Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Did this child deserve to die? (Read 25773 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Did this child deserve to die?
Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:40pm

"A senior policeman has defended the actions of fellow officers who shot dead a teenage boy at a skate park in Melbourne's north last night, claiming the youth said "I'm going to kill you" before he was gunned down.

The boy has been named as Tyler Cassidy, 15.

At a press conference this morning, Assistant Commissioner Tim Cartwright said the officers had been confronted by the knife-wielding boy at the All Nations Park in Northcote.

Assistant Commissioner Cartwright said the boy had threatened the officers with knives while saying to one officer, "Kill me, I'm going to kill you."

He said the threatened officer backed away into a stairwell. The cornered officer then fired on the boy as did two others as they tried to defend their colleague.

Assistant Commissioner Cartwright said the police officers had done everything they could before opening fire on the youth.

"I don't think the police were trigger happy but that's why we have the coroner," he said.

"The members have reacted as we would want them ... they've ultimately had no choice."

He said it was not known how many shots were fired and the incident was over in a matter of two to three minutes.

The teenager is believed to have stolen two knives from a nearby Kmart after threatening staff.

Assistant Commissioner Cartwright said the youth had earlier tried to take kitchen knives from his home but his family had disarmed him.

He said there was no suggestion the boy suffered from mental illness or was drug-affected at the time. It was not known what had triggered his rage.

"The family's rightly very, very upset," he said.

Police were called to the Northcote Plaza Shopping Centre car park about 9.20pm yesterday after receiving up to four calls from the public about an agitated male carrying knives.

Assistant Commissioner Cartwright said the officers - two female constables, a leading senior constable and a senior constable -  had tried to calm the armed teenager who ran a short distance to the skate park before approaching one of the police officers and threatening to kill them.

Seconds after a warning shot was fired into the ground, three of the officers shot at the youth who was standing up to 14 metres away.

"This is a dreadful tragedy,'' Assistant Commissioner Cartwright said.

He defended the actions of the officers and said they had been trained to fire at the central body mass rather than shoot to wound.

"The movies would portray that you can shoot to disarm people. That's not our experience. These are events that are life-threatening. People are extremely nervous, agitated, scared."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/kill-me-ill-kill-you-shot-teens-warning/2008...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Did this child deserve to die?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:13pm

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't know if they have a shoot to wound policy, but he had the cop cornered anyway. we cannot expect the police to put themselves in even greater danger in these situations.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:16pm

Someone waving a knife at armed police threatening to kill them is a serious health hazard.

I would not do it !!!!

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:19pm

In fact I think he is a candidate for the Darwin awards.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:19pm

mantra wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:40pm:
"

He defended the actions of the officers and said they had been trained to fire at the central body mass rather than shoot to wound.

"The movies would portray that you can shoot to disarm people. That's not our experience. These are events that are life-threatening. People are extremely nervous, agitated, scared."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/kill-me-ill-kill-you-shot-teens-warning/2008...

Yep, that's what they are trained to do and rightly so. Was it justified? I guess there will be an investigation but on what has been presented then that would be the expected outcome. Calling the individual a child is probably generous.

Chopper Read was as big if not bigger than most men at 15 and quite dangerous. Cornered in close proximity to a knife weilder that is physically capable of killing or wounding you accompanied with verbal intent to do just that. Do ask the criminal to fill out a personal history questionaire or do you decide it's better for his family to grieve rather than yours.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:27pm

Natural Selection at its best.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:36pm

Quote:
Chopper Read was as big if not bigger than most men at 15 and quite dangerous. Cornered in close proximity to a knife weilder that is physically capable of killing or wounding you accompanied with verbal intent to do just that.

He might have been small and skinny.  It's a wonder the police haven't got some sort of net they can throw over people - or dart guns.   The Victorian police will probably be supplied with Tayser guns now if they haven't already got them, but they are renowned for shooting a lot of people.

I find it difficult to imagine that 4 properly trained police couldn't overpower a 15 year old.  Three of them opened fire - but then again they probably weren't much older than the victim and panicked.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:38pm

They could have overpowered the kid. But they might not have. That's the point. They might have died trying. The police have every right to put their own life first. They are not there to help knife wielding maniacs. They are there to protect everyone else from them. They did not panic. They did exactly what they are trained to do.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 5:33pm

It's really sad, but in that situation I think they did the right thing. He didn't go down after getting the pepper spray, so I think that says something.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:34pm

On tonight's news, they reported that he subscribed to a white supremicist group, and that he had threatened others with the knifes before the police arrived, and also that he shouted that he wanted to die.

