Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does the end justify the means? (Read 3113 times)
locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Does the end justify the means?
Dec 15th, 2008 at 11:48am

Neitsczhe asked " If the end does not justify the means, than what does?

Are there means that are unjustifiable? Are there no ends that supercede all ethical obligations?

Using something Easel said in the Rumour Mill about the government starting gang wars? Most people here I'm sure understand the value and protections offered by due process but also understand the appeal of proactive gloves off approaches to end misery.

Hiroshima for instance. There are a great many people who see that nuclear attack as a war crime. But was it justified or not? I am the son of one who was involved in that conflict. He thought it was terrible but justified. In that the lives of hundreds of thousands of lives of allied soldiers that were saved by bringing the conflict to a close. As well as the lives of Japanese citizens and soldiers. He had no abiding animosity toward the Japanese having spent 3-4 years in japan as a part of occupational duties and again during the Korean conflict. Still he felt it was justified.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Does the end justify the means?
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 12:24pm

It's the situation, not the end, that justifies the means.

I read Mandela's autobiography a while back and he made the claim that it was the oppressors, or the more more powerful side, who set the bar in any conflict. There were plenty of his comrades who thought all out war was the only way to go, but he held them back. However they did engage in some acts that would pass for terrorism. Yet he was in the end very successful at preventing a volatile situation turning to mass slaughter.

He compared himself with Ghandi, and pointed out the ghandi was not an ideological pacifist, but a situational pacifist. This was down to the British, who by that stage had learned that there is more gold in peaceful trade than in rape and pillage. They did not want another war. They held up the independence movement for as long as possible, but there was a limit to how low they would stoop in achieving that goal. They would not slaughter peaceful protestors, which meant that Ghandi was able to achieve independence relatively peacefully.

In both of these arguments you could have made a reasonable argument that the end justified any means. They were fighting for independence, and at some point people must be willing to sacrifice the lives of others, or even their own, for the right to self determination. But the situation did not justify the slauighter of innocent people.

Bringing it back to modern times, you can apply this to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Afghanistan was a genuine threat and the Taliban had repeatedly demonstrated an unwillingness to deal with the terrorists. More attacks were inevitable if the US did not destroy the threat. Iraq on the other hand did not present the same level of threat. Economic sanctions were effective, if not in toppling Saddam, but preventing him from 'projecting power'. As far as the end goes, Iraq would seem to have had more of a justification for the means, as Saddam was an evil dictator. He had started more wars and killed more of his own people in a civilian context than the Taliban. But the situtation did not justify it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 12:46pm

Yes, I think they are good points especially in regards to the situation element to the equation. It is unnecessary to use a sledge hammer to break eggshells to make an omlette.

The point about Mandella is indeed that he very well could have led the black people of Africa on a killing spree that would have been the equal to genocide in Africa and there would have been many in his ranks that felt that was justified, but he also saw that the new South Africa needed to be welcomed into the world community and behaving with dignity and generosity would have greater benefits. I do not wish to take anything away from the man, because he may very well been the saviour of millions but it is an intersting argument of where altruism ends and self interest takes over.

I agree with the afgan war analogy, and the world is better of without Saddam. But there were more expedient ways to get rid of him.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Jim Profit

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:43pm

I believe means justify the ends.

It sounds the same but I intend it to mean differently. Ends in and of themselves don't impress me. But the means do. And no, I don't mean "good" measures like peaceful protesting or "working within the system". But violent ourbusts and pipebombs.

If a person is really intending to stir the pot, and focus on change. Then he needs to be willing to do anything. He eeds to prioritize how important this is to him. If he's disgusted with the people and the system. What does it matter if they think him good or evil?

Do it for the sake of doing it. Nothing turns me off more then cowardice.

But I still believe there's something left for you and me.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:48pm

Welcome to OzPolitic Jim.

What if the outcome of your actions only makes the situation worse? What if you become a bigger problem for society than what you are protesting against? What if you trigger even more violent reactions from your opponents?

You sound like the sort of person who believes in benign dictatorship.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:54pm

Everybody dies in the end no matter what means they use.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Jim Profit

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 9:17am

freediver wrote on Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:48pm:

What if the outcome of your actions only makes the situation worse? What if you become a bigger problem for society than what you are protesting against? What if you trigger even more violent reactions from your opponents?

This is actually fairly what I look like. Glasses, smile, and what he's saying lol!

I like violence. I like the passionate outcry of anger and death. I think it's what makes us human. Humans feel, humans are dangerous and chaotic. A human's actions cannot be predicted, and that's why we conquer and grow stronger!

I don't know what "benign" means, I'll have to look that up. But I wouldn't mind a dictatorship if it was a dictator I could agree with on some key issues.. For the sake of the war, compromises must be made. And we are always at war. Against nations, against individuals, against friends, against ourselves...

A good book I read was Sun Tzu: The Art of War. I never read a book that captured how I feel so bluntly. It was more like a self-help guide then a stratagy on building an empire.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 9:22am

Jim Profit wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 9:17am:
http://hynavian.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hellsingultimate4-11.jpg
This is actually fairly what I look like. Glasses, smile, and what he's saying lol!

