arab lands to have the same choices that you and I have.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:21am

Quote:
Every country that has had free elections in the ME has chosen an Islamic party.

Duh. They voted for Muslims because most people are Muslims. But to say they are an Islamic party is absurd. Abu goes to great length to constantly point out that middle eastern governments are not true Islamic governments. It's like you will claim them as Islamic governments when it suits your argument, or blame the entire political situation on the west when it suits you. You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
If muslim lands truly had the choice to choose their futures...Islam would be the victor. The west knows this..which is why all this talk of 'democracy' in the ME is just empty rhetoric. The west will never allow 'democracy (or your shallow ignorant belief of what democracy is) will never be allowed to be implemented.

Crap lestat. The 'evil west' is setting up two democracies in the area as we speak. It is not possible to establish a democracy and successfully oppose the will of the people. The 'evil west' is doing more for democracy in the middle east than Muslims have ever done. Islam on the other hand is opposed to democracy, despite Abu's attempts to blur the definition of democracy so that anything involving voting is democratic, even if only Islamist candidates can run.

You contradict yourself constantly. On the one hand the west is setting up pretend democracies where Islamists cannot run, but on the other hand Islamists are winning elections in democracies set up by the west. You ignore the reality and reinterpret the situation to suit whatever point you are making, even if it means giving contradictory interpretations in the same post.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 11:35am

freediver wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:21am:
Quote:

Duh. They voted for Muslims because most people are Muslims. But to say they are an Islamic party is absurd. Abu goes to great length to constantly point out that middle eastern governments are not true Islamic governments. It's like you will claim them as Islamic governments when it suits your argument, or blame the entire political situation on the west when it suits you. You can't have it both ways.

Quote:

Crap lestat. The 'evil west' is setting up two democracies in the area as we speak. It is not possible to establish a democracy and successfully oppose the will of the people. The 'evil west' is doing more for democracy in the middle east than Muslims have ever done. Islam on the other hand is opposed to democracy, despite Abu's attempts to blur the definition of democracy so that anything involving voting is democratic, even if only Islamist candidates can run.

You contradict yourself constantly. On the one hand the west is setting up pretend democracies where Islamists cannot run, but on the other hand Islamists are winning elections in democracies set up by the west. You ignore the reality and reinterpret the situation to suit whatever point you are making, even if it means giving contradictory interpretations in the same post.

Ahh freediver...how naive you are.

Go out, learn what the world 'democracy' means...educate yourself a little...then come back and we may chat.

At the moment your continuously throwing out claims of 'contradictions' cause quite frankly...your ignorant and your way out of depth.

Might explain why you flip and flop with your position, and why you consistently deliberatly misquote people.

I suggest you first of all learn the difference between an Islamic state, and an Islamic party working within a secular democratic framework.

I suspect that you will never understand the difference, then again..that does not really surprise me.

your not that bright are you.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 12:00pm

Quote:
I suggest you first of all learn the difference between an Islamic state, and an Islamic party working within a secular democratic framework.

Of course I know the difference. According to Abu, the former is Islamic, the latter is not Islamic. Islam is fundamentally opposed to democracy.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #23 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 12:23am

Quote:
Crap lestat. The 'evil west' is setting up two democracies in the area as we speak. It is not possible to establish a democracy and successfully oppose the will of the people

Ah right.. democracies that pull down pieces of art because they insult the 'benefactors'??

A sculpture of a shoe erected in Iraq to honour a journalist who threw his footwear at George W Bush has been dismantled, reports say.Foreign media say the bronze-coloured fibre-glass shoe was removed from its site in the city of Tikrit on the orders of the local authorities.

The simple fact is, the West doesn't want democracies in the Middle East, because the people's views are not in line with hers. If Iraq is truly left to be 'democratic' they know that parties will arise who oppose Israel and oppose U.S presence etc. and want Islam... therefore they'll have to 'intervene'. What they're counting on at present is that they can successfully divide the people along sectarian lines, so that they can prevent them ever unanimously agreeing on such things, and then they can slowly pull out, not unlike what the British and French did across the Middle East all those years ago.

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't catch on that this was a race based argument. You are congratulating the Arabs for doing such a good job of living in squalor?

The original discussion was about Arab states. Scroll back and see for yourself.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2009 at 12:28am by abu_rashid »  
abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:07am

Quote:
The simple fact is, the West doesn't want democracies in the Middle East

Yes they do. To claim otherwise is just absurd.

The west has more faith in the choices of Muslims than Islam does.

Quote:
What they're counting on at present is that they can successfully divide the people along sectarian lines, so that they can prevent them ever unanimously agreeing on such things

ABu, Muslims are more than capable of doing that themselves. You can't blame everything on the west.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 6:19pm

freediver wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:07am:
Quote:
The simple fact is, the West doesn't want democracies in the Middle East

The west has more faith in the choices of Muslims than Islam does.

