Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you find a hijab offensive ?

yes    
  9 (40.9%)
no    
  13 (59.1%)
undecided    
  0 (0.0%)
too cowardly to vote    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 22
« Created by: Sprintcyclist on: Jan 15th, 2009 at 8:36am »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Offensive hijab (Read 25478 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Offensive hijab
Jan 15th, 2009 at 8:36am

"A BRISBANE radio station may have to explain why it should keep its licence after an announcer was accused of making anti-Islamic comments on air.

Former Victorian police officer, now 4BC drive-time announcer, Michael Smith called for Muslim women who wear an Islamic hijab in public to be fined for offensive behaviour.

He made the remarks on-air and on the 4BC website, saying: "Any reasonable person would find this offensive."

Islamic Council of Queensland president Suliman Sabdia said Mr Smith's remarks amounted to "a clear case of intolerance".

Under the Commercial Radio Code of Practice, a licensee must not broadcast a program likely to incite hatred against or vilify any person or group on the basis of age, ethnicity, nationality, race, gender, sexual preference, religion, or disability.

Christine Donnelly from the Australian Communications and Media Authority said Mr Smith's comments could be a breach of the Code of Practice.

4BC general manager David McDonald said Mr Smith's remarks were not intended to be anti-religion or anti-Muslim. "

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24913953-952,00.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: Offensive hijab
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 8:49am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 8:36am:
"A BRISBANE radio station may have to explain why it should keep its licence after an announcer was accused of making anti-Islamic comments on air.

Former Victorian police officer, now 4BC drive-time announcer, Michael Smith called for Muslim women who wear an Islamic hijab in public to be fined for offensive behaviour.

He made the remarks on-air and on the 4BC website, saying: "Any reasonable person would find this offensive."

Islamic Council of Queensland president Suliman Sabdia said Mr Smith's remarks amounted to "a clear case of intolerance".

Under the Commercial Radio Code of Practice, a licensee must not broadcast a program likely to incite hatred against or vilify any person or group on the basis of age, ethnicity, nationality, race, gender, sexual preference, religion, or disability.

Christine Donnelly from the Australian Communications and Media Authority said Mr Smith's comments could be a breach of the Code of Practice.

4BC general manager David McDonald said Mr Smith's remarks were not intended to be anti-religion or anti-Muslim. "

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24913953-952,00.html

Bloody idiot. He obviously doesn't even know what a hijab is. What does he think nuns should be fined for offensive behaviour too? What about scarfs? Maybe they should ban the scarf section in David Jones.

He's a good illustration of the expression "Give them enough rope". Ex cop too. I wonder what he was sacked for.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:04am

It's a stupid opinion but just an opinion. I don't see how it should be illegal or incite hatred.

The recent story about a woman being allowed to wear it for her driver's licence photo, if true, is stupidity and political gutlessness gone mad.

If true, everyone should insist that they wear a balaclava or cowboy scarf or full face helmet or simply present whatever photo they like.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:23am

Wearing the hijab is a clear sign they are giving our free society the forks.
As such, it is offensive.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 10:22am

It is only offensive if you are looking for something to get offended about. It is hypersensitivity, nothing more. It's the same thing we accuse Muslims of.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 10:34am

I'm offended that my sense of offensiveness is discredited !!!

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:32am

This is a hijab. Now if it was a burka, that would be another problem, especially with regards to identity documents.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:37am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:23am:

Mate, I beg to differ - any more than wearing a crucifix or a Star of David would be.

Put it this way - most Muslims in Australia are law abiding citizens who recognise Australian law.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:42am

muso wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:37am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:23am:

Mate, I beg to differ - any more than wearing a crucifix or a Star of David would be.

Put it this way - most Muslims in Australia are law abiding citizens who recognise Australian law.

I agree. I think objection to it owes a lot to ignorance or Christian 'turf war' chauvanism.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:52am

I voted no because I don't care if they put hijab or condoms on their heads, though,  IMHO, condoms would be funnier.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Condoms over their heads would be more appropriate too.
Esp if the men wore the head condoms

Quote:
A BRISBANE radio announcer's controversial call for a ban on the wearing of Islamic hijabs has been backed by the National Retailers Association.

The peak national body has called for all hijabs, helmets and hoodies to be banned in shops and banks for security purposes.

Brisbane radio presenter Michael Smith angered listeners after calling for Muslim women who wear a hijab to be fined.

The 4BC drive presenter, a former Victorian policeman, said on Wednesday that wearing the hijab or burka posed a security risk because it obscured the face, making it difficult to identify the wearer in the instance of a crime.

Smith said it should be made an offence.

The radio station may have to explain why it should keep its licence after Smith was accused of making anti-Islamic comments on air.

Retailers association executive director Scott Driscoll said it had been a long accepted practice to require customers to remove helmets and other identity obscuring headwear when entering a shop or bank.

"Retailers should not have to fear any form of retribution or backlash for requiring the removal of any obscuring headwear, including hijabs, as a condition of entry," Mr Driscoll said.

"This is about ensuring a more safe and secure retail environment for all and being able to readily identify any and all perpetrators of armed hold-ups or shop theft."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24913953-3102,00.html

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 4:25pm

And now the story changes:

Quote:

Quote:
The 4BC drive presenter, a former Victorian policeman, said on Wednesday that wearing the hijab or burka posed a security risk because it obscured the face, making it difficult to identify the wearer in the instance of a crime.

Smith said it should be made an offence.

Is 4BC owned by the same people? Maybe they are trying to change the story in response to being called idiots by too many people. Is 4BC a historical reference?

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 5:25pm

I've heard what he has had to say. He was a former Victorian Police officer. He said, that no one should be able to wear coverings over their face into banks, and other high risk places, for religion or any other reason.

Have a look:

http://www.4bc.com.au/drive

Covering your face in public, should not be permitted and should be an offence. That's what he said.

People working in banks are terrified when people wearing burquas come in. Why should people covering their faces be permitted to do so in an airport,  a bank, a jeweller's.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 5:38pm

Those are two very different issues you are confusing. I suspect this Victorian dimwit is deliberately mixing them up.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 6:23pm

freediver wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 5:38pm:
Those are two very different issues you are confusing. I suspect this Victorian dimwit is deliberately mixing them up.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm posting a link so you can hear what he says himself.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print