Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Taking Jews and Christians as friends (Read 32167 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Taking Jews and Christians as friends
Reply #60 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:52am

Quote:
Yet it is my post (which was in response to his) which you find odd. I wonder why...I suppose you don't like having yours (and the wests) hypocricy being highlighted.

Are you denying that there has been (and was) a major problem with Australian men going on sex tours in Thailand which invovled sex with minors?

I just don't see sex tourism as anything to do with Australian values. I think it is very odd that you would portray Australian culture that way.

Quote:
This is just nonsense, and you have absolutely nothing to back it up, besides your bigotted pre-concieved ideas.

I have plenty to back it up.

Quote:
Fact is far more western marriages end in divorce then muslim marriages, even in Australia, where these apparent concepts of servitude and denial of basic freedoms are almost non-existence.

It is the interopretation of the facts which we disagree on. Back when western women were in a similar role of servitude and dependence, divorce rates were similarly low. Low divorce rates can just as easily signal a culture that oppresses women and sees them as sex objects.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #61 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 10:31am

Quote:
It is naive to think that the Islamic approach tends to lead more often to genuine love, given that it is so heavily propped up by concepts of servitude and denial of basic freedoms.

It's not just Islamic countries. Many other societies which have more 'traditional' views of love and marriage also have lower divorce rates.

As for the spin you applied about servitude and lack of freedom, the only freedom which is missing in Islamic marriages which is relevant here is the lack of freedom for a woman to seek a no-fault divorce. This would indeed lower the need to resort to divorce, and that's quite obviously one of the wisdoms behind Islam adopting this law. However, in my opinion it's more to do with the fact that Muslims, and some other cultures which still hold onto 'tradition' values, believe in giving it a go and 'battling' through the rough patches, whereas Westernn culture is more about personal freedoms, do what you want, bail out as soon as the going get's tough, move on, you'll find someone else etc.

I prefer the former. And it sounds as if you prefer the latter... that's fine, no problem here, to you be your way and to me mine.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #62 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 10:55am

Soren wrote on Jan 29th, 2009 at 8:25am:
Lestat wrote on Jan 29th, 2009 at 8:14am:
Marrying someone whilst you are 'in love' with them is like making the biggest decision of your life whilst your drunk.

This explains why so many marriages in Australia end in divorce...1 in 3.

And in Mohammedan countries... [mod:
reference to deleted posts
]

soren,

Rather than suffering the deflections of ppl like Lestat, because you use the term 'Mohammedan countries', for the purpose of the debate, would it be worth instead, referring to those places as Sharia jurisdictions [i.e places where ISLAM has influence] ??
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:47pm by abu_rashid »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 12:13pm

Quote:
It's not just Islamic countries. Many other societies which have more 'traditional' views of love and marriage also have lower divorce rates.

You are confusing divorce rates with a measure of love. The more 'traditional' societies use all sorts of cultural pressures to rpevent people getting a divorce, even if there is no love. The absence of divorce is not an indication of love in the marriage, but the practical and psychological constraints on getting a divorce.

On the other, rejecting the notion that people get married because they are in love obviously leads to less genuine love in marriage. It makes marriage an institution based on servitude.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #64 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:50pm

Yadda,

What soren refers to as "Mahommedan countries" and what you advised him to refer to as "Shariah jurisdictions" are pretty much all under exclusively European-based law systems. There are very few Muslim countries that did not wholesale adopt Europe codes of law, when they gained their 'independance'.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #65 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 4:18am

soren,

If you'd like to discuss temporary marriage, you may open a topic on it, but it must be asked respectfully. None of this slander about prostitutes etc. Perhaps Malik will answer your questions if he sees it. Since temporary marriage is not permitted in mainstream Islam, using it in this discussion is just pointless. I do not believe in temporary marriage, nor do the vast majority (over 90%) of Muslims.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #66 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 9:25am

abu_rashid wrote on Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:50pm:
Yadda,

What soren refers to as "Mahommedan countries" and what you advised him to refer to as "Shariah jurisdictions"
are pretty much all under exclusively European-based law systems.
There are very few Muslim countries that did not wholesale adopt Europe codes of law, when they gained their 'independance'.

abu,

What is currently happening in, for example, Jordan and Egypt today, don't exactly reflect legal systems, which a casual observer would understand to be modelled upon ".....exclusively European-based law systems."

abu,

YOUR CLAIMS, ARE QUOTED ABOVE.