Quote:
What they're counting on at present is that they can successfully divide the people along sectarian lines, so that they can prevent them ever unanimously agreeing on such things

ABu, Muslims are more than capable of doing that themselves. You can't blame everything on the west.

Yet you blame everything on Islam....

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #26 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:00pm

Quote:

As we saw with Hamas, they don't like the choices Muslims generally make.

Also their long history of supporting dictators in the Middle East, tends to indicate they're not serious about it. Yes it's nice to talk about, but in reality their policy has always been to prop up dictators, it's more profitable and keeps the region stable for their interests, and for Israel's.

You can claim absurdities all you like, but it all flies in the face of the reality we've seen for the past 80 years.

Quote:

Again, history tends to prove you incorrect. The sectarian violence we see today is undoubtably a direct result of the U.S invasion. I would also contend that it's most likely the U.S engaged in some 'covert' operations that sparked a lot of it off. Prior to the sectarian violence erupting, Sunni and Shi'a groups were often resisting the U.S jointly, even if not physically, they provided logistics and intelligence information to one another in their common struggle against the invasion forces. We also know the motto of the West has long been "Divide and rule". The sectarian violence has also been a very convenient excuse for the U.S to justify their continued presence.

It's obviously hard to prove, but the motives are quite strong and the fact that the violence has pretty much no history, tends to indicate there's a force that's inciting and feeding it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:18pm

Quote:
Yet you blame everything on Islam....

What do I blame on Islam Lestat?

Quote:
As we saw with Hamas, they don't like the choices Muslims generally make.

And as I pointed out, repeatedly, supporting democracy does not give you free reign to launch rockets into neighbouring countries. You seem to have no idea at all what supporting democracy is all about. It does not mean that you approve of every single outcome, no matter how vile, just because some group of people voted for it. It never has done and never will. If you cannot understand this simple point, then you cannot understand what democracy is really about. Repeating it over and over again and ignoring the responses you get doesn't add weight to your absurd claim.

Quote:
You can claim absurdities all you like, but it all flies in the face of the reality we've seen for the past 80 years.

Your statements fly in the face of the current reality. The west is setting up two democracies. There is no way around that Abu. It is a fact.

Quote:
I would also contend that it's most likely the U.S engaged in some 'covert' operations that sparked a lot of it off.

And Muslims just fell into line and started blowing each other up? Is this part of the creed of coming to the dfense of every Muslim, no matter how vile their actions?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #28 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:38pm

Quote:
You seem to have no idea at all what supporting democracy is all about...

Actually it's you who has no idea. Supporting democracy is a load of bollocks, and the U.S would never support a democracy, unless they can guarantee 'friendlies'' will take the helm. Deep down you know it to be true, you're just hiding behind this ridiculous argument that "democracy is not a license".

Egypt for instance is the largest  Arab country, and it's well known the Muslim Brotherhood (the parent group of Hamas) has the strongest support there, even when running as independants (because they're banned as a party, as are any Islamic parties), they always blitz any half fair election. Now, do you honestly mean to tell me, the U.S would like to see fair and free elections held in Egypt? Can you tell me why they pour billions of dollars a year into propping up the current regime, if what they really sincerely want is the 'will of the people'???

You're not connected with reality fd.

Quote:
The west is setting up two democracies. There is no way around that Abu. It is a fact.

We will see how things pan out when/if the U.S pulls out of Iraq. The Shi'a majority have quite clearly declared they merely 'used' the U.S to get rid of Saddam, let's see how they begin acting once the U.S pulls out. As for Afghanistan, more than half the country is controlled by the Talibaan, give me a break.

Quote:
And Muslims just fell into line and started blowing each other up?

All it would've taken would be one bomb strategically detonated at a Shi'a shrine, and that alone could account for all the subsequent violence we've seen. Shi'as then begin attacking Sunni neighbourhoods and so the cycle of violence began...

You didn't address the fact that historically, no such sectarian violence existed.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:49pm

Quote:
Supporting democracy is a load of bollocks, and the U.S would never support a democracy, unless they can guarantee 'friendlies'' will take the helm.

Abu you cannot set up a democracy in a hostile place like Iraq or Afghanistan an expect any kind of guarantee about the outcome. It is a huge gamble, and it shows that the US has more faith in Muslims to think for themselves than Islam does.

Quote:
Deep down you know it to be true, you're just hiding behind this ridiculous argument that "democracy is not a license".

No Abu, I am 'hiding' behind the fact that the US is creating two new democracies.

Quote:
All it would've taken would be one bomb strategically detonated at a Shi'a shrine, and that alone could account for all the subsequent violence we've seen. Shi'as then begin attacking Sunni neighbourhoods and so the cycle of violence began...

And it is America's fault that Muslims are so easy to 'trick' into slaughtering each other. If it is so easy, there would be no need for the US to ignite anything. It would be inevitable. It is inevitable. Hopefully they'll come to their senses after the more extreme ones have slughtered each other, and whatever children get in their way.

Quote:
You didn't address the fact that historically, no such sectarian violence existed.

Is this that fairytale version of history again?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print