Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Muslim school plan draws Gold Coast protest (Read 9601 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Muslim school plan draws Gold Coast protest
Reply #30 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 12:40pm

Islam promotes war as a way to proselytise, as well as a whole heap of other nasty ideas. I'm pretty sure the JW's don't.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

bliss

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #31 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 12:54pm

Quote:
I think the sect expects more than sharing, otherwise the penalty for apostasy would not be severe or exist at all. The aim of proselytization is to induct new members into the faith, not just to share.

As you said........'you think'.

I say..........'i know'

Please explain what you mean by the above quote. What is the JW penalty and what does apostasy have to do with witnessing?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #32 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:07pm

bliss wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 12:54pm:
Quote:
I think the sect expects more than sharing, otherwise the penalty for apostasy would not be severe or exist at all. The aim of proselytization is to induct new members into the faith, not just to share.

I say..........'i know'

Please explain what you mean by the above quote. What is the JW penalty and what does apostasy have to do with witnessing?

Shunning, for example, is a possible penalty for apostasy, is it not? The aim of proselytization is to induct new members into a faith from which there are prohibitions about leaving. The aim is not just to share but to bind.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:10pm

Shunning an apostate is not the same as forbidding them from leaving. I'm not sure what you expect helian, but this is getting a bit absurd. Some cliques will operate with the same MO. IMO, this is the appropriate way to respond to someone who rejects what you stand for. You can't force people to be your friend.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:21pm

freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:10pm:
Shunning an apostate is not the same as forbidding them from leaving. I'm not sure what you expect helian, but this is getting a bit absurd. Some cliques will operate with the same MO. IMO, this is the appropriate way to respond to someone who rejects what you stand for. You can't force people to be your friend.

Shunning has enormous psychological consequences, it is not at all passive and amounts to emotional blackmail, the kind which is also employed by the exclusive brethren. Why can a son or daughter not reject religious fetishes when he or she is old enough without risking being shunned by the only parents and siblings he/she will ever have?

It is entirely immoral in a secular society to consider shunning as anything other than a pernicious form of coercion - a form of terrorism if you will.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:29pm

So waht are you suggesting? That we force people to be friends with those they don't want to be friends with? Some kind of big brother nanny state?

Sure it's tough when people reject you, but you cannot grant people freedom and prevent them exercising that freedom at the same time. This would have to be one of the most benign ideologies around. It certainly isn't terrorism. You make a mockery of the word by applying it here.

IP Logged

bliss

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #36 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:08pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:07pm:
bliss wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 12:54pm:
Quote:

I say..........'i know'

Shunning, for example, is a possible penalty for apostasy, is it not? The aim of proselytization is to induct new members into a faith from which there are prohibitions about leaving. The aim is not just to share but to bind.

Shunning, for example, is a possible penalty for apostasy,

Apostasy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Apostasy (IPA: /əˈpɒstəsi/) is the formal religious disaffiliation or abandonment or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy. In a technical sense, as used sometimes by sociologists without the pejorative connotations of the word, the term refers to renunciation and criticism of, or opposition to, one's former religion.
Many religious groups and even some states punish apostates. Apostates may be shunned by the members of their former religious group[1] or worse.

Often, like myself, because we no longer associate and our ideas change, there is a mutual separation because there is no longer a common goal. It doesn't have to be nasty, it just seems to happen, people move in different directions. Shunning isn't exactly like executing someone for changing belief.

The aim of proselytization is to induct new members into a faith from which there are prohibitions about leaving.

The word 'witnessing' in reference to JWs means going to tell people about Jehovah and his word, bare witness too others. For me the preaching work was not a burden, I believed in what I was sharing and was happy telling others. By the time some one converts and is baptised they know what the deal is with disfellowshipping.

The aim is not just to share but to bind.

If JWs wanted to bind they would baptize infants and let people who convert become dedicated quickly and impulsively. Yet they don't. JW kids and converts study and answer questions to make sure they understand their responsability, have been going out witnessing and been regular at meetings..........before they are encouraged to dedicate themselves.

I know shunning causes much sadness but you can never compare how JWs and other religions deal with various sins, including apostasy
with this............

Apostasy in Islam
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Apostasy in Islam (Arabic: ارتداد, irtidād or ridda‎) is commonly defined as the rejection of Islam in word or deed by a person who has been a Muslim.

The four major Sunni and the one major Shia Madh'hab (schools of Islamic jurisprudence) agree that a sane adult male apostate must be executed.[1] They differ on the punishment for a female apostate - some schools calling for death and others for imprisonment. According to Wael Hallaq nothing of the apostasy law are derived from the Qur'an,[2] although the jurist al-Shafi'i interpreted the Qu'ranic verse 2:217 as providing the main evidence for apostasy being a capital crime in Islam.[3]

A minority of medieval Islamic jurists, such as Hanafi jurist Sarakhsi,[4] Maliki jurist Abu al-Walid al-Baji, and Hanbali jurist Ibn Taymiyyah,[5] and some contemporary Islamic jurists, such as Shafi`i Grand Mufti Ali Gomaa[6][7] and Shi'a Grand Ayatollah Hossein-Ali Montazeri,[8] argued or issued fatwas that either the changing of religion is not punishable or is only punishable under restricted circumstances, but these minority opinions have not found broad acceptance among the majority of Islamic scholars.[9][10][11][12]

Some prominent contemporary examples of death sentences threatened or issued for apostasy include Salman Rushdie, who was condemned to death in 1989 by Ayatollah Khomeini, (ruler of Iran at the time) for his book The Satanic Verses; and Abdul Rahman, an Afghan convert to Christianity who was arrested and jailed on the charge of rejecting Islam" in 2006 but later released as mentally incompetent.[13]

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:16pm

locutius wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:10am:
Ban all private schools fullstop actually in my opinion.

And give the gov the monopoly on youth indoctrination?

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:22pm

freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:29pm:
So waht are you suggesting? That we force people to be friends with those they don't want to be friends with? Some kind of big brother nanny state?

Sure it's tough when people reject you, but you cannot grant people freedom and prevent them exercising that freedom at the same time. This would have to be one of the most benign ideologies around. It certainly isn't terrorism. You make a mockery of the word by applying it here.

It's true you can't force people to speak to anyone to whom they choose to shun. But it's still immoral to emotionally blackmail someone into choosing family ties over good conscience and it should be openly castigated as such.

As a form of punishment, shunning is emotional terrorism for those who are deeply scarred by it having lost parents, siblings or children.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:24pm

helian - bbrraawwhhhh  bbbrrraaawwwhhhhhh  bbrraawwhhhh  bbbrrraaawwwhhhhhh

"Those nasty JWs shunned me !!!!!!!!!"

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:24pm:
helian - bbrraawwhhhh  bbbrrraaawwwhhhhhh  bbrraawwhhhh  bbbrrraaawwwhhhhhh

"Those nasty JWs shunned me !!!!!!!!!"

Idiot.

Imagine how it would feel if your wife took the kids and indoctrinated them against you because you were an apostate.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:30pm

When you say emotional terrorism, are you trying to say it isn't actually terrorism, but you want to throw the word in there for a bit of guilt by association? That is like saying that firing someone is economic terrorism, or making bad food is culinary terrorism. It is childish.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:41pm

freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:30pm:
When you say emotional terrorism, are you trying to say it isn't actually terrorism, but you want to throw the word in there for a bit of guilt by association? That is like saying that firing someone is economic terrorism, or making bad food is culinary terrorism. It is childish.

No, it is a form of terrorising someone by using emotional ties to coerce him into acting against his good conscience. Terrorism by emotional means - emotional terrorism.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #43 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:52pm

hahahhahahahah - emotional terrorism !!!!!!!!

hahahaha - oh, stop it, you are killing me with humour terrorism !!!!

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

bliss

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:54pm

I asked what you based your info on, you said................

Quote:
My direct experience of them is at the door with their copies of The Watchtower.

then you say...................

Quote:
Imagine how it would feel if your wife took the kids and indoctrinated them against you because you were an apostate.

That's a lot to deduce from mags or a conversation with JWs at the door.

Even though I'm not a JW fan it annoys the crap out of me when people misrepresent others and shoot their mouths off without the correct facts.

Not all JWs practice shunning anyway, just like not all catholics practice fedelity, not all jews abstain from pork and not all muslims abstain from alcohol.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print