THE FACTS, ARE STATED BELOW, BY EXAMPLE.....

SHARIA JURISDICTIONS ARE ALWAYS TOLERANT AND ACCOMMODATING OF NON-MUSLIMS,
.....except when they are not,

Monday June 09, 2008
JORDAN: COURT ANNULS CHRISTIAN CONVERT’S MARRIAGE
"By leaving Islam, ‘apostate’ loses right because he ‘has no creed.’
....The North Amman Sharia Court in April dissolved the marriage of Mohammad Abbad, on trial for apostasy, or leaving Islam.
The 40-year-old convert fled Jordan with his wife and two young children in March after another Christian convert’s relatives attacked Abbad’s family in their home and his father demanded custody of Abbad’s children.
Marriage depends on the creed [religion], and the apostate has no creed, a May 22 court document stated, detailing reasons for the April 22 annulment. According to the document, Judge Faysal Khreisat had proven the veracity of [Abbad’s] apostasy."
http://www.compassdirect.org/en/display.php?page=news&lang=en&length=long&idelem...

This example above, sounds like a system of law influenced by ISLAM,
....and not a "European-based law system".

Egypt Rules Christian Convert Must Remain Legally Muslim
Feb. 03 2008
An Egyptian judge ruled this week in an unprecedented case that a Muslim who converted to Christianity cannot legally change his religious status....
.....Muhammad Hegazy, 25, lost his case on Tuesday when Judge Muhammad Husseini of a court in Cairo said according to sharia, or Islamic law, Islam is the final and most complete religion and therefore Muslims already practice full freedom of religion and cannot convert to an older belief (Christianity or Judaism),
.....The judge didn’t listen to our defense, and we didn’t even have a chance to talk before the court, said Gamel Eid, head of the Arab Network for Human Rights Information (ANHRI) to U.S. Copts Association.
http://www.christianpost.com/article/20080203/egypt-rules-christian-convert-must...

This example above, sounds like a system of law influenced by ISLAM,
....and not a "European-based law system".

".....The judge didn’t listen to our defense, and we didn’t even have a chance to talk before the court"

An apostate [i.e. a person now a non-muslim] accused can't even present his case, his defence, to a judge in Sharia court?

This doesn't sound very much like a "European-based law system" to me.

Koran,

"....those who reject (Allah),- for them is destruction, and (Allah) will render their deeds astray (from their mark).
....those who reject Allah have no protector."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/047.qmt.html#047.008
v. 8-11

Quote:
.......An Egyptian judge ruled this week in an unprecedented case that a Muslim who converted to Christianity cannot legally change his religious status...."

But, but, but, that is an un-ISLAMIC ruling, surely?

"Let there be no compulsion in religion......."
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/002.qmt.html#002.256

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #67 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:12pm

Quote:
I do not believe in temporary marriage, nor do the vast majority (over 90%) of Muslims.

Yet you are more than happy to characterise 'the evil west' by the small minority who visit prostitutes.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:21am

freediver wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:12pm:
Quote:
I do not believe in temporary marriage, nor do the vast majority (over 90%) of Muslims.

Yet you are more than happy to characterise 'the evil west' by the small minority who visit prostitutes.

Isn't that what Soren just did? Completely changing the topic to do so.