Now if I was faced with a crazy person with a knife, who says they want to die, then I would certainly be prepared to shoot them if I felt I was in imminent danger.

That is the call that the police made, and if the reports are correct, it does seem justified.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 9:46pm

mozzaok wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:34pm:
On tonight's news, they reported that he subscribed to a white supremicist group, and that he had threatened others with the knifes before the police arrived, and also that he shouted that he wanted to die.

Quick, check - are we missing any regular posters from the multicultural board?

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 10:44pm

Surprised me till I heard it was the Vic police...

You gotta wonder where common-sense comes in or does it give way to police procedure instead.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 11:14pm

muso wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 9:46pm:
mozzaok wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:34pm:

Quick, check - are we missing any regular posters from the multicultural board?

Did you check under your bed and in your closet for wacists before you went to bed last night, Muso? Roll Eyes

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:00am

Rubbish!
What sort of a cowardice police force do we pay for who cannot disarm a 15 yr old kid?
No, he wasn't even a particularly well built 15 yr old.

"He said the threatened officer backed away into a stairwell. The cornered officer then fired on the boy as did two others as they tried to defend their colleague.

It was in a skate park! Where did the cornering occur?

If you listen to this video in the link below, you'll hear the Freudian slip by the assistant police commissioner  "It's dreadful that we use ...umm err..lose young people in any circumstance...."
And if you look at the scene, you'll realise that the police action was reprehensible and unforgivable.
It was after 9pm at night, there wasn't much public danger....not many kids were skating in the dark.
They drum him up as a white supremicist....hmm... very topical.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/teen-shot-dead-by-police-20081211-6wtt.html

Give me a simple baton, and I'd take on a kid with a knives well before ever thinking of shooting to kill. And also without even thinking that there were 3 other trained police officers present to subdue the situation.

This is simply a precurser to the widespread introduction of tasers.
But would tasers have been a better option in this situation? I doubt it. Batons would be far more effective.
And a better option would have been "net guns". This kid would've been easily immobilised with 4 officers firing net guns on him - no bravery or morality required.

For the police who commited this heinous act, I hope they go crazy trying to live with their subserviant actions. They deserve it.

It's the apathetic public who continues to fall for this continuous cycle of :
1. Political and media drumming for more control in a certain area.
2. An event which supposedly justifies the beating of the drum.
3. Public acceptance and submission.

It's as easy as 1,2,3 to control us free Australians with this simple technique.

But not the Greeks it seems.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28131093/

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:38am

Amadd wrote on Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:00am:
Rubbish!
What sort of a cowardice police force do we pay for who cannot disarm a 15 yr old kid?
No, he wasn't even a particularly well built 15 yr old.

"He said the threatened officer backed away into a stairwell. The cornered officer then fired on the boy as did two others as they tried to defend their colleague.

It was in a skate park! Where did the cornering occur?

If you listen to this video in the link below, you'll hear the Freudian slip by the assistant police commissioner  "It's dreadful that we use ...umm err..lose young people in any circumstance...."
And if you look at the scene, you'll realise that the police action was reprehensible and unforgivable.
It was after 9pm at night, there wasn't much public danger....not many kids were skating in the dark.
They drum him up as a white supremicist....hmm... very topical.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/teen-shot-dead-by-police-20081211-6wtt.html

Give me a simple baton, and I'd take on a kid with a knives well before ever thinking of shooting to kill. And also without even thinking that there were 3 other trained police officers present to subdue the situation.

This is simply a precurser to the widespread introduction of tasers.
But would tasers have been a better option in this situation? I doubt it. Batons would be far more effective.
And a better option would have been "net guns". This kid would've been easily immobilised with 4 officers firing net guns on him - no bravery or morality required.

For the police who commited this heinous act, I hope they go crazy trying to live with their subserviant actions. They deserve it.

It's the apathetic public who continues to fall for this continuous cycle of :
1. Political and media drumming for more control in a certain area.
2. An event which supposedly justifies the beating of the drum.
3. Public acceptance and submission.

It's as easy as 1,2,3 to control us free Australians with this simple technique.

But not the Greeks it seems.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28131093/

I also thought it was quite strange that the police shot down the teenager. Particularly when all he was holding were a couple of knives.

Don't they have martial arts training or something?

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 17
Send Topic Print