Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Family wants compo for $50 note image (Read 1916 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Family wants compo for $50 note image
Nov 27th, 2008 at 9:56pm

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24717726-421,00.html

A WELL-known Aboriginal activist has demanded the Reserve Bank of Australia pay damages to his family for using his great-uncle's image on the $50 note without permission.

Allan "Chirpy" Campbell, the great-nephew of David Unaipon, met with the Reserve Bank in Sydney on this morning, alleging permission to use the indigenous inventor and author's image was given by someone posing as a relative.

"She is not the daughter of my uncle, and they won't delete her from their files," he said.

The 61-year-old from Murray Bridge in South Australia said the Reserve Bank never consulted with the real family and he had proof the woman was not a relative.

"They've got to renegotiate this time a proper settlement, not a tea leaf, sugar and flour syndrome, you know," he said.

"They've got no proof, no papers to show she is his daughter."

Mr Campbell said as well as seeking a "fair dinkum settlement" he put a further three demands to the Reserve Bank.

"My lawyer has got to be paid for ten years' work," he said.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Re: Family wants compo for $50 note image
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 1:04am

Good on him.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 4:52am

F*ck him.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 7:53am

What does he mean "his lawyer has got to be paid for 10 years work?"  Has he been fighting the Reserve Bank for 10 years over this issue or is this other work he's talking about?

If he's been fighting the RBA for 10 years - it's obviously a lost cause and if his lawyer is owed money for other work - why has he only just noticed his uncle's picture on the $50 note?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 9:46am

I want compensation too.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

merou

Less Tolerance, More Shooting

Pilbara WA
Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 7:58pm

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! I agree with Phil.

Also, why has it taken so long to want some cash?
I bet he never even cared until his lawyer put the thought into his head.
Give him fu*k all !!

Shoot the scum and let God sort em out.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 8:05pm

Let's say your grandfather was some super duper war hero, and a club was established in his name, by someone pretending to be a member of the family who got paid a good amount for allowing the club to use the name.

Would you think that was wrong? I know I would.

It doesn't matter how long it took. Family matters are family matters. Pay the rightful decendants and get the bitch who pretended charged with fraud.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 9:06pm

What "right" does a grandson have over something his grandad did ?

he did nothing fo r it, there was no contract.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 9:14pm

Ever heard of inheritance? Family pride? Someone has profiteered from this family by pretending to be a member of it, when they aren't. Not cool.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 10:39pm

She may or may not have been his daughter, but is at the very least, his'"Cousin". Roll Eyes

Do the 'descendants'?, of all people whose images are used on banknotes request, or receive financial gain from the use of those images?

Most aboriginals who seek to see the self image, and broader communities' perception of aboriginals, enhanced, by recognising the contribution made by people such as his uncle, would accept that alone as a significant benefit.

This leads us to question whether he is just a greedy, selfish, and self interested jerk, whose actions could be said to be having the opposite effect than that which we have seen from the respect shown his uncle.

The only thing I would give him would be a swift kick to the 'goolies'.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 10:48pm

If the bloke was white and did the same as this Aboriginal did, would be be on a bank note? Is it political correctness why he is pictured on it?

Whatever it is, it doesn't matter.

The point is, money was paid to someone for use of a family image/heirloom/name/whatever, who wasn't family.

Therefore, this person should get done for fraud, and the money paid to the rightful receipients.

Don't Aboriginals have something against images of the dead anyway? I'm not sure.

Government should give the real family what they gave the fake family, adjusted for inflation, legal fees and more for trying to fob them off.

IP Logged

Flawed Logic

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:57pm

Do celebrities get compensation for papparazzi photos?

Do people get compensation for their photo appearing in encyclopedias?

Is the reserve bank profiting from the use of his image? Tricky one - they're profiting in the sense that they're "making money" with it.

What about that Aboriginal cricket team, that first one, did they get sponsorship money, or were they just doing what they were told?

Isn't there a limit on how long after his death they can complain. Like if I buy an antique photo, do I have the right to use it for any purpose, if I have paid for it, and the photographer and subjects are probably dead, or untraceable.

How much restitution could he have been in line for anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print