I like violence. I like the passionate outcry of anger and death. I think it's what makes us human. Humans feel, humans are dangerous and chaotic. A human's actions cannot be predicted, and that's why we conquer and grow stronger!

Killer nerd?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 9:26am

Quote:

I don't know what "benign" means, I'll have to look that up. But I wouldn't mind a dictatorship if it was a dictator I could agree with on some key issues.. For the sake of the war, compromises must be made. And we are always at war. Against nations, against individuals, against friends, against ourselves...

Are you allowed to carry a gun at work Jim?   Australia is a peaceful nation and we don't like dictators or war generally - so you might have some trouble integrating, although there are some extremist parties where you would be warmly welcomed.  

IP Logged

Jim Profit

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:21pm

Quote:
Are you allowed to carry a gun at work Jim?

Ofcourse I am. Infact I'd go as far as to say people trust me with their lives.

I'm an officer. lol! I've said it before but I don't mind repeating it as it's one of my greatest accomplishments. Something I'm very proud of. Smiley

Ofcourse I'm only a security officer. But then I don't really like the police, as I don't want to be heald responsible for minimizing riots or something when infact I might agree with what they're doing. As a security officer, my main job is to protect the property in which I'm assigned too. Ofcourse because of the fear of terror attacks and sometimes high crime rates in certain areas, I have to be trained anyway to handle those types of situations.

I don't really consider myself a dictator, I don't like telling people what to do. It's not in my nature. Being incharge requires alot of hardwork, discipline, and responsibility. I just want to walk around in steel toed boots, have a gun holstered to my side, and a nice shiny badge so people know to keep their distance.

And I don't consider myself a fascist either as I'm not really into racial or religious based organization. If anything, I'm more of a revolutionary thinker like Che Guevera in how I act and carry myself, and in my politics a constitutionalists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

The only ones I'd repeal are the 21st ammendment (state rights) and 18th ammendment (prohibition). Cause I think brewing alchahol in the tub is just fine, and we didn't win the civil war so state's could declare whatever laws they wanted outside the federal government's jurisdiction..

I wish my officer outfit looked like that.. lol!

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 3:23pm

Jim Profit wrote on Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:43pm:
I believe means justify the ends.

It sounds the same but I intend it to mean differently. Ends in and of themselves don't impress me. But the means do. And no, I don't mean "good" measures like peaceful protesting or "working within the system". But violent ourbusts and pipebombs.

If a person is really intending to stir the pot, and focus on change. Then he needs to be willing to do anything. He eeds to prioritize how important this is to him. If he's disgusted with the people and the system. What does it matter if they think him good or evil?

Do it for the sake of doing it. Nothing turns me off more then cowardice.

I think I understand why you may be considered an anarchist. I would have said that the means are defined by the end, otherwise they are meaningless.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2008 at 4:25pm by locutius »  

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 5:01pm

Jim Profit wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 9:17am:
freediver wrote on Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:48pm:

http://hynavian.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hellsingultimate4-11.jpg

A good book I read was Sun Tzu: The Art of War. I never read a book that captured how I feel so bluntly. It was more like a self-help guide then a stratagy on building an empire.

I will agree with you that war is very much a part of our nature, that we as a species and particularly males enjoy it. This is part of the human-animal, the next real step in our evolutionary progress is not physical but mental/spiritual. That is to recognise the human-animal as a valuable AND negative part of our current dominating position on this planet. It is time to start becoming human-beings, to better ourselves and lay the ground work for future generations. Reduce world populations and return vast tracks of the globe to wilderness. There will be plenty of challanges and adventure for the restless.

I aslo agree with you that if you go to war you go with total committment. Like the saying says "Go hard or go home!" That goes for the nation as well. It should be geared to win. But it is better not to go to war. You've read Sun Tzu and enjoyed it. Good, because that is one of his key points and in fact his ultimate goal. Victory without war is the most preferable,

Quote:
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Quote:
In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good.

Quote:
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Liking violence is a strange admission? But not unique and maybe not even interesting. As for us growing stonger, I think the human races constant position of war with each other, ourselves, and nature is actually making us weaker and ultimately extinct. "Technological giants but moral infants." Spoken by one of the so-called conquered. In fact our continued war with nature seems particularly infantile and vengeful for the hard time nature gave us in the last 3 million years.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Quote:
I will agree with you that war is very much a part of our nature, that we as a species and particularly males enjoy it.

Yeah, sure, which is why they have often needed conscription in the past, and it has been opposed, and you get deserters, and mutinies.
Roll Eyes

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 8:06pm

Personally, I prefer killing things that don't fight back - much. While a war would be a rush when the action is on, I don't think I would particularly enjoy it, either the long periods of complete boredom or the short periods of complete and utter terror.

IP Logged

Jim Profit

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 8:26pm

And ofcourse I don't agree with every war.

The war on terror for example. I'm strongly opposed to that. If anything I think we should try to make a deal with The Islams and make them allies or atleast neutral. Ofcourse with my anti-zionist/Muslim apalogist attitude I'm sure you already knew that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print