And its a bit rich, considering that you are more then happy to characterize 'evil muslims' by actions of some. Then again...you've always been known to thrive on double standards and hypocricy.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #69 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 9:41am

Yadda,

Quote:
What is currently happening in, for example, Jordan and Egypt today, don't exactly reflect legal systems, which a casual observer would understand to be modelled upon ".....exclusively European-based law systems."

There's no doubting there's a few 'remnants' left over from the Islamic period, but those two countries are very much run by Western law, not Islamic law.

Quote:
Based on Islamic law and civil law (particularly French codes). Egypt attained independence from Ottoman Empire in matters of legal and judicial administration in 1874. Judicial reform began in 1875, leading to establishment of mukhtalatat (mixed) and ahli (national) courts. As Egypt increasingly came under foreign influence, legal system began resembling European systems to a greater extent.
Source

Quote:
Sources of law are legislation, constitutional law, Islamic law and custom.

Jordan was a part of the Ottoman Empire until WWI, then under indirect British rule, and attained full independence in 1947. The Ottoman legacy was influential even after the dissolution of the Empire. Jordanian legislation and the legal system are also influenced by European legal systems as well as by Egyptian and Syrian developments and reforms, particularly in personal status matters.
Source

Quote:
Egypt Rules Christian Convert Must Remain Legally Muslim

Not like it doesn't happen the other way 'round. In fact when a Coptic priests wife embraced Islam, the government forced her to return to him, and Coptics rioted violently in the streets for weeks, until she was forced to return to her husband.

...the country was Egypt and the woman was the wife of a Coptic priest, the issue led to street demonstrations, arrests, accusations of religious discrimination, the "seclusion" of the Coptic Pope and the eventual intervention of President Hosni Mubarak...

...The police informed Constantine that she had to first consult a priest before her conversion became official...

...her life was endangered by angered Copts....

...On December 7, 1,000 Copts gathered at the main Cairo cathedral and a riot ensued.  Stone throwers injured 21 policemen, who in turn arrested 34 people...

Source

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #70 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 9:51am

Quote:

Prostitution is pretty widespread in Australian society, denying this just means you're trying to cover it over. A LOT of people frequent them at some time in their lives, and besides that it's legal and accepted by the society at large.

Compare that to Shi'a temporary marriage, which probably isn't acceptable in any Muslim country except Iran. It's not just a matter of a minority of people doing it, it's a matter of a completely seperate sub-group of people doing it, completely detached and unaccepted by the rest. If for instance, only New Zealanders had prostitutes, and Canada, US, Australia, UK etc. did not... And then I claimed that Australians frequent prostitutes, because 10% of 'Westerners' do (ie. New Zealanders).

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #71 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:14am

Quote:
And its a bit rich, considering that you are more then happy to characterize 'evil muslims' by actions of some.

Please quote where I did that Lestat.

Quote:
Prostitution is pretty widespread in Australian society, denying this just means you're trying to cover it over.

How widespread? I've never visited one, and I'm not aware of my friends ever doing so either.

Quote:
If for instance, only New Zealanders had prostitutes, and Canada, US, Australia, UK etc. did not... And then I claimed that Australians frequent prostitutes, because 10% of 'Westerners' do (ie. New Zealanders).

Didn't you say it was a Shia concept? Are Shites only in Iran?

You are confusing the rejection of something with support for banning it. You are confusing the west's tolerance for people with different sexual standards with everyone having low standards.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 11:38am

freediver wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:14am:
Please quote where I did that Lestat.

lol..where do you want me to start. How bout your wiki for starters. Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #73 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 11:56am

The wiki is about Islamic law and how it clashes with western values. It is based on silamic ideology, not the actions of Muslims. That is why I was so careful to ask people like Abu what Islam is about.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Islam_and_Australian_values

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 3:15pm

freediver wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:12pm:
Quote:

I doubt there would be much difference between male visitation of prostitutes in the west as vs the land of Islam. If anything,because you cant just go and meet a girl in a pub and sleep with her, ud think prostitution would be more prevalent in Islamic sexually repressed places.  But who knows for sure.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print