Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you find a hijab offensive ?

yes    
  9 (40.9%)
no    
  13 (59.1%)
undecided    
  0 (0.0%)
too cowardly to vote    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 22
« Created by: Sprintcyclist on: Jan 15th, 2009 at 8:36am »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Offensive hijab (Read 25477 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Offensive hijab
Reply #150 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:58am

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:23am:
She wore hijab, which doesn't really cover her identity. Effectively the hijab had little or no effect on concealing her identity.

So you think she wore it because she is a Muslim?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #151 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 4:56pm

That crime most definitely blackened more image of muslim women who insist on wearing hijab everywhere and anywhere. May be they should take this into consideration?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #152 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 8:55pm

Quote:

Probably.

As has been pointed out numerous times before, and is something which many seem to be completely unable to fathom, Hijab is NOT a religious dress, it is merely a level of public decency. Just like bras are not Christian religious dress, although as far as I'm aware all Christian women are required to cover their breasts in public.

If a Christian woman committed a crime with a bra on, would she be an extra bad Christian? Because after all, she was modest enough to cover her breasts, yet here she was committing a crime.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #153 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:06pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 8:55pm:
Quote:

Probably.

As has been pointed out numerous times before, and is something which many seem to be completely unable to fathom, Hijab is NOT a religious dress, it is merely a level of public decency. Just like bras are not Christian religious dress, although as far as I'm aware all Christian women are required to cover their breasts in public.

If a Christian woman committed a crime with a bra on, would she be an extra bad Christian? Because after all, she was modest enough to cover her breasts, yet here she was committing a crime.

So hijab is comparable to a bra and modest muslim women wear them on their heads?   Shocked

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #154 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:09pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 8:55pm:
Quote:

Probably.

Hijab wearing muslims in this society are as ridiculous and anachronistic as goths, clowns and other kooks . They are harmless but ridiculous because they parade and protestt their identity. That is, they are, paradoxically, immodest.. They are shouting, 'look at me, I am different!.
Niqab and face veil wearers are offensive and outrageous in this society. Except during carnivale, there is no place for masks in public places in this society. I would refuse to talk to anyone who is face is covered. I would treated it as a personal affront.
There is no excuse for it.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #155 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:28pm

tallo,

Quote:
So hijab is comparable to a bra and modest muslim women wear them on their heads?

Sorry I  forgot we had toilet humour kiddies around. The Hijab is just like any other article of clothing considered required by Christians (be it t-shirt, pants, whatever is required to cover ones nakedness, hijab is merely a part of that).

soren,

Quote:
Hijab wearing muslims in this society are as ridiculous and anachronistic as goths, clowns and other kooks .

Or bra-wearing Christian women in Papua New Guinea.

Should a woman uncover part of her nakedness if she moves to a society where it's the norm not to cover that part? As a Christian soren, would you want your wife/daughter/sister to walk around topless if you happened to move to PNG?

Just so she wouldn't look ridiculous and anachronistic?

Quote:
That is, they are, paradoxically, immodest.. They are shouting, 'look at me, I am different!.

They're not doing antything of the kind. I'm sure they'd prefer to be unnoticable. But in a society which places great emphasis on conformity (even though it ironically claims to believe in personal choice) it is seen as non-conformist. It is you who is shouting, about them. It is you who points them out to be different, not they. They're simply covering what they believe should be covered.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #156 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:36pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:28pm:
tallo,

Quote:
So hijab is comparable to a bra and modest muslim women wear them on their heads?

Sorry I  forgot we had toilet humour kiddies around. ...

abu, that is what you implied by comparing a head dress to an underwear. I just could not believe that you would make a mockery out of islamic dress code  Undecided

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #157 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:41pm

soren,

Quote:
Hijab wearing muslims in this society are as ridiculous and anachronistic as goths, clowns and other kooks .

Or bra-wearing Christian women in Papua New Guinea.

Should a woman uncover part of her nakedness if she moves to a society where it's the norm not to cover that part? As a Christian soren, would you want your wife/daughter/sister to walk around topless if you happened to move to PNG?

in tribal areas - yes! Running around in a bra when all thee other women are topless is stupid and clownish.

Quote:
That is, they are, paradoxically, immodest.. They are shouting, 'look at me, I am different!

They're not doing antything of the kind. I'm sure they'd prefer to be unnoticable. But in a society which places great emphasis on conformity (even though it ironically claims to believe in personal choice) it is seen as non-conformist. It is you who is shouting, about them. It is you who points them out to be different, not they. They're simply covering what they believe should be covered.

So if western women believe that their heads do not need to be covered -why would the guardians of Araby, in Araby, insist that they do cover up? Because when in Araby, do as the Arabs. But when you are not, don't.
This issa simple principle. except Muslims want their principles to apply everywhere, to everyone. And I do mean everyone.
Otherwise it's cat's meat, innit.

I look at some hijabis in jeans. And  think how pathetic.  I can see their pantyline but not their hair.  

Bimbos with headscarves.

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:53pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #158 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:42pm

Abu, would you mind running through with me what the required clothing is for Christians?

Why is it that you keep referring to Christianity for a comparison, even though there is nothing comparable in Christianity?

Also, you haven't yet explained how America is responsible for this Muslim woman doing the wrong thing.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

northy

Australian Politics

Reply #159 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 10:36pm

abu_rashid wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:23am:
She wore hijab, which doesn't really cover her identity. Effectively the hijab had little or no effect on concealing her identity.

If you look at the photos attached to the BBC story, she is wearing a tent like cloak and hijab that does cover some important identifying things as noted in my reply #147.

The fact that this woman (if it is a woman) has not been positively identified and caught after being suspected of more than one crime more than likely has at least something to do with her partial disguise.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #160 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 10:58pm

tallow,

Quote:
abu, that is what you implied by comparing a head dress to an underwear.

I did not compare it to underwear, I compared it to covering a piece of the human anatomy, as covering the hair is. But as bras are giggle-worthy items of clothing for you, you couldn't resist. Let us just  say a t-shirt if that helps you to undertsand the comparison a little better, without distracting you into thinking about women's under garments.

soren,

Quote:
in tribal areas - yes! Running around in a bra when all thee other women are topless is stupid and clownish.

So you'd have no problem with your wife/sister/daughter etc. walking around topless? If your work for example happened to take you to such a location?

Quote:
So if western women believe that their heads do not need to be covered -why would the guardians of Araby, in Araby, insist that they do cover up?

For the same reason Western governments require New Guinean women cover their breasts when they come to Western societies. Because it's considered to be indecent exposure of one's nakedness.

Quote:
I look at some hijabis in jeans. And  think how pathetic.  I can see their pantyline but not their hair.

That just highlights my point that the Hijab is no special religious cloth, it's just a part of covering one's nakedness. Otherwise, they'd make sure they covered other parts before worrying about their hair.

This example is about as relevant as me stating some Christian women cover their breasts but expose their thighs.

freediver,

Quote:
Abu, would you mind running through with me what the required clothing is for Christians?

I'll refer you to the "horse's mouth".

Christian clothing
The Christian's appearance
From the pastor's wife
Dress standards for the teenage girl

There's plenty more out there, try looking for once. It's also a known fact that for most of Christianity's history, women dressed much more modestly, and in fact in earlier times, most covered their hair. Some Christian women till thiss day still cover their hair, some any time they leave the same (same as Muslims) and some on in holy places, like Chuches. Ever seen a picture of the Virgin Mary without hijab? Why not?

Quote:
Also, you haven't yet explained how America is responsible for this Muslim woman doing the wrong thing.

America?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

northy

Australian Politics

Reply #161 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 11:04pm

The Hijab is just like any other article of clothing considered required by Christians (be it t-shirt, pants, whatever is required to cover ones nakedness, hijab is merely a part of that).

Should a woman uncover part of her nakedness if she moves to a society where it's the norm not to cover that part?

They're simply covering what they believe should be covered.

I am aware that there are many practising muslims who claim that head covering of any sort is not neccessary.

Your obsession with the nakedness of women is ugly and misogynistic.

If you accused the female members of your own family who did not convert to islam, of being partially naked if they did not cover their hair it would not be hard to imagine them giving you a thoroughly deserved crack in the ears.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #162 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 12:53am

Quote:
I am aware that there are many practising muslims who claim that head covering of any sort is not neccessary

It is a requirement of Islamic dress code, according to all 4 schools of mainstream Islamic thought. And according to the Shi'a sect as well. There  is no difference of opinion about it being compulsory, there are however different levels of practise amongst individuals, and this is more rightly what you seem to be referring to.

I think you mentioned Albanians? Since they lived under Communism for quite a long time, during which it was forbidden to practise any outward aspect  of Islam, many Albanians do not. However, the Albanians I've met in Melbourne do cover their hair, so if I were to just judge Albanians by my experience I'd say the complete opposite to you about them.. That just shows that personal exposure to a few members of a community is not a good indicator of the majority.

Quote:
Your obsession with the nakedness of women is ugly and misogynistic.

I have no obsesssion with nakedness, nowhere have I ever opened a thread or topic of conservation on such issues. If anything, the non-Muslim members here are obsessed with Muslim women not wanting to expose what they consider to be their nakedness, and I merely respond to them.

Likewise, as I've pointed out, the nakedness of a man according to Islam is different to Australian law also. Any man wearing speedos to the beach for instance would be considered naked by Islamic standards, as would any AFL player, because Islam requires men to cover right down to the knee.

My comments have nothing to do with nakedness of women, they are to do with the Islamic concept of nakedness, for both men and women, and the Islamic requirements of covering that nakedness. It is no more misogynistic than you stating under Australian law a woman must cover her breasts and genitals.

Quote:
If you accused the female members of your own family who did not convert to islam, of being partially naked if they did not cover their hair it would not be hard to imagine them giving you a thoroughly deserved crack in the ears.

Actually i've had that discussion, since you mention it, at the initiation of a female member of my family, not at my initiation, and it didn't result in any crack of the ears.

If you have a friend who's a nudist, and you consider them to be indecentally exposing themselves, is there anything wrong with your view? You just have a different understanding of what's right and wrong than them... is there anyhting wrong with that? Must we all conform to the exact same standards of what's right and wrong?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #163 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 5:59am

"A Woman's concept of her own nakedness is hers and hers alone, not yours to dictate to her. " (c) abu

So according to abu islamics should bugger off with their dress code.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #164 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 6:06am

In Australia, nobody enforces hijab, Muslim women choose to wear it themselves. It's only some Australians who'd like to deny them that right, which causes problems.

Besides, asking someone to cover more than their own perceived level of nakedness is no threat to their own personal concept of nakedness anyway. If someone demanded I cover more of my legs than just to my knees (what I believe to be nakedness) I'd have no problem with it. If they asked me to expose some of what  I consider nakedness, then I'd certainly have a problem.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print