Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
the 'peaceful' empire fairytale (Read 16925 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
the 'peaceful' empire fairytale
Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:21am

I find it very difficult to match Abu's Islamic fairytale view of history where the Caliphate spread peacefully and only ever acted in self defence, with the notion that the Caliphate would be obligued to side with Muslim terrorists. There will always be lunatics on the fringe stirring up trouble. Blindly siding with them makes war inevitable. It's like the Caliph turns his back while Muslims harass their neighbours, then when the neighbours retaliate the Caliph can suddenly see again and uses it as an excuse to invade. If it somehow makes it to court, the non-Muslims are not even allowed to testify against Muslims, which pretty much guarantees that the official records always show the Muslims as victims. In fact non-Muslims are only allowed to testify that they support Muslims. It is extremly naive to accept the resulting fairytale version of the peaceful society that out of self defence turns into a masively expanding empire. The claims that people welcomed the Muslims with open arms wherever they went are not a reflection of reality, but merely reflect the fact that Islam only allows that story to be recorded. According to Islam, Muslims tell the truth and Dhimmis lie, unless of course the Dhimmis support the Muslims.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 3:23pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: the 'peaceful' empire
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:56am

Quote:
I find it very difficult to match Abu's Islamic fairytale view of history where the Caliphate spread peacefully and only ever acted in self defence

It is a fairytale, just for Western consumption. Behind closed doors, in Arabic, muslims will proudly boast about their military conquests and jihad etc etc.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: the 'peaceful' empire fairytale
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 8:04pm

Quote:
Behind closed doors, in Arabic, muslims will proudly boast about their military conquests and jihad etc etc.

Nope, it's no secret Muslims were successful in most of their campaigns. I can gladly boast in English in front of you if you like.

We just dispute the claims that Islam spread violently and in an aggressive imperialistic way, like for instance the way the Spanish or English empires spread (and Christianity with them). Just consider the difference in the way Islam dealt with new 'citizens'. They became full citizens, under the Spanish/British systems, they were just like slaves. They were subjects, butt certainly had none of the rights of citizenship. The only way they could travel to other parts of the empire was as free/cheap labour to populate and build new colonies. Whilst any citizen of the Islamic Caliphate could travel anywhere within the borders of Dar as-Salaam.

Even many Western historians are now beginning to accept the facts and wipe off the years of hostility and inaccurate portrayals of the history between the West and the 'Saracens'. There's quite a lot of good documentaries for instance on the Islamic empire and especially about it's 700 year history in the Iberian peninsula. I know they're all just braindead dhimmis to you, but did you ever consider maybe you're just an extremist nut driven by hatred and a warped view of another culture? You are in fact the one clinging onto ancient ideas. The outdated orientalist slanders and tainted accounts of a history which was actually much brighter from the 'other side'.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 9:53pm

Quote:
Just consider the difference in the way Islam dealt with new 'citizens'. They became full citizens, under the Spanish/British systems, they were just like slaves.

Didn't the Caliphate gain new 'citizens' by conquering people and enslaving them, then using the women as sex slaves?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 11:43pm

You seem to know already freediver, so you tell me?

What I can tell you is, millions of non-Muslims came under the Caliphate and became full citizens of it, able to migrate to any part of it they liked, as free citizens. To enjoy its hospitals, universities etc.

How many Aborigines migrated to London again.. as free citizens of the British empire?  Grin

Didn't they take one there once as a bit of a spectacle? Something like a circus attraction...

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 1:28pm

Quote:
millions of non-Muslims came under the Caliphate and became full citizens of it

You mean the ones that became Muslims became full citizens right? Or do you think of Dhimmitude as full citizenship?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:18pm

Of course a dhimmi has full citizenship. This has been comprehensively covered in the common misconceptions thread.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:21pm

They have full second class citizenship. You cannot honestly claim that what Dhimmis get is anything close to citizenship.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:31pm

Firstly, it's certainly a universe closer than what any 'conquered' subject of the British empire ever got.

Secondly, what exactly constitutes citizenship?

A dhimmi is a citizen of the state. They pay taxes. they are entitled to a passport, they may travel freely within any part of the state, they are entitled to protection from the defence forces, they are entitled to any state benefits, Caliph Omar ibn al-Khattab (ra) establlished pensions for dhimmis. They are citizens, plain and simple.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 9:28pm

Quote:
they are entitled to any state benefits

Does any state benefit include equal protection under the law?

They are clearly a second class citizens. They are actively discriminated against.

Quote:
Firstly, it's certainly a universe closer than what any 'conquered' subject of the British empire ever got.

Wrong. Are you just making this up? Are you aware that the Australian Aborigines, the New Zealand Maoris, the American Indians, the Indians etc now have full citizenship of their own countries? None of this second class citizen crap that Islam imposes on non-Muslims.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 9:37pm

Dhimmis are, subject to different treatment under the law, in an  apartheid like way.
So citizens they may be, but  second class citizens, definitely.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 9:47pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:31pm:

Secondly, what exactly constitutes citizenship?

A dhimmi is a citizen of the state. They pay taxes. they are entitled to a passport, they may travel freely within any part of the state, they are entitled to protection from the defence forces, they are entitled to any state benefits, Caliph Omar ibn al-Khattab (ra) establlished pensions for dhimmis. They are citizens, plain and simple.

But how would a Caliphate benefit a dhimmi more than a secular state which by definition guarantees separation of religious institution and state? Wouldn't there be more certainty of equality under the law, regardless of belief, under secularism than any system with an established religion? Would you as a Muslim necessarily feel secure living in, say, a Papal state?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 9:53pm

Access to justice is one of the most fundamental rights of all, because if you cannot defend your rights in court, you have no legal rights. You have no protection. Everything you do is at the whim of the Muslims. It is ludicrous to suggest that non-Muslims welcomed this second class status with open arms.

Abu's most common example - that of Christian ships taking Muslims into Spain, is just an example of divide and conquer. It does not mean the spread was peaceful. Abu even concedes that they went in there to wage war, while at the same time arguing it was peaceful. It does not make sense. Every empire that has ever existed did that trick to the fullest extent possible. None of them spread peacefully.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 11:16pm

The Muslims took over Spain, went into France and slaughtered what minimal French military there were at Bordeux in the Battle of the River Garonne in 730.

Charles Martel the Hammer massed his army and went after the Ummayyad force in 732, eventually meeting them and tearing them to pieces. No more raids into France for the Muslims. The Frankish Knights cleaned them up, and lucky they did too.

But as far as the Muslims dancing around throwing rose petals to welcome a new age of enlightenment, that's just revisionist baloney. They rampaged around Europe, like they rampage around everywhere, and got stopped by The Hammer. And later by Christian armies in the Reconquista, who liked living under Islamic rule so much that they got rid of them completely.

People like The Hammer, King Richard the Lionheart - people with balls o' steel. These days, we've just got Dhimmis and Apologists aplenty.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 3:51am

freediver,

Quote:
Does any state benefit include equal protection under the law?

It's covered in the article, please read it before posing questions that've already been addressed.

Quote:
They are clearly a second class citizens. They are actively discriminated against.

How are they discriminated against exactly? Instead of just mindless sloganism, how about detailing why you think they're discriminated against, after reading the article of course.

Quote:
Wrong. Are you just making this up? Are you aware that the Australian Aborigines, the New Zealand Maoris, the American Indians, the Indians etc now have full citizenship of their own countries?

Australia, NZ and USA are not the British Empire, so that was pretty pointless. Just out of curiousity, how many years did it take the Aboriginals to be recognised as human beings rather than just part of the fauna?

Quote:
Abu even concedes that they went in there to wage war, while at the same time arguing it was peaceful. It does not make sense.

They waged war at the request of one of the Christian kings. After defeating the enemy, the Muslims were obviously the most powerful entity, and therefore the power fell into their hands. The Spaniards did enjoy living under Islam, and they prospered greatly, whilst their northern neighbours did not. Many converted to Islam, and many stayed Christians and fought in the defence of their Caliphate, this is all well documented fact.

helian,

Quote:
But how would a Caliphate benefit a dhimmi more than a secular state which by definition guarantees separation of religious institution and state?

That's a good question you've raised there. It's true that in previous times, Christian/European states were much more backwards and oppressive than the Caliphate, so it provided incentive for people to prefer Islam. But Islam, contrary to the opinions expressed here, is capable of keeping up with the times. One of the major incentives would have to be the financial one. Islam has much lower taxes than non-Muslim states (even though people here would have you believe otherwise).

Although the opponents of Islam regularly try to cast the Caliphate as some backwards totalitarian dictatorship, it's just simply not the case. Such a situation may have arisen at times in the past, but is certainly not the way the Caliphate is supposed to be. Obviously when re-establishing it, it would be done according to the original vision. Which includes Majlis ash-Shura (consultative assembly) and various other mechanisms detailed in the Islamic texts  that prevent corruption or usurping of the rights of the citizens of the state.

Quote:
Would you as a Muslim necessarily feel secure living in, say, a Papal state?

Do you mean the modern day Vatican? The modern day Vatican is just a token state, it doesn't even have real citizens. The Christian texts don't really guarantee any rights for non-Christian citizens in a Christian state, and the last papacy we saw was extremely anti-Islamic, slaughting Muslims left, right and centre. So perhaps not.

Calanen,

Quote:
And later by Christian armies in the Reconquista, who liked living under Islamic rule so much that they got rid of them completely.

As stated already those who carried out the reconquista were not native to the Iberian peninsula. They were Catholics from France and Italy.

It was a case of a neighbouring state attacking and eventually destroying the Caliphate there.

Btw, they also killed the Jews and even Christians en masse when they took over.

Quote:
People like The Hammer, King Richard the Lionheart - people with balls o' steel

Richard the lionheart? The one who Salah'ud-deen al-Ayyubi decisively whipped and expelled from the Muslim lands? He's your hero?  Grin